Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309638 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4130 on: September 14, 2020, 07:26:18 AM »
*shrug*

I guarantee if I jumped in front of a train tomorrow - more people would be relieved than sad.

:dunno:

Not buying it.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4131 on: September 14, 2020, 07:32:48 AM »
Well at least I know I don't have the worst self-esteem on the board by a long shot.

You're selling yourself so short it's not even funny, bro.
Although I can't help but wonder: maybe the not wearing deodorant thing plays a factor here.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:43:40 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4132 on: September 14, 2020, 08:50:52 AM »
I can count my true IRL friends by the fingers on my one hand (4 people), but anytime I have any kind of the "no one will miss me" thoughts I imagine how much heartbroken I'll be if any of them dies on me. I imagine they would feel the same, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not to mention my parents, too.

Well at least I know I don't have the worst self-esteem on the board by a long shot.

Yeah, no shit. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4133 on: September 14, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »
27 years ago there were dating sites online? In 1993?

He didn’t say “dating sites”. Online was certainly a thing.

Jingle has it right.  It was something called The Sierra Network ("TSN").  The guitar player in my band had bought a computer and had discovered TSN.  It was something you dialed into via modem.  You could go into several different sub-sites, one of which was a D&D style role-playing game called Shadow of Yserbius, and this is was led me to get a computer of my own in June or July 1993 (a 486sx with a 256MB hard drive!).  There were also sub-sites where you could play Red Baron or board games, and one room was just a chat room.  You'd make crude avatars and include 2-3 bits of information about yourself.  That's where I met my wife.  We started by trading email and them moved up to phone calls and, after a few months, an in-person meeting.

By the way, this is also how I ended up getting a cassette of DT's 3/4/1993 show at the Limelight (which I subsequently bought on CD from the YJ Records store) and how I ended up going to the 1993 Foundations Forum and meeting MP and Marlene.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4134 on: September 14, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
Damn that is some serious old school online dating

I remember having AOL 95 and chatting up with girls, even met one at a concert one time (this was closer to 2000 though when I was a teen) but that's nothing to actually meeting and marrying someone from meeting online in 93.  Kind of amazing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4135 on: September 14, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »
Damn that is some serious old school online dating

I remember having AOL 95 and chatting up with girls, even met one at a concert one time (this was closer to 2000 though when I was a teen) but that's nothing to actually meeting and marrying someone from meeting online in 93.  Kind of amazing.

The funny thing is that there was another girl (who was local) that I met (via *Prodigy) at about the same time I met my wife (who lived on the other side of the country).  The local girl and I went out once, and I really liked her, and I think she liked me.  The problem was that she was super busy because she was working on her music Ph.D.  I hadn't heard from her for a couple months, and then she called to invite me to something.  When she called, I was literally in bed with my now-wife!  We were not "occupied" at the time of the call, so I did answer the phone.  It's one of the bigger "what if" moments of my life.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4136 on: September 14, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »
The only thing that would make that story better is if you actually DID meet her in the Shadow of Yserbius sub-site.  :) :)

"Dad, for f---- sake, why did you name me 'Yserbius'?"

"well, son..."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4137 on: September 14, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »
The only thing that would make that story better is if you actually DID meet her in the Shadow of Yserbius sub-site.  :) :)

"Dad, for f---- sake, why did you name me 'Yserbius'?"

"well, son..."

:lol :lol :lol

Now that you say that, I'm trying to remember if we ever considered "Sierra" for our daughter's name.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4138 on: September 14, 2020, 11:51:33 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4139 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »

Although I can't help but wonder: maybe the not wearing deodorant thing plays a factor here.

;D I shower and wear clean clothes every day and drink litres of water. i also have another wash when i get to work and If I need to throughout my shift.

:chill :heart :coolio

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4140 on: September 15, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
Mildly irritating: feeling left behind at your job. C'est la vie.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:22:54 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4141 on: September 15, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »
"Vintage" items on the Facebook marketplace. The word vintage is usually synonymous with something of high quality from the past, now it's code for "this old piece of shit I'm hoping to over charge you for".

I see this in pretty much every hobby I participate in. Old stuff, mostly garbage, being labelled with a "vintage" tag in the title with a ridiculous cost associated with it. This is a big problem with the RC car resale market right now. The thing is, a lot of platforms, mechanically, are very much the same as they were a decade ago. There are vehicles from 2004 that are still being made today, just with modern and more powerful electronics. So often I'll see used vehicles for sale, and the seller is trying to sell them with NiCAD or NiMH batteries, ancient controllers that require you to manually swap out chips to change frequencies, motors that haven't spun in a decade, and chargers that take 5 hours to charge a pack, assuming they don't burn your house down in the process. The vehicles are actually less desirable with these systems in them because literally no one wants them anymore. There's no "cool" aspect to using a 20 year old battery like there is an old engine. It's just an under-powered, dangerous, buzz kill. I'll pay more for a model in rolling chassis form with no electronics because that's less work for me in the long run. So many people say "yeah, but it comes with the batteries and a controller" and don't seem to understand how outdated and unusable the old equipment is. Modern ESCs can't even run off the old battery packs. It'd be like someone trying to sell you a 15 year old cellphone with a charger that doesn't connect to modern towers, but asking $175 for it because it's "vintage".

Not really sure where I'm going with that, but it's been pissing me off lately.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:48:23 PM by Chino »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4142 on: September 15, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »
"Vintage" items on the Facebook marketplace. The word vintage is usually synonymous with something of high quality from the past, now it's code for "this old piece of shit I'm hoping to over charge you for".

I looked up "vintage" on dictionary.com, and all definitions had to do with wine and wine-making grapes, which I found rather odd.  I then went to merriam-webster.com, which had non-wine-related definitions.  The only definition that had any element of quality were two entries for "vintage" as an adjective:  "of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality" and "of the best and most characteristic."  The latter definition is referring to usage like, "that solo is VINTAGE Petrucci!"  Every other definition indicated that "vintage" simply refers to age or source era.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4143 on: September 15, 2020, 05:20:29 PM »
I remember my Dad once remarking that "Value" used to mean getting more for your money.

Nowadays - "Value" just means cheap and nasty.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4144 on: September 15, 2020, 05:44:22 PM »
Nah, cheap and nasty has been around since at least 1989.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PupCVHZeBU
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4145 on: September 15, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
My God I forgot that song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4146 on: September 15, 2020, 06:35:05 PM »
This was the first song I thought of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVa9x4O8jlg
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4147 on: September 15, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4148 on: September 17, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
I know it's the oldest cliche ever but sports fans who say "we" when referring to teams. Motherfucker you sat on the couch and work a desk job. That's like me seeing Metallica and saying bro we killed that shit we ROCKED!! No you didn't! Stop!  :lol
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:02:59 PM by The Walrus »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4149 on: September 17, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
I know it's the oldest cliche ever but sports fans who say "we" when referring to teams. Motherfucker you sat on the couch and work a desk job. That's like me seeing Metallica and saying bro we killed that shit we ROCKED!! No you didn't! Stop!  :lol

It doesn't irritate me but it would never occur to me to congratulate someone when the team they root for wins a championship. "Hey Bob, congrats on the Yankees winning the series!" "Gee, thanks Tom!" Bob had nothing to do with that championship. There was no achievement on his part.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4150 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »
Exactly!  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4151 on: September 18, 2020, 04:29:09 AM »

I went to see Metallica !

How was it ?

Great ! WE played Battery !!!

Did you ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4152 on: September 18, 2020, 05:58:57 AM »
I know this has been debated to death but...

" You've got another THING coming... "

When the full phrase is " Well, if THAT'S what you think - then you've got ANOTHER think coming..." ***

To me - it would be the same as saying

" Well, if that's what you think - then THING again.. "

------

Disclaimer - yes this phrase is also grammatically poor but it IS the phrase.

------

Secondly - probably just me - but ( and it is just them ) when Americans put the word "out" after everything. Especially when it's extraneous

such as " When I was a baby I was adopted out ". It just makes me cringe for some reason.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4153 on: September 18, 2020, 07:12:26 AM »

Take back that Facebook post then.  That's not my graph! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4154 on: September 18, 2020, 07:21:04 AM »

Never.  I relish every chance to make fun of sports fans.  :lol Also wtf, that graph is about music, not sports  :lol
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:26:36 AM by The Walrus »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4155 on: September 18, 2020, 08:28:41 AM »
I know this has been debated to death but...

" You've got another THING coming... "

When the full phrase is " Well, if THAT'S what you think - then you've got ANOTHER think coming..." ***

To me - it would be the same as saying

" Well, if that's what you think - then THING again.. "

------

Disclaimer - yes this phrase is also grammatically poor but it IS the phrase.

------

Secondly - probably just me - but ( and it is just them ) when Americans put the word "out" after everything. Especially when it's extraneous

such as " When I was a baby I was adopted out ". It just makes me cringe for some reason.

It's all Rob Halford's fault.  There are a couple like that here.   "For all intensive purposes".   "Waiting on" (unless you are, in fact, a waiter).   "Plead the fifth" (it's technically "take the fifth"). 

But seriously, do NOT get me started on American idioms.   I physically cringe when people add "super" to things.  I'm SUPER excited for that concert.  I was SUPER surprised over the baby reveal.   I was SUPER angry that my pizza was cold.   I think the idea is to express energy and enthusiasm, but to me it just expresses "douche".   

I'm also completely done with the discussion of "journey".   You'll notice (and I've said this to my kids, albeit half-jokingly) that it's only the losers and runners up that talk of the "journey".    Shaddap.   You'd trade the journey in a New York minute for the grand prize, and you know it. 

It's a known fact (it's not but go with me here) that 98% of Americans do not know how to use the word "myself".  You would never say "Bob and myself are going to dinner".  It's hard to explain without getting all grammatical, but "myself" is only to be used when you are BOTH the object and the subject of the sentence.  "I gave MYSELF a hickey."   "Mary" did not and cannot give "myself a hickey." 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4156 on: September 18, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »

How about when people refer to "everything" or "everyone" when they really mean only an incredibly small fraction of everything or everyone?  Or when folks generalize about a massively diverse nationality (one that can't even agree how to refer to carbonated, non-alcoholic beverages)?

And I have quite literally never heard anyone refer to him/herself or another as having been "adopted out."

"Plead the fifth" (it's technically "take the fifth"). 

Ummm...if you want to be hyper-technical, it's "invoke the Fifth" (capital "F"), and I'm not sure "take" is any better of a substitute for "invoke" than "plead."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4157 on: September 18, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »

Never.  I relish every chance to make fun of sports fans.  :lol Also wtf, that graph is about music, not sports  :lol

But it's not really my graph.  I can't claim to be part of it like saying I'm part of a sports team.  LOLOL

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4158 on: September 18, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
But seriously, do NOT get me started on American idioms.   I physically cringe when people add "super" to things.  I'm SUPER excited for that concert.  I was SUPER surprised over the baby reveal.   I was SUPER angry that my pizza was cold.   I think the idea is to express energy and enthusiasm, but to me it just expresses "douche".
This one has been a growing pet peeve of mine for a couple of years now, it's pretty much impossible to go more than five minutes on the internet without running into this word multiple times. Some are so enthusiastic to use it they even go so far as to force the word into grammatically dubious contexts; the other day I saw a post on Reddit where someone expressing their opinion said that they "super thought" something, and only a few days before that someone was "super on the fence" regarding an issue. What? :mehlin

I'm not sure it's an exclusively American thing though, if that makes you feel any better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4159 on: September 18, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »
  "For all intensive purposes".   

I thought it was "intents and purposes".

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4160 on: September 19, 2020, 12:36:00 AM »
It is.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4161 on: September 19, 2020, 04:46:38 AM »

That's a mute point.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4162 on: September 19, 2020, 04:47:47 AM »

That's a mute point.

I could care less.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4163 on: September 19, 2020, 05:04:31 AM »
I should of known you'd say that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #4164 on: September 19, 2020, 07:18:15 AM »
C’mon guys, don’t loose focus on the discussion at hand. Ur driving me super crazy here.