Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309590 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4025 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25:52 AM »
Maybe if you're handwriting a 10-page letter, you might save a minute or two with cursive versus non-cursive, but who does that anymore?

Uh... Here are (admittedly, in cyrillic cursive) my D&D notes. :lol

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4026 on: September 02, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
Back to the actual thread purpose: got a cappuchino in a small coffee shop I frequent. Apparently they had a sweet milk instead of the usual one or perhaps the new barista just added sugar without asking me. I didn't really mind it at first but it was sweet as hell, and at the same time it was so not what I was expecting I ended up being more and more irritated as I drank it.

It's probably on me as well as on her, gotta specify I don't want any sugar next time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4027 on: September 02, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
The milk could have been going rancid. I've had that happen a number of times when making it at home.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4028 on: September 02, 2020, 11:44:37 AM »
The milk could have been going rancid. I've had that happen a number of times when making it at home.

Oh. Will I get the shits tomorrow if that was the case? :lol Because it totally sounds like I will.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4029 on: September 02, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
Maybe if you're handwriting a 10-page letter, you might save a minute or two with cursive versus non-cursive, but who does that anymore?

Uh... Here are (admittedly, in cyrillic cursive) my D&D notes. :lol

Dude, I love your writing.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #4030 on: September 02, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
Back to the cursive thing for a minute; I never use it. I write in print with all caps. If a word needs to be capitalized (proper noun, etc.) I just make the first capital letter taller.

I never had neat handwriting as a kid, my cursive looked sloppy, shaky, and crooked, I never had good grades in penmanship (do they even grade for penmanship anymore?). Even now, my signature looks more like an EKG printout than actual letters.

From the bottom-left example below, that is almost exactly how I sign my first name, with the first vertical being the "R", the second is the "b", and the third the "t" in Robert, with some unrecognizable scribble in between.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4031 on: September 02, 2020, 01:02:01 PM »
Back to the cursive thing for a minute; I never use it. I write in print with all caps. If a word needs to be capitalized (proper noun, etc.) I just make the first capital letter taller.

I never had neat handwriting as a kid, my cursive looked sloppy, shaky, and crooked, I never had good grades in penmanship (do they even grade for penmanship anymore?). Even now, my signature looks more like an EKG printout than actual letters.

From the bottom-left example below, that is almost exactly how I sign my first name, with the first vertical being the "R", the second is the "b", and the third the "t" in Robert, with some unrecognizable scribble in between.

It's funny, because the bottom left could actually be "New World Man".  :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4032 on: September 02, 2020, 01:07:14 PM »
There's a whole lot of assuming going on there. But, cursive is literally faster than print via rhythmic motion and fluid connectivity.

I'm not saying one way is objectively better but I find it confusing that this is up for debate. If you aren't good at cursive then yes it's probably cumbersome but unless you're really ornate or bad at cursive I don't get how print is faster.

You keep saying this like it's an established, objective fact, but it simply isn't (WildRanger?).  And yeah, after 30+ years of not using it, I'd probably be really bad and ultra-slow if I tried using cursive.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4033 on: September 02, 2020, 01:30:09 PM »
There's a whole lot of assuming going on there. But, cursive is literally faster than print via rhythmic motion and fluid connectivity.

I'm not saying one way is objectively better but I find it confusing that this is up for debate. If you aren't good at cursive then yes it's probably cumbersome but unless you're really ornate or bad at cursive I don't get how print is faster.

You keep saying this like it's an established, objective fact, but it simply isn't (WildRanger?).  And yeah, after 30+ years of not using it, I'd probably be really bad and ultra-slow if I tried using cursive.

:lol I mean, the difference is almost inconsequential. But I just sat here for five minutes writing random words in cursive and in print and the fluidity with which I can write in cursive proves (from my experience throughout life) that joining the letters in (mostly) one fluid motion is, surprisingly, faster than lifting the utensil for each motion.

It's really not a big deal but I do firmly believe cursive is faster so nana nana boo boo  :loser: :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4034 on: September 02, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
Some have seen my cursive writing here and they've tried to stab their eyes with a fork.  My penmanship is that bad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4035 on: September 02, 2020, 01:34:15 PM »
When you are looking for a street sign, and end up passing it because it was obscured by trees/branches. I know it would take the city paying 16 union landscapers a full 8 hour day to come out and trim a branch, but damn, those signs are only valuable if they are visible.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4036 on: September 02, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
When you are looking for a street sign, and end up passing it because it was obscured by trees/branches. I know it would take the city paying 16 union landscapers a full 8 hour day to come out and trim a branch, but damn, those signs are only valuable if they are visible.

I can't stand that.  The residential streets where I live and nearby often have the sign on only one of the four corners, and it always seems to be the last one you check AND obscured by some sort of foliage or shrubbery.

:lol I mean, the difference is almost inconsequential. But I just sat here for five minutes writing random words in cursive and in print and the fluidity with which I can write in cursive proves (from my experience throughout life) that joining the letters in (mostly) one fluid motion is, surprisingly, faster than lifting the utensil for each motion.

It's really not a big deal but I do firmly believe cursive is faster so nana nana boo boo  :loser: :lol

I don't doubt that your cursive is faster than your non-cursive, but I can assure you it's the other way around for me.  If I ever have the pleasure to meet you, come with a page of printed text, and we'll match your cursive against my non-cursive for a beverage of the winner's choosing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4037 on: September 02, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »

I don't doubt that your cursive is faster than your non-cursive, but I can assure you it's the other way around for me.  If I ever have the pleasure to meet you, come with a page of printed text, and we'll match your cursive against my non-cursive for a beverage of the winner's choosing.

WE GOT OURSELVES A DTF WRITE OFF!!  :lol :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4038 on: September 02, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »

Now that sounds like fun. Game on. Fountain pens at dawn, mofo!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4039 on: September 02, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
As they say, the penis mightier.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4040 on: September 02, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »

In Houston they say that?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #4041 on: September 02, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »

In Houston they say that?

I believe Gandolf said it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4042 on: September 02, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »
Who's Gandolph?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #4043 on: September 02, 2020, 04:42:34 PM »
Gandalf*

Nerd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4044 on: September 02, 2020, 04:44:35 PM »
Gandalph is a nerd?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4045 on: September 02, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »
Willie Randolph played second base for the Yankees.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4046 on: September 02, 2020, 05:09:04 PM »
Rudolph led Santa's sleigh.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4047 on: September 02, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »
I hear TAC's posts as an old man in a weary voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4048 on: September 02, 2020, 05:58:38 PM »
I read the last several posts like Statler and Waldorf but Stadler's post is like Will Ferrell's Harry Caray.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4049 on: September 02, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »

I'm busted.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4050 on: September 03, 2020, 07:35:38 AM »
I read the last several posts like Statler and Waldorf but Stadler's post is like Will Ferrell's Harry Caray.

That's actually where my screen name came from; I spelled it wrong and picked the tall thin one (as opposed to the shorter, more robust one that more resembles me) but that's it in a nutshell. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4051 on: September 03, 2020, 07:39:01 AM »

That's actually where my screen name came from; I spelled it wrong and picked the tall thin one (as opposed to the shorter, more robust one that more resembles me) but that's it in a nutshell.

But Stadler is spelled nothing like Harry Caray.

(I'm kidding, I'm picking up what you're laying down. :) )

Offline Adami

« Reply #4052 on: September 03, 2020, 07:40:55 AM »

That explains so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4053 on: September 03, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »
Will Ferrell's Harry Caray is my all time favorite bit.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4054 on: September 03, 2020, 08:25:02 AM »

Now, that's all I'm gonna imagine when I see your posts in the  political thread.  :lol

Peacock feathered Pens for the Write Off?...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4055 on: September 03, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »

Can we agree that duels are dumb and immature?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:49:31 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4056 on: September 03, 2020, 10:04:27 AM »
Willie Randolph played second base for the Yankees.

".........Rosebud!........"

Willie Randolph Hearst

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4057 on: September 03, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »

Oh. Will I get the shits tomorrow if that was the case? :lol Because it totally sounds like I will.

She could’ve wrote the instructions down in cursive.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4058 on: September 03, 2020, 10:36:36 AM »

I was just making fun...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4059 on: September 03, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »

I was just making fun...

So was I.  :biggrin:  It's a song lyric:

BURR:

HAMILTON:
Sure
But your man has to answer for his words, Burr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf_26odWbVE
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."