Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309626 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3955 on: August 24, 2020, 06:21:09 AM »
My power just went out, and it occurred to me that I never got around to buying a flashlight. :d'oh:

I recently stocked up on some cheap basic candles from the last power outage I had a couple weeks ago.  Figured it would be useful to put those around the house for next time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3956 on: August 24, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »
My power just went out, and it occurred to me that I never got around to buying a flashlight. :d'oh:

I recently stocked up on some cheap basic candles from the last power outage I had a couple weeks ago.  Figured it would be useful to put those around the house for next time.

I have literally 1000 tea light candles in my living room set aside just in case the power goes out for an extended period of time. I'm going on 3 years with them, fortunately, but one of these days...!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3957 on: August 24, 2020, 05:18:25 PM »

Don't you have a torch on your iPhone / Android phone ?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3958 on: August 24, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
Candles? What century are you guys in? Or are you working on recreating the video for "Wrapped Around Your Finger"?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3959 on: August 24, 2020, 07:48:27 PM »
Ooh that Stings.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3960 on: August 24, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
Candles? What century are you guys in? Or are you working on recreating the video for "Wrapped Around Your Finger"?

Hot damn are you old.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3961 on: August 24, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3962 on: August 24, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
Your meme answers that question.    :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3963 on: August 25, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »
Girl toddlers who do that high pitched shriek when they don't get their way which sounds *exactly* like someone blowing a whistle right next to your ear drum.

FUCK OFF.

-----

Second - people who chuckle or laugh out loud *literally* every time they speak. Even if they're stating a fact.

For example - I know a guy who does this at my old job - one day in winter he came into work and went

" Man it's cold - I had to put the heating on today  :lol :lol "

And you're like  :angry: WHY IS THAT FUNNY ?

That's not even a joke. That's a statement.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3964 on: August 25, 2020, 08:05:53 AM »

A candle provides light without power.  I'm not sure what is so old school about using one when there is no power?  Of course I have a flash light and a phone that has a flash light, but those will all die if I use them throughout a night without power and I'd like to reserve my phone battery the most, although I could charge that in my car, but still. 

Regardless, I like candles anyway and usually have one lit in my office even with power.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3965 on: August 25, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
I love candles; there's something romantic about them.  I don't mean that in the sex sense, but in the sense of Galileo and Michelangelo and Beethoven... etc. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3966 on: August 25, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
Candles are super easy to make. I usually make a few dozen every fall as I only like to burn them in the winter months.

Something like this is a great place to start. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CR4O3UO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I've made candles out of rendered fat from cooking meat. I know it probably sounds gross, but it burns very cleanly with no smell, and if you add a dash of food coloring, it looks just like a regular wax candle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3967 on: August 25, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »
I really dislike the word "hack" to mean trick. You're not hacking anything  ;D ;D

It's like " OMG SANDWICH HACK ! PUT CHEESE IN WITH THE HAM !! "

Wow you're a real hacker.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3968 on: August 25, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
^^^ I'm with you.  "Life hack!"     Bitch, unless you can get me into the Victoria Secret dressing room unannounced and invisible, this ain't a hack. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3969 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
Yea, that's along the lines of "what happens next will SHOCK YOU!" It's just trying to make it seems more important or interesting than it really is.  I wish George Carlin were still alive to totally rip apart the language we use today.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3970 on: August 25, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »
LIFE HACK ! Wash your clothes the night before work so theyll be as fresh & comfortable as possible !!!

It's not a hack its ADVICE  :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3971 on: August 25, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
Yea, that's along the lines of "what happens next will SHOCK YOU!" It's just trying to make it seems more important or interesting than it really is.  I wish George Carlin were still alive to totally rip apart the language we use today.

I think some of this stuff has been posted once or twice over the course of this thread's existence, but the other one like this that bugs me is, "You must watch this video!  It will change your life!"  That's a guaranteed "skip" and might get you unfriended.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3972 on: August 25, 2020, 04:12:02 PM »

I think some of this stuff has been posted once or twice over the course of this thread's existence, but the other one like this that bugs me is, "You must watch this video!  It will change your life!"  That's a guaranteed "skip" and might get you unfriended.

You won't BELIEVE what this star looks like NOW! (over a picture that is more often than not, Danika McKeller, who looks exactly like she did on Wonder Years except not 12.)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3973 on: August 25, 2020, 05:37:45 PM »
Dunkin's app ordering system / our local Dunkin.

We usually order on occasion, more often during their Happy Hour promos or their "Free donut with a drink / vice versa" things. Then when I have a free drink reward on my account, I get something bigger and fancier than their normal ice lattes  /  ice coffees.

So today while Jenna was out, she said she's going to go by DD since we both have free drink rewards. Sweet. So I put in my fancy ass order. Pumpkin Spice off of their "specialty lattes",  as big as I can get it. With Whipped Cream and their fancy topping shit.

She picks it up.. and no fancy ass whipped cream or anything (which is normal at this location. You almost have to hold a gun to their heads to get whipped cream you ordered), but its also... Decaf?

I looked at my receipt on the app. It says Regular where it would say Decaf if I ordered Decaf). The sticker on the cup says Decaf. What the hell?  The only time you'd ever see me ordering decaf for myself is if it were late in the evening and I had to get up early the next day.

It wouldn't be an issue if this hadn't happened like every other time I order.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3974 on: August 25, 2020, 05:48:34 PM »
Dunkin's app ordering system / our local Dunkin.

I've found app ordering to be very hit or miss.  For some, it's great (and one place in particular seems to hire only people who have a difficult time understanding my very complex taco and burrito orders, so using the app makes things much better).  For other places, you might as well just walk in and say, "give me something completely random and charge me more than it should cost."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3975 on: August 25, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
Also mildly irritating (very mildly):  accidentally clicking in the soccer thread because someone called it the "football" thread.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3976 on: August 26, 2020, 02:30:46 AM »

You won't BELIEVE what this star looks like NOW! (over a picture that is more often than not, Danika McKeller, who looks exactly like she did on Wonder Years except not 12.)

Or " JIM CARREY IS RUINED ON DRUGS !! " and it's a badly photoshopped picture.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3977 on: August 26, 2020, 02:29:54 PM »
Follow-up on the Dunkin thing...

Jenna went by there today and spoke with someone (I would have but I wouldn't have been nice). They replaced the drink (apparently they ran out of whipped cream yesterday? Not a big deal but.. uhh... Tell us when we pick up the order), and she had no explanation on the decaf thing, so she put an extra shot of espresso in the replacement.

Now for today's rant.

We live in a very tiny 400sq ft studio. We had 2 TV's. A 50 inch LG in the "living area", and a cheap little off brand above the foot of our bed for watching TV in bed.  We decided to pick up a second small TV for the living area, so I could play my games while she played hers, or put shows / baseball / news on one while something else on the other.  Right after we ordered it (24" LG smart TV), I won a 500 dollars gift card from a giveaway on Twitter for Amazon. (Ironic). Wound up ordering the tv a second time and returning it in place of the first one to get the refund on her credit card. Anyways... The new TV is great (minus the fact that it's an LG just like our Main tv, and they sit next to each other.... Poor thought on my part. Stupid remotes....), But the audio is horrid. Especially when we have fans / AC running. It just doesn't get very loud. So we decided to order a tiny soundbar to hook up to it to give it some more oomph. My original plan was just plug in one of my little speakers, (which I learned later wouldn't have worked) but she wanted a more permanent solution.  Anyways...she orders a soundbar who's inputs include RCA, Bluetooth, and Optical. The RCA comes with an adapter for 3.5mm out. Doesn't come with an optical cable. I figured... Between all that, it'll be enough, right?

Welp... I came to find out the ONLY audio output is Optical. No 3.5mm. no RCA. No Bluetooth (which I already knew). How does a name brand TV in 2020 not have multiple audio outs?  In my defense, I thought I saw an RCA out when I hooked the TV up initially... But that was an input.

Oof. And of course she's annoyed because she was just at Best Buy picking up the soundbar and we could have ordered an optical cable with it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3978 on: August 26, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
That's crazy, Jay. My LG from 2011 has an optical output and the soundbar I got in 2014 exclusively uses optical so I never had a problem with that. Very strange to have that hassle in 2020.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3979 on: August 26, 2020, 02:52:03 PM »
I think a big part of it, is that it's a lower-end LG. 24-inch, 720P. I figured it would at least have the 3.5 mm Jack on it though.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: August 26, 2020, 02:55:53 PM »
I think a big part of it, is that it's a lower-end LG. 24-inch, 720P. I figured it would at least have the 3.5 mm Jack on it though.

That may be why it doesn't actually.  More interfaces means more money.  They probably just went with what is today's standard, which IMO is actually a good thing for you, although maybe annoying ATM since you can't use it just yet.  You'll get better audio using the optical cable.  Those cables are cheap too. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3981 on: August 26, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
Yeah I noticed you didn't say how much the TV cost, but when you said 24", now I'm looking back thinking... makes sense  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3982 on: August 26, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
$150.

I still think the 3.5mm jack would be the basic output they'd include, not Optical :lol

But I guess if you can't get one on your phone, you shouldn't expect to get one on your TV anymore.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3983 on: August 26, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »

These are killing me! I normally gloss over them but one I have seen a few times lately that sticks in my mind is "This picture of Caitlin Jenner confirms the rumors are TRUE!" and I don't even have the slightest idea what that rumor might be. Outside of these clickbait links, I haven't heard a word about Caitlin Jenner in years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3984 on: August 31, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »
Cranky neighbors

My neighbor to the north has a short backyard that backs up against my side yard.  A few years ago, I was cutting a short section of grass in that side yard (literally 3 passes with the mower that equals less than 30 seconds).  They were out on their deck eating lunch and the 30 year old son marched over and reprimanded me for cutting my own grass during the middle of the day while they were trying to enjoy a family lunch.  It came out of nowhere and I had no response to the kid because I wasn't expecting it all, just saying that I'd be done quickly.  I've never had an experience like that, where a neighbor reprimands me for doing yardwork in my own yard during the middle of the day.

They have a bunch of brush and trees that line the property line, against my side yard/driveway.  They NEVER do anything to clean it up or keep it trimmed.  So for the past few years, I'll trim up my side, but I get tired of disposing of the brush, so I will sometimes leave it on the ground or shove it back underneath, since it's a mess anyways.  The 60-something year old mom reprimanded me a few months ago for doing that, which is fair.  She threatened to send video of me doing it to the police, which is laughable and didn't scare me.  I know that what I'd done isn't neighborly, but they've never been good neighbors at all and have never talked to us or attempted to be friendly. 

Since that small scolding, I've been cutting a length of grass on their side yard, that runs along the street and sidewalk, since their landscapers never cut it and the homeowners certainly never get behind the business end of a lawnmower.  I figured that helps make up for me making them mad and I know that she's seen me do it.  Yesterday, we had all of the windows open and the smell of smoke started flowing into the house.  Later in the day, I see that they're out burning brush with leaves (against the village code).  So pretended to take a picture of her from my driveway, hidden mostly by brush, and I hear her shout "quit being an asshole!"   :lol   I guess it's ok for her to take video of me doing something she feels is wrong, but I can't have proof of her openly breaking the village code?  It's so weird that she watches me so closely and any activity by my family along the property line drives her crazy.  Not one thank you for doing something nice.  Hell, I shovel and snowblow a long length of sidewalk along that side of their house every single time it snows because it's a bus-stop for school kids.  She's never acknowledged it or thanked me for doing it.  She actually told me to stop doing it because she thinks the village maintains that side of her house. 

I'm not bothered by her not liking me, but having a neighbor that is such a crab is incredibly annoying.  I have to go back to just ignoring her again.  I've given them so much leniency when it comes to noise from their landscapers at 7pm (my kid's bedtime) or from their kid's small parties that go on into the later hours, but she will take any opportunity she can to complain to me about anything she dislikes about me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:14:39 AM by Grappler »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3985 on: August 31, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »
Crabby neighbours are awful.  We actually had mean vindictive ones about 20 years ago.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3986 on: August 31, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »
I own a cleaning business and make good money at it, so I can’t put this in the “pissed off” thread. But owning a cleaning business definitely reveals that the average person is an unmitigated asshole. Don’t wipe their feet, don’t have bathroom skills mastered, leave coffee stains on carpets everywhere. I mean these asswipes haven’t mastered DRINKING FROM A CUP, something 2-yr-olds can do.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3987 on: August 31, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
 :lol considering I somehow soaked the ceiling of my kitchen with beer, I can see how all this happens and isn't just "I'm extremely disgusting"

And when I opened my fridge a can of beer fell out and somehow got a tiny puncture which led it to short a very tight stream of beer out of it.  I immediately put it into the sink before realizing it was spraying but the damage was done, it shot all over the ceiling (and my eye).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3988 on: August 31, 2020, 10:08:18 PM »
Surgery

I've had it now twice in my life and truly never want to do it again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3989 on: September 01, 2020, 01:48:49 AM »