Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309881 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3115 on: December 29, 2019, 03:22:41 AM »
I'm with Tim, fuck Haken.  I've tried and tried and tried, but I just don't understand the hype.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3116 on: December 29, 2019, 05:47:25 AM »
I'm with Tim, fuck Haken.  I've tried and tried and tried, but I just don't understand the hype.

:hifive:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3117 on: December 29, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3118 on: December 29, 2019, 06:44:38 AM »
I can't get into the band, so fuck them? That's a pretty strong stance on the matter tbh
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3119 on: December 29, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »
I need a "suck it" emoji.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3120 on: December 29, 2019, 07:40:21 AM »
Can't blame me.  I started one and didn't realize someone was gonna start another poll on them in the same day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3121 on: December 29, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
I'm with Tim on this too.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3122 on: December 29, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
This and the General Chat threads are also Haken threads now :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3123 on: December 29, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
Dammit Jay!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3124 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
I wanted to comment on it, but it didn't quite rise to "mildly irritating" levels for me, which basically left me the chat thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3125 on: December 29, 2019, 01:18:24 PM »
Welcome to Dream T[haken]eater Forums!  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3126 on: December 29, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
I can't get into the band, so fuck them? That's a pretty strong stance on the matter tbh

Yes fuck them.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3127 on: December 29, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »
Things I find irritating:

Trumpy Bear commercials.  W in T goddamn F.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3128 on: December 29, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »
I don't know how to describe it, but the ubiquitous "open-mouth, shocked-expression image" people use as thumbnails for their YouTube videos.

Seriously, just look at the thumbnails for these channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBvxD7U7GdUio_6OmaqZYlQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttRw8vipuWy9OEXV0-KlyA/videos

I know they are all trying to convey the "we are so wild and crazy, you won't believe what we did in this video!" vibe, but I find it irritating.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3129 on: December 29, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
It appeals to children and absolute morons because it's supposed to imply that the video is exciting. That template is designed specifically to get clicks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3130 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
I don't know how to describe it, but the ubiquitous "open-mouth, shocked-expression image" people use as thumbnails for their YouTube videos.

I know they are all trying to convey the "we are so wild and crazy, you won't believe what we did in this video!" vibe, but I find it irritating.

But they're all cheesy and videos meant for that audience. I see that and don't even bother with it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: December 29, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
My daughter watches those channels a,d since she uses my tablet, I see those all the time on my YT feed. That face just makes me wanna rage.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3132 on: December 29, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
Those thumbnails are like the WildRanger threads of YouTube, just clickbait.

I can see why they would get annoying though, some of my favorite YouTubers do it and it just makes me go "Why? You're content is great without those thumbnails"
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3133 on: December 29, 2019, 09:45:30 PM »

I'm not sure why, but that reminds me of a skit on SNL back in the Kevin Nealon/Dennis Miller/Phil Harmann years called "The Nude House of Wacky People."  "YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGHT THE BEAR!!"  https://vimeo.com/38130529
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3134 on: December 31, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
When people host parties/gatherings and don't have non-alcoholic beverage options for adults. This always seems to happen to me:

Host "I have wine and beer, and juice boxes for the kids."
Me "Do you have anything non-alcoholic?"
Host "Um... you can have some water?"

There is NO WAY wine is better than Pepsi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs&feature=youtu.be&t=47

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3135 on: December 31, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
When people host parties/gatherings and don't have non-alcoholic beverage options for adults. This always seems to happen to me:

I feel you (though I'm good with water). But I have the same issue as a vegetarian.

Host: Would you like some (I dunno whatever meat stuff they have)
Me: Do you have anything vegetarian or without meat?
Host: Ummm we have some carrots I think?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3136 on: December 31, 2019, 08:54:10 PM »
I waffle on that (mmm... waffles...) Aren't you just saying "I don't enjoy what you prepared, can I have something else?'"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3137 on: December 31, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »
I think if you invite a friend that you know has gluten free or vegan (not sure what the word is..) issues, then you should take that in mind when you prepare the spread. But if a host doesn't know, or a random person shows up, I don't think you have to make something "just in case">
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3138 on: January 01, 2020, 06:18:05 AM »

I feel you (though I'm good with water). But I have the same issue as a vegetarian.

Host: Would you like some (I dunno whatever meat stuff they have)
Me: Do you have anything vegetarian or without meat?
Host: Ummm we have some carrots I think?

This is why I make a point of never inviting vegetarians and sober people to parties.

Yet, if either of you found yourself at my home you would have delicious options.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3139 on: January 01, 2020, 09:08:07 AM »

I knew what that link was going to be before I even clicked it. :lol

Regarding your issue, I think some have it ingrained in their heads that all adults drink booze at a party, which is unfortunate.  I went to a friend's shindig last night and I think I was the only one of the 15 people (all adults) who didn't drink booze. I am not a recovering alcoholic or anything; I just simply choose to rarely drink booze anymore (plus I eventually had a 20-minute drive home).  Fortunately, his fridge is always loaded with 7UP, so I was good.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3140 on: January 01, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
Just got to be mindful of who you invite. Regardless, having some soda seems a standard for a party. I mean that's a mixer for booze!  ;)

I dont think anyone in my circle of friends is a vegetarian, I'll admit, if I am hosting, I may not even think of that unless it was made known to me a vegetarian was coming.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3141 on: January 01, 2020, 01:52:30 PM »
I think if you invite a friend that you know has gluten free or vegan (not sure what the word is..) issues, then you should take that in mind when you prepare the spread. But if a host doesn't know, or a random person shows up, I don't think you have to make something "just in case">

Agree.  I don't imagine a lot of vegantarians have a couple steaks handy "just in case."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3142 on: January 01, 2020, 02:23:06 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't bring a dish of their own. You get something you know for sure you can eat and get others to enjoy something new.

I don't expect a host to prepare specifically, it's their party and you're their guest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3143 on: January 01, 2020, 02:48:06 PM »

Agree.  I don't imagine a lot of vegantarians have a couple steaks handy "just in case."

Well that is totally different. Vegetarians can’t eat meat. Omnivores can eat whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3144 on: January 01, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
I ran into that a couple of times when I was a vegetarian. Tbh the social aspect is at least half of why I switched back. Maybe your universe is full of male friends who will try the vegan cheese dip and family who will have a meat replacement for a holiday, but mine isn't and eating side dishes gets lonely after a while. This is why I always ask my friends if they've had some dietary changes since coming over for dinner last time, or I just ask them if they're up for the booze I intend to buy and what I'm making and adjust accordingly. It's easier to do that than try to remember everyone's likes and dislikes and allergies, and it's perceived as infinitely more polite than actually being an attentive friend and remembering what info they offered you about they like or dislike  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3145 on: January 01, 2020, 04:17:10 PM »
Well that is totally different. Vegetarians can’t eat meat. Omnivores can eat whatever.

Vegetarians can eat whatever they want, they are just choosing not to eat meat. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3146 on: January 01, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »

Lettuce think about that for a minute.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3147 on: January 01, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »

Took the words out of my mouth.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: January 01, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
Ever since I hit POST I've been wanting to come back to what I said. It wasn't meant to sound as harsh as it did, and certainly not intended to be a shot at Adami.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3149 on: January 01, 2020, 04:49:29 PM »
Ever since I hit POST I've been wanting to come back to what I said. It wasn't meant to sound as harsh as it did, and certainly not intended to be a shot at Adami.

Agree, but you were still correct.  Except for a minority, it's a choice -- just as eating meat is a choice.