Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309911 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3010 on: November 18, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »
When you try and DYI some stuff in your house and it all goes to shit.

Do Youself It?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3011 on: November 18, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »
When you try and DYI some stuff in your house and it all goes to shit.

Do Youself It?

Direct (Your) Input :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3012 on: November 19, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
God I hate people who power trip. I missed work on Nov 1st. Stayed home due to a fire burning and was just on the other side of the evacuation line. Wasn't going let myself wind up 2 hours away and then get told I need to evacuate my pets. My boss okay'd it.

Well I have 8 hours of sick time left... And was going to put it towards that. My boss has been dealing with family issues or something and had been MIA. I shot him a message asking if I could use my sick time for that and didn't get a response. Since payroll is being done tomorrow (and I'm not involved in it any more...), I sent a request to our account manager who handles all of that shit for the normal employees, asking for a form to fill out. I wasn't asking her permission. It needs to be approved by the owner(s) of the company.

Her response : "what do you mean use your sick time?" and gave me shit. I had to reiterate then I've been trying to get hold of the owner for a few days, but since this is not an emergency, I wanted to have the request form filled out and ready for when payroll is done. It's like bitch please, I know the drill, and I know it's a gray area on whether or not I should be allowed to use a sick time.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3013 on: November 20, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
With the holidays coming up and patients bringing in goodies to the office, boxes of chocolates that don’t provide a damn key for what kind you’re looking at. This isn’t Forrest Gump, dammit. If I want one filled with caramel, I don’t want to have to guess if it’s got coconut or cherry instead.

Boxes of See’s candies are easily the most popular and worst offenders we get for this. By far.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3014 on: November 20, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
Dibs on the coconut ones... :)

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3015 on: November 20, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
They’re all yours, good man. All yours.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3016 on: November 20, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »
Dibs on the coconut ones... :)

Not if I get there first!

But yeah, I agree with Snow Dog about this.  Also, fruit and chocolate don't mix.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: November 20, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
I like the surprise personally, I feel like it comes with the territory on these boxed chocolates.  But I get the irritating part of this when you want something specific and don't want to have to find it by taste testing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3018 on: November 20, 2019, 12:22:18 PM »
Reality TV, and the mentality that surrounds it.

I'm watching Dancing With The Stars (blow me; it's entertaining, and I find the dancing to be impressive).  We're down to five celebrities:  James Van Der Beek (actor), Ally Brooke (from the band "Fifth Harmony"), Lauren Alaina (country singer), Kel Mitchell (actor/comedian), and Hannah Brown (from the Batchelor).

So, first off, the first four have discernable, marketable talents.  All are noted in their field.   The last?  Uh, not sure what the talent is.   Lauren Alaina broke four ribs and was in serious pain.   She's still dancing.  Didn't say a word about it (Tom Bergeron, America's Host, mentioned it).   James Van Der Beek - shockingly, and heart-breakingly - announced that two nights before that his wife had a mis-carriage and lost their child.   He's still dancing.  The entire audience - including the judges and the announcers (and me) - was crying the entire time, but he said that he talked with his wife, and part of her healing was that he finish what he started without drama, without fanfare.   

That episode was a "Judge's Choice", where one of the judges goes to each contestant and asks them to redo a previous dance.  One of the judges (Carrie Ann Inaba) went to Hannah Brown and asked her to redo a dance for reasons x, y, z.   Brown burst into tears, saying "don't touch me" when Inaba went for a hug, and saying reality TV nonsense like "I don't find my confidence with you" (what does that even mean?).   Then during the post-dance interviews she's all drama queen with "I was going through some issues and some of the things you said were triggering for me" but "it's really about the journey for me" and demanding a redo on the hug from the judge... and puked into my sneakers.

At the end of the episode, James and Ally found themselves in the bottom two, at which point the judges decide who to keep and who to eliminate.   Ally did NOT belong there; she had the highest judges scores of the night, including two perfect dances.  They rightfully kept Ally, and when the announcement was made, Ally was beside herself, crying, saying "no no, please.  Keep James" and offering to James to withdraw so he could stay (it sounds really hokie, but it was very sincere, if you saw it).   And he hugged her and said something to the effect of you earned it, you deserve it, let me go home to my wife.

And I'm just... no talking about being "triggered", no talking about the "journey"... he just manned up, did what he was supposed to do to the best of his ability, accepted his consequences and went back, head held high, to be with his family.  I've rarely been more impressed with a celeb like that, and contrast with Hannah Brown, who, boo-hoo, had her feelings hurt because the judges weren't fawning over her telling her how great she is like the vacuous douchebags on the Bachelor.   Every word out of her mouth is some shallow reality TV trope about "finding herself" and "being authentic" (the irony is deafening), and it's just... so ridiculous (or, well, mildly irritating).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3019 on: November 20, 2019, 12:36:24 PM »
I just wasted 2 minutes of my life reading that Stads. :lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:53:39 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3020 on: November 20, 2019, 12:44:16 PM »

I'm watching Dancing With The Stars (blow me; it's entertaining, and I find the dancing to be impressive).  We're down to five celebrities:  James Van Der Beek (actor), Ally Brooke (from the band "Fifth Harmony"), Lauren Alaina (country singer), Kel Mitchell (actor/comedian), and Hannah Brown (from the Batchelor).

I thought you said there were celebrities.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: November 20, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »
The fact dancing with the stars still calls itself that when they cant find any real celebrities to be on the show anymore is mildly irritating although Ive never watched but I can imagine that being irritating to those that do.  Anyway... sounds like Stads is just irritated at himself for liking a reality tv show.

I just waisted 2 minutes of my life reading that Stads. :lol

:rollin

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3022 on: November 20, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
Just Stad's mere mention of "The Bachelor(ette)" has me triggered to irritation.  Worst show ever.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: November 20, 2019, 02:19:31 PM »

I thought you said there were celebrities.

I say that exact sentence - to the LETTER - to my wife at the start of each season.  "Celebrity" is a loose term, but at least I'll give some creedance to a person with SOME discernable talent, like a Hines Ward, or James Van Der Beek.   Hannah Brown?  Nothing but her smile (and for me, not even that).

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: November 20, 2019, 03:22:05 PM »

:lol 

My wife watches Making the Team (the big D cheer-leading team) and has since it's inception; she normally watches it when I'm doing something else...  however, I have watched it with her several times and I'm always baffled by the "judges", for lack of a better term, and the way that they judge the physical attributes of the potential cheerleaders.  From what I've seen, they're all talented and attractive (not unattractive  :rollin)... do the judges make something up so that a few can be cut?

My wife likes to dance so I understand why she likes to watch it, I guess I just don't get some of the criteria.  Maybe Jones is behind the scenes secretly pulling the strings based on which ones pull his strings...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3025 on: November 20, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
Reality stars who become famous simply for being famous remind me of these social media influencers, which I recently discovered is a thing.  Social media influencer??  Good grief.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: November 20, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »
Reality stars who become famous simply for being famous remind me of these social media influencers, which I recently discovered is a thing.  Social media influencer??  Good grief.

What I find irritating is when I see a news article come up because something happened to a social media influencer.  I'm not sure how this could be news because someone with 20k followers on instagram is not a celebrity. 

Also, the family friend that married the Situation last year.  She has a huge following on instagram now.  And it went from being personal to pushing products.  It's really uninteresting and I'm worried for the people who actually follow and buy products from nobodies on instagram. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3027 on: November 20, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »

What I find irritating is when I see a news article come up because something happened to a social media influencer.  I'm not sure how this could be news because someone with 20k followers on instagram is not a celebrity. 

Also, the family friend that married the Situation last year.  She has a huge following on instagram now.  And it went from being personal to pushing products.  It's really uninteresting and I'm worried for the people who actually follow and buy products from nobodies on instagram.

There are a lot of dummies out there, so I am sure there is a lot of money to be made in being a "social media influencer," but it just seems so seamy and sordid.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3028 on: November 20, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »
Also, the family friend that married the Situation last year.  She has a huge following on instagram now.

Ummm...what does "married the Situation" (capital "s" and "the"???) mean?

My wife used to watch Dancing with the [Alleged] Stars.  She stopped a few years ago.  I'm happy.  I only recognized one of the names that Stadler mentioned.

I don't know how many folks outside of Southern California are familiar with the Petros & Money sports talk radio show.  Petros does a segment called "The Bachelor(ette) Report," which basically just makes fun of those people.  It's typically hilarious.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: November 20, 2019, 04:30:08 PM »
Also, the family friend that married the Situation last year.  She has a huge following on instagram now.

Ummm...what does "married the Situation" (capital "s" and "the"???) mean?

You'd have to watch reality TV to know  :rollin which is a good thing in this case, but you can google "the situation" and see who I'm talking about

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3030 on: November 20, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
On an unrelated subject:

I find it mildly irritating when commercials advertise that "You could save up to X%, or more!!"

So...basically...I may or may not save anything and, if I do save anything, the amount is impossible to predict.  Gotcha.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3031 on: November 20, 2019, 06:18:33 PM »
On an unrelated subject:

I find it mildly irritating when commercials advertise that "You could save up to X%, or more!!"

So...basically...I may or may not save anything and, if I do save anything, the amount is impossible to predict.  Gotcha.

“Use this coupon to save up to 25%”

*uses coupon and only 5% discount.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: November 20, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
Doesn't Costco send out coupons that say how much you will save (in dollars) when buying a product at one of their warehouses, without saying what the actual price of the product is?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3033 on: November 20, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
This thread makes me glad I don't watch reality tv. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: November 21, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »
On an unrelated subject:

I always tell my wife: "But I can guarantee you'll save 100% by not buying the product in the first place!"   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: November 21, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
She must love hearing that  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3036 on: November 21, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »
On an unrelated subject:

I always tell my wife: "But I can guarantee you'll save 100% by not buying the product in the first place!"

God, I'd be a millionaire if I got a nickel for every time I said something like this to my wife.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Harmony

« Reply #3037 on: November 21, 2019, 08:37:23 AM »

That literally made coffee snort out my nose which hurts like fuck!   :lol

Stadler, whatever you do, DON'T watch a horrible show called Vanderpump Rules.  One of my kids watches this and it's sort of like driving by a horrible car accident.  You don't want to watch it, but it's SO horrific that you find yourself looking over at it and then immediately wanting to puke up dinner.  It's everything you hate about DWTS but with bratty, obnoxious, narcissistic, young "adults" working at a bar/restaurant in West Hollywood.

I weep for America.   :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3038 on: November 21, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »
On an unrelated subject:

I want to buy this short and wear it when I go shopping with my wife.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6QB8VH

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »
On an unrelated subject:

God, I'd be a millionaire if I got a nickel for every time I said something like this to my wife.  LOL

God, I'd be a millionaire if I got a nickel for every scowl or dirty look I got every time I said something like this to my wife.  LOL

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3040 on: November 21, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
On an unrelated subject:

My husband will pay anything if he is told he will save money... He just bought something extra for 6 dollars on Amazon to guarantee same day shipping which then didn't show up same day...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3041 on: November 22, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
Reviewers who love everything, or nearly everything. Games, books, TV, movies, music, doesn't matter. I don't trust people who just adore most everything that gets released. I like people who are a bit harder to please. I have one friend who reviews music but it's hard to take any of the reviews seriously when he loves almost every album he reviews, and part of me wonder if that's just to schmooze up to the band members he's friends with on social media. I dunno. Especially when we disagree so strongly on an album by a band we're both massive fans of, it's just weird  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3042 on: November 22, 2019, 08:15:28 AM »
Speaking of reviewers, I read an article yesterday about this woman who buys products on amazon, rates the item 5-stars and then gets reimbursed by the company, but she gets to keep the product.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nicolenguyen/her-amazon-purchases-are-real-the-reviews-are-fake

I personally don't follow high-rated reviews anymore (for music, movies or items). I usually read the low ratings to see what's not to like and if it's just people being picky.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: November 22, 2019, 10:43:58 AM »
Yeah but you have to read the reviews.  There's nothing worse than the dumb ass that buys Deep Purple's new record then gives it one star because "there's no Ritchie Blackmore on there".   Or the jack hole that buys the product and because it doesn't do EXACTLY what he wants it to do EXACTLY the same way HE expects it to be done and blames the manufacturer for "poor product design".   

I hate reviewers almost as much as I hate kid actors.

Online Harmony

« Reply #3044 on: November 22, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
At my last annual exam in February, my MD gave me my yearly refill for Xanax via written prescription.  I get 10 pills at the lowest dose that can be prescribed.  I have travel anxiety and use them for this purpose.  I didn't fill it right away because I still had about 5 left over from 2018.  Fast forward to November, and since I'm traveling for the holidays, I decide it's time to get this filled.

Come to find out the controlled substances laws have changed now and my prescription is invalid because it is 6 months old.  I'm told in order to get it filled I need to make an appointment with the doctor who is booked up until January.   :facepalm:

After some emails back and forth, they finally agree to fill it and call it in.  And while I get that people can and do abuse Xanax, isn't it obvious from the fact that I didn't fill the script for 9 months proof enough that I'm not likely abusing this drug?

Does it really need to precipitate a doctor's visit just to get what was already given to me? 

FFS
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad