Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309535 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3990 on: September 01, 2020, 01:51:06 AM »
I own a cleaning business and make good money at it, so I can’t put this in the “pissed off” thread. But owning a cleaning business definitely reveals that the average person is an unmitigated asshole. Don’t wipe their feet, don’t have bathroom skills mastered, leave coffee stains on carpets everywhere. I mean these asswipes haven’t mastered DRINKING FROM A CUP, something 2-yr-olds can do.

People are c---ts. When I go into the toilets at work - which is a family holiday park and see rubbish all over the floor - RIGHT NEXT TO A BIN - you know they're just pricks who are doing it

on purpose. Probably thinking 'well they're paid to clean so why TF should I do their job for them?'

Same people who you hear do a #2 - then leave without washing their hands. Disgraceful anyway - But even more so in this current climate.

----------

Crabby neighbours are awful.  We actually had mean vindictive ones about 20 years ago.

I have one who bitches at me if my motorbike isn't parked outside my own house at a perfect right angle to the pavement. He's all  :angry: how can I park when you're parked like that ?!

..Even though he was PARKED at the TIME. I just walked off and ignored him.

i park elsewhere now because I know how to be the bigger man.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3991 on: September 01, 2020, 05:38:45 AM »
I own a cleaning business and make good money at it, so I can’t put this in the “pissed off” thread. But owning a cleaning business definitely reveals that the average person is an unmitigated asshole. Don’t wipe their feet, don’t have bathroom skills mastered, leave coffee stains on carpets everywhere. I mean these asswipes haven’t mastered DRINKING FROM A CUP, something 2-yr-olds can do.

I mean shit happens, dude. That's why you have a cleaning business. Sometimes I spill shit. My carpet has gotten dirty in the 4 years I've been living here. My bathroom becomes a mess til I clean it...

This is like me calling everybody who brings their car in to our body shop an asshole because they damaged it even though that's what our business is for. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3992 on: September 01, 2020, 07:12:51 AM »
And that's how your business thrives. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3993 on: September 01, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »

I go both ways on this.   I'm a cluttered, but neat person.  Meaning, there's shit everywhere, but it's my shit, not dirt, grime or dust.   So I clean; but we have a fairly active house, with four kids in various stages of "in and out" (one, my step son, still lives here full time).  My step son is on the spectrum, so there are moments where he just doesn't have the patience or attention span for the task at hand, and we've limited eating outside of the kitchen for the most part, but that's not to say that things don't happen.   Even with the older kids, I can't tell you how many times the girls have come in with shopping bags and that Fribble from Friendly's doesn't get the attention it deserves.   Me, I tend to work outside a fair amount - cars, yard - and so there are times when I come in and it's only after a few steps that realize that maybe I didn't wipe my feet as capably as I could have. 

And don't get me started on coffee; I work out of my basement - have since 2015 - and I get my coffee from the kitchen and the chances of me getting out of the kitchen, down the hallway, down the stairs, into my office and to my desk with not a drop of coffee being shed is akin to Kevin Moore playing keyboards on the next Dream Theater album.   

BUT... having said all that, when those things happen, we try to take care of them promptly, not leave them for the cleaning service.  (By the way, do you come to Connecticut?)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3994 on: September 01, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »

BUT... having said all that, when those things happen, we try to take care of them promptly, not leave them for the cleaning service.

Then why have a cleaning service?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3995 on: September 01, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »

BUT... having said all that, when those things happen, we try to take care of them promptly, not leave them for the cleaning service.

Maintenance; dusting, vacuuming, etc.   I don't expect the cleaning person to clean my piss when I'm laughing while peeing and it happens to get on the seat.  Plus, I'm not going to leave it there for the week until the cleaners come (and risk my wife or two daughters sitting in it while they pee). 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3996 on: September 01, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »

Maintenance; dusting, vacuuming, etc.   I don't expect the cleaning person to clean my piss when I'm laughing while peeing and it happens to get on the seat.  Plus, I'm not going to leave it there for the week until the cleaners come (and risk my wife or two daughters sitting in it while they pee).

Lies!

You don’t laugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3997 on: September 01, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »
Cashiers that give you the ‘Deer in the headlight look’ when you give 1.01 for a .56 purchase.  Sad they cannot figure the math. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3998 on: September 01, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »

I don't expect the cleaning person to clean my piss when I'm laughing while peeing and it happens to get on the seat.  Plus, I'm not going to leave it there for the week until the cleaners come (and risk my wife or two daughters sitting in it while they pee).

#oddlyspecific  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3999 on: September 01, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »

Just busting your balls a bit. I always chuckle when I see families spend a lot of time preparing for the cleaners when they could just be spending that time cleaning themselves.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4000 on: September 01, 2020, 12:51:26 PM »
Cashiers that give you the ‘Deer in the headlight look’ when you give 1.01 for a .56 purchase.  Sad they cannot figure the math.

When I was on the cashier side of things, I used to ask if someone had, e.g., a dime and two pennies because what they had bought was $X.62, and the dime and two pennies would allow me to give them two quarters in change instead of a quarter, a dime and three pennies.  Some folks would look at me like I was trying to swindle them.

On another note, I'm a "member" of a "remember the good old days" group on Facebook, and folks are constantly posting stuff along the lines of the following:  "let's confuse the crap out of the kids by writing only in cursive."  Inevitably, that generates comments about analog clocks and cassette tapes, etc.  "Ask a kid to make change" also inevitably comes up.  What I find annoying is that some folks can't seem to feel nostalgic about the past without concurrently denigrating the youth of today.

Also, folks who think cursive should still be a regular subject in school are mildly irritating.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4001 on: September 01, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
Also, folks who think cursive should still be a regular subject in school are mildly irritating.

How else are you going to learn how to sign your name...? Yeah you can 'sign' something by just making a scribble like you're doing it for UPS, but ... am I missing something? ??? LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4002 on: September 01, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »

How else are you going to learn how to sign your name...? Yeah you can 'sign' something by just making a scribble like you're doing it for UPS, but ... am I missing something? ??? LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

I haven't used cursive to sign my name in probably 30-plus years.  For a while, my school teachers required that use cursive to take notes and turn things in.  As soon as that requirement was lifted, I stopped using cursive.  That said, my kids (18 and 16) learned cursive.  I haven't paid much attention to their signatures (even though I literally saw my daughter's signature on something last night), but I don't think either one of them has a strict cursive signature.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4003 on: September 01, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »

I think cursive is a huge waste of time to learn, I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset if people just wrote their names in "not cursive" (what is that type of font called?  :lol)  Other than signing my name, I can't think of anytime I've used cursive and actually would totally struggle writing out Rizzuto in cursive since I totally forget many of the not often used letters.  Now a days there's a lot of digital signing so it's not as common as it used to be to even hand sign something, although it is definitely still common enough that it's not like its disappearing anytime soon.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4004 on: September 01, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
I use cursive every opportunity I get. No lie.

I like to live dangerously.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4005 on: September 01, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »
Well, what gets me is that cursive is better than print in every way except legibility if you're a sloppy writer. But it's faster, more efficient, and unlike printing, gives you a unique, distinctly 'you' form of identification. I can't imagine not being able to sign my own name in cursive. I know we use cards these days and lots of digital signing but it just seems like a fundamental thing we take for granted to the point of not even teaching it to our kids anymore. How many generations of humans grew up unable to read or write, and how many people fought for the right to learn how to do those things... and now we view it as a needless and pointless thing. I find that fascinating. Not judging at all, just honestly fascinated by it.

This post brought to you by The Spirit of Stadler, apparently.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4006 on: September 01, 2020, 02:09:44 PM »
I use cursive both in Russian and English. Non-cursive English writing looks like something you would learn in the 3rd grade and then never move on from that. It's just so simplistic I guess. I probably say this because we learned standard print writing exactly in the 3rd grade though. :lol

Cursive is, in my opinion, as a non-native person to English language, is much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye unless whoever's using it seriously sucks at it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4007 on: September 01, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
Cursive is faster than printing, sure, but typing is faster than either. I don't think there's a need to write quickly by hand anymore.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4008 on: September 01, 2020, 02:14:00 PM »
I think some of my opinion stems from absolutely hating handwriting anything  :lol my handwriting is so poor and I became such a fan of taking notes on a laptop when that became a thing when I was in college.  Never looking back to physical notepads and hand writing everything.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4009 on: September 01, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »
Cursive is faster than printing, sure, but typing is faster than either. I don't think there's a need to write quickly by hand anymore.

I wish I lived long enough to have this framed in my house for when our planet is struck by a gamma ray burst and nobody's printers operate and we can't even write our names anymore.

This is actually a great idea for a milquetoast dystopian novel. Thanks Shadow!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4010 on: September 01, 2020, 02:17:07 PM »
We nearly got hit with a coronal mass ejection in 2012 I think. Astronomers monitor that though, I assume we'd just power everything down once we saw it coming.

I only took handwritten notes in my math oriented classes, but you can't write mathematical stuff in cursive anyway. I don't think, at least.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4011 on: September 01, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
For me, printing is actually a chore. I went to a catholic school growing up, and we learned cursive in second grade. It was required that we write in it through 8th grade, and not doing so would be an immediate failure on whatever the assignment was. Cursive is what my brain knows best.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4012 on: September 01, 2020, 02:26:31 PM »
I don't recall being forced to write cursive other than the year we had to learn it (3rd grade maybe?) and for specific English class papers afterwards.  I think if maybe I were forced to do it more, I'd be more used to it and enjoy it more.  My handwriting was better with cursive due to the quick and swifter hand movements but I still hated it just as I hate all hand writing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4013 on: September 01, 2020, 02:41:25 PM »
Facebook has become a microcosm of America. Two tribes spewing talking points...their versions of reality. It used to be a decent tool to keep in touch with distant family and friends. I'm going to hang on a little longer because I still get some occasional joy when I see a picture from an old friend, or hear of someone passing. Not sure how long though. The constant political posts are driving me slowly away.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4014 on: September 01, 2020, 02:53:12 PM »

BUT... having said all that, when those things happen, we try to take care of them promptly, not leave them for the cleaning service.  (By the way, do you come to Connecticut?)

Sorry, no. And we only do commercial, not residential. But the rest of your response is probably typical of most houses, I was referring to offices and their customers.  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4015 on: September 01, 2020, 03:50:52 PM »
Facebook

It's been nearly 10 years since I deleted my account and I think so little about it I forget it exists  :P

Then one of the 20 somethings at work will mention it and i'm like Oh Yeah facebook ... Wow people still use that ?

It's gonna go the way of MySpace i think. Something else will come along.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4016 on: September 01, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Well, what gets me is that cursive is better than print in every way except legibility if you're a sloppy writer. But it's faster, more efficient, and unlike printing, gives you a unique, distinctly 'you' form of identification. I can't imagine not being able to sign my own name in cursive. I know we use cards these days and lots of digital signing but it just seems like a fundamental thing we take for granted to the point of not even teaching it to our kids anymore. How many generations of humans grew up unable to read or write, and how many people fought for the right to learn how to do those things... and now we view it as a needless and pointless thing. I find that fascinating. Not judging at all, just honestly fascinated by it.

:tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4017 on: September 01, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »
Facebook has become a microcosm of America. Two tribes spewing talking points...their versions of reality. It used to be a decent tool to keep in touch with distant family and friends. I'm going to hang on a little longer because I still get some occasional joy when I see a picture from an old friend, or hear of someone passing. Not sure how long though. The constant political posts are driving me slowly away.

It's all social media,  just not one.

Here's the thing.  Why can't people scroll on by? It's one owns fault getting sucked in. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline emtee

« Reply #4018 on: September 01, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
It's just that I read posts from friends and family that make me cringe. I do scroll by and never comment, but I think to myself..."I guess I didn't know this person as well as I thought."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4019 on: September 01, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »

:tup

:lol

I don't know. I don't see any parenthesis in that post. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4020 on: September 01, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »
I use cursive every opportunity I get. No lie.

I like to live dangerously.

Nothing wrong with that.  Usually, when folks go wiggins on the demise of cursive, I ask if kids also ought to be taught calligraphy and hieroglyphics.

Hold on there.  Thinking cursive -- one of many FORMS of writing -- is pointless as a school subject is a far cry from "view[ing] [writing] as a needless and pointless thing."  I write things almost every day, and I can assure you that my manner of writing is far faster and more efficient than if I tried using cursive (although I'm sure that, if I had continued using cursive for the past 30 years, I'd be faster at it).  Cursive is only "faster [and] more efficient" if you practice it regularly, and the manner of writing that others use can be equally as fast/efficient, so I don't get that statement at all.  Other than speed, what is the objective standard by which cursive is "better than print in every way"?

Now THAT is a Stadleresque question!

This absolutism is no more valid than what Walrus wrote.  I'm sure there are some people for whom typing > cursive > non-cursive writing, but for others (like me), it's non-cursive writing > typing > cursive.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4021 on: September 01, 2020, 05:51:31 PM »
Cursive is inherently faster because you hardly lift the pen from the page relative to print. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4022 on: September 02, 2020, 06:59:51 AM »
I was thinking about this in the shower, and there is ONE advantage to writing as opposed to typing:  not everything need be the fastest possible.   If you're like me - that believes we've evolved technologically faster than all components of our brain can keep up - I think there's some inherent benefit to slowing things down.   There's also the fluidity of being able to "improvise"; I got my MBA about the time that laptops became prevalent at work, so most of my notes were on a screen; I look back at them now and they are woeful when compared to my law school or college notes, simply because it was a hassle to 'format' equations and non sequitors.   

My kids are a great contrast here:  my daughter - in college - opted for the iPad with the pen function, for that very reason.  She can write in her math equations and formulae and whatnot and not have to worry about "symbol this" and "wingding that".   My stepson - admittedly on the spectrum - is on a screen all the time.  He can't type in the traditional sense, but he's evolved a way to get into the computer what he needs.  But he's 12 now and his writing - cursive and non-cursive - is almost illegible.  It DOES hurt him.  He can't fill out forms.   He can't jot notes.   He can't fill out bank slips.   We're working on it, but it's one of a mountain of things we have to accomplish with him and it's... well, we're running out of time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4023 on: September 02, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
Cursive is inherently faster because you hardly lift the pen from the page relative to print.

Well...I suppose if you're 6 years old and are writing block letters and lift up the pen(cil) after every letter to inspect what you've done, then yes.  But otherwise, no, because (1) most of the lifting of pen(cil) from paper occurs between words, which happens with cursive as well, (2) you seem to be assuming that all non-cursive writing involves not connecting letters, and (3) it's not like I'm lifting the pen(cil) off the page by six inches.  It only comes off the page by a millimeter or two.  Maybe if you're handwriting a 10-page letter, you might save a minute or two with cursive versus non-cursive, but who does that anymore?  Most of my writing consists of notes that I leave for family members or notes that I take at work while I'm on the phone or in a meeting, and the work notes are almost always solely for my benefit (or I type them into electronic files since we're "paperless").

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4024 on: September 02, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
There's a whole lot of assuming going on there. But, cursive is literally faster than print via rhythmic motion and fluid connectivity.

I'm not saying one way is objectively better but I find it confusing that this is up for debate. If you aren't good at cursive then yes it's probably cumbersome but unless you're really ornate or bad at cursive I don't get how print is faster.

FWIW, I use a combination of both print and cursive. I don't think I've ever written a cursive capital Q outside of the classroom in which I learned it.