Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309476 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4935 on: April 21, 2021, 01:14:04 PM »
I'm sure the permit has something to do with changes made by the county and / or are connected to the hugely devastating fire season California had last year. Which honestly I TOTALLY understand.

But it should have been disclosed at booking. Not a month later in the form of a lie.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4936 on: April 22, 2021, 04:10:44 AM »

Dogs.

But mainly how much people just worship dogs like they're literally angels who are sent from god to save humanity and would jump on a grenade for their master...

When you boil it right down - most people say "oh they're loyal" and that's it. Whilst cats aren't always loyal - they're just better in every other possible way.

I love animals and don't mind cuddling dogs when i'm out and about and it's a friendly one - but if Dogs just did not bark - i'd like them so much more.

It drives me mad. There is no need for that noise at all. I think dogs are the worst pets. Just for how needy and noisy they are vs how much you get back from them

( which is not much ).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:20:05 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4937 on: April 22, 2021, 06:02:24 AM »
I think dogs are the worst pets. Just for how needy and noisy they are vs how much you get back from them

( which is not much ).

I'm beginning to wonder if you're a dog?   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4938 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:32 AM »
How dare you !!

My spirit animal is a sloth.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4939 on: April 22, 2021, 07:57:42 AM »
Somehow I caught a cold. Not Covid. Don't other diseases know they need to take a break during a pandemic?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4940 on: April 22, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »
I grew up a cat person - we got my cat when I was 1 and a half, and moved into the house I grew up in, and she had to be put to sleep while I was off at college - but in later years I became a dog person.  I now have three dogs.   I'm sorry, I get the laconic nature of cats, and I can do without the sort of manic spasms of (especially a young) dog, but in my older age, the difference to me is looking deeply in the eyes of my pet and either seeing "I'm going claw your spleen out while you're sleeping and eat it for breakfast" (a cat), or "RUB MY BELLY! RUB MY BELLY! I have to pee.  RUB MY BELLY!" (a dog).  I much prefer the latter.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4941 on: April 22, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
When you boil it right down - most people say "oh they're loyal" and that's it. Whilst cats aren't always loyal - they're just better in every other possible way.

YMMV.

Cats shed and pee all over the place, don't shit in their boxes, and are often moody.  My dog doesn't do any of that (although she occasionally pees a little if she's excited and needs to go outside).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4942 on: April 22, 2021, 12:08:50 PM »
Cats are fucking evil.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4943 on: April 22, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
Cats are fucking evil.

And completely fucking ambivalent about it.

All dogs have ADHD (in a good way), and absolutely unconditional love.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4944 on: April 22, 2021, 12:21:00 PM »

YMMV.

Cats shed and pee all over the place, don't shit in their boxes, and are often moody.  My dog doesn't do any of that (although she occasionally pees a little if she's excited and needs to go outside).
If you have a cat that is peeing all over the place there is either a medical problem or a lazy owner that doesn't clean the box enough (or have enough boxes). My cats do not pee all over the place or shit outside of their boxes.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4945 on: April 22, 2021, 12:27:01 PM »
In the 7 years I've had my cat, he's never once pissed or shit outside of the single litter box he has in the basement.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4946 on: April 22, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
Ya'll are lucky then.  We had one cat that was just like that.  The other cat (stray that jingle.daughter and mrs.jingle took pity on) has been wildly inconsistent.  It's not a health issue - we've spent thousands diagnosing that and it's not a lack of boxes (we had four going at one point when we had 2 cats).  It's behaviour - and once they find a spot they mark and get used to, it's virtually impossible to get them un-used to it.  We've been able to find a resolution by using dog training pads, calming plug-ins (which are not cheap) throughout the house, and putting her food source in the areas she used to pee in, but there's still the odd time she goes somewhere on the floor.

Three dogs, never once peed in the house (after they were trained), and only a couple of accidents (when sick, or coming off of anaesthesia)

I get it ... people are usually either dog or cat people.  I've got no beef for anyone who is the latter. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4947 on: April 22, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »
I grew up a dog person, still love them, but am also now a cat person and have 1 cat.  Just easier as a single working dude to have a cat over a dog as a pet.  But I got to say, I never really have the feeling my cat wants me dead.  He's super affectionate with me, maybe more so than a dog it's just shown differently.  It's more of a respect than an unconditional love.  I'd totally get a dog again though, I do kind of miss that charm of one. 

Historically for me, a dog is much harder to potty train than a cat and much more inconsistent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4948 on: April 22, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »
Cat people who think dogs are loyal and stupid, and dog people who think cats are evil and ambivalent about it. Tim gets a pass because I know his judgement is shit, he thinks it's alright not to return a cart to the corral.

Just mildly irritating though, otherwise I love you all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4949 on: April 22, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
I've got one of each, and they're both chill AF. The cat can sometimes be a dick and try to get some of the dog's food, and he hates when I interrupt his morning porch time to take a photo like the one above, but he's cool otherwise. I never even considered having a cat until this one ended up with me, but I'm sold now. They're good buds.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4950 on: April 22, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
Well this cat does look slightly evil and ambivalent about it :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4951 on: April 22, 2021, 02:35:18 PM »
Well this cat does look slightly evil and ambivalent about it :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4952 on: April 22, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »
When we went to the County Animal Control to pick out a kitten 21 years ago (that's when we got my sainted Margret-Elizabeth who's been dead these past 2 years) I was agonizing over picking one--she was to be my birthday present...my prrreciousss. I spotted a tiny snow-shoe, seal point Siamese frolicking clumsily about her cage while her brother was using the litter box. As soon as he was finished and hopped out of the box, she jumped in and buried his shit! I looked at the attendant and said, "I want that one."  :lol

Nineteen years together and she didn't once pee outside her box...well, I guess that's not accurate. There was the one time she peed on the dog's bed, but that was justified--he had it coming.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4953 on: April 22, 2021, 03:21:58 PM »
I've got one of each, and they're both chill AF. The cat can sometimes be a dick and try to get some of the dog's food, and he hates when I interrupt his morning porch time to take a photo like the one above, but he's cool otherwise. I never even considered having a cat until this one ended up with me, but I'm sold now. They're good buds.

See that photo is everything I was writing about; that cat is thinking "I can lacerate a kidney four different ways."   That dog is thinking "My balls.  Wait, food, yeah.  Food.  No, wait, my balls."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4954 on: April 22, 2021, 03:51:06 PM »

See that photo is everything I was writing about; that cat is thinking "I can lacerate a kidney four different ways."   That dog is thinking "My balls.  Wait, food, yeah.  Food.  No, wait, my balls."

And I've thought "I could pit maneuver you so bad right now" on 84 about a billion times  :lol I like to think of that look as his way of flipping me the bird.

Norman has no balls  :rollin

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4955 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:20 PM »
As an antisocial millennial who likes having her personal space respected, yeah I prefer cats. :-\
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4956 on: April 23, 2021, 06:41:18 AM »
So... change of pace here...

Grammar, more specifically the lack of articles and plurals.    I went to high school and I played hockey while there.   When we were juniors, we looked forward to going to THE prom.   My high school sucked at hockey, but as we got to senior year, the reality of making the state tournament was actually a reality and in my senior year, we DID make THE states.

Now, kids apparently go to prom, as if it's a verb and it is an action in itself.   My stepson's wife's mom runs a cheerleading "school" (in quotes because it's... I don't know what it is, but it's like those dumb shows, for real) and they go to nationals, again, like "national" means some action.   

It gets worse; since I've known her (no, actually, since she was 18 or so, but I mean, I've been experiencing it for eight years or so now) my wife has suffered from migraines, where she gets skull-shattering headaches, some so bad the only answer is a dark room and a soft bed because any movement is torturous.   There's a rash of new prescriptions out now for treating migraine headaches - pro tip:  none work all that well, at least on my wife - and so a rash of new advertisements about them. One we see frequently is one of the Kardashian mannekins talking about "migraine" and how this fantastic new compound will relieve your symptoms of "migraine" and make you want to, I don't know, super model or something.   I'm not sure, she's upstairs right now, but I'm almost positive that hearing Karen Kardashian talk about "migraine" to refer to THE migraine HEADACHES ("the migraines") that she's suffered with for 11 years (my wife was, is and always will be 29 in my heart!) actually GIVES her A migraine headache! 

Are we so lazy and/or insecure that we have to boost the importance of things and move SO fact that we now skip articles and reducing them to the singular?  I think we are!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4957 on: April 23, 2021, 06:48:47 AM »

Grammar, more specifically the lack of articles and plurals.    I went to high school and I played hockey while there.   When we were juniors, we looked forward to going to THE prom.   My high school sucked at hockey, but as we got to senior year, the reality of making the state tournament was actually a reality and in my senior year, we DID make THE states.

Now, kids apparently go to prom, as if it's a verb and it is an action in itself.   My stepson's wife's mom runs a cheerleading "school" (in quotes because it's... I don't know what it is, but it's like those dumb shows, for real) and they go to nationals, again, like "national" means some action.   

It gets worse; since I've known her (no, actually, since she was 18 or so, but I mean, I've been experiencing it for eight years or so now) my wife has suffered from migraines, where she gets skull-shattering headaches, some so bad the only answer is a dark room and a soft bed because any movement is torturous.   There's a rash of new prescriptions out now for treating migraine headaches - pro tip:  none work all that well, at least on my wife - and so a rash of new advertisements about them. One we see frequently is one of the Kardashian mannekins talking about "migraine" and how this fantastic new compound will relieve your symptoms of "migraine" and make you want to, I don't know, super model or something.   I'm not sure, she's upstairs right now, but I'm almost positive that hearing Karen Kardashian talk about "migraine" to refer to THE migraine HEADACHES ("the migraines") that she's suffered with for 11 years (my wife was, is and always will be 29 in my heart!) actually GIVES her A migraine headache! 

Are we so lazy and/or insecure that we have to boost the importance of things and move SO fact that we now skip articles and reducing them to the singular?  I think we are!

So funny about the use of "the". Us over on the west coast get made fun of for the exact opposite when it comes to interstates and freeways. We say take THE 101 to THE 60 then get on THE 17. But over on the east coast its take 101 to 60 to 17. How does that work? lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4958 on: April 23, 2021, 06:55:14 AM »

So funny about the use of "the". Us over on the west coast get made fun of for the exact opposite when it comes to interstates and freeways. We say take THE 101 to THE 60 then get on THE 17. But over on the east coast its take 101 to 60 to 17. How does that work? lol

I never noticed that, but it's spot on true!   I would NEVER think to say "I'm taking THE 95 to NYC".   HAHAHA.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4959 on: April 23, 2021, 07:06:07 AM »
 :lol

I still remember being in L.A. in the early 90's with my friend who moved out there and on a Tuesday night at 10:30pm there was a 6 lane traffic jam on the highway.  I looked at my friend and said, "How do you live here?"

It was insane how much traffic was there on a weekday night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4960 on: April 23, 2021, 08:01:37 AM »
LA traffic is beyond mildly irritating

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4961 on: April 23, 2021, 08:38:22 AM »

Oh boy..Stadler, you like to type out words, don't you. :lol

My son has his prom next week, and around here the prom is still THE prom. I've never heard it used singularly as in we're going to prom.

As far as "States" or "Nationals", aren't these really just..slang is too strong, but these words over time seem to have replaced "the state tournament" or "the national competition.

I order a "Coke", I do not order a "Coca-Cola". It's not lazy, it's just the evolution of language I guess.
It might even come out as "I'll have Coke".

I also like to listen to Maiden.

How about the reverse when Scorpions are referred to as THE Scorpions?

I suppose we could work in a few more "hithertos" and "henceforths". Maybe a "doth" here and there.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4962 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:42 AM »
Har har.   But I think you're slightly misunderstanding; if it was just slang, I wouldn't have written what I did (and yes, I was enjoying a coffee, putting off starting my work day and decided to write! It's relaxing, and enjoyable to me!).   I don't know how to put it into words, but the pharmaceutical commercial wasn't about "slang".  I don't know what it is, but I find it mildly irritating in the moment, in large part because I don't understand it.  I do think, though, that in some contexts it isn't "lazy" but it is sort of self-affirming.  You probably don't watch them, but there are shows out there that depict "stage moms" that take this shit dead seriously, and it's not slang to them, it's life.  Again, it's hard to describe because it's a vibe, a feeling, but it's almost sort of an inside "lingo" in order to elevate the seriousness of what they're talking about.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4963 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
Well, I was more busting than misunderstanding...though I was working pretty hard to understand.

My wife used to watch Dance Moms. There was another show too that had a black dance instructor. My wife happens to like to watch dance routines, but those shows are pure shit. I'll walk in, and she'll have Dance Moms on, and I'll be like WTF are you watching this for?

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness or insecurities. I just think language, like everything else, morphs a bit over time. Besides, isn't "migraine headache" redundant? Isn't having a "migraine" explanation enough?

Again, it's hard to describe because it's a vibe, a feeling, but it's almost sort of an inside "lingo" in order to elevate the seriousness of what they're talking about.   

But referring to the National competition as "Nationals", well, that does indeed elevate the seriousness of what they're talking about. It's really its own entity.

This isn't really a new phenomenon. My wife did gymnastics in high school and went to "States" (her words). And she graduated in...well..before you! I think those are terms inherent in those fields.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4964 on: April 23, 2021, 09:11:39 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness or insecurities. I just think language, like everything else, morphs a bit over time. Besides, isn't "migraine headache" redundant? Doesn't having a "migraine" explanation enough?

Well, yes, but even you said A migraine.  Keep your eye out for the commercial; she says it more than once:  "I suffer from migraine."   As if it's in and of itself a thing. Like syphillis.   

And again, I'm not losing sleep over it, but as someone who writes every day, and in my career sometimes will fret over one word, it's something that strikes me, and I don't understand it.  If you haven't picked up on it before, I don't like when I don't understand something.  :) :) :)

Again, it's hard to describe because it's a vibe, a feeling, but it's almost sort of an inside "lingo" in order to elevate the seriousness of what they're talking about.   

But referring to the National competition as "Nationals", well, that does indeed elevate the seriousness of what they're talking about. It's really its own entity.

This isn't really a new phenomenon. My wife did gymnastics in high school and went to "States" (her words). And she graduated in...well..before you! I think those are terms inherent in those fields.

Ask her!  Why did she say that instead of THE States?   Does Brady play in the Super Bowl, or play in Super Bowl? 

(I'm kidding; she'll think I'm insane and we'll never be able to meet for that beer and UFO listening party.  "Tim, you're not hanging with that internet wierdo!")

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4965 on: April 23, 2021, 09:18:56 AM »
Hah! If you had made it to Mohegan Sun last year you'd have met her, and heard UFO!! :)

I just think "States" and "Nationals" are...industry terms.

If you get a chance, maybe that commercial is on youtube and I can watch it to see what the deal is.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4966 on: April 23, 2021, 09:27:29 AM »

I get migraines (rarely thank god) and my understanding is that for some people it is a literal diagnostic syndrome.  So having a migraine means A headache.  Getting repeated migraines can be part of a syndrome collectively referred to as "migraine".  Does that make sense?  Just like people will say, "I have irritable bowel" which is a syndrome but not a singular episode.  So technically, I think the term is being used correctly in that annoying commercial.  And yes, I hate that one too but for different reasons.   :smiley:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #4967 on: April 23, 2021, 09:49:39 AM »
Along the grammar lines, over the 13 years I’ve lived in Oregon, in asking what one does for a living, a truck driver, without fail, says he/she “drives truck.” Not “drives a truck,” or “I’m in trucking.” It’s always “I drive truck.” I’d never encountered that phrase in the nearly 30 years I lived in Utah. And I thought it might be a regional thing here, but my wife who grew up in Wisconsin has said that same phrase as well. It perplexes me why they don’t include the “a” in there, but oh well. Whatever.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4968 on: April 23, 2021, 09:55:38 AM »

Wait...what?  The 17 is up near Santa Cruz.  You can't get there from the 60!   Oh...wait....

But yeah...When I first went back east to visit my then-girlfriend/now-wife's family, it was one of the first things I noticed.  I'd repeat back directions with "the" added before freeway (errr....highway) names, and I'd get the weirdest looks.

Yeah...this sort of stuff has been around forever.  My kid's marching band went to "Championships" at the end of her first two years, and it would have sounded awkward to say, "we're going to THE Championships."

Ask her!  Why did she say that instead of THE States?   Does Brady play in the Super Bowl, or play in Super Bowl?

I'm not sure I could explain WHY it matters, but the obvious distinction is that "States" is plural, while "Super Bowl" is singular.  One says, "I got A migraine" but, when referring to the plural, one says, "I get migraines" (no article).

By the way, do you say, "I'm going to Wal-Mart" or "I'm going to the Wal-Mart"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4969 on: April 23, 2021, 10:08:38 AM »
Do we say DTF or the DTF?
fanticide.bandcamp.com