Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309762 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3640 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:21 AM »
So today is my birthday. This morning, no one said anything, which was fine as my wife and oldest get up first and go for a walk before I get up, then start their school work as I get my youngest going. By lunchtime no one said anything, which was a little weird, but ok. By the afternoon, I thought "ok, is there a point where I say something?" I finally said something, and they felt awful. We talked about it, everything was cool. Except my freezer. I went to grab some ice for my drink and realized everything was thawing. Noticed the fridge wasn't cooling either. It was running, the lights were on. There was some cold air blowing. But it was checking out. So we spent the last couple hours of the day moving everything into our garage freezer and all the coolers we could find. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3641 on: June 04, 2020, 12:50:22 AM »
So today is my birthday. This morning, no one said anything, which was fine as my wife and oldest get up first and go for a walk before I get up, then start their school work as I get my youngest going. By lunchtime no one said anything, which was a little weird, but ok. By the afternoon, I thought "ok, is there a point where I say something?" I finally said something, and they felt awful. We talked about it, everything was cool. Except my freezer. I went to grab some ice for my drink and realized everything was thawing. Noticed the fridge wasn't cooling either. It was running, the lights were on. There was some cold air blowing. But it was checking out. So we spent the last couple hours of the day moving everything into our garage freezer and all the coolers we could find.

Well shit.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3642 on: June 04, 2020, 05:04:38 AM »
So today is my birthday. This morning, no one said anything, which was fine as my wife and oldest get up first and go for a walk before I get up, then start their school work as I get my youngest going. By lunchtime no one said anything, which was a little weird, but ok. By the afternoon, I thought "ok, is there a point where I say something?" I finally said something, and they felt awful. We talked about it, everything was cool. Except my freezer. I went to grab some ice for my drink and realized everything was thawing. Noticed the fridge wasn't cooling either. It was running, the lights were on. There was some cold air blowing. But it was checking out. So we spent the last couple hours of the day moving everything into our garage freezer and all the coolers we could find.

You should've moved your family into the garage. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3643 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:14 AM »
Happy b-day, Chris!  :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: June 04, 2020, 05:27:24 AM »
Happy Birthday, Chris, and many returns.

I wish I could get my family to forget about my birthday. Lucky!  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3645 on: June 04, 2020, 07:12:37 AM »

Happy fucking birthday, amirite?    :)

Seriously, though; happy birthday.  No excuses, but I know for me, it's a challenge to remember the actual days as they happen.   I was on a call this morning with my boss, and we spent a couple minutes - more than we should have - deciding that it was "Thursday".   We didn't even get to the day number.  ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3646 on: June 04, 2020, 07:45:49 AM »
Happy late b-day, Chris!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3647 on: June 04, 2020, 07:59:21 AM »
29 right Chris?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3648 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01:24 AM »
'Special' days during the pandemic are a challenge.  Our Anniversary was in April, Mother's Day, and Father's Day upcoming... all kinda weird.

None-the-less, Happy Birthday Chris.  Sorry to hear it was a lunch-bag letdown... family and freezer.  :-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3649 on: June 04, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
Happy birthday bud!

See? This is why DTF is better than your family.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3650 on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »
Happy birthday bud!

Well, we forgot too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3651 on: June 04, 2020, 09:48:12 AM »
Happy birthday bud!

Well, we forgot too.

Shhhh!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3652 on: June 04, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
Thank you my friends. I am not a big birthday guy. I am in my 40s. I don't want a party, presents or cake. But not getting a "happy birthday" from the family was annoying. And I guarantee if I forgot the wife's.... well that would not have been pleasant. I also traditionally go to a Chinese buffet out of a tradition that started so long ago I don't even remember why it started, but it goes back at least 10+ years. And of course that was out this year.

Seriously, though; happy birthday.  No excuses, but I know for me, it's a challenge to remember the actual days as they happen.   I was on a call this morning with my boss, and we spent a couple minutes - more than we should have - deciding that it was "Thursday".   We didn't even get to the day number.  ;)

I would definitely see the validity to that. But my wife teaches, and runs a Zoom meeting with her class every weekday. The first thing they do... a calendar activity, basic stuff like identifying the day and date.   :facepalm:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: June 04, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »
I would definitely see the validity to that. But my wife teaches, and runs a Zoom meeting with her class every weekday. The first thing they do... a calendar activity, basic stuff like identifying the day and date.   :facepalm:

I didn't know you were married to a kindergarten teacher.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3654 on: June 04, 2020, 11:21:59 AM »
She teaches elementary students with special needs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3655 on: June 04, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »
Oh.  :| :(

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3656 on: June 04, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »

As does mine. Listening to some of her online classes was entertaining but I feel for her (and your wife) as most of her students are very low IQ that require a lot of hands on work.....which is just impossible with the online classes. And, it asks a lot from the parents who simply aren't qualified to 'teach' special needs.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3657 on: June 04, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »

As does mine. Listening to some of her online classes was entertaining but I feel for her (and your wife) as most of her students are very low IQ that require a lot of hands on work.....which is just impossible with the online classes. And, it asks a lot from the parents who simply aren't qualified to 'teach' special needs.

Huh, I did not know that. Without getting off-track, yes it has been very challenging. Parent engagement has been the biggest challenge. Some are engaged, communicating regularly; others she has heard from once since school closed in March. She sends them surveys, half of them respond. She can't help them if she doesn't know what they need, or if they are even accessing the online tools she is setting up for them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3658 on: June 04, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »

My son (special needs) is a senior, and frankly, the at home work has been negligible at best. I feel for teachers that were put in this position, especially for special needs classes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3659 on: June 04, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
At least you are an engaged parent Tim.  You care, that matters. Especially in these trying times.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3660 on: June 04, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
At least you are an engaged parent Tim.  You care, that matters. Especially in these trying times.

Graduation on Sunday!!

Which is something I have thought about addressing in the Pissed Off Thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3661 on: June 04, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
Nope. Time to rejoice even in this shitshow.   I'm so happy for you and your family.   CAKE IT UP!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3662 on: June 04, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
Thanks Joe, I appreciate that. I really do.

My son is no more important than anyone else's but man, he is a gift.

I was about to rage post earlier this week about the school's graduation plans, but he and my wife attended the rehearsal today, and he was so fired up.

The fact that it's so fucked up actually has him fired up about it. HE will enjoy it a lot more than a traditional ceremony. My opinion on the whole fiasco really changed today when I saw how excited he was.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3663 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »
That gleam in his eyes is all a parent can ask for. Enjoy every second dad.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3664 on: June 04, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »

Graduation on Sunday!!

Which is something I have thought about addressing in the Pissed Off Thread.

Congrats to the TAClad!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3665 on: June 04, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
Thank you.

I'll post about it in a few days.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3666 on: June 04, 2020, 08:41:21 PM »
Man, that's a good kid you got there TAC. :tup
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3667 on: June 04, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
Thank you Lion! He really is.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: June 04, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »

My wife understands that this is affecting all families differently. But she is having a hard time with parents who are not responding to any of her emails/calls at all. Regardless of how this affecting your family, wouldn't you want to at least check in your kid's teacher once every couple weeks, especially if you child is on an IEP and thus has a more specified learning plan? She has no idea what the kid is working on, if anything. And that can present significant issues if it persists for months.

TAC, looking forward to the posts about the ceremony.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3669 on: June 05, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »

My son (special needs) is a senior, and frankly, the at home work has been negligible at best. I feel for teachers that were put in this position, especially for special needs classes.

We've REALLY struggled with this.  That has been BY FAR the hardest part of COVID, by a long shot.   For many with autism, structure and routine is PARAMOUNT, and even little things that you and I take for granted, like periods ending, and transitions to new classes are VERY important, and it's just so hard - no, impossible - to recreate that in a home environment when there aren't a group of people - including other students! - to reinforce that routine. 

I think that our son (my stepson), who is 12, has really suffered the most "harm" from this whole response effort.  "Harm" is not the right word, really; it's not like he's incapable, or that he won't rebound, but the chaos is just harder for him to adjust to.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3670 on: June 05, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

We've REALLY struggled with this.  That has been BY FAR the hardest part of COVID, by a long shot.   For many with autism, structure and routine is PARAMOUNT, and even little things that you and I take for granted, like periods ending, and transitions to new classes are VERY important, and it's just so hard - no, impossible - to recreate that in a home environment when there aren't a group of people - including other students! - to reinforce that routine. 

I think that our son (my stepson), who is 12, has really suffered the most "harm" from this whole response effort.  "Harm" is not the right word, really; it's not like he's incapable, or that he won't rebound, but the chaos is just harder for him to adjust to.

You ever watch this show?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80117540

It's about a kid with autism just trying to navigate life and society. It's really good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: June 12, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »
I find it's the little things that drive me insane. not so much the big things.

For example. Getting a puncture on my bike and not being able to ride for a week is just like " oh bummer - well it happens "...

But - the Wifi saying it's fully connected - your PC saying it's connected to the Wifi - and no webpages loading. Drives me apoplectic.

Because it's just. not. working. And there's nothing else you can do about it.  :censored

S**t like that where it's like " WHAT THE F--K ELSE DO YOU NEED ???? "

I liken it to - imagine putting ice cubes in a roaring fire - and them refusing to melt... You'd be like  ??? - What else do you need ?!?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3672 on: June 12, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
I'm irritated that this game in my youth was hijacked.   I'm upset that people are so dumb that I actually said 1987 when that symbol was something else.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3673 on: June 12, 2020, 08:14:46 PM »
What is really offensive is that shirt.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3674 on: June 12, 2020, 08:16:45 PM »
Hawaiian shirts are the bomb.