Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309435 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4270 on: October 07, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »
In three and a half years - and 60,000 KM ( 36,000 M ) i've had literally TWO major engine problems.

Two major engine problems over less than four years seems like an awful lot.  My last car, which I replaced in May 2019, had about 225,000 miles (362,318 km) over 13 years and never had a single engine problem.

The only problems I've had with my used car over the last 5 years has been battery dying and an AC thing. And I've driven it across the country.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4271 on: October 07, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
I work in IT, it's amazing to me people in this day and age still have no clue or etiquette regarding sending emails to 1000s of addresses in internal communication. I mean Outlook now has a feature that will warn you that you're sending this email to 50 people or over.

That then eventually follows up with the "Please take me off this chain" replies that follow. It's just mind boggling and more than mildly irritating.

Yea, these are astounding in many ways, also coming from an IT company which makes it even worse.  However, it kind of just makes me laugh and gives me a name to the people who aren't the brightest in the company  :lol

When I worked at Voya, we had a guy somehow reply-all to an email from the CEO when he was trying to email his daughter. It was baaaad. He was trying to send her an email, chewing her out with a bulleted list of how she was a disappointment, calling her ungrateful and saying something like "you can start by giving back the Florida Georgia Line tickets your mother and I got you". I don't know how you can possibly make such an error, but I felt kind of bad for the dude. Talk about embarrassing.

:rollin wow, what an epic fail.  At least he didn't talk shit about the company.  I accidently sent my boss a text that was meant for some girl I was chatting with some years ago.  I felt like a total moron becuase the text was even work related, but it wasn't so bad as I only mentioned how I overslept and missed a call from my boss, which I had already admitted to him earlier as to why I missed his call so he was just a bit confused and then followed up iwth "at least you weren't bitching about me" I felt like such an idiot.

In three and a half years - and 60,000 KM ( 36,000 M ) i've had literally TWO major engine problems.

Two major engine problems over less than four years seems like an awful lot.  My last car, which I replaced in May 2019, had about 225,000 miles (362,318 km) over 13 years and never had a single engine problem.

I know nothing of bikes, so I can't say if that's a lot or little of problems but for a car, I would say that's terrible for that mileage.  But I won't fault or make fun of someone who chooses the economical and more environmentally friendly vehicle and deals with the issues over just wasting money and polluting the earth because you can.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4272 on: October 07, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »
Take care of it.   That oil change every 4,000, 4,500 miles is the best money you'll ever spend.

... or so Quaker State would like you to believe.

Oil changes that frequently are a product of the oil companies and quick-service auto shops like Jiffy Lube.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html (published in 2013!!!)

The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend.

After interviews with oil experts, mechanics and automakers, one thing is clear: The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Failing to heed the service interval in your owner's manual wastes oil and money, while compounding the environmental impact of illicit waste-oil dumping.

One GM car Edmunds drove went 13,000 miles before the monitoring system indicated the need for an oil change. We sent a sample of that oil to a lab for analysis. The results showed that the oil could have safely delivered at least another 2,000 miles of service.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4273 on: October 07, 2020, 01:07:07 PM »
Yea, I just let my car tell me when to get the oil changed which is closer to 10k miles.  I stopped following what Jiffy Lube told me many years ago.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4274 on: October 07, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »
But I did ride well over 55,000 KM in that time. And the engine may not have been getting enough oil.

Also to be fair - we don't know what the current problem is. The previous one did involve taking the whole engine apart

but it was simply a bearing casing which had cracked - spilling bearings into the engine.

The rest of the engine was still pristine so not that big of a deal - just time and work.

---------

EDIT : Finally I should probably point out that I bought the bike outright. Brand Spankin' New for £1,500.

And I reckon it's doing great for that price.

It only costs £15 to fill the tank to the brim and I get 250 miles out of that.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4275 on: October 07, 2020, 01:19:52 PM »
I work in IT, it's amazing to me people in this day and age still have no clue or etiquette regarding sending emails to 1000s of addresses in internal communication. I mean Outlook now has a feature that will warn you that you're sending this email to 50 people or over.

That then eventually follows up with the "Please take me off this chain" replies that follow. It's just mind boggling and more than mildly irritating.

Yea, these are astounding in many ways, also coming from an IT company which makes it even worse.  However, it kind of just makes me laugh and gives me a name to the people who aren't the brightest in the company  :lol

I got one for ya - years ago a Help Desk guy called and said so and so got an email about a potential virus and to forward this email to everyone in the global address list. At the time, there were about 10K contacts and mailboxes so I asked if she actually sent it and he said 'yes but don't worry, I had her recall the message' What!!!!  :omg:
For those of you who don't know sending a recall notice sends a recall email to every recipient you sent the email to. This was around 2001 and we had old servers, old hardware and slow network lines. To top things off, this was at 4:00pm on a Friday!! I just told the guy that we're going to have to wait it out so it will probably clear up some time Saturday.

I hung up the phone, grabbed my backpack and promptly left the office and started the weekend. I wasn't going to stick around fielding phone calls or them sayin we need to call Microsoft when I knew we just needed to let it go. This was an early version of Exchange that did not yet address error code "ID-10T"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4276 on: October 07, 2020, 01:24:10 PM »
Well, I'm old school.   The two newer cars are both 10k, my older X3 is... I think it's 7,500.    I usually follow that for both of those; my '99 Dodge pickup burns oil, so I change it more frequently even than that.  I do my own changes (except on the Volvo) so it's not that big a deal.

I think the underlying point, though, is it DOES need to be done.  And if I have a choice of pushing it 3,000 PAST where it does damage, and doing it 3,000 miles BEFORE it does damage, for $29.99 and a piece of paper towel (to check it yourself after someone services  it, which you should ALWAYS do), I'm going to spend the $29.99. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #4277 on: October 07, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
The trend to make packaging smaller to avoid price increases. Especially cereal.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4278 on: October 07, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
Fair point, Bill.  Better safe than sorry.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4279 on: October 08, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
This could go in the funny file, too, but I'll put it here since I was... well, irritated, but I was on a two-day, group Zoom mediation the last two days.  From about 11:00 eastern to about 9:30 at night, I had a Zoom window open, and a side-bar Teams window.   It was delicate, because there were about 40 people on the Zoom, so we had to make sure that microphones were muted, and what not, and we had to be conscious of echoes and things like that.

So Day Two, and I notice one of the junior guys on my team - junior in terms of hierarchy; he's a 50 year old man who should otherwise know better - is logged on twice.   He's got his computer and his phone tied into both.  Now, that means that one of the entries is taxing bandwidth, and is subject to cutting in and out.  He says it's "so he can get up and walk around" (even though he has headphones for the computer).   Every time the guy talked, for the first hour or so, it sounds like Lou Gehrig's retirement speech (I...I...I...I...consider myself...self...self...self...the luckiest man...man...man...man... on the face of the earth...earth...earth...earth.)    So he finally gets it resolved, and we pause the Zoom and go back to our side-bar, with our Senior Executives, our outside counsel and our outside consultants, and we hear this sound like a waterfall.

Guy's taking a piss.  On mic.   I don't know why I care, since he doesn't report to me, but I was mortified.  One of the execs heard it, and made a comment about it for the rest of the day.  It was funny to me, but it's not funny for him, I can tell you that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:27:11 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4280 on: October 08, 2020, 07:12:47 AM »
The trend to make packaging smaller to avoid price increases. Especially cereal.

It's nutrition, too.  My 12 year old got some unpleasant news with his last blood work (he's 12, but he's 5'11" and 235 pounds, almost none of it muscle) and so we've been teaching him how to look at labels and make good decisions (long story short: Dad feeds him four days a week, and easily 2 of the four every week is fast food of some kind.  Dad and stepmom are not slim, either.)

So I've noticed that the nutrition info is the same "Still only 100 calories!", but the sizes are much smaller.  They're not making them any healthier.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4281 on: October 08, 2020, 07:23:56 AM »
This could go in the irritating file, too, since I was... well, irritated, but I was on a two-day, group Zoom mediation the last two days.  From about 11:00 eastern to about 9:30 at night, I had a Zoom window open, and a side-bar Teams window.   It was delicate, because there were about 40 people on the Zoom, so we had to make sure that microphones were muted, and what not, and we had to be conscious of echoes and things like that.

So Day Two, and I notice one of the junior guys on my team - junior in terms of hierarchy; he's a 50 year old man who should otherwise know better - is logged on twice.   He's got his computer and his phone tied into both.  Now, that means that one of the entries is taxing bandwidth, and is subject to cutting in and out.  He says it's "so he can get up and walk around" (even though he has headphones for the computer).   Every time the guy talked, for the first hour or so, it sounds like Lou Gehrig's retirement speech (I...I...I...I...consider myself...self...self...self...the luckiest man...man...man...man... on the face of the earth...earth...earth...earth.)    So he finally gets it resolved, and we pause the Zoom and go back to our side-bar, with our Senior Executives, our outside counsel and our outside consultants, and we hear this sound like a waterfall.

Guy's taking a piss.  On mic.   I don't know why I care, since he doesn't report to me, but I was mortified.  One of the execs heard it, and made a comment about it for the rest of the day.  It was funny to me, but it's not funny for him, I can tell you that.

"Piss boy!"
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4282 on: October 08, 2020, 08:03:41 AM »
This could go in the funny file, too, but I'll put it here since I was... well, irritated, but I was on a two-day, group Zoom mediation the last two days.  From about 11:00 eastern to about 9:30 at night, I had a Zoom window open, and a side-bar Teams window.   It was delicate, because there were about 40 people on the Zoom, so we had to make sure that microphones were muted, and what not, and we had to be conscious of echoes and things like that.

Yea, this is hilarious to the people who are witness and dont really care and terrible for the person peeing and management that he reports to  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4283 on: October 08, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
This could go in the funny file, too, but I'll put it here since I was... well, irritated, but I was on a two-day, group Zoom mediation the last two days.  From about 11:00 eastern to about 9:30. . . .

Out of curiosity, was this because folks on the west coast were involved?

I feel fortunate that I've only had to deal with one Zoom mediation (and even with that one, I said I wasn't logging on until and unless I was actually needed).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4284 on: October 08, 2020, 10:42:13 AM »
Buying used cars. It's so hard to compare one to another when mileage and features vary so much. I'm not on a strict budget, so I find myself asking if it's worth paying $5k more for a two year newer vehicle with 30k less miles and a couple other nice to have features. It's so hard to know what's worth the extra money.

It's tough. I've been looking at some used cars myself and it can be a crap shoot. Maintenance records > low miles IMO, a well maintained car is better than a low mileage car. If you find a car that has crazy low miles that can be just as bad with dried out seals, gaskets, etc.

I'll add general car history to that. I'd take a car that did 10 years in Florida over an identical make and mileage that did 6 years in CT.

Why?  Aren't all like Florida drivers really bad?  :lol I think I get your point though, CT has terrible roads since I just drove across it via 84 last week.

The salt.   Your car corrodes when there's salt and water on it.   Granted, you have that in parts of Florida with the ocean spray, but you also have a fair amount of rain to compensate.    Having your car coated in that white "cake" all winter long is doing your undercarriage no favors.

The salt is the big one. The colder temperatures is another. Hitting a pothole when it's 90F is going to rattle your car a lot differently than hitting that same one when it's single digits outside. Stuff gets brittle when it's really cold, lubricating fluids and oils get thick, and electronics aren't too fond of it either. Also, the topography makes a difference. My car climbs more mountains in a day than someone's car in certain parts of Florida does over the course of its lifetime. With that could come inconsistent air/fuel ratios, and excess strain on the transmission and engine. 

Speaking of pot holes I drove through Philly for the first time and holy hell those roads are bad.

As far as the salt is concerned I spent most of my life on the east coast of florida within a 5 minute walking distance of the beach and neither of the 3 cars I've owned there had any issues with rust or salt in general. The only times we'd get salt caked on was when hurricane's would cruise through but it was quickly accompanied by rain.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4285 on: October 08, 2020, 10:44:21 AM »
In the year 2020, how does the term "mildly irritating" even come close?   ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4286 on: October 08, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
This could go in the funny file, too, but I'll put it here since I was... well, irritated, but I was on a two-day, group Zoom mediation the last two days.  From about 11:00 eastern to about 9:30. . . .

I feel fortunate that I've only had to deal with one Zoom mediation (and even with that one, I said I wasn't logging on until and unless I was actually needed).

The start time was because of the west coast; the mediator is in Napa Valley.   But the end times were actually not bad given it was a mediation; I've been at some that went to 11:00 or 12:00 at night.  For me, I was geared and prepared to go at least to midnight.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4287 on: October 08, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »

The start time was because of the west coast; the mediator is in Napa Valley.   But the end times were actually not bad given it was a mediation; I've been at some that went to 11:00 or 12:00 at night.  For me, I was geared and prepared to go at least to midnight.

More power to you...I refuse to go anywhere near that late.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4288 on: October 08, 2020, 12:44:40 PM »

More power to you...I refuse to go anywhere near that late.

Believe me, not my choice; I was the tail of the dog on that one!   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4289 on: October 08, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »
Hey Stadler, you’ve mentioned GE. Did you go through Ed Foreman’s Happy Camp?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4290 on: October 08, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
Hey Stadler, you’ve mentioned GE. Did you go through Ed Foreman’s Happy Camp?

Haha, no.   Stuff like it, though.  Sessions up at Crotonville, in New York.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4291 on: October 09, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »
When people bitch and moan about not being able to watch an entire season of a show and have to wait a whole week for another episode. Man. There's an endless ocean of content out there and you complain 'cause you're all about instant gratification. I for one like waiting a week and spending that week thinking about the episode I just watched and theorizing what's going to happen next and spending time dwelling on the plot and characters. You binge watch a whole season in a day or two and it's so much harder to concentrate on moments from episode 2 because you're on episode 8 that same evening. Grinds my gears
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4292 on: October 09, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »
When people bitch and moan about not being able to watch an entire season of a show and have to wait a whole week for another episode. Man. There's an endless ocean of content out there and you complain 'cause you're all about instant gratification. I for one like waiting a week and spending that week thinking about the episode I just watched and theorizing what's going to happen next and spending time dwelling on the plot and characters. You binge watch a whole season in a day or two and it's so much harder to concentrate on moments from episode 2 because you're on episode 8 that same evening. Grinds my gears

Yea, I guess I could understand more for the kids these days growing up with the instant gratification of binge watching TV shows, but personally, I have no issue waiting a week for the same reasons. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4293 on: October 09, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
Try growing up before streaming came along.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4294 on: October 09, 2020, 10:23:26 AM »
Try growing up before streaming came along.

How young do you think I am? I did. For 25 years. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4295 on: October 09, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
 :lol

But lets be honest.  You were young for most of it.  You weren't engrained to sit down at this exact time, with the family to watch one episode.  It's funny how spoiled we are these days.  Everything at the tips of our fingers in seconds.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4296 on: October 09, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »

But lets be honest.  You were young for most of it.  You weren't engrained to sit down at this exact time, with the family to watch one episode.  It's funny how spoiled we are these days.  Everything at the tips of our fingers in seconds.

Eh, my family's never been the kind to do group activities together let alone watch a show, but I was definitely engrained to sit down at a specific time on a specific day to watch new episodes for sure. I remember a few times missing new episodes for one reason or another and having no idea when I'd see them again, unless they'd play it a half hour before the next week's episode. We are way too spoiled today; the Internet has only made it worse.

My childhood was mostly VHS tapes. I was watching Mrs. Doubtfire when I was 4.  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4297 on: October 09, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »
People still watch TV shows?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4298 on: October 09, 2020, 10:32:22 AM »

Are you serious

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4299 on: October 09, 2020, 10:32:38 AM »

Yes Archie Bunker, we still do.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4300 on: October 09, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »
Speaking of DST - here is an interesting article:

https://www.almanac.com/content/stopping-daylight-saving-time

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4301 on: October 09, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
Speaking of DST - here is an interesting article:

https://www.almanac.com/content/stopping-daylight-saving-time

I'm sorry but this cracked me up. 9 posts about TV and then 'speaking of DST'  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4302 on: October 09, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »

I still remember watching the final episode of Fresh Prince of BelAir with my family.  I know I'm not as old as you, but I still remember my childhood of being engrained with watching TV shows at certain times, and you better not miss it because there was no DVR or ondemand.  You'd have to catch the re-air, which required finding the right time to sit in front of the TV still.  You'd have to look at the TV Guide magazine to figure this stuff out.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4303 on: October 09, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
I remember being in the 11-12 year old range and looking through TV guides (booklet that came in the mail every week) to find out what TV-MA shows were playing on HBO and when. I used to have to plan and coordinate just for the chance to maybe see a pair of tits  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4304 on: October 09, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »

I still remember watching the final episode of Fresh Prince of BelAir with my family.  I know I'm not as old as you, but I still remember my childhood of being engrained with watching TV shows at certain times, and you better not miss it because there was no DVR or ondemand.  You'd have to catch the re-air, which required finding the right time to sit in front of the TV still.  You'd have to look at the TV Guide magazine to figure this stuff out.

True but as a kid you would watch by your dad's needs mostly.  Today, When you pick, you have cart blanch every night.