Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309469 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3780 on: August 06, 2020, 06:52:36 AM »

1) The cost of the type of thing above
2) The scarcity of the above on the used market

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3781 on: August 06, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »
Never had problems with my ISP (4+ years at my current place) til a couple days ago when the Internet just stopped working. Modem lights up and powers on and I can connect to the network but there's just no Internet. Tried absolutely everything under the sun to get it running again; ended up swapping the modem yesterday for a new one. Called the customer support line to set it up, he can't get it online. Dafuq. Lady at the local office says they can't send someone out for a whole week, then I have to take a whole afternoon off just for that (which I really can't do). What!  :censored
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3782 on: August 06, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
Never had problems with my ISP (4+ years at my current place) til a couple days ago when the Internet just stopped working. Modem lights up and powers on and I can connect to the network but there's just no Internet. Tried absolutely everything under the sun to get it running again; ended up swapping the modem yesterday for a new one. Called the customer support line to set it up, he can't get it online. Dafuq. Lady at the local office says they can't send someone out for a whole week, then I have to take a whole afternoon off just for that (which I really can't do). What!  :censored

You should have called before swapping the modem.  I don't know what your set up is, but the few times my internet as gone out and a reboot of the modem didn't work, I'd call them and they were able to reset the connection remotely and it always has worked so far.  However, if your issue is worse than something like that, I can see why you'd be irritated.  Having to have a tech come out is like a waste of your day.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3783 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:21 AM »

You should have called before swapping the modem.  I don't know what your set up is, but the few times my internet as gone out and a reboot of the modem didn't work, I'd call them and they were able to reset the connection remotely and it always has worked so far.  However, if your issue is worse than something like that, I can see why you'd be irritated.  Having to have a tech come out is like a waste of your day.

I did call before swapping. They told me to come replace the modem after they couldn't get the first one back up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3784 on: August 06, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »
Weird, replace with what though?  Like shouldnt they supply a new one instead of asking you to find another one?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3785 on: August 06, 2020, 08:20:26 AM »
Weird, replace with what though?  Like shouldnt they supply a new one instead of asking you to find another one?

They did supply me with a new one. That's what I meant by replace. I went to the office and got a new one. Same problem.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3786 on: August 06, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »

They did supply me with a new one. That's what I meant by replace. I went to the office and got a new one. Same problem.

Ohhhh I totally didn't get these details before. Yeah, sucks cause now you have to deal with a tech. Hopefully they figure it out tbe first shot when they get there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3787 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
I went up to the office and they're so low on staff they only have a couple techs which means I am screwed til next Wednesday and have to use my phone as a mobile hotspot but that'll eat up my data. They better credit my account :/ a whole week before someone can even come out for something like this is pretty nuts imo

EDIT: Haha I guess it pays to know people. Got hold of the supervisor who we've done a ton of work for and he'll have someone out today  :lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:36:50 AM by The Walrus »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: August 06, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »
Someone nicked my scissors at work. Again. This is the second time it happened in the last 1,5 years. The ones the company gives us are shitty so I usually buy a better pair and apparently some people in the office really like them. It's not like they're expensive too, maybe $5-10 at best, so it's just enough to be mildly irritating but not enough to be really bothered by that. I walked through our room (we've got a huge room where like 60+ people sit, maybe it's more like an office space) lowkey looking at desks but didn't see them anywhere.

Bought a new pair today, can't wait to see how long they'll last this time.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3789 on: August 06, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
Someone nicked my scissors at work. Again. This is the second time it happened in the last 1,5 years. The ones the company gives us are shitty so I usually buy a better pair and apparently some people in the office really like them. It's not like they're expensive too, maybe $5-10 at best, so it's just enough to be mildly irritating but not enough to be really bothered by that. I walked through our room (we've got a huge room where like 60+ people sit, maybe it's more like an office space) lowkey looking at desks but didn't see them anywhere.

Bought a new pair today, can't wait to see how long they'll last this time.

Time for a trail cam.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3790 on: August 06, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
A couple on the same general topic:

1.  People who pronounce Floor Jansen's name like the opposite of "ceiling," when it is actually pronounced similarly to the French name/word "Fleur" (both of which mean "flower").
2.  People who use the term "Floorgasm," and apparently think it is funny and/or cool and/or anything other than cringy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3791 on: August 06, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »

1.  People who pronounce Floor Jansen's name like the opposite of "ceiling," when it is actually pronounced similarly to the French name/word "Fleur" (both of which mean "flower").

I would never know that though. I read it as Floor.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3792 on: August 06, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »
Some might say the same about the military rank of Loo-tenent.  :biggrin:

A team-mate of mine pronounces the "a" in Bayer (aspirin) as an "i".  He's German.  There's nothing wrong with his pronunciation.  Nothing wrong with mine either.  It's local linguistics.  I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Floor vs Fleur.  Jerry vs Yerry if coming from a norther European.

:dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3793 on: August 06, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »
Floor doesnt seem bothered by it so I dont see why I would.  I'm not even sure I've ever heard anyone call her with "proper pronunciation" actually.

Floorgasm is just a fun term unique to her, so I like it.  Is it childish? sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3794 on: August 06, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »
No more cringey than Boskgasm. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3795 on: August 06, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »

2.  People who use the term "Floorgasm," and apparently think it is funny and/or cool and/or anything other than cringy.

Is "#2" related to "#1"?   :)   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3796 on: August 06, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »
Guy LaFloor
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3797 on: August 06, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »

This nice lady told me this on my walk to eat at ProgPower, she was also attending. I pronounced it "Floor" and she corrected and said it's actually pronounced "Fleur", we had a good time getting me to get the accent down. She was actually surprised I got it pretty quick.

Now I'm mildly irritated ProgPower isn't happening this year...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3798 on: August 06, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3799 on: August 06, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
So on the MSN homepage I see this headline:

Are Becca Kufrin and Garrett Yrigoyen Still Together? Signs They Split

Who the fuck are these people and why the hell would anyone care if they were together or not??

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3800 on: August 06, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »

Who the fuck are these people and why the hell would anyone care if they were together or not??

Fuck if I know (and I'm not googling to find out).

Didn't Stadler post something almost identical to this (albeit probably with different people) not too long ago?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3801 on: August 06, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »

I would never know that though. I read it as Floor.

I've only ever seen the name Floor Jansen on these forums (and don't really know who she (?) is), but I always assumed it was "pronounce[d] . . . like the opposite of 'ceiling.'"

I would wager to say that, prior to the early 2000s, most folks pronouced the Rush drummer's last name as "pert," when the correct pronunciation is "peert," and the spelling implies a pronunciation like the fruit with a "t" at the end.  I don't think the mispronunciation bothered him any, probably because none of the mispronunciations are unreasonable based on the spelling.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3802 on: August 07, 2020, 06:38:44 AM »

Fuck if I know (and I'm not googling to find out).

Didn't Stadler post something almost identical to this (albeit probably with different people) not too long ago?

If I didn't, I should have, because it's irksome.  Partly because it's people I don't know, but mostly because of the sensationalism of it.  "Signs they split"; WTF. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3803 on: August 09, 2020, 02:13:33 PM »
People who are like " We Don't Deserve Dogsssssss  :'("

When every day I have to avoid dog shit on the pavement - I have dogs out of my window barking all day at nothing. I go out for walks and random dogs just lash out at me and

their owners have to restrain them..

And on the same walk I can have 3 different cats come up to me for a cuddle.

If Dogs were silent i'd like them a fuck load more. I just can't take that noise.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3804 on: August 10, 2020, 08:00:53 AM »
The whole concept of "deserve" is mildly irritating to me. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3805 on: August 10, 2020, 08:42:43 AM »
The whole concept of "deserve" is mildly irritating to me.

In actuality, we don't even deserve to live. But yet, we are all living, even the bad ones.   :hat

When every day I have to avoid dog shit on the pavement - I have dogs out of my window barking all day at nothing. I go out for walks and random dogs just lash out at me and

If Dogs were silent i'd like them a fuck load more. I just can't take that noise.

I actually feel sorry for the city dogs. Can't even roam and scourage, explore. They're just stuck in a box all day. Compared to a rural dog, who has vast land to roam and explore. Dogs are loyal, and will return home, they're protectors.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3806 on: August 10, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »

I actually feel sorry for the city dogs. Can't even roam and scourage, explore. They're just stuck in a box all day. Compared to a rural dog, who has vast land to roam and explore. Dogs are loyal, and will return home, they're protectors.
I grew up in the suburbs and my wife grew up in the country. I never had a dog, but many of my friends did. Most had them for more than a decade and had maybe one or two dogs throughout their childhood. My wife was recently listing off all of the dogs she grew up with. There are more than 10. "That one ran away and we never saw him/her again" occurred several times. Multiple were run over by cars and killed. One was suspected of being shot by neighbors for going on their property. Sure, they had free reign to run around and explore, but they had a much shorter life expectancy and often died of traumatic things. So I'm not convinced that country dogs are better off than city dogs. Though I agree that people who need to keep their dogs shut in crates most of the day probably shouldn't have a dog.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3807 on: August 10, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »

I grew up in the suburbs and my wife grew up in the country. I never had a dog, but many of my friends did. Most had them for more than a decade and had maybe one or two dogs throughout their childhood. My wife was recently listing off all of the dogs she grew up with. There are more than 10. "That one ran away and we never saw him/her again" occurred several times. Multiple were run over by cars and killed. One was suspected of being shot by neighbors for going on their property. Sure, they had free reign to run around and explore, but they had a much shorter life expectancy and often died of traumatic things. So I'm not convinced that country dogs are better off than city dogs. Though I agree that people who need to keep their dogs shut in crates most of the day probably shouldn't have a dog.

I bet my dog is just as happy having to do 6 miles a day on a leash as a country dog that has to defend livestock against coyotes and mountain lions is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3808 on: August 10, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
My dogs growing up would never be left to roam around outside.  We'd let them out to piss/shit, but I would not be comfortable letting my pet loose like that, even a cat.  It greatly decreases their lifespan and who knows what parasites they would bring inside.  I think many cats/dogs are perfectly fine with a life confined indoors.  Not all breeds though, but many of the popular ones you see as house pets.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3809 on: August 10, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
More than mildly irritating: how I can wear a deodorant for years with no problem, but how it will cause an extremely painful rash the next day if I go out and do an hour of cardio with it. WTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3810 on: August 10, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
Guess it’s time to stop doing the cardio.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3811 on: August 10, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
Guess it’s time to stop doing the cardio.  :lol

:rollin That's one way to look at it!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3812 on: August 10, 2020, 01:18:08 PM »
More than mildly irritating: how I can wear a deodorant for years with no problem, but how it will cause an extremely painful rash the next day if I go out and do an hour of cardio with it. WTF.

Ironic timing.  I usually use Old Spice, but found a stick of Dove in the cupboard and used it a few times last week.  Bad - BAD - rash.  Like a sunburn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3813 on: August 10, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »

Ironic timing.  I usually use Old Spice, but found a stick of Dove in the cupboard and used it a few times last week.  Bad - BAD - rash.  Like a sunburn.

Yeah, exactly like that. It sucks. I tend to use Old Spice as well. I've got several sticks laying around (I always have a backup on hand, and then sometimes I buy extra because I'm dumb and forget what I already have at home), and I tossed one of them in the garbage last night after it caused that for the second time this summer. It was the blue clear stick kind, I forget what scent exactly, but holy shit, right at the top of my armpit at the crease where it meets my pec, ouch. This finally converted me to the church of Gold Bond. So sick of the deodorant rash  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3814 on: August 10, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »
Speaking of deodorant...

A couple months back, my daughter and I went to Target over the weekend to get some stuff that got left off the grocery list and ostensibly couldn't wait until the next shopping trip (which my wife does during the week).  My daughter grabbed a stick of "Native" deodorant, which was priced at like $12 for a 2.65 ounce stick, and I said, "ummm...no."  By comparison, I use Right Guard Sport, which is about $6 for three 3-ounce "sticks."  When we got home, I mentioned to my wife that daughter wanted to buy deodorant that was $12 per *#@! stick.  Her response was that that's what she and the daughter use, and "I'm not going to have my baby getting breast cancer."

I kinda said "WTF?!" but I know better to engage in that sort of discussion.  But seriously...WTF?!  From a quick Google search I did, even the American Cancer Society agrees that there is no scientific link between the Aluminum compound in most deodorants and breast cancer.  I find it "mildly annoying" that my wife is willing to spend so much money on a mundane product for no apparent good reason.