Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309739 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #5005 on: May 27, 2021, 06:34:04 PM »
Thats super annoying, they just changed the intersection near my house to now be a 4 way stop, instead of 2 way, and the confusion of people is beyond ridiculous for such a simple concept.

It reminds me of an ant that gets it's path disrupted.

The person's usual routine is disrupted, and if they don't know how to quickly adapt, they'll get confused. The adaptation of an ant is to find a way around that disruption and back onto the path.

A person should be able to quickly adapt and understand.

It's the routine of a person that is changes. And I'd they don't like to deal with change, or can't handle change, then they'll have a harder time adapting. I have no idea how or why people just suddenly become dumbfounded when change to their routine suddenly occurs.

If you read the signs on the roads, you would know what is coming up ahead. If you know the rules of driving and what to do in these situations, you can adapt. But, not many people know these rules, and what to do when in these situations that you run into while driving on the road.

Driving Education needs to make a come back in Schools, because over here, people just dont know how to handle situations or why you can't just suddenly stop and make a U-turn in the middle of the street...

Or why you need to use your blinker. I sometimes wish I had a bumper car so when someone doesn't use it and decided to suddenly turn, I could hit them and say, "I didn't know you where turning, I didn't see no blinker."

There were signs up for about a month saying the intersection was turning to a 4 way stop soon, but I think generally, 4 way stops confuse a lot of people for some reason.  Like they were never taught "right of way"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5006 on: May 28, 2021, 05:32:57 AM »
Along the grammar lines, over the 13 years I’ve lived in Oregon, in asking what one does for a living, a truck driver, without fail, says he/she “drives truck.” Not “drives a truck,” or “I’m in trucking.” It’s always “I drive truck.” I’d never encountered that phrase in the nearly 30 years I lived in Utah. And I thought it might be a regional thing here, but my wife who grew up in Wisconsin has said that same phrase as well. It perplexes me why they don’t include the “a” in there, but oh well. Whatever.

YES!  That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Another thing I see a lot is - apart from the wrong Your & You're, They're Their and There, using apostrophes wrong etc etc ( putting an apostrophe at the end of literally any word that ends in an s )

is not using one at all - for example - " He was playing xbox in my brother bedroom "  :| wait your bedroom IS your brother ?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5007 on: May 28, 2021, 06:33:47 AM »
Thats super annoying, they just changed the intersection near my house to now be a 4 way stop, instead of 2 way, and the confusion of people is beyond ridiculous for such a simple concept.

The person's usual routine is disrupted, and if they don't know how to quickly adapt, they'll get confused. The adaptation of an ant is to find a way around that disruption and back onto the path.

It's the routine of a person that is changes. And I'd they don't like to deal with change, or can't handle change, then they'll have a harder time adapting. I have no idea how or why people just suddenly become dumbfounded when change to their routine suddenly occurs.

If you read the signs on the roads, you would know what is coming up ahead. If you know the rules of driving and what to do in these situations, you can adapt. But, not many people know these rules, and what to do when in these situations that you run into while driving on the road.

Driving Education needs to make a come back in Schools, because over here, people just dont know how to handle situations or why you can't just suddenly stop and make a U-turn in the middle of the street...

Or why you need to use your blinker. I sometimes wish I had a bumper car so when someone doesn't use it and decided to suddenly turn, I could hit them and say, "I didn't know you where turning, I didn't see no blinker."

There were signs up for about a month saying the intersection was turning to a 4 way stop soon, but I think generally, 4 way stops confuse a lot of people for some reason.  Like they were never taught "right of way"

I have one right around the corner from me, and about every third time going through, SOMEONE is driving through with their "WTF!" arms in the air.  Haha.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #5008 on: May 28, 2021, 07:35:02 AM »

I have one right around the corner from me, and about every third time going through, SOMEONE is driving through with their "WTF!" arms in the air.  Haha.

This of course gets exponentially worse with more lanes facing a particular direction. There have been times when an intersection’s lights were out and suddenly I felt like I was driving in India.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5009 on: May 28, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »

Or being over-considerate and letting you go, when "right of way" says it's not your turn. I've seen this happen before, and me being me, I went while they were still going "after you" "no, you go" and waved and laughed.

4-way stops confuse people because you have to communicate without words to the other driver your intentions. You have to look them in the eye, so you can connect and understand through the eyes.

But if you understand "right of way" and it's in the driving test, you shouldn't have a problem understanding when to go, and won't even have to look at someone to know when to go.

People having high anxiety now doesn't help at all either.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5010 on: May 28, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »

Few years ago, I lived on a short one way street in upper Manhattan, less than 1/4 mile in total. For some reason the city decided to change the direction from one way going SE, to NW. The confusion that followed for a few weeks was scary but funny at the same time.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5011 on: May 29, 2021, 08:39:35 AM »
Car insurance rates. For no reason at all my car insurance rate went up 40% so I have to start the whole process of finding new car insurance. Annoying that every 2 years I essentially have to jump through hoops to get lower rates.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5012 on: May 29, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »

Few years ago, I lived on a short one way street in upper Manhattan, less than 1/4 mile in total. For some reason the city decided to change the direction from one way going SE, to NW. The confusion that followed for a few weeks was scary but funny at the same time.

Yeah, I could see how that would be a problem for a little bit, also that's quite an odd change.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5013 on: May 30, 2021, 08:43:45 PM »

Or being over-considerate and letting you go, when "right of way" says it's not your turn. I've seen this happen before, and me being me, I went while they were still going "after you" "no, you go" and waved and laughed.

4-way stops confuse people because you have to communicate without words to the other driver your intentions. You have to look them in the eye, so you can connect and understand through the eyes.

But if you understand "right of way" and it's in the driving test, you shouldn't have a problem understanding when to go, and won't even have to look at someone to know when to go.

People having high anxiety now doesn't help at all either.

What fucks it up the most from what I've seen, is people stopping way over the line (or not making a full stop at all) or stopping way before the line.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5014 on: May 31, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
Here's a minor thing. I'm thinking about how many missed opportunities I've had to meet Talk Wilkenfeld. I have such a big thing for her (both musically, and an all around huge crush on her).

A good friend of mine and now former coworker met her while working security at the Santa Barbara Bowl ( I had an invite to work that night but it interfered with my main job and couldn't do it 
)duringg a Who concert where Tal was opening, and a couple other friends met her at NAMM I think twice, on years that I didn't go. I also have had several concert opportunities that I missed.

One day, Tal... One day I'll get a chance to meet you but I'll be so awkward that I freeze up or seem like I'm just fucking crazy :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #5015 on: June 01, 2021, 06:45:59 PM »
Along the grammar lines, over the 13 years I’ve lived in Oregon, in asking what one does for a living, a truck driver, without fail, says he/she “drives truck.” Not “drives a truck,” or “I’m in trucking.” It’s always “I drive truck.” I’d never encountered that phrase in the nearly 30 years I lived in Utah. And I thought it might be a regional thing here, but my wife who grew up in Wisconsin has said that same phrase as well. It perplexes me why they don’t include the “a” in there, but oh well. Whatever.

Another thing I see a lot is - apart from the wrong Your & You're, They're Their and There, using apostrophes wrong etc etc ( putting an apostrophe at the end of literally any word that ends in an s )

is not using one at all - for example - " He was playing xbox in my brother bedroom "  :| wait your bedroom IS your brother ?!

....another irritating thing is how some people don’t understand what the word “literally” means.  ;)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5016 on: June 01, 2021, 07:49:15 PM »

....another irritating thing is how some people don’t understand what the word “literally” means.  ;)

That and when they say "to be honest" and give the most benign uncontroversial opinion. Often they use a combo: "To be honest, The Godfather is literally a great movie". Wow thanks for your honesty. It must've taken a lot of courage to give a favorable opinion on what is widely considered to be one of the best films ever made  :tup

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #5017 on: June 01, 2021, 08:19:23 PM »
People who say, “I don’t want to tell you your business,” and then proceed to do exactly that.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5018 on: June 02, 2021, 04:13:51 AM »
People who say, “I don’t want to tell you your business,” and then proceed to do exactly that.

Or, "no offense but <then proceed to say something offensive>".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5019 on: June 02, 2021, 07:12:40 AM »
I spent a good portion of the Memorial Day weekend burning off shows from my DVR.  For better or worse, that meant a lot of 20/20 or Dateline episodes, which means they were mostly crime stories.   Scott Peterson was one, the Heather Elvis killing another.

It was fascinating to me - and mildly irritating - how often people switched perspectives while talking: "I walked in the room. I saw her in bed with the mailman.  When you see that, you lose control and you just want to lash out. You want to hurt and you want to punish."

Well, no, that was your specific reaction.  Don't change the discussion to "you", implying that anyone would think that if they found themselves in that position.  I imagine the people don't even realize they are making that shift, but it's still, to me, a sign of insecurity and a gesture to try to justify their otherwise unjustifiable actions.  I'm sure some of it is the frequency illusion, but once you notice it, you can't help but see it everywhere.  (See what I did there? :) :))

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5020 on: June 02, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »

Except that, in the example given, the use of "literally" is apt.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #5021 on: June 02, 2021, 10:31:53 PM »

Is it really?  Using an apostrophe after every word ending in s?   Literally every word?  Really?

"That girl Alanis from Paris is as hot as fuck" is a sentence that these people would write like "That girl Alanis' from Paris' is' as' hot as' fuck"?

No, he is' literally using the word literally wrong.  Unless' I am unaware of what the real definition is'.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:48:12 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5022 on: June 03, 2021, 12:00:17 AM »

Is it really?  Using an apostrophe after every word ending in s?   Literally every word?  Really?

"That girl Alanis from Paris is as hot as fuck" is a sentence that these people would write like "That girl Alanis' from Paris' is' as' hot as' fuck"?

No, he is' literally using the word literally wrong.  Unless' I am unaware of what the real definition is'.   ;)

To be honest, I've literally never seen anyone put an apostrophe after ever word that ends in an "s".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5023 on: June 03, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »

Certainly not everyone, but for some people on social media?  Yes, literally.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5024 on: June 07, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
So, I'm ripping all my CDs (and DVDs) to a local hard drive.   I'm at "U" now, and I was going through U2 last night.  I came to the three singles I have for The Joshua Tree.   Now, I KNOW I have "With Or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found..." and "Where The Streets..." because they have unreleased songs as the B-Sides, and I've long had an expanded TJT on my iPod.  But when I went to rip them, "WIWY" was nowhere to be found.  Not in the pile I brought upstairs, or in the rack of CDs have yet to burn.  Now, I'm not at a real loss, since I have the b-sides from the Deluxe Edition of the album, but still, it's mildly irritating that I lost a CD like that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5025 on: June 07, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »
So, I'm ripping all my CDs (and DVDs) to a local hard drive.   I'm at "U" now, and I was going through U2 last night.  I came to the three singles I have for The Joshua Tree.   Now, I KNOW I have "With Or Without You", "I Still Haven't Found..." and "Where The Streets..." because they have unreleased songs as the B-Sides, and I've long had an expanded TJT on my iPod.  But when I went to rip them, "WIWY" was nowhere to be found.  Not in the pile I brought upstairs, or in the rack of CDs have yet to burn.  Now, I'm not at a real loss, since I have the b-sides from the Deluxe Edition of the album, but still, it's mildly irritating that I lost a CD like that.

I was wondering if you came across the single yet or if...

...you still haven't found what you're looking for.

I am so sorry. That was awful.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5026 on: June 07, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5027 on: June 07, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
Wow. Shameless.   

:) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5028 on: June 07, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
I was wondering if you came across the single yet or if...

...you still haven't found what you're looking for.

I am so sorry. That was awful.

I'm jealous I didn't think of this!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5029 on: June 08, 2021, 04:12:00 AM »

I'm not racist BUT

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5030 on: June 08, 2021, 04:20:08 AM »
Classic one - but when a website wants a ludicrously specific password for a website. One that you will never ever remember - and also - you can't have any of the passwords

for that site you've used previously. So every time your password expires - you have to spend 20 minutes thinking of a new one which fits the criteria.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5031 on: June 12, 2021, 03:34:18 PM »
When ppl say they're jamming a song - what they really mean is they're listening to it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5032 on: June 13, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »
When ppl say they're jamming a song - what they really mean is they're listening to it.

This song is my jam... :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5033 on: June 16, 2021, 08:40:15 AM »
When you ask a question on Facebook and someone likes your post. What the hell does liking my question mean? Do you agree with wanting to know the answer to my question? Did you just blindly like the post without reading it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5034 on: June 16, 2021, 08:41:59 AM »
 :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5035 on: June 16, 2021, 09:29:15 AM »
Adding "right now" to the end of something, for reasons I cannot fathom.

"Are you kidding me right now?"   No, I'm kidding you tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5036 on: June 16, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »
When you ask a question on Facebook and someone likes your post. What the hell does liking my question mean? Do you agree with wanting to know the answer to my question? Did you just blindly like the post without reading it?

I suspect some do it so they get notifications.  Like, maybe they do not want to answer, but they are interested in what others will say, so by hitting 'like,' they will then get notifications for all replies. That is my guess.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5037 on: June 16, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »
Adding "right now" to the end of something, for reasons I cannot fathom.

"Are you kidding me right now?"   No, I'm kidding you tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned.

I seriously laughed out loud!  I'm gonna giggle about this all day now.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5038 on: June 16, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »

I suspect some do it so they get notifications.  Like, maybe they do not want to answer, but they are interested in what others will say, so by hitting 'like,' they will then get notifications for all replies. That is my guess.

I dont believe you get notifications on things you like, only if you comment.  But my guess is because they support the question and want to know the answer as well.  Liking it gives the post more exposure.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5039 on: June 16, 2021, 10:48:58 AM »

I dont believe you get notifications on things you like, only if you comment.  But my guess is because they support the question and want to know the answer as well.  Liking it gives the post more exposure.

This is the answer right here, in the hobby realm of Facebook at least.