Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309650 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4095 on: September 06, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »
Dudebros at work who think everyone is super mega impressed with their stories of how "wasted" they were at the weekend.

Or Dudebros who - any story they are telling ends with how wasted they were.

That or Dudebros telling everyone at work who they "nailed" at the weekend etc etc.

Why The Ever Loving Fuck Do I Give A Shit ?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4096 on: September 06, 2020, 03:19:23 PM »
Dudebros at work who think everyone is super mega impressed with their stories of how "wasted" they were at the weekend.

Or Dudebros who - any story they are telling ends with how wasted they were.

That or Dudebros telling everyone at work who they "nailed" at the weekend etc etc.

Why The Ever Loving Fuck Do I Give A Shit ?

You're not a Dudebro thats why.  But yea, no one cares how drunk you got, those stories got old before the end of high school.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4097 on: September 07, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
When my wife drives us someplace, and I am expected to be co-pilot. When she looks before changing lanes, I get an indignant "Are you going to help me or what?" You got 2 eyes, a neck, a rearview mirror, a side mirror, and a side mirror camera. How do you change lanes when you are driving by yourself?

I had a double-dose of co-piloting failure today.

She was driving and we came to a fork in the road with a HUGE SIGN clearly illustrating where each path will lead. She panicked when she saw it, called out "WHICH WAY DO I GO?!" and when I told her the right one, I mentioned that I thought she would have saw the HUGE SIGN. She said she was focusing on the road and the other cars, and that I would have seen it sooner than her anyway.

Later, when she came to a turn she missed because neither of us saw it soon enough (we were taking a route we have never taken before - because she missed the off-ramp, one that also had a HUGE SIGN), I got chastised for not letting her about the turn know sooner. "You used to live around here," she declares. So now I am also expected to know every single street, turn, stoplight, yield sign, and every other road feature in any town I have ever lived in.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4098 on: September 08, 2020, 07:36:56 AM »
It's always your fault, Chris.  I thought you were married long enough to have had that sink in by now?  :) :) :)

Okay, mine for the day:  the local school system.   I'm a pragmatist; the hybrid system is what it is, and it's not going to be perfect, we know that.  BUT... I've been a project manager enough in my career to know that something WILL go wrong, but you CAN plan and account for those things you DO control.    If weather comes, or the internet is out, so be it; can't plan for that.  But it's inexcusable to not have the right tools on the job or the right personnel.  So... they give us a school-issued iPad for use.  They give it on FRIDAY before the holiday weekend, with school starting Tuesday.   That leaves all of about three hours (during normal business hours) for tech help, out of the roughly 84 hours we have to get this going.   To her credit, my wife spent time on Saturday getting it set up (you had to register the iPad, sign in to the school, Apple AND Microsoft, then get the apps and programs downloaded).  She's not an Apple girl, and I was off getting so fucking wasted and banging waitresses this Saturday (Kotowboy, that's for you!) so it didn't happen until Monday that I could do it.  I reset that friggin' iPad three times, and actually gave up on the fourth, until I had a bright idea while in the shower (some of the apps required the iPad to be plugged in to download and install!).   

The documentation from the school was average at best.  There was one video that walked through the process, but both the text and the video had material differences in the loadout (perhaps differences between schools?) that I'm lucky I had some intuitive idea on or I'd be sunk.  I'm sensitive to fam and all that, but you think for the two days of the weekend they could have had a professional on-call to help?  Give them a week off in exchange (it's not like this was a standard Labor Day to begin with).  My kid is on the spectrum, so it's the little things; Second Period Science didn't load onto the schedule and he was freaking out ("They're going to mark me as absent!").  I don't know; I don't demand perfection on any level, but I don't think it's unreasonable to anticipate that at least SOME of the 5500 projected students would have some trouble getting connected and feeling a part of the group this first day of school.

(And not for nothing, if you go on the E------ Public School website, this is the opening header:  "Enfield Public Schools is dedicated to our students. We are heartbroken over the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and the countless other Black lives unjustifiably lost. We understand that many of our students, especially our Black students, are justifiably hurt, confused, scared, and angered about these deaths and the subsequent protests that continue throughout the country. While we cannot meet in school right now, we emphasize that Enfield Public Schools stands with all our students, and we will provide you with opportunities for discussion and counseling."     

And almost halfway down the page:   "We are aware of the login issues with many of our new users and are working feverishly to resolve. Please be patient and try to enjoy your last weekend of the summer. You may want to attempt logins late Saturday or Sunday. We will resume responding to emails on Tuesday.  In the meantime you can go to office.com and login with your student's credentials and download all of the Office products free of charge to install on your home computer.")   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4099 on: September 08, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »
^^ You edited out the school name the first time but not the second :)

That sounds nightmarish, Stads. What a clusterf@&$.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4100 on: September 08, 2020, 07:48:52 AM »
HAHA.  So much for discretion!    :)

I went up about half an hour ago, and my kid is beside himself with anxiety.  He's tough anyway when there's not order or predictability, but it's bad today.  My wife and I are going to trade shifts sitting with him through the day. 

I get it's hard for everyone, but it shouldn't be like THIS.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4101 on: September 08, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
I've been saying too. How can the schools not have trained the teachers either. My nieces Teachers, have told my mom that it may take a while because they're figuring out stuff too.

It's like, Why would you just throw this onto everyone expecting them to know everything about using Live Video, especially the older teachers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4102 on: September 11, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »
Dating. Ugh... Just the thought of it makes me exhausted. Gonna try to summarize as part of the venting process and not to get too wordy but it'll probably be long anyway. Feel free to not pay attention to this.

Rural town of 13k people, nothing really going on here, the kind of place where people get married and have kids right after high school (or during...). College... some people go to the nearby university, some go to community college (like me), some people just don't go at all and most of them live just fine. It's a whole other world from city life or even suburbs. But I spent my 20s single, right after my 21st birthday. Had some flings, occasionally attracted to people, but nothing that ever hit me like my last serious relationship. Feels like "been there, done that" as far as loving someone, so on one hand I'd love to share time and experiences and personal thoughts/discussions with someone... on the other, I feel like what's the point. I'll be 30 in January. Around here, that's like signing off on your 'forever alone' card.

So I had some conversations with some of my best female friends and we came to the conclusion that I should try online dating just to see who's out there. But there's a whole mess of problems there, one of which is that I need some photos of myself but I just don't think I take good photos. I've had ladies compliment my appearance, my guy friends bust my balls over my beard and hair and general "metalhead look", and my poor self image (super self conscious about every part of my body), it's a disaster right from the start because I can't find or take any photos where I think, damn, I look at least okay. Always finding something about myself to hate. It doesn't help that I feel and look horribly uncomfortable in stuff like dress shirts and button downs and stylish clothing, with my metalhead look (which I LIKE, I LOVE my beard and my hair, and other people seem to, as well).

And on top of all that, my hobbies are all solitary. I grew up learning to entertain myself, spending summer vacations alone, even when my siblings were around 'cause they'd be playing with their friends. So now I'm going to be 30 soon and I just don't know how to interact with women without becoming someone that I'm not. Hell I can't be around my best friends for more than a couple of hours without needing to go home to recharge my batteries, so to speak.

I don't want to be lonely, but I want someone who understands introversion and the strong need - not want - to have a lot of alone time. And I feel like not many of those people are in the dating realm, because they feel just like I do.

Just had to get that off my chest. I don't mind being single forever... I have a piano, I have my means of entertaining myself and staying intellectually stimulated... but it sucks thinking there's something wrong with you while almost literally everybody else you've grown up with has found someone to be with, even in this small town we've never left. I'm not even picky about women... it just feels like I'm an outcast. Sometimes I think, jeeze, why can't I just like cars and football and Bud Light like every other guy around here... why do I have to like prog and power metal, nerdy shit like Lord of the Rings, be a pianist, be a guy who isn't exactly a 'tool guy'... y'know?

Wow if anybody read that I'm sorry but at least it feels better screaming into the void. At least I haven't resorted to doing cocaine with shady women every week like some friends of mine. :lol

BTW if anyone's curious, this is me, second from the left, with the blue shoes. Hanging with the guys from Labyrinth at ProgPower in 2018.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:02:33 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4103 on: September 11, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »
I think the looks are all in your head, if youve got some lady friends, I'd say listen to them about what pictures are good to use.  I don't see anything wrong with that Labrynth pic for example, it's you in your natural habitat of the metal community and you look fine.  If someone isn't into the hair, so be it, they aren't for you then.

I should say there is almost definitely someone out there that meets what you are looking for, but you'll never find that person if you don't try.  And if you are worried about not knowing what you are doing or how to date, that takes practice, something you won't figure out until you start doing it. 

Feels like a lonely hearts post, and I feel I may be contributing to that thread soon enough.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4104 on: September 11, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »
Ah poo I forgot all about that thread. Sorry folks.  :facepalm:

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4105 on: September 11, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »
Walrus - look at the bright side - At least you don't have teeth like that of your Sig Pic. Now THAT would be a real problem.  ;D

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #4106 on: September 11, 2020, 03:40:06 PM »
Hope this helps coming from another dude, but you're a damn good looking dude man. I battled with self image issues most my life too. But objectively here man, you good looking dude. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4107 on: September 11, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
I agree with everything Cram said.  (and the metalhead look, complete with beard, is rad--and more importantly, it's you)  Honestly, while I have always felt that "online dating" is a bit weird, it is probably the perfect way of finding someone that fits your personality.  As you put it, you NEED someone who understands and is respectful of introversion.  And there just aren't as many that do as those that don't, so the tricky thing is how to find them.  From everything I have heard about online dating, that probably gives you your best shot at finding a match in that department.

I will also point out that I have a friend I used to work with (who, coincidentally, looks a lot like you and is a metalhead), who is in a great married relationship, but with the roles reversed.  He is pretty extroverted, and his wife is a complete introvert, to the point where she can handle company or crowds in only limited doses and then HAS TO get away and be alone to recharge.  But he completely gets that and knows what she needs.  And because of that, it works, and seems very fulfilling for the two of them.  From her end, my understanding is that she gets to fulfill her need to be alone, but also her need to not be lonely.  A lot of people don't get that those are BOTH legitimate needs that are not necessarily at odds with one another.

Anyhow, I feel like I'm rambling and not really saying anything, but hopefully that was helpful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4108 on: September 11, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
Walrus - look at the bright side - At least you don't have teeth like that of your Sig Pic. Now THAT would be a real problem.  ;D

:lol !!

Thanks folks... I appreciate the encouragement. At least I'm off work now so I can ruminate on this over the weekend, figure out where to go from here. Hanging out with said girlfriends tomorrow, so, should be fun as long as they don't try to braid my hair again. Bosk, you're absolutely right, it's how to find them that's crazy hard. And especially in the Dark Age of COVID, I guess online dating is the best.

I guess there's a site called Bumble where the women have to make the first move. Man, that is perfect. Might try that.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4109 on: September 11, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »
Walrus...I feel where you're coming from.  I always hated dating.  Or, I should say that I hated that initial approach.  I had a near-paralyzing fear of rejection, so I almost never made the first move.  I remember once making eyes at a girl in a club, and she was reciprocating in a way that would have said to anyone, "come talk to me; I'm interested."  It took a huge amount of persuading by my friend to get me to go talk to her, and she later mentioned she thought it was weird that it took me so long.

Anyway...27 years ago, I met my now wife online.  At one point, we were separated and I met two other semi-serious girlfriends online.  If I had to do it over again, I would probably never do it any other way.  Hope that helps some.

P.S.  Your picture reminds me of James Lomenzo, formerly of White Lion and Megadeth (whom I only know because he was on season 21 of The Amazing Race).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #4110 on: September 11, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
27 years ago there were dating sites online? In 1993?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4111 on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
He didn’t say “dating sites”. Online was certainly a thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4112 on: September 11, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
Not sure if it's irritating, but I'm going to put it here...

I just saw a commercial for the Avengers movie, Age Of Ultron. I'm not against superhero movies. It doesn't necessarily interest me, but I certainly don't have an issue with them. Except for this...

The special effects in this ad were so cringeworthingly bad. I mean, I'm sure who ever is responsible is very talented, and I'm sure it's expensive. But if it looks fake as hell, what's the use? It's like they don't even try and hide how fake it looks. I'm sorry, but I just can't attach myself to a story with that type of imagery,

Last year, I sat diagonally behind some guy on a plane that was watching one of these types of movies. It had a large purple guy. The scenes were so bad.  I think I've ranted about this before but give me this anyday...These guys knew special effects..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4113 on: September 11, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
Tim, your eyes are broken. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4114 on: September 12, 2020, 05:22:31 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4115 on: September 12, 2020, 06:45:38 AM »
When people tell me to try going on a date...  :lol

1. Have you seen my painfully average face ? Have you heard my unbelievably dull voice ?

2. I'm 42 soon and I promise you - nobody has ever shown any interest in me. I promise. That scene in films where your eyes meet across a shop and they smile ? Yup. That sh*t has not happened

once in my entire life.

3. I have ZERO self worth - so even if someone did show any interest in me - i'd automatically assume they were joking or doing it as a dare. . .

3a. That, or i'd be like " Really ?! ME?! You do realise that other people exist yeah ? You don't have to settle for THIS...

Plus going out on an actual date would be PAINFULLY embarrassing for me.

So yeah. I've been single for 42 years now. I'm used to it  ;D ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4116 on: September 12, 2020, 08:38:50 AM »
All of that is in your head

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4117 on: September 12, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »

Iisten to this man.

I agree with what Cram said in his post. Especially listening to your lady friends about your pictures. The key to dating sites is to put as much info of yourself in as little as possible, your picture with Labyrinth would be a good one. It shows your interest in live music, shows your Style and amazing hair and smile.

Unlike me, who doesn't like taking pictures all that much.

Thanks folks... I appreciate the encouragement. At least I'm off work now so I can ruminate on this over the weekend, figure out where to go from here. Hanging out with said girlfriends tomorrow, so, should be fun as long as they don't try to braid my hair again. Bosk, you're absolutely right, it's how to find them that's crazy hard. And especially in the Dark Age of COVID, I guess online dating is the best.

I guess there's a site called Bumble where the women have to make the first move. Man, that is perfect. Might try that.  :lol

Dude, that's why women love men with long hair. It's actually quite a turn on for some.

And finding them is the hard part. But it's funny in a way, because you're basically selling yourself. Just be like a bird and fluff those feathers and show off that pretty hair as if you are in an Herbal Essence commercial. Women would love that for sure... :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4118 on: September 12, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »

Fo real true story - My best friend growing up in high school was quite the ladies man. Good looking, smart and adventurous but he never really chased women as he had his preferences when dating. Now his brother? He was NOT a looker. He was tall, lanky and cross-eyed but he got the hottest women! No joke. We asked him what his secret was and he just said he played the odds and that most men didn't ask hot women out because they were afraid to. He even married a socialite in Dallas, my third cousin.
If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to tell a girl what I really feel. I mean, I wouldn't be creepy like "grab'em by the pussy like donald trump creepy" but I think in this day and age women would appreciate the honesty. They're looking for the same thing that we are.....

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #4119 on: September 12, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »
He didn’t say “dating sites”. Online was certainly a thing.

Damn, we didn't have internet until another couple years

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4120 on: September 12, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »

It's not. People don't like me.

And nobody would miss me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4121 on: September 12, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »

It's not. People don't like me.

And nobody would miss me.

This is a dangerous mindset. It's probably also completely unnecessary.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4122 on: September 12, 2020, 04:23:42 PM »
*shrug*

I guarantee if I jumped in front of a train tomorrow - more people would be relieved than sad.

:dunno:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: September 12, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »
This is a dangerous mindset. It's probably also completely unnecessary.

yup, and completely wrong. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4124 on: September 13, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »
I'll tell you what's  irritating.....We bought a 65 inch Samsung flat screen about 5 years ago. This year, it started getting white circles on the screen and another one showed up this week making 4 in total and it's only gonna get worse. In researching the problem, there is no real fix and it costs between 300.00 and 600.00 to fix but there's no guarantee it's going to stay working. For that kind of money I can buy a brand new 65 inch and just consider it disposable after 5 years. I paid 1400.00 for this piece of crap but I expected to get more than 5 years of life out of it.  >:(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4125 on: September 13, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »
BTW if anyone's curious, this is me, second from the left, with the blue shoes. Hanging with the guys from Labyrinth at ProgPower in 2018.

:heart

Your look reminds me so much of my youngest son! He's not in as good of physical condition as you, though. I'm probably a bit biased, but you are a handsome devil and should strut with pride.

There is definitely someone out there for you (see also Bosk's post). I know from our personal communications that you have a lot to offer a relationship. You're an awesome personality! Maybe steer clear of discussions and photos of RDR2, though
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4126 on: September 13, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
I'll tell you what's  irritating.....We bought a 65 inch Samsung flat screen about 5 years ago. This year, it started getting white circles on the screen and another one showed up this week making 4 in total and it's only gonna get worse. In researching the problem, there is no real fix and it costs between 300.00 and 600.00 to fix but there's no guarantee it's going to stay working. For that kind of money I can buy a brand new 65 inch and just consider it disposable after 5 years. I paid 1400.00 for this piece of crap but I expected to get more than 5 years of life out of it.  >:(

That's technology these days.  Any major purchase... doesn't last like they used to, and it's more cost effective to buy new than it is to fix.

Planned obsolescence is definitely a thing in manufacturing and design

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4127 on: September 13, 2020, 10:36:38 AM »
Planned obsolescence is definitely part of it, but I think the bigger thing is that they're paying someone $2 an hour in China to assemble it and you pay someone $100 to walk in your door and $75 an hour plus marked up parts to fix it in America. The repair people just can't compete with buying a new one.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4128 on: September 13, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
Went out on the lake today with a buddy of mine and I got sunburnt, not terrible but having spent almost 30 years in Florida you think I would've known better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4129 on: September 14, 2020, 02:27:27 AM »
I don't believe the iPhone planned obsolescence thing.

I had the same iPhone 5S for like 4 years. Then I sold it to a friend who had it for a further 2 years.

It didn't magically stop working or slow down ridiculous amounts etc.