Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309479 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #5040 on: June 16, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »
Adding "right now" to the end of something, for reasons I cannot fathom.

"Are you kidding me right now?"   No, I'm kidding you tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned.

I would respond with that, because it's witty, and a great response for that question.

But I would also respond with this great allusion...

"Oh! You mean right now, right now. I can't do it right now, right now. when? shit, probably later...later, later. But not, right now, right now."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5041 on: June 16, 2021, 03:41:41 PM »
When you ask a question on Facebook and someone likes your post. What the hell does liking my question mean? Do you agree with wanting to know the answer to my question? Did you just blindly like the post without reading it?

I suspect some do it so they get notifications.  Like, maybe they do not want to answer, but they are interested in what others will say, so by hitting 'like,' they will then get notifications for all replies. That is my guess.

I dont believe you get notifications on things you like, only if you comment.  But my guess is because they support the question and want to know the answer as well.  Liking it gives the post more exposure.

This is the answer right here, in the hobby realm of Facebook at least.

Well then, I guess my guess was wrong. :facepalm: :rollin

I mostly avoid FB now like it's a house party playing Kiss music, so that's my excuse. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5042 on: June 16, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »
I hate when people rip on KISS.

Love you Kev!  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5043 on: June 17, 2021, 07:23:41 AM »
Yeah, me too!  :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5044 on: June 17, 2021, 07:31:16 AM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: June 17, 2021, 08:43:12 AM »
I mostly avoid FB now like it's a house party playing Kiss music, so that's my excuse. :P

I mostly avoid FB now too.  I will scroll through occassionaly, but posting/commenting/liking things is basically non existent anymore.  I've very much fallen out of love with Facebook. 

However, I have started to really like tiktok.  It's a bit different, but I am very much entertained by scrolling through my "for you" feed and it doesn't have that "personal" feel like facebook has. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5046 on: June 17, 2021, 08:52:26 AM »

I mostly avoid FB now too.  I will scroll through occassionaly, but posting/commenting/liking things is basically non existent anymore.  I've very much fallen out of love with Facebook. 

However, I have started to really like tiktok.  It's a bit different, but I am very much entertained by scrolling through my "for you" feed and it doesn't have that "personal" feel like facebook has.

There's great Meme groups and that's what Facebook has evolved into. People joining meme groups and posting and sharing memes. Some hilarious ones at that and some funny feuds happening there. Basically Facebook is now an entertainment site. 😂😂😂
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5047 on: June 17, 2021, 10:10:51 AM »

I went over 7 years without FB......went as far as deleting my old account totally. Then recently, I created a new account because I am organizing a fundraiser for a buddy of mine who out of nowhere found out he had lymphoma cancer and had a surgery. I was just going to run the page and then after the event log back out....which I still may do. BUT...I wasn't going to go the whole route of friending people and what not.

Well that fell through. After about a week I started getting some friend requests and I requested.....next thing you know I'm back in.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5048 on: June 17, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »

I went over 7 years without FB......went as far as deleting my old account totally. Then recently, I created a new account because I am organizing a fundraiser for a buddy of mine who out of nowhere found out he had lymphoma cancer and had a surgery. I was just going to run the page and then after the event log back out....which I still may do. BUT...I wasn't going to go the whole route of friending people and what not.

Well that fell through. After about a week I started getting some friend requests and I requested.....next thing you know I'm back in.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5049 on: June 17, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »
I just copied that gif to post here and you beat me to it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5050 on: June 17, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5051 on: June 17, 2021, 12:06:36 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5052 on: June 17, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
$10 says you can't name those two characters without Googling it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5053 on: June 17, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »

I should drop the Kramer slapping money on the table gif.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5054 on: June 17, 2021, 01:46:32 PM »
Is it wrong I could identify the scenes that those two gifs are from?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5055 on: June 17, 2021, 07:07:16 PM »

Hmm..is that $10 Canadian?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5056 on: June 17, 2021, 07:27:16 PM »

Hmm..is that $10 Canadian?

Either way, it's enough for a chocolate bobka.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5057 on: June 17, 2021, 07:28:03 PM »
What is bobka??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5058 on: June 17, 2021, 07:42:14 PM »
A dessert that also works if you get it with cinnamon.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5059 on: June 17, 2021, 07:55:37 PM »
I have only heard of a chocolate babka in that Seinfeld episode. I have never heard it in any other context. I had always assumed it was an East Coast thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5060 on: June 17, 2021, 08:04:12 PM »
Just steer clear of the black and white cookie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5061 on: June 17, 2021, 08:36:57 PM »
What about a marble rye*? From Schnitzer's, of course.

*Something else I have never heard mentioned in any other context.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5062 on: June 17, 2021, 08:40:22 PM »
Also Elaine has the power to dry out musicians mouths.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5063 on: June 18, 2021, 07:33:00 AM »
What is bobka??

It's babka, and I'd be surprised if you haven't had it in some form or another.   Monkey bread isn't that far removed from babka, at least in theory (the dough is slightly different, though).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5064 on: June 18, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »
What is bobka??

It's babka, and I'd be surprised if you haven't had it in some form or another.   Monkey bread isn't that far removed from babka, at least in theory (the dough is slightly different, though).

It is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5065 on: June 18, 2021, 09:06:58 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5066 on: June 21, 2021, 02:29:13 AM »
Back on Topic...

When your manager acts like you are literally wasting their money if you dare to stand still for a minute just to catch your breath or something. I fucking hate it.

I was in a job once where my manager literally without irony asked me "Why are you standing still?" as if my motion produces wages by some sort of kinetic energy ?!

I work in hospitality and we're not allowed to be seen to be standing around. Which I don't understand. There is always something to do, yes. But

if there's nothing immediately pressing to attend to - I guarantee the customers / diners don't give two shits if the staff are just standing around chatting.

if anything it looks like the team are all getting along / probably work hard and need a breather for a moment.

---

My job is the food runner so i have to carry a 4 ft wide tray full of plates for up to 7 hours every day. But if there is no food to run - and you get yourself a glass of water and lean on the

counter in the kitchen out of sight - someone will come along and be like " could you find something to do "

Um i've been doing something for that last 7 hours thanks. Mind if I have a rest for a minute ?

...And whilst we're on the subject - me working myself extra harder doesn't mean I get paid any more so jog on :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5067 on: June 21, 2021, 06:51:33 AM »
Back on Topic...

When your manager acts like you are literally wasting their money if you dare to stand still for a minute just to catch your breath or something. I fucking hate it.

I was in a job once where my manager literally without irony asked me "Why are you standing still?" as if my motion produces wages by some sort of kinetic energy ?!

I work in hospitality and we're not allowed to be seen to be standing around. Which I don't understand. There is always something to do, yes. But

if there's nothing immediately pressing to attend to - I guarantee the customers / diners don't give two shits if the staff are just standing around chatting.

if anything it looks like the team are all getting along / probably work hard and need a breather for a moment.

---

My job is the food runner so i have to carry a 4 ft wide tray full of plates for up to 7 hours every day. But if there is no food to run - and you get yourself a glass of water and lean on the

counter in the kitchen out of sight - someone will come along and be like " could you find something to do "

Um i've been doing something for that last 7 hours thanks. Mind if I have a rest for a minute ?

...And whilst we're on the subject - me working myself extra harder doesn't mean I get paid any more so jog on :tup

I know, I know, it's the bitch thread, but this complaint is mildly irritating to me, so here goes:

You KIND of had me up until here.  No, you're right, you're not making more, but big picture that's not the objective.  The entire operation isn't there for you to make more money.    From the perspective of the people talking to you, you're there to further whatever objective they have.   I don't know what business you're in, but I grew up in the construction industry, and at a time where margins were razor thin.   Me working harder wasn't a way for me to be paid more, it was a way for the leadership to get some air, get done faster, or to beat other obstacles like weather, zoning and subcontractors.   You do you, you have to make your own decisions, but unless you're honest with yourself and understand that that is comparing apples and oranges you're going to be disappointed.   

You said "food" so I imagine it's some sort of restaurant/service operation.  I've got no experience there, but I can easily see reasons where your break is of no concern to them.  Whether it's taking advantage of a slow time before the expected rush, whether it's to maximize your output to reduce later overtime, or whatever, or, unfortunately for you, whether there's no real reason at all, it's THEIR operation, not yours.

Not to be a smartass, but when my daughter got her first job - as a hairdresser - she was all "they want me in 15 minutes before the shift starts, but where's my f-ing money?!?"  and ""jeez, I was just five minutes late, WTF is the big deal?"   And we walked through how her boss - the owner - made money, and at first it made no impact.  But she got a new job and I don't know if it's older/wiser or something else, but she started coming in a little earlier, and making sure she was visible in the salon before her shift started, and it didn't take long before she started getting better assignments, started getting the better assistant help, and started to get the better customers and, go figure, two things happened: she started making better money, and when the inevitable COVID layoffs happened, she was kept on. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5068 on: June 21, 2021, 07:20:54 AM »
How my in-laws have conversations.

They don't get to the point.

They talk in circles without getting to a resolution.

It's like a long run on.

They have a slow process when they talk.

You better not interject during their time talking, they get pissed.

In the end I lose interest and just nod my head because I've checked out.

Even my wife can't take it anymore.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5069 on: June 21, 2021, 07:33:32 AM »
I don't know if it's the same thing or not, and I wouldn't say it's annoying, but my father-in-law - who I love, by the way - has this habit of trailing off sentences.  He'll start with words then just sort of trail off into noises and head nods.  I'm not always the best with hearing to begin with, so it makes conversations sometimes hard.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5070 on: June 21, 2021, 07:43:08 AM »
My father in law sounds like Archie Bunker.  My wife laughs her ass off when I pretend I'm him.  I'll mimic him talking about how to marinade chicken.  Ten minutes later, I still haven't explained and we both die laughing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5071 on: June 21, 2021, 03:45:23 PM »
I don't know if it's the same thing or not, and I wouldn't say it's annoying, but my father-in-law - who I love, by the way - has this habit of trailing off sentences.  He'll start with words then just sort of trail off into noises and head nods.  I'm not always the best with hearing to begin with, so it makes conversations sometimes hard.  :)

People that are telling you an anecdote but they fixate on the small details. Like

" I saw John the other day you'll never guess what he said.. It was a Tuesday... At noon. No it was 1 ... was it 1 ? or 12:30 ? No It must have been noon as i'd just watched the news before I left the house. Oh wait it was Wednesday as I... "

WHAT DID JOHN SAY

Offline Harmony

« Reply #5072 on: June 21, 2021, 04:59:40 PM »
Maybe we need an AITA? thread.

Long story short - a good friend is having a birthday party this weekend at his house.  But it's going to be hotter than hades and they don't have AC so I offered to host the party (12 ppl) at our fully AC'd house and they said that would be great.  So far so good, right?

One couple is traveling from about 5 hours away to attend.  During the pandemic they - along with about a million other people - got a puppy...an adorable puppy who is now about 9 months old.  Now I like dogs and I like puppies but we have 3 cats who beg to differ.  So I offered to host the party without thinking about this puppy situation and now that I'm saying, "Hey, I don't think it would be a good fit to have your puppy in our house can we come up with some alternative to where the puppy might be." the woman is saying they aren't going to come after all.

AITA?

It will be too hot to leave Fido outside and plus, he barks.  Normally this is not a big deal but that means they can't leave him alone in the hotel room.  And the other thing is that about a year ago, I had to contact our local animal control because our neighbors dogs were left outside to bark for HOURS and HOURS and they wouldn't do anything about it until they received an official letter that if they didn't deal with the barking they could be fined $500 per every 5 minutes of barking.  (It worked!) So of course, having a barking dog in our shady backyard would be very hypocritical of us.

I feel terrible that this is the deal breaker for them to come but at the same time this doesn't feel like my problem to have to manage.

Here I thought I was doing a good deed and now it feels like I'm the host sucking all the fun out of the party.   :yeahright
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5073 on: June 21, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »
Never in my life have I been invited to a party and thought to myself "I'm sure my dog/cat/fish will have a great time!" On a couple of occasions I have thought to myself "wow, what kind of asshole has to take his dog to somebody else's party?"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5074 on: June 21, 2021, 05:27:09 PM »
Is your friend whose birthday it is cool with this?

Hey, fuck 'em. Leave the fucking dog at home. It's not like it's a damn kid.