Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309293 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3920 on: August 19, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
 :lol yea, it's a bit funny when someone orders an item from the wrong restaurant.  To go back to my Boston Market days, you'd consistently get a few people asking for a bucket of fried chicken with fries.... none of which Boston Market serves, but we all know who does

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3921 on: August 19, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »
When there’s people queuing to order in a cafe or restaurant. And other people walk in and go and claim

a table first then queue up. So now the people that were there first have less choice of tables

Once they’ve got their tray of food.  :tdwn

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, I don't agree with this (unless there's some posted rule against it).  It just makes good sense.  When I've been in places like this with my wife and/or kids, I'll often have one or all of them get a table while I get in line to order/pick up the food.

It's like people who don't put their shopping carts back. We should have a thread on just that.

You know, it is high time we had a "true American heroes" thread.

The few times I was required to work the register, I was shocked at how many people had apparently failed to glance at the menu at any point before they reached the counter. And I worked at Five Guys which has pretty much the most basic menu possible.

It's been a long time since I worked at Del Taco, Carl's Jr. and a non-chain restaurant, but yeah.  The other one I thought was funny was when a guy walked up to my register at Carl's Jr. and ordered "a big breakfast."  I politely asked him to repeat himself, and he did, and my response was to turn and gesture at the menu board where the breakfasts were listed and say, "ok, which one?"  He finally ordered something, and I later learned that "The Big Breakfast" was something that was, at the time, on the McDonald's breakfast menu.  It was funny to me at the time.

Quoting my own post because of the page break.

:lol yea, it's a bit funny when someone orders an item from the wrong restaurant.  To go back to my Boston Market days, you'd consistently get a few people asking for a bucket of fried chicken with fries.... none of which Boston Market serves, but we all know who does

It would be great to say, "ok, I'll be right back; wait here," and then come back 5 minutes later with some KFC.

I also spent 3 years working at Baskin-Robbins in a mall, and we got some of the dumbest customers ever.  The worst were the folks who wanted to bitch at us (all college age kids who had no control over anything) about the price of a cone in comparison to what you could get at Thrifty Drug Store (somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 cents versus 25 cents for a single scoop).  Did these folks really think we were the ones setting the prices?  I legitimately got to the point where I said, "I don't make the prices.  Buy it or don't.  I don't really care."

We also got people who simply couldn't handle complex flavor names like "Jamoca" and "Jamoca Almond Fudge," which people were constantly pronouncing as "Jamaica" and "Jamaica Almond Fudge."  We also had a lot of folks who would order the basic vanilla, chocolate and strawberry in Spanish.  Vanilla and chocolate are easy enough, but I refused to indulge folks who expected me to know that "fresa" was strawberry.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3922 on: August 19, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
DUDE!!!!!!   My daughter worked at Chip... let's say a chain mexican restaurant.  And she's done pretty well with getting along with her boss, so she does the fill in on the line, the cashier (I guess that's a big thing) and in the dining room.   I've taken to looking forward to her coming home and we'll sit down, she'll eat her dinner (from the restaurant) and tell us stories.   

The absolutely best are those like yours, where she gets questions that she has absolutely no insight into whatsoever.   The others are when customers ask for something different, then complain.   There was a guy that came in and wanted a burrito with meat, no rice, no veggies, just all the salsas.  I mean literally, all four or five flavors, then wanted the melted queso on there too.  So she made it, and wrapped it, and because it was basically chunky liquid in a tortilla, it was hard to wrap.  So he says "that looks horrible, can you rewrap it?" and she does, but when she unwrapped it, he looked inside - with HIS ingredients - and said "wow, that looks disgusting, can you remake it?"    The manager stepped in and was diplomatic ("we can, but with the ingredients it might not look any better; would you like something different inside?") but my kid was like "bro, you're clearly a beginner at this."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3923 on: August 19, 2020, 01:25:30 PM »
The other thing that drove me nuts at Baskin Robbins was the people who would stand in front of a cabinet and simply point at what they wanted, as though they were incapable of say the name.  The problem with that was that, because of the way the cabinets were built (with a small metal counter on top of the angled glass front and angled plastic door on the employee's side), it was nearly impossible to see where they were pointing.  You'd either have to stand on your tip-toes or bend over to look up through the glass.  It got to the point where I'd just randomly hold the scooper over one of the tubs and say, "this one?"  Even if I figured out which one they wanted, I'd sometimes intentionally point to the wrong tub just turn the annoyance around.  Once I even walked around the counter in a busy store to stand next to the person to figure out what the heck he or she wanted.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3924 on: August 19, 2020, 01:31:45 PM »
 :lol same issue at boston market since it's got a similar set up as an ice cream store, also even with all the signs saying do not touch the glass, so many people touch it and one idiot leaned on it one day completely shattering it and ruining all the food.  People are such morons.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3925 on: August 19, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
Our holiday park restaurant ( pre covid at least ) has 31 tables in one zone. 20 in another zone. And 36 tables on the decking outside.

We all just love it when someone wants to order food for their large group - and we ask what table they are sat on

- and they just go " dunno - over there ".

And the restaurant is PACKED.

----

That - or they DO give a table number - but when a runner takes out the massive tray with 5 - 6 heavy plates on and goes to their table....And they've moved without saying anything so

now you have NO IDEA where they are. And you're carrying this extremely heavy tray around looking for them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3926 on: August 19, 2020, 01:39:37 PM »
Are you supposed to know your table number?  I don't think I'd ever know what table I was at unless they were visibly numbered but even then, I wouldn't have that memorized if I left my seat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3927 on: August 19, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »
Yeah, you had me until that last one.  I'm DEFINITELY the guy that gets up and goes and asks the server "can I have this, please?" and points to the table.   

That's actually something that might annoy servers, but I can't help it.  I feel bad being that guy that waves at you like you're a dog.  So if I want something small - or I forgot to ask for something - I'll absolutely get up and go over and say "please don't make a special trip, but can I have some mayonnaise" or some shit.   My logical brain says "This is their job; they don't need you walking through tables interupting other servers; they aren't thinking about your table at that moment and do not know who you are..." etc. but I FEEL BAD.   :) 

But in no event do I know or even GUESS what my table number is.  Do they number in rows? Columns?  Booths first then free tables (because they can be moved or removed)?   Beyond my ken.   "I'm over there!".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3928 on: August 19, 2020, 01:56:57 PM »
Still at mildly irritating, but moving swiftly to "pissing me off":   not people that don't wear masks, but people that DO and don't put it over the nose.   "Medical condition", yadda yadda yadda, but it still just smacks of "I'm too lazy/important/stupid to cover my nose with this piece of cloth".   I dunno, it bugs me.  I might argue something different in P/R where it's not about me, but that's not here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3929 on: August 19, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »
Still at mildly irritating, but moving swiftly to "pissing me off":   not people that don't wear masks, but people that DO and don't put it over the nose.   "Medical condition", yadda yadda yadda, but it still just smacks of "I'm too lazy/important/stupid to cover my nose with this piece of cloth".   I dunno, it bugs me.  I might argue something different in P/R where it's not about me, but that's not here.

Plus, you look stupid wearing it that way. What also gets me is people around here, in the country, who wear it while walking outside. Absolutely NOBODY anywhere near them, but walking across town with a mask on in the summer heat. Why?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3930 on: August 19, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »

Plus, you look stupid wearing it that way. What also gets me is people around here, in the country, who wear it while walking outside. Absolutely NOBODY anywhere near them, but walking across town with a mask on in the summer heat. Why?  :lol

I was in Target back in April or so -- one of the first times they required folks to wear masks, and they also lined folks up in a single line for the checkstands and had an employee telling folks which lane to go to.  That employee was wearing her mask down below her nose.  I don't have a problem wearing the damn thing, but if you're going to require it, you sure as fuck ought to teach your employees how to wear them correctly.

Beyond the folks walking outside are folks in their cars, by themselves, with the windows shut, and wearing a fucking mask.  FFS, why?!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3931 on: August 19, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
I'd assume people put on their masks before they leave home and take them off when they get back, since touching your mask a bunch in between kinda misses the point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3932 on: August 19, 2020, 09:32:49 PM »
I've done that a few times, and, depending on the situation, it is either (1) I just absent-mindedly put it on without realizing it, or (2) I had had it on awhile and kinda forgot I had it on when I got into the car.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3933 on: August 20, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »
Absent minded for sure. I've caught myself because my mind was on a billion things.

Also, I never wear my mask in my truck but when I leave the truck, it's on.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3934 on: August 20, 2020, 06:11:58 AM »
Something that has been driving me nuts since the start of working from home.

I want preface this with I know I sound like an asshole but I can't help getting irritated. Peoples little kids on the phone during meetings, it's all the fucking time some kid is screaming into the phone and it's usually the same 3-4 people at my work. The thing that really gets me is that these people are often the ones to set the meeting up and 95% of the time it could've been an email.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: August 20, 2020, 07:09:59 AM »
^ That would drive me mad.

Very very mildly irritating: all that angsty 'life sux ur hurting me' alt rock with the gruff bro singing from the early 2000s. With some exceptions, I think this is easily the worst style of music I've ever heard, even more than country rap. Everything about it sucks. Unfortunately I gotta hear it every day at work. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3936 on: August 20, 2020, 07:30:07 AM »
^ I sort of "collect" soundtracks, because oftentimes there's a song on there that isn't available anywhere else, and rather than pay the $40 for the deluxe version with that song as a bonus track, I can usually get a soundtrack for $1.00 or so on eBay.   Anyway, I have probably 10 or 12 for movies in the early/mid 2000's that are chock full of songs by Puddle Of Mudd, Drowning Puddle and Seether and Breather and Creeper and Chevelle and Camaro and Firebird... and I'm joking of course, but they all are so generic.   Brickwalled production, amped up singing about the end of the world, and - and I know this is just my taste - but all are eminently forgettable.   

I'm sure there is real talent in there, and I'm sure if I dug into the catalogue I'd find something interesting, but in my ripping exercise, I'm only at "Ozzy" and I have something like 1,800 CDs, so I don't need to dig more, if you know what I'm sayin'. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3937 on: August 20, 2020, 07:37:25 AM »
^ I sort of "collect" soundtracks, because oftentimes there's a song on there that isn't available anywhere else, and rather than pay the $40 for the deluxe version with that song as a bonus track, I can usually get a soundtrack for $1.00 or so on eBay.   Anyway, I have probably 10 or 12 for movies in the early/mid 2000's that are chock full of songs by Puddle Of Mudd, Drowning Puddle and Seether and Breather and Creeper and Chevelle and Camaro and Firebird... and I'm joking of course, but they all are so generic.   Brickwalled production, amped up singing about the end of the world, and - and I know this is just my taste - but all are eminently forgettable.   

I'm sure there is real talent in there, and I'm sure if I dug into the catalogue I'd find something interesting, but in my ripping exercise, I'm only at "Ozzy" and I have something like 1,800 CDs, so I don't need to dig more, if you know what I'm sayin'.

YES. Exactly. Staind ruined music imo.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3938 on: August 20, 2020, 07:38:29 AM »
Something that has been driving me nuts since the start of working from home.

I want preface this with I know I sound like an asshole but I can't help getting irritated. Peoples little kids on the phone during meetings, it's all the fucking time some kid is screaming into the phone and it's usually the same 3-4 people at my work. The thing that really gets me is that these people are often the ones to set the meeting up and 95% of the time it could've been an email.

Our North America Senior Vice President (he basically runs the Americas; nice guy) actually sent around an email early in this whole thing asking for patience and understanding on that point.  THAT I get; you can't always control when you get a call, and if a dog barks, it's not the end of the world.   Having said that, that's not the same thing as having your kids crawl up on your lap, or do their knew shadow puppet thingy before you get into the financials on that new bid opportunity.   I'm lucky, I have a good relationship with my co-workers, so I can and do drop in the one-liner here and again, but that said, I want to get done with work so I can go interact with my OWN kids, and my OWN wife, not be entertained by yours.

Funny story, though:  I was on a call with a company in Canada, a big company, often in the news (not in a good way) so the discussions are serious for us.   They're serious about it too (they're largely French Canadian, so not much sense of humor to start with... I kid! I kid!) and one day it's getting really intense and in the middle of the discussion, one of the lawyers on their side - who is sitting out on his porch for the video call - is talking and his wife comes up behind him, like a white-shoe waiter, with a tray with what is clearly a sandwich, bowl of chips and a beer.   I thought that was hilarious and actually was a perfect mood lifter for the call.  He's not lived it down since, but it was a funny moment. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3939 on: August 20, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
I have a coworker that I'm on the phone with 1-4 hours a day pending the day of the week. Since Monday, he's had a smoke alarm's low battery alert chirping in the background. Every 60 seconds... BEEP. It's driving me nuts.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3940 on: August 20, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
I have a coworker that I'm on the phone with 1-4 hours a day pending the day of the week. Since Monday, he's had a smoke alarm's low battery alert chirping in the background. Every 60 seconds... BEEP. It's driving me nuts.

Forget DTF, how does THAT person sleep at night?  No, literally, how do they?  That shit would keep me awake all night!  It's like a baby's cry to me - make it stop, and ASAP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3941 on: August 20, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »

Forget DTF, how does THAT person sleep at night?  No, literally, how do they?  That shit would keep me awake all night!  It's like a baby's cry to me - make it stop, and ASAP.

:lol nice DTF nugget.  But yea, that noise drives me up a wall.  I hear it in the background when I game with random people online sometimes, it's so infuriating. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3942 on: August 20, 2020, 02:27:35 PM »
his wife comes up behind him, like a white-shoe waiter, with a tray with what is clearly a sandwich, bowl of chips and a beer.   I thought that was hilarious and actually was a perfect mood lifter for the call.  He's not lived it down since, but it was a funny moment.

Had the same thing happen a month or so ago.  Dude is in his office; door behind him is closed.  All's going well.  3 people from my company on the Zoom; 3-4 from his company.  It's noon-time.  Partway thru the call, door opens, and wifey brings in a tray of food and a drink like it's room service.  After she leaves, I break the tension with "how do I get service like that?".  A few chuckles on the line - but this dude doesn't even flinch.  Keeps right on going (not sure if he's just ignoring it, or not impressed with the commentary).  Anyway, 15 minutes later, she comes in with a cup of coffee.  Nobody said a thing.

Per my sig, I'd have a better shot at bringing the internet to the Amish than getting mrs.jingle to bring me lunch and my afternoon coffee.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3943 on: August 20, 2020, 02:29:34 PM »

Man. I hear this sound every day coming from an apartment next to mine (in another building, not connected to me) every day when I'm on my way to/from work. But there are at least 2 adults and 1 baby in that unit, and I can't reconcile why this has been beeping for 2 years now if people live in there. This mystery is probably never gonna be solved.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3944 on: August 20, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »

Man. I hear this sound every day coming from an apartment next to mine (in another building, not connected to me) every day when I'm on my way to/from work. But there are at least 2 adults and 1 baby in that unit, and I can't reconcile why this has been beeping for 2 years now if people live in there. This mystery is probably never gonna be solved.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3945 on: August 20, 2020, 05:18:14 PM »
Are you supposed to know your table number?  I don't think I'd ever know what table I was at unless they were visibly numbered but even then, I wouldn't have that memorized if I left my seat.

Yes every table has a massive circle on it with the table number printed on.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3946 on: August 21, 2020, 12:21:42 AM »
Things I find irritating:

Trumpy Bear commercials.  W in T goddamn F.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Until It just came up.

I couldn't help but  :rollin

I
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3947 on: August 21, 2020, 04:59:07 AM »
Boxer briefs without a fly.  See other thread.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: August 21, 2020, 07:00:32 AM »
People who are way too happy and jolly first thing in the morning.

I can't even muster up the motivation to even speak until around lunch time.

But you get to work at like 0830 and theres always that one person who's like "  :lol GOOOD MORRRNIIING !!!! ITS GONNA BE A WONDERFULLL DAY !!!!! "

:angry:

* Not people who are *happy*. Just overly jolly and bouncy and hyper first thing in the morning. It takes me up to 45 minutes just to get out of bed these days.  :sadpanda:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3949 on: August 21, 2020, 07:16:14 AM »
People who are way too happy and jolly first thing in the morning.

I can't even muster up the motivation to even speak until around lunch time.

But you get to work at like 0830 and theres always that one person who's like "  :lol GOOOD MORRRNIIING !!!! ITS GONNA BE A WONDERFULLL DAY !!!!! "

:angry:

* Not people who are *happy*. Just overly jolly and bouncy and hyper first thing in the morning. It takes me up to 45 minutes just to get out of bed these days.  :sadpanda:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3950 on: August 21, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
On the subject of queuing - if your nose isn’t touching the neck of the person in front of you - the person behind somehow assumes you’re not in the queue and tries to push in...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3951 on: August 21, 2020, 11:16:15 AM »

Unrelated, I'm a big fan of Lisa Kudrow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3952 on: August 21, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »
Same.

My upstairs neighbours' beeps too. I can't hear it from inside my flat but I can from the corridor. And it's louder when her door is open.

I dunno how someone can put up with that for days let alone years.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3953 on: August 23, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
My power just went out, and it occurred to me that I never got around to buying a flashlight. :d'oh:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3954 on: August 24, 2020, 05:39:18 AM »

Life pro tip: If you have any solar garden lights, you can bring them inside at night if you have no power.