Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309504 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4235 on: October 06, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
We (Russia) did use DST but it was cancelled somewhere around 2011-2012 I think.

Curious to know what effects it had on the calendar (if any) or anything else.

I'm not sure if it had any global effect overall yet, definitely no changes in the calendar so far.

It was a bit sketchy with the DST because some phones would have naturally adjusted their time and for some you had to change it manually so we had a lot of "late to school/work for an hour" or "arrived an hour earlier" situations.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4236 on: October 06, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
Buying used cars. It's so hard to compare one to another when mileage and features vary so much. I'm not on a strict budget, so I find myself asking if it's worth paying $5k more for a two year newer vehicle with 30k less miles and a couple other nice to have features. It's so hard to know what's worth the extra money.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4237 on: October 06, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »
My ENT doctor’s office didn’t bother putting in any precertification paperwork in for the nasal surgery i had a few weeks ago and now a bill for $4600 showed up at my house  >:(

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4238 on: October 06, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »
Re: DST

It's annoying, but my only real issue is keeping up with my cousin in AZ. Half the year we are on the same time, the other half not.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4239 on: October 06, 2020, 02:00:32 PM »

It's annoying, but my only real issue is keeping up with my cousin in AZ. Half the year we are on the same time, the other half not.

Yup.  I once had a case with a client in Arizona that lasted a couple years.  Every time the time changed for us, it became a pain in the ass to figure out when to schedule conference calls (although only a one hour time difference wasn't that big of a deal).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4240 on: October 06, 2020, 02:05:18 PM »
My Grandad suggested there be a global "Internet" time. Then whatever timezone you are in - you could meet up at 17:30 Internet time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4241 on: October 06, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
Let's make it Pacific Standard Time. So I don't have to think about it too much.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4242 on: October 06, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »
My Grandad suggested there be a global "Internet" time. Then whatever timezone you are in - you could meet up at 17:30 Internet time.

Well, there is such a thing called Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) so that is kind of what you are talking about, I think.  Since my job operates in multiple time zones, we use UTC when scheduling anything to keep it less confusing.  I just googled UTC too out of curiosity and it does not use DST either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4243 on: October 06, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »
Let's make it Pacific Standard Time. So I don't have to think about it too much.

Pacific Time Standardised Daylight

or

PTSD

Then when people are late you can yell YOU WERENT THERE MAN !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4244 on: October 06, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

Complete non sequiter - but when anyone refers to someone they regard as legendary as a " GOAT " - it makes you sound like a fucking simpleton moron

and actually devalues the high regard in which you hold them.

Shit like " Oh man i cant believe David Bowie just died "

" Yeah man he was THE GOAT "

" You what ? "

" He was THE GOAT "

" Are....are you trying to be funny cause you sound like a 10 year old "

" Dawg it stands for Greatest Of All Time "

" Then fucking say that then and stop trying to sound trendy "

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4245 on: October 06, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »

Australia is really bad with this. We go from 3 different timezones without DST to 5 with it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:17:42 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4246 on: October 06, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »
when anyone refers to someone they regard as legendary as a " GOAT " - it makes you sound like a fucking simpleton moron

You just throw out insults without thinking, don'tcha?  GOAT is a common and well-accepted acronym.  If you do a bit of research you'll find that its usage probably dates back to the 1992 incorporation of G.O.A.T., Inc., a corporation that was set up to exploit intellectual properties associated with Muhammad Ali, who was fond of referring to himself as "greatest of all time."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4247 on: October 06, 2020, 04:36:59 PM »
I think the term GOAT is just getting too ubiquitous.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4248 on: October 06, 2020, 04:37:34 PM »

Complete non sequiter - but when anyone refers to someone they regard as legendary as a " GOAT " - it makes you sound like a fucking simpleton moron

and actually devalues the high regard in which you hold them.

Shit like " Oh man i cant believe David Bowie just died "

" Yeah man he was THE GOAT "

" You what ? "

" He was THE GOAT "

" Are....are you trying to be funny cause you sound like a 10 year old "

" Dawg it stands for Greatest Of All Time "

" Then fucking say that then and stop trying to sound trendy "

K Boy....you might need to chill.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4249 on: October 06, 2020, 05:50:49 PM »
Yeah, I don't mind it's use, generally, but stick to someone that might legit actually BE the "G.O.A.T.".   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4250 on: October 06, 2020, 05:56:04 PM »
Yeah, I don't mind it's use, generally, but stick to someone that might legit actually BE the "G.O.A.T.".

Totes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4251 on: October 06, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »

Totes.

I'm not, I'm not, I'm not, I'M NOT!

McGoats!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4252 on: October 06, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4253 on: October 07, 2020, 04:20:26 AM »
It's blates annoying tho...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4254 on: October 07, 2020, 06:00:08 AM »
Buying used cars. It's so hard to compare one to another when mileage and features vary so much. I'm not on a strict budget, so I find myself asking if it's worth paying $5k more for a two year newer vehicle with 30k less miles and a couple other nice to have features. It's so hard to know what's worth the extra money.

It's tough. I've been looking at some used cars myself and it can be a crap shoot. Maintenance records > low miles IMO, a well maintained car is better than a low mileage car. If you find a car that has crazy low miles that can be just as bad with dried out seals, gaskets, etc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4255 on: October 07, 2020, 06:18:01 AM »

It's tough. I've been looking at some used cars myself and it can be a crap shoot. Maintenance records > low miles IMO, a well maintained car is better than a low mileage car. If you find a car that has crazy low miles that can be just as bad with dried out seals, gaskets, etc.

I'll add general car history to that. I'd take a car that did 10 years in Florida over an identical make and mileage that did 6 years in CT.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4256 on: October 07, 2020, 07:18:12 AM »
Great point Chino!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4257 on: October 07, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »

I'll add general car history to that. I'd take a car that did 10 years in Florida over an identical make and mileage that did 6 years in CT.

Why?  Aren't all like Florida drivers really bad?  :lol I think I get your point though, CT has terrible roads since I just drove across it via 84 last week. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4258 on: October 07, 2020, 08:06:30 AM »

Why?  Aren't all like Florida drivers really bad?  :lol I think I get your point though, CT has terrible roads since I just drove across it via 84 last week.

The salt.   Your car corrodes when there's salt and water on it.   Granted, you have that in parts of Florida with the ocean spray, but you also have a fair amount of rain to compensate.    Having your car coated in that white "cake" all winter long is doing your undercarriage no favors. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4259 on: October 07, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »

Totes.

I'm not, I'm not, I'm not, I'M NOT!

McGoats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmUMg8r6ShQ

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4260 on: October 07, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »

I ended up buying a used car yesterday. I went with the more expensive one which had 30k+ fewer miles. I figure in the end that I'll get about 4 more years out of it having the lower miles, so I'm basically paying a little more now to extend out my next vehicle purchase. Plus I really liked the vehicle. Fancier than I probably need, but it'll be nice to have a vehicle that isn't the base model.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4261 on: October 07, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
Take care of it.   That oil change every 4,000, 4,500 miles is the best money you'll ever spend.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4262 on: October 07, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »

The salt.   Your car corrodes when there's salt and water on it.   Granted, you have that in parts of Florida with the ocean spray, but you also have a fair amount of rain to compensate.    Having your car coated in that white "cake" all winter long is doing your undercarriage no favors.

The salt is the big one. The colder temperatures is another. Hitting a pothole when it's 90F is going to rattle your car a lot differently than hitting that same one when it's single digits outside. Stuff gets brittle when it's really cold, lubricating fluids and oils get thick, and electronics aren't too fond of it either. Also, the topography makes a difference. My car climbs more mountains in a day than someone's car in certain parts of Florida does over the course of its lifetime. With that could come inconsistent air/fuel ratios, and excess strain on the transmission and engine. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4263 on: October 07, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
Yea, I was thinking the mountain driving plays a role too, but didnt think about the salt which makes sense. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4264 on: October 07, 2020, 12:09:42 PM »
When people at work constantly make fun of your "toy" motorbike which has done 60,000km in 3 and a half years - every time you replace something from wear and tear.

- New Chain ? Lol toy bike

- New tyre ? Lol toy bike

Ok I get it.

In three and a half years - and 60,000 KM ( 36,000 M ) i've had literally TWO major engine problems. :dunno:

Plus my 125cc is economical as hell. Can go the speed limit. Doesn't hold anyone up, can keep up with traffic and parts are dirt cheap. So.... :dunno:

:)

Online faizoff

« Reply #4265 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »
I work in IT, it's amazing to me people in this day and age still have no clue or etiquette regarding sending emails to 1000s of addresses in internal communication. I mean Outlook now has a feature that will warn you that you're sending this email to 50 people or over.

That then eventually follows up with the "Please take me off this chain" replies that follow. It's just mind boggling and more than mildly irritating.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4266 on: October 07, 2020, 12:27:02 PM »
I work in IT, it's amazing to me people in this day and age still have no clue or etiquette regarding sending emails to 1000s of addresses in internal communication. I mean Outlook now has a feature that will warn you that you're sending this email to 50 people or over.

That then eventually follows up with the "Please take me off this chain" replies that follow. It's just mind boggling and more than mildly irritating.

Those are the best.   You'd think if the volume of recipients was a problem for YOU, you'd be diligent enough to limit the reply to the original sender. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4267 on: October 07, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »

Yea, these are astounding in many ways, also coming from an IT company which makes it even worse.  However, it kind of just makes me laugh and gives me a name to the people who aren't the brightest in the company  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4268 on: October 07, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »

Yea, these are astounding in many ways, also coming from an IT company which makes it even worse.  However, it kind of just makes me laugh and gives me a name to the people who aren't the brightest in the company  :lol

When I worked at Voya, we had a guy somehow reply-all to an email from the CEO when he was trying to email his daughter. It was baaaad. He was trying to send her an email, chewing her out with a bulleted list of how she was a disappointment, calling her ungrateful and saying something like "you can start by giving back the Florida Georgia Line tickets your mother and I got you". I don't know how you can possibly make such an error, but I felt kind of bad for the dude. Talk about embarrassing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4269 on: October 07, 2020, 12:42:00 PM »
In three and a half years - and 60,000 KM ( 36,000 M ) i've had literally TWO major engine problems.

Two major engine problems over less than four years seems like an awful lot.  My last car, which I replaced in May 2019, had about 225,000 miles (362,318 km) over 13 years and never had a single engine problem.