Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309750 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3080 on: December 09, 2019, 08:34:05 AM »
I've never seen a car like that, in person.

How many are there that you've encountered them enough times to annoy you?

You sure someone isn't just stalking you?

I actually see them a lot (three bars is excessive, but two isn't uncommon) when visiting my parents' house. They live out in the boonies on old farmland. Guys out there have these on all their trucks. There are also a few surrounding towns (Goshen, Torrington, and Thomaston) where you'll find these on things like family sedans in addition to trucks.

Chino is right; that's not an uncommon sight around here (I get it a lot too, with the farm communities to either side of me:  Granby, Suffield, Somers, Stafford Springs)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3081 on: December 09, 2019, 11:40:06 AM »
My friend has those lights on his truck, for a real need when he uses that truck to plow... but he mostly uses it to piss people off on the highway.  I'll admit to laughing my ass off at one time using it on someone who cut him off, but the reality it's just a troll tool and pretty douchey in real life to be doing that on the highway.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3082 on: December 10, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »
Maybe I don't understand it but people who make a big deal about their name/nick name.

I work in operations and part my job is minor IT stuff like creating computer account and email address for new employees. One of our employees' name is Jonathan. I created his email before his start date to make sure he would be good to go on his first day of work (as I do with every new employee). He then started complaining and bitching because he prefers to go by Jay or J. (his email address was only showing the J. but his profile would show his full name) and for me to update his information, including our website and his business card which his manager asked me to order before his start date.

My thing is that if your full name bothers you so much and you prefer the abbreviated version, go and legally change your name or suck it up. No everyone can assume what your preference is.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3083 on: December 10, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
Maybe I don't understand it but people who make a big deal about their name/nick name.

I work in operations and part my job is minor IT stuff like creating computer account and email address for new employees. One of our employees' name is Jonathan. I created his email before his start date to make sure he would be good to go on his first day of work (as I do with every new employee). He then started complaining and bitching because he prefers to go by Jay or J. (his email address was only showing the J. but his profile would show his full name) and for me to update his information, including our website and his business card which his manager asked me to order before his start date.

My thing is that if your full name bothers you so much and you prefer the abbreviated version, go and legally change your name or suck it up. No everyone can assume what your preference is.

I understand the guy's frustration, though. My name is Michael. The only people I don't mind calling me Michael are my parents and my bosses. Otherwise I like "Mike" or "MJ" - thankfully people often ask what I prefer to go by. I have a friend who insists on calling me Michael and I hate it. Maybe he doesn't have to legally change his name but if he's being rude he could at least be a little nicer about it :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: December 10, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »
So, just asking, but what's the difference between "Jonathan" asking to be called "J", and a transgender person being asked to be called "him" or "them"?   

I'm asking, not judging; I know where I fall on this, I'm just curious if we're consistent.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3085 on: December 10, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »
So, just asking, but what's the difference between "Jonathan" asking to be called "J", and a transgender person being asked to be called "him" or "them"?   

I'm asking, not judging; I know where I fall on this, I'm just curious if we're consistent.

It's different. It'd like the difference between calling a Lutheran a Christian and calling a Muslim a Christian.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3086 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:53 PM »

It's different. It'd like the difference between calling a Lutheran a Christian and calling a Muslim a Christian.

I don't see the difference; at the end of the day, it's down to what the Lutheran or Muslim wants to be called. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3087 on: December 10, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »

I don't see the difference; at the end of the day, it's down to what the Lutheran or Muslim wants to be called.

Not really, it's about identity. But you might just see this differently. So it's all good. You seem like you're respectful anyway, so I'm cool with you seeing it how you do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3088 on: December 10, 2019, 01:19:02 PM »
I don't think there is a difference as it all falls under "refer to me as", and I don't have an issue if you have a preference. My issue came with the overreaction.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

« Reply #3089 on: December 10, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
I don't think there is a difference as it all falls under "refer to me as", and I don't have an issue if you have a preference. My issue came with the overreaction.

There’s a difference between refer to me as and recognize me as.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3090 on: December 10, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
This reminds of the Seinfeld episode with the maestro where Jerry jokingly insisted that Elaine call him "Jerry The Great." :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3091 on: December 10, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »

I understand the guy's frustration, though. My name is Michael. The only people I don't mind calling me Michael are my parents and my bosses. Otherwise I like "Mike" or "MJ" - thankfully people often ask what I prefer to go by. I have a friend who insists on calling me Michael and I hate it. Maybe he doesn't have to legally change his name but if he's being rude he could at least be a little nicer about it :)

Good to know, Michael.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3092 on: December 10, 2019, 02:05:03 PM »

Good to know, Michael.

Bike racks at 3 tomorrow, Timothy. Bring extra lunch money.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3093 on: December 10, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3094 on: December 10, 2019, 03:20:45 PM »
I watched that cycle through about 5 times just hoping against hope that the loop would break, and one of them would roundhouse kick the other one in the head.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3095 on: December 10, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3096 on: December 10, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »
I watched that cycle through about 5 times

It's strangley addicting. :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3097 on: December 12, 2019, 02:41:39 AM »

If I had to guess, I'd assume that "J" doesn't get crippling gender dysphoria upon being called the wrong name. :P

Though maybe they do. I guess there's no way to tell whether or not they're a closeted trans person. :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3098 on: December 12, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »
This is going to be a weird one.... but I can't find my cutting board.   

I have a big, thick butchers block that I always keep on the top of my stove. I did a deep clean of my kitchen last week, and I can't for the life of me find the cutting board. It's not some rinky dink thing either. It's 20lb hunk of wood that requires two hands to move. It's just gone. I've torn my kitchen and adjacent rooms apart and I swear that thing is no longer in my house. I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow. What the hell am I going to slice it on?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:13:43 PM by Chino »

Offline Adami

« Reply #3099 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
This is going to be a weird one.... but I can't find my cutting board.   

I have a big, thick butchers block that I always keep on the top of my stove. I did a deep clean of my kitchen last week, and I can't for the life of me find the cutting board. It's not some rinky dink thing either. It's 20 hunk of wood that requires two hands to move. It's just gone. I've torn my kitchen and adjacent rooms apart and I swear that thing is no longer in my house. I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow. What the hell am I going to slice it on?

1) Do you live with anyone?
2) Do you own a fire place?

If the answer to both of those is yes.....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3100 on: December 12, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »
 :lol funny cause I literally just "decommed' my old wooden cutting board and put it in my pile to throw into my next fire. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3101 on: December 13, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
Found it.  You're welcome.

(Just bustin' balls.)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3102 on: December 20, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
When you tell someone you're available for a meeting between 9-10:30 AM, so they schedule the meeting at 10:30 AM. Ummm... I said I was available until 10:30, not starting at 10:30.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: December 20, 2019, 01:17:32 PM »
When you tell someone you're available for a meeting between 9-10:30 AM, so they schedule the meeting at 10:30 AM. Ummm... I said I was available until 10:30, not starting at 10:30.

That happens to me A LOT.   "I'm available any time except between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm".  Cue meeting invite for 1:00 pm. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3104 on: December 20, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »
Long standing threads that are amusing to read are locked because one or two people couldn't stop their bickering long enough to take it to PM.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3105 on: December 20, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
Long standing threads that are amusing to read are locked because one or two people couldn't stop their bickering long enough to take it to PM.

Ditto.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3106 on: December 21, 2019, 08:59:59 AM »
I had NOTHING to do with it!!!!!   :) :) :)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3107 on: December 28, 2019, 09:19:34 AM »
Whenever my one friend group does a game night there always seems to be a consensus to play those lowbrow adult card games like Can of Squirms and Never Have I Ever. I can't be the only one who loathes those games because the "fun" is derived from mortally embarrassing your friends and yourself. Now I'm a fan of self deprecating humor to a point but these games can be a bit much.

Thankfully we've been moving on to much better options like Telestrations and similar.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: December 28, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
Like Cards Against Humanity, the game was fun the first time I played it but it gets old quickly IMO.  Luckily I haven't seen anyone pull it out for awhile and kill a party.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3109 on: December 28, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
I don't mind Cards as much although it made me realize that my sense if humor doesn't line up quite with some of my other friends. I get the flattest faces whenever I'm a judge since most of the rest of the group seems to find what I would consider the more obvious but boring pairings as the funnier ones. At the end of the day yeah it's forgettable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3110 on: December 28, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
Why so fucking many Haken threads?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3111 on: December 28, 2019, 07:58:12 PM »
Because they are great.

Though I agree a bit with you Tim. The first 2 albums by them is hit or miss with me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3112 on: December 28, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
I am not discussing. I am complaining. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3113 on: December 28, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
 :lol

Yeah, but you complain about everything 

Oy vey
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3114 on: December 28, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »