Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309818 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4200 on: October 04, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »
I don't understand why people think DST is stupid

1. It serves no useful purpose.
2. It screws up my internal clock (and I have to adjust the couple of actual clocks in my house that don't automatically update).
3. The "spring forward" causes a spike in car accidents.
4. There is a causal link to an increase in heart attacks.
5. About 50 other reasons.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4201 on: October 04, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »
I am finding that having this discussion twice a year has gotten mildly irritating.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4202 on: October 04, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »

Because it throws people off and it leads to poor sleep and car accidents. It doesn't seem to serve the purpose it used to anymore.

??? I really don't get this. Daylight increases and decreases by hours throughout the year. People don't sleep the exact same amount of hours each and every night.

If the clocks go back and now it's a bit lighter at your usual bed time - go to bed an hour later...

It literally only affects you the one time.

Say you get up at 6am every day. Now you're getting up at "5". Whoop de do... Go to bed an hour earlier. Then carry on as normal...

----

To me it's the same Fuzzy Logic as when my grandad writes down his mileage each and every time he fills up his car to see if his car is getting less economical.

This comes with a wealth of problems. Chiefly - you have ZERO baseline.

You never top up the exact same amount of fuel every time as prices fluctuate and so will your total fuel volume by the penny.

Your car will never weigh the same twice. You carry different objects / passengers / you never make the exact same trips etc  etc etc...

i've just never understood it.

" Oh since my last refuel i've done 3 miles less - my car must be getting less economical "

OR youve driven a bit faster - youve carried more weight - you've made longer trips etc etc etc...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4203 on: October 04, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »
Nature is saying "Daylight Savings Time?!...WTF is Daylight Savings Time?"

Blame the inventor of keeping time on a clock, instead of using the cycle of the sun.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4204 on: October 04, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »

Blame the inventor of keeping time on a clock, instead of using the cycle of the sun.

Quite.

And if you go to bed at the same time every night and it's too light cause of DST - why weren't you complaining about it being too light 3 months ago when it WAS this light WITHOUT DST ?

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #4205 on: October 04, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »

Quite.

And if you go to bed at the same time every night and it's too light cause of DST - why weren't you complaining about it being too light 3 months ago when it WAS this light WITHOUT DST ?

Honestly i dont understand how an hour this way or that messes so many people up. I have never felt any different and i come from a family of chronic insomniacs. Saying all that, I do think dts is useless and we should get rid of it

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4206 on: October 05, 2020, 05:29:03 AM »
I don't have a beef with DST itself, just the nature of changing twice a year.  Let's pick one, and just leave it at that.  I don't mind the sun setting at 9pm or so at the height of summer, but it does kinda bother me that it's pitch black when I wakeup in September and October.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/sleep-daylight-saving-time-end/2020/08/28/213d3a0c-e8b8-11ea-bc79-834454439a44_story.html
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4207 on: October 05, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »
I don't have a beef with DST itself, just the nature of changing twice a year.  Let's pick one, and just leave it at that.  I don't mind the sun setting at 9pm or so at the height of summer, but it does kinda bother me that it's pitch black when I wakeup in September and October.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/sleep-daylight-saving-time-end/2020/08/28/213d3a0c-e8b8-11ea-bc79-834454439a44_story.html

The funny thing about Daylight Savings Time. It's a concept created by humans, not Nature. There is no such thing as DST in Nature.

So, it's humans creating an unnecessary idea due to them inventing the idea of keeping time on a clock, and getting themselves frustrated.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4208 on: October 05, 2020, 08:31:23 AM »

Quite.

Honestly i dont understand how an hour this way or that messes so many people up. I have never felt any different and i come from a family of chronic insomniacs. Saying all that, I do think dts is useless and we should get rid of it

I personally feel a bit groggy the next morning as you adjust, but it's not personally a big deal, but the data has shown it IS an issue for a lot of people.  Not everyone's internal clock runs the same. And from Chad's article he linked:

“There’s been accumulating evidence over the last several years indicating that daylight saving time in general, but even more importantly, the switches between daylight saving time and standard time, are deleterious to health in various realms: cardiovascular health, motor vehicle accidents and crashes, psychological health,” said M. Adeel Rishi, vice chair of the AASM’s public safety committee. Rishi added that the AASM’s position is consistent with the views of other major sleep organizations.

So it's not really about just me or you, but the science has shown it has a negative effect for many. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4209 on: October 05, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »

Quite.

I personally feel a bit groggy the next morning as you adjust, but it's not personally a big deal, but the data has shown it IS an issue for a lot of people.  Not everyone's internal clock runs the same. And from Chad's article he linked:

“There’s been accumulating evidence over the last several years indicating that daylight saving time in general, but even more importantly, the switches between daylight saving time and standard time, are deleterious to health in various realms: cardiovascular health, motor vehicle accidents and crashes, psychological health,” said M. Adeel Rishi, vice chair of the AASM’s public safety committee. Rishi added that the AASM’s position is consistent with the views of other major sleep organizations.

So it's not really about just me or you, but the science has shown it has a negative effect for many.

And the solution is as simple as Kowtow said...Just go to sleep an hour earlier. Your body won't know the difference as you already prepared for the hour loss.

But then the spring back time, isn't as bad because you gain an hour and tend to be early, causing not as much stress.

But it's all individual related and those things are all caused and created by the self. So it's an issue that can only be helped by the self.

And why I find it funny, and just in my mind am  :facepalm: about the unnecessary stresses Daylight Savings Time has caused in the present time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4210 on: October 05, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
Not everyone can just fall asleep an hour earlier, as I said, it's not really a personal issue for me.  I feel a bit groggy but am fine, but there's a portion of the population that struggles with it much more than you or I do as people have very different sleep schedules/bodies/circadian rythms...

But can someone list some positives of DST?  Like sure, maybe it doesn't bother you much or at all, but what's a reason to actually keep it?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4211 on: October 05, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
Not everyone can just fall asleep an hour earlier, as I said, it's not really a personal issue for me.  I feel a bit groggy but am fine, but there's a portion of the population that struggles with it much more than you or I do as people have very different sleep schedules/bodies/circadian rythms...

But can someone list some positives of DST?  Like sure, maybe it doesn't bother you much or at all, but what's a reason to actually keep it?

There's not. It's a creation thought to help farmers. But in reality and Nature, it's a deceptive concept. Their is no such thing as time, in nature, things take as much time as they need. No hurry, or rush to do things.

We Natives should be getting up with the sun as we pray to it every morning. We never had a sense of time, like a clock. We used the sun as a time keeper. And we never had a problem with farming...

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4212 on: October 05, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »

I'd like to know this too. I seem to remember that there was a costs savings for doing DST but I don't know for sure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4213 on: October 05, 2020, 09:32:02 AM »
Ok so i've been asking Dad for this Cymbal Set all year for my electric kit. ( Zildjian L80 20% volume Cymbals ) .

He's been like " yep yep "

Now my bike needs a new engine so I've got to get that for my birthday instead of the thing I actually want  :(

Because that's life.  Forever buying the things you need and never the things you actually want.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4214 on: October 05, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
Ok so i've been asking Dad for this Cymbal Set all year for my electric kit. ( Zildjian L80 20% volume Cymbals ) .

He's been like " yep yep "

Now my bike needs a new engine so I've got to get that for my birthday instead of the thing I actually want  :(

Because that's life.  Forever buying the things you need and never the things you actually want.

Do you really need the bike?... :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4215 on: October 05, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »
For work I do.

It's a 32 km drive each way.

There is a bus but it doesn't run all day every day.

I've been thinking of getting a job closer to home - but there really isn't much on offer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4216 on: October 05, 2020, 11:00:12 AM »

Because it throws people off and it leads to poor sleep and car accidents. It doesn't seem to serve the purpose it used to anymore.

??? I really don't get this. Daylight increases and decreases by hours throughout the year. People don't sleep the exact same amount of hours each and every night.

If the clocks go back and now it's a bit lighter at your usual bed time - go to bed an hour later...

It literally only affects you the one time.

Say you get up at 6am every day. Now you're getting up at "5". Whoop de do... Go to bed an hour earlier. Then carry on as normal...

That's only sensible if you are free to live your life without regard to the clock, which most people aren't.  I have to be at work 8am regardless of what the sun is doing, which means I need to get up around 6:30.  Your "reasoning" also fails to take account that events are scheduled by the clock, not by the location of the sun in the sky.

But the bigger issue is why fuck with the clocks in the first place?  If I recall correctly, the supposed reason for DST is to benefit farmers, which is now some minuscule percentage of the population, so the reason for having DST in the first place is no longer valid, so why continue with it?

I don't have a beef with DST itself, just the nature of changing twice a year.  Let's pick one, and just leave it at that.

Exactly.  I don't care if it's daylight time or standard time the whole year, but the biannual fucking with the clocks is annoying.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #4217 on: October 05, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
A former patient of mine suggested splitting the difference between the two and adjust the time only 30 minutes, then just leaving it there permanently. A good compromise if the rest of the world is on board, and one I’m in favor of.

Do other countries use DST? Or just some in North America and Europe?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4218 on: October 05, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
I have to ask, though:   what happens when there's a family emergency, or a family event (a wedding, for one), or a vacation with a long travel time and sleep gets thrown off for a day or two.  What happens then?   

I'm not looking to be a jerk, here, just to understand.  Because maybe it's my life, but "DST" is a logistics issue for me - switching clocks - and not really much more.   I guess it's just my world, because my bedtime can vary from 10:00 pm to 2:00 am depending on my day (previous), my day (tomorrow), what I ate, what's bothering me, what's doing with my kids, what's doing with my family...  so for me, "DST" doesn't really move the needle.   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:39:37 PM by Stadler »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4219 on: October 05, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »
We (Russia) did use DST but it was cancelled somewhere around 2011-2012 I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4220 on: October 05, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »

Overwhelmingly North America and Europe.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/DST_in_the_world_%28Detailed_and_labeled%29.png

I have to ask, though:   what happens when there's a family emergency, or a family event (a wedding, for one), or a vacation with a long travel time and sleep gets thrown off for a day or two.  What happens then?   

To whom are you addressing this question, and what does it mean?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4221 on: October 05, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/DST_in_the_world_%28Detailed_and_labeled%29.png

It's an open question to the group, and it means, what happens when life throws off your schedule by an hour or so?   I'm really trying to understand how DST impacts people.   There's no judgment here, just understanding.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4222 on: October 05, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »

It's an open question to the group, and it means, what happens when life throws off your schedule by an hour or so?   I'm really trying to understand how DST impacts people.   There's no judgment here, just understanding.

You adjust and life goes on, the same with DST.  The difference, is one (DST) impacts everyone at the same time for no real reason.  Shit that happens in your personal life is usually for a reason and usually only impacts yourself and maybe those close to you.  And if you are still trying to understand, read the article Chad posted which I quoted earlier about how there is an impact.

I've said before, it's not a big impact on me personally, especially as someone who used to travel through time zones consistently, one hour lost/gained doesn't rock my boat too much, but why do we force everyone to make such an adjustment even if it's fairly minimal overall? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4223 on: October 05, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
I don't doubt there is impact (though, it's interesting that the article notes the bad things in March - 6% increase in traffic accidents and 18% increase in medical mishaps - but doesn't say if there's a corresponding decrease in November!); I just am not sure that stopping DST is the only way of fixing it.   

Believe me, I'm all in on anything that addresses the psychological well-being of our country (I happen to be of the opinion that our LACK Of psychological well-being, generally, is a root cause of a LOT of issues).

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4224 on: October 05, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »
Yes - you will adjust over time but DST to me is similar jet lag where depending how much he difference in time, you quite literally time travel. When I would travel for work, it was easier traveling from Central to Eastern time Zone but when I traveled to California - whoa Nelly was that hard too get adjusted!

I wonder if eliminating DST would effect our calendar at all?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4225 on: October 05, 2020, 02:02:26 PM »
Side bar:  I love the phrase "Whoa, Nelly" and I still use it fairly often.   Funny story, though: when I was still an engineer working construction, my office hired a receptionist named "Nelly" and she was gorgeous.  One of my colleagues thought it was hilarious to say "Whoa Nelly!" as a way of hitting on her (this was way before #MeToo) and it took on kind of a new meaning...   :) :) :)

Offline emtee

« Reply #4226 on: October 05, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
When you get up at 3:30 am to go to work- - which is brutal enough - - dialing the clock back one hour is impactful. DST needs to end. Pick one and stick with it. Farmers have tractors with lights.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4227 on: October 05, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
We (Russia) did use DST but it was cancelled somewhere around 2011-2012 I think.

Curious to know what effects it had on the calendar (if any) or anything else.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4228 on: October 05, 2020, 02:40:21 PM »
You adjust and life goes on, the same with DST.  The difference, is one (DST) impacts everyone at the same time for no real reason.  Shit that happens in your personal life is usually for a reason and usually only impacts yourself and maybe those close to you.  And if you are still trying to understand, read the article Chad posted which I quoted earlier about how there is an impact.

Exactly.  Go back to when I first responded to Walrus's incredulity about why folks think DST is dumb.  My #1 reason is that it serves no useful purpose, so there is no good that justifies the negative effects on folks.

Side bar:  I love the phrase "Whoa, Nelly" and I still use it fairly often.   Funny story, though: when I was still an engineer working construction, my office hired a receptionist named "Nelly" and she was gorgeous.  One of my colleagues thought it was hilarious to say "Whoa Nelly!" as a way of hitting on her (this was way before #MeToo) and it took on kind of a new meaning...   :) :) :)

I can't hear or see the term "Whoa, Nelly" without hearing it in Keith Jackson's voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUucjaNg_M

Farmers have tractors with lights.

AND...actual farmers get up with the sun anyway.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:46:13 PM by pg1067 »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4229 on: October 05, 2020, 04:40:42 PM »

Now that is even more interesting. You end up either Losing Sun or Gaining Sun, and that would affect your body. The sun gives off certain energies to us while our side of the Earth is facing it. You would be getting either less sun energy or more sun energy than usual in your home environment.  I think that's why we get Jet Lag.

Now I wonder about the Eskimo living in the arctic. How their bodies have adapted to their Sun cycle, as it is different from ours.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4230 on: October 05, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »

Exactly.  Go back to when I first responded to Walrus's incredulity about why folks think DST is dumb.  My #1 reason is that it serves no useful purpose, so there is no good that justifies the negative effects on folks.

Farmers have tractors with lights.

AND...actual farmers get up with the sun anyway.

:lol :lol

That is all I am saying, and giving reasons why DST only exists is because of the concept of using time. The world is so adamant on being on time, what time it is, and determined a set "24-hour" cycle of a day to be used by all. It was never used by all, only those who created that concept. Many places didn't have that concept of time and used an entirely different one based on the cycles of the sun, the moon, and the stars. It could also explain why there is a feeling of Long Days and Short Days. Your mind forgets about the concept of time when you're having fun, or enjoying the moment, and it causes time to pass faster. Also, when you are not having fun and not enjoying the moment, you focus on the concept of time and in turn, it slows it down.

DST is something we don't need at all, anyways. It's now proven to be more detrimental to us than it needs to be, so we should just stop relying on it altogether, and forget it ever existed.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4231 on: October 05, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »

I can't hear or see the term "Whoa, Nelly" without hearing it in Keith Jackson's voice.

That's where I got it from.  Saturday afternoons as a kid!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4232 on: October 05, 2020, 06:11:40 PM »

That's where I got it from.  Saturday afternoons as a kid!

He also did national baseball broadcasts in the 70s (and maybe into the 80s) and was GREAT at it and was the original Monday Night Football play-by-play guy.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4233 on: October 06, 2020, 05:28:34 AM »
As for the origins of DST ... https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is used to save energy and make better use of daylight. It was first used in 1908 in Thunder Bay, Canada.

However, the idea did not catch on globally until Germany introduced DST in 1916. Clocks in the German Empire, and its ally Austria, were turned ahead by one hour on April 30, 1916—2 years into World War I. The rationale was to minimize the use of artificial lighting to save fuel for the war effort.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4234 on: October 06, 2020, 05:36:54 AM »
When your Boss's secretary gets to make administrative and managerial decisions for the department because he's involved in an affair with her and he won't allow any criticism of her  :P

Sounds like a spicy situation. There is something similar unraveling at my work, thankfully I'm not a part of that team anymore. How big is the company you work for?