Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309356 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3535 on: May 18, 2020, 08:12:28 AM »
Tim, if you’re interested I know a great show about a cop who kidnaps and murders the lawyer who was banging his wife at the hospital they worked at.

Sounds awful! :lol

I just spent an hour plus/minus trying to figure out what show that ACTUALLY was.   ;)  :)

Speaking of movies, anyone actually go to a movie theater lately (i.e. pre-COVID)?  Last three movies I went to apparently the rest of the audience couldn't see the prologue where it said "Turn off your cellphones" and "Be respectful of the people around you".  It's like these people forgot they weren't in their basements.  And for fuck's sake, these people will NEVER be allowed in my basement (unless it's a prospective Law and Order: SVU episode).   Animals.   The last film I went to - the 50 Shades movie, romantic night out with the wife - this lady sat the row behind me with a bag of popcorn that could have fed Florida having a running, OUT LOUD, conversation with the antagonist, Christian Gray.   "That's it, Christian, teach her a lesson!".  "No, Christian, don't fall for it, it's a trap."   "Don't get on the helicopter, Christian, it's not worth it!"   "That's it Christian, get out your frustrations!".  I'm not at all joking.  I shot her like four or five of my best Stadler curmudgeonly looks and nothing. THEN, the credits start, and she walks out, walking behind me, and bumps my chair passive-aggressively as if I'm the problem!   

Highlander is AWESOME. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3536 on: May 18, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
Last movie I saw at the theater was Spiderman - Far from home.

I do remember once someone sitting next to me took out a laptop in the middle of a movie (her screen brightness must have been at 100%) and was sending emails and chatting (with sound on). After 30 or so minutes I couldn't take it and kindly asked if she could be the laptop away, which she gave me a death look and put it away.

Since I go to the movies in the city (NYC) I usually encounter some annoying teenager with their phone out, but the Laptop was by far the most annoying.

Side story, Endgame was spoiled (a little) for me because while I was sitting waiting for the movie, there was someone in front of me watching the movie on his phone  :facepalm: and I happen to look at his phone and saw a little of the battle of NY scene.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: May 18, 2020, 08:23:47 AM »
Seriously, there should be a box at the door to the theater where you have to drop your phone in.  I know, logistics nightmare to get it back, but still.  A man can dream. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3538 on: May 18, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »
Last movie I saw in theaters was Avengers: Endgame. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe it's the movies I pick, but I rarely have problems with people in theaters. To be fair the only movies I even bother seeing in theaters are Marvel movies nowadays, and the crowds for those are usually attentive enough, or big enough fans, to not be dicks. Can't remember the last time I heard a baby cry in a theater for example. I remember catching The Dark Knight on opening night at midnight, and you could hear a pin drop in the other corner of the room, I've never had an audience be that still and silent, let alone for 2.5 hours.

Comedies are the absolute best though. I still remember seeing Step Brothers, Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder etc. in theaters (2008 was a really great year for comedies) - the roar of the audience and your friends makes it so much better.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3539 on: May 19, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »
So, when you buy a movie on Google Play, it is in your library forever. Hate it, don't think you'll ever watch it again, buy it by mistake, kid get in to your account and buy something? Tough shit. It's never, ever going away. It can't even be hidden.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3540 on: May 19, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
Last movie I saw at the theater was Spiderman - Far from home.

I do remember once someone sitting next to me took out a laptop in the middle of a movie (her screen brightness must have been at 100%) and was sending emails and chatting (with sound on). After 30 or so minutes I couldn't take it and kindly asked if she could be the laptop away, which she gave me a death look and put it away.

Since I go to the movies in the city (NYC) I usually encounter some annoying teenager with their phone out, but the Laptop was by far the most annoying.

Side story, Endgame was spoiled (a little) for me because while I was sitting waiting for the movie, there was someone in front of me watching the movie on his phone  :facepalm: and I happen to look at his phone and saw a little of the battle of NY scene.

Ha ha people are fucking amazing :rollin
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3541 on: May 19, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
So, when you buy a movie on Google Play, it is in your library forever. Hate it, don't think you'll ever watch it again, buy it by mistake, kid get in to your account and buy something? Tough shit. It's never, ever going away. It can't even be hidden.

You have that problem too eh?  I swear I didn’t notice it was Star Whores.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3542 on: May 21, 2020, 05:55:46 AM »
We need a new dishwasher, so I'm trying to decide which one to get. We know the brand we want and of course they have 7 different models, each getting about $100 more expensive than the lower model. But it's nearly impossible online to determine why model 700 is $300 more than model 100. Is it higher quality materials? Visually it looks nearly identical, other than being a bit quieter, I just can;t figure it out. Is it worth spending a little more money to get a higher quality dishwasher? Normally I'd say yes, but I'm not sure if more money is really better quality or not.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3543 on: May 21, 2020, 06:30:01 AM »
We need a new dishwasher, so I'm trying to decide which one to get. We know the brand we want and of course they have 7 different models, each getting about $100 more expensive than the lower model. But it's nearly impossible online to determine why model 700 is $300 more than model 100. Is it higher quality materials? Visually it looks nearly identical, other than being a bit quieter, I just can;t figure it out. Is it worth spending a little more money to get a higher quality dishwasher? Normally I'd say yes, but I'm not sure if more money is really better quality or not.

The rule of thumb that I've always lived by is to buy the best technology that I can comfortably afford. I've had a Fisher Paykel double dish drawer for fifteen + years and it's been bullet proof. I can highly recommend them. It's outlasted my previous (cheap) dishwasher by a decade and is still as effective, quiet, and versatile as the day we bought it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3544 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »

We paid about $600 for a Frigidaire dishwasher (on sale from $700-$800), and I don't regret it.  Our old one was pretty loud and the quieter models are so incredibly quiet.  I can't even tell this new one is running just based on the general washing sound. 

Some have different features as well, whether it's different wash cycles, indicator displays or lights, etc.  The only thing I've noticed is that the power and water efficiency on newer models might cause it to run longer (instead of a 60 minute normal cycle, it's 2 and a half hours).  Though they have a 30 minute blast cycle that skips on drying time, so dishes are clean, but still very wet when it finishes.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3545 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:40 AM »

The rule of thumb that I've always lived by is to buy the best technology that I can comfortably afford. I've had a Fisher Paykel double dish drawer for fifteen + years and it's been bullet proof. I can highly recommend them. It's outlasted my previous (cheap) dishwasher by a decade and is still as effective, quiet, and versatile as the day we bought it.
Yeah, we're definitely going with a better one than the one we're replacing. But my irritation comes in when it doesn't really explain very well why one model is more expensive than another. If I knew for sure that a few hundred bucks more was going to get me a higher quality dishwasher, I would spend it. But if that few hundred bucks is going to get me some features I don't need or are more likely to break, I don't want it. It's just difficult to compare.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: May 21, 2020, 07:13:09 AM »
You might want to go outside the manufacturer to get more info.  I know with dishwashers, the tub construction matters, and that factors into the cost.  There are websites that compare features. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3547 on: May 21, 2020, 07:59:48 AM »
I saved a lot of money on a dishwasher by doing my dishes by hand. And they get clean the first time, every time ;) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3548 on: May 21, 2020, 08:21:46 AM »
I saved a lot of money on a dishwasher by doing my dishes by hand. And they get clean the first time, every time ;) :)

Easy for the person who lives alone.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3549 on: May 21, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »

Sounds like a euphemism.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: May 21, 2020, 08:29:46 AM »

Easy for the person who lives alone.

Yeah, except I grew up in a house of 6 people and still did the dishes every day. Try again, wiseass :D  :lol

Sounds like a euphemism.

I'm not cleaning your dishes.  :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3551 on: May 21, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
As I'm watching Food Network with my wife and yet another chef comes on with absolutely ludicrous hairstyles/colors/tats/piercings; I'm thinking: You know, you're really NOT making a statement about how cool and anti-establishment and awesomely individualized you are, you are actually just following the latest trends. Nothing unique about you at all. To be clean-cut these days is the real statement.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3552 on: May 21, 2020, 11:44:38 AM »
I find it (somewhat more than mildly) irritating when Netflix sends me email saying, "Don't Forget to Finish Watching [title of movie or show that I or one of the other 3 people in my house started watching but haven't yet finished)!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3553 on: May 21, 2020, 12:00:15 PM »
As I'm watching Food Network with my wife and yet another chef comes on with absolutely ludicrous hairstyles/colors/tats/piercings; I'm thinking: You know, you're really NOT making a statement about how cool and anti-establishment and awesomely individualized you are, you are actually just following the latest trends. Nothing unique about you at all. To be clean-cut these days is the real statement.

100% agree.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the draw for tats.  No disrespect to those who have them, I just don't see the appeal.

Beards on the other hand  :metal, and I can always shave it off if it goes way out of style.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: May 21, 2020, 12:15:24 PM »
EDIT: NOPE! Nevermind. Everyone's allowed to have their opinions  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:22:37 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: May 21, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
It's actually not the tats that bug me - "bug" isn't the right word; I hardly notice them at this point - it's the point that Dream Team makes about the message being sent.   

I watch Food Network a LOT - Chopped, Guy's Grocery Games, Supermarket Stakeout, and World's Worst Cooks are the standouts, plus anything with Alton Brown - and it's amazing to me how much of a cliche the whole image thing has become.   I get it; because of the hours, because of the structure of the food industry it lends itself to that (it's not a 9-to-5 cubicle job) but I can't tell you how many episodes of Chopped start with a spiky, pink-haired person with an eyebrow ring and two full sleeves talking about what a "bad-ass" they are in the kitchen and end with Alex Guarnaschelli and Scott Conant sending them home in the first round for chewy pasta and a soupy risotto.   

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3556 on: May 21, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
Does a person's appearance need to be chosen to make a statement? Seems strange to me to assume a person didn't get tattoos and color their hair just because.... they like tattoos and colored hair.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3557 on: May 21, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »
Yea. I know a lot of people with tattoos and weird hair and piercings and none of them are trying to make any kind of big statement. They just like it and think it suits their personality.

To them, having the tattoos or hair or piercings is no different than me having a beard or a tattoo on my lower back that says "Property of Stadler." I just like it and it suits me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3558 on: May 21, 2020, 01:56:36 PM »
To them, having the tattoos or hair or piercings is no different than me having a beard or a tattoo on my lower back that says "Property of Stadler." I just like it and it suits me.

*quietly updates DTFMembers.txt*

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3559 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:28 PM »

A Gramp Stamp!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: May 21, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »
Does a person's appearance need to be chosen to make a statement? Seems strange to me to assume a person didn't get tattoos and color their hair just because.... they like tattoos and colored hair.

I think you see both, sometimes people do things to make statements, many times people do things because they enjoy them.  I'm not willing to say someone with a body of tats is trying to make a statement just because of the tats, but sometimes if you get to know someone, you start to realize they DO do things such as get tats to make a statement.  To each their own.

I'm not a tattoo person, and I think that sort of statement counter culture doesn't really exist in regards to tattoos anymore, but it once did. 

Also, the tear drop tattoo, if that's not about making a statement, I'm not sure what is  :lol I can't say anyone would think that looks good or is the best for their look.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3561 on: May 21, 2020, 04:12:07 PM »
Anyone see the first episode of this season of Curb Your Enthusiasm? 

But seriously, aren't the two (a "statement" and "I like it") kind of intertwined?   Even if subconscious.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:46:34 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3562 on: May 21, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »
I've never seen any episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3563 on: May 21, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
I've never seen any episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

My wife has been known to call me "Larry" at times.  In one scene of that episode, he was walking down the street talking to his friend and they walked by a guy taking a selfie with a selfie stick.  As he walked by he just grabbed the selfie stick and broke it in two and handed it back.  My wife just looked at me with that look.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3564 on: May 21, 2020, 04:52:54 PM »
While I don't know the show, I definitely know the look. :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3565 on: May 21, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »

But seriously, aren't the two (a "statement" and "I like it") kind of intertwined?   Even if subconscious.

Only so much as any hair cut or fashion decision is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3566 on: May 21, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »

Maybe? But I feel like in general the statement is limited to 'I like it.' I certainly don't buy that everyone who gets a tattoo is doing it a fuck you to the man (the man who in this case is society). Although maybe there's something to it if they are? I've never seen someone getting upset about people who don't have tattoos.

And as a side note, is getting a tattoo really a sign of conformity anyway? It seems like that's really only true if you say every tattoo is equivalent to every other tattoo. Which seems silly.

But besides all that, it's just a style thing. Some people like the style. I don't see the appeal, personally, but whatever.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3567 on: May 21, 2020, 11:57:56 PM »
I think most people that have at least some self respect automatically make a statement with how they look.  I think it's just largely human nature.  We dress/groom to help ourselves feel good about ourselves and to pass on a certain persona to those we run into in the world.  And that statement changes with the types of people we purposefully interact with.  Such as a date or a job interview.  Or a family/high school reunion.

It doesn't have to be a big statement to still be a statement.  And I don't think making a statement is a bad thing.

I purposefully wear a large beard.  It makes me look very intimidating.  Which is useful when I used to walk home from work in the middle of the night in my inner city.  Because of my size and beard, knew nobody would try to mess with me, which translates to me getting home safely to my family.

Also, my beard has given me a lot of confidence in myself and GREATLY helped me move up the pecking order where I work.  So I would definitely consider it a statement.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3568 on: May 22, 2020, 04:52:52 AM »
I just don't know why people complain about what others do with their bodies. If you're not into dyed hair or neat hairstyles or tattoos that's cool but once you start being judgmental and assuming of why that person is doing what they're doing that's just silly to me, it doesn't affect you at all, you're no better than them for choosing to not have tattoos. Big grumpy dad energy from that kind of attitude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: May 22, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »
No judgment at all from me; more observation than anything else.   Remember - well, you don't know this (yet) - but I'm the guy that as often as not wears a blue oxford (albeit worn and frayed) to metal concerts.  I wear it either totally unbuttoned, or just the last couple with a t-shirt underneath.  It's just comfortable, in my opinion it looks better on me than a tight t-shirt, and I don't care that I stick out like a sore thumb.  While it may only be 2 or 3%, there's a little statement there; a little "yeah, I don't wear the uniform the rest of the time, I'm not going to now; this is REALLY not the norm, at least here."   I just think it's funny - as in funny "haha" - that there's a perception that tats are counter cultural, when in certain circles it's far more the norm than, say, me.  It's a uniform like anything else that is used to establish one's place in the firmament.

(Not generally the norm, though; rough math says less than half the population has a piercing - including ears - and something like 25% have tattoos).