Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309667 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2975 on: November 04, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
Yea, I agree with that too.  You shouldn't have to rely on the tech in your car to drive it safely, but also, that tech makes things safer.  It's funny how I've often done two looks to my blind spot on the right side to compensate not having my camera do it for me.  Granted, I grew up without that tech so I'm just going off of a year of being used to this new thing.  If you grew up with this tech, it would be a lot hard to drive without it.  I'm pretty sure rear view cameras are a required standard in new cars in the US.  They should make it a requirement (if it isn't already) for your drivers test to not be able to use any tech besides an auto transmission and power steering.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2976 on: November 04, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »
I'm not sure whats the best, but pulling in seems much easier to me, especially with having back up cameras now.  Sure having the same camera makes it easier to back in as well, but that's still a trickier task to back into a confined space vs backing out into an open road.  I'm not sure I have much of an opinion here, but I almost always end up pulling in and I hope I can just drive though if possible on exit.

For me:  pulling into and out of a parking space are equally easy; backing out of most parking spaces is pretty easy, but backing into a parking space is not at all easy.

You have a pretty good way of telling that someone is pulling out from a spot, namely that their car is moving.

It's not as easy as that.  For starters, I have no way of telling if a car pulling out of a spot is about to move, whereas backup lights tell me that someone is about to start backing up.  If the car opposite me has its backup lights on before I shift into reverse, I should wait and look for movement.  If a car is pulling slowly out of a space, it's not that easy.

As far as someone backing into a space, I can't recall a single instance in which someone desiring to do that has actually signaled.  It's hard enough to get people to signal turns on the street.  And yeah, at parking lot speeds, I'm not going to be that far back.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: November 04, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
To go back to home tech for a moment, literally just got this message in my group chat with my friends "are the nest servers down" which it doesnt appear to be, but just the idea of questioning that.  I hate relying on other's services to be working for my product to work. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2978 on: November 04, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
Yea, I agree with that too.  You shouldn't have to rely on the tech in your car to drive it safely, but also, that tech makes things safer.  It's funny how I've often done two looks to my blind spot on the right side to compensate not having my camera do it for me.  Granted, I grew up without that tech so I'm just going off of a year of being used to this new thing.  If you grew up with this tech, it would be a lot hard to drive without it.  I'm pretty sure rear view cameras are a required standard in new cars in the US.  They should make it a requirement (if it isn't already) for your drivers test to not be able to use any tech besides an auto transmission and power steering.

We're not arguing.   Using a technology to be safer, knowing you'd still be a measure of safe without it, is one thing.  Completely relying on it and being lost without it is another.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2979 on: November 04, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
Agreed entirely.  Wasn't there talk of a Lexus model doing away with side view mirrors, and going exclusively camera?  Fuck that noise.  My last car, the backup camera would occasionally go on the fritz, so no way I would ever rely exclusively on cameras, beeps, or smart collision avoidance braking type shit.  I always check blind spots, and always have my foot on the ready with the brake. 

Scary thing is, in due time, we might as well rely on all these enhanced features, because the car itself (engine, steering, acceleration/braking) is more software than mechanics these days.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2980 on: November 04, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
I'm going to purchase a truck for the first time in February and I want the camera.  It's more for judging the closeness to the other parked cars.  I've never owned a truck before and since it is much longer I think it's a good tool to have just for that.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »

We're not arguing.   Using a technology to be safer, knowing you'd still be a measure of safe without it, is one thing.  Completely relying on it and being lost without it is another.

Not arguing at all, total agreement, but was trying to lead to this point:

Scary thing is, in due time, we might as well rely on all these enhanced features, because the car itself (engine, steering, acceleration/braking) is more software than mechanics these days.

And the people using it will only know how to use the tech not the old school mirrors and your own damn eyes

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2982 on: November 04, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
I'm going to purchase a truck for the first time in February and I want the camera.  It's more for judging the closeness to the other parked cars.  I've never owned a truck before and since it is much longer I think it's a good tool to have just for that.

If it's a 2018+ model, it's required by law to have a backup camera.   

I never ever felt like I needed/wanted a backup camera. I can get a vehicle around just fine. However, my most recent purchase had a camera in back, and I have to say, it's made getting around my tight parking garage a million times easier.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2983 on: November 04, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
I love back up cameras. My wife's vehicle has one. Mine doesn't. It's a really nice thing to have when I drive hers.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2984 on: November 04, 2019, 03:21:27 PM »
You know what I like even more than the backup camera? The cross traffic detection. If I'm backing out of a space, I get a beep if someone is crossing my path from either direction. That saved me just last week from a fully grown adult bombing through the Costco parking lot riding a carriage like a scooter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: November 04, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
sounds like TAC leaving them as far away as possible from the corral  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: November 04, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2987 on: November 04, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2988 on: November 04, 2019, 09:40:32 PM »
You know what I like even more than the backup camera? The cross traffic detection. If I'm backing out of a space, I get a beep if someone is crossing my path from either direction. That saved me just last week from a fully grown adult bombing through the Costco parking lot riding a carriage like a scooter.

It'll also remind ya when you forget to pickup your cone.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2989 on: November 05, 2019, 05:41:54 AM »

I know its been a while since I've seen him in person... but is that Nick?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2990 on: November 08, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
Daylight Savings Time.  Begone with it already.  My body is still on DST, so I've been awake since 5am.  Can't get up, otherwise the dogs won't get their internal clocks adjusted.  So I just laid in bed for about an hour uselessly.
I personally think they should leave daylight savings time on all the time, rather than getting rid of it, but either way we'd do away with the annoying time changes.

Yeah I know this isn't timely, but whatever.  :P  I'd be fine with lordxizor's suggestion - keep daylight savings time all year.  We have it for most of the year now - sometime in March-November, so let's just keep it all year.  If they're not going to do that however, I absolutely do not want them to get rid of DST.  It's so much nicer having the sunlight longer in the evening.  It's totally worth losing an hour in the spring, and in the fall, I'm not complaining about an extra hour of sleep.  Jingle you can just keep some headphones near your bed and listen to Voyager from 5am to 6am every year until you realize how awesome they are and are chatting with Kattelox and I about your favorite Voyager songs. :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2991 on: November 08, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
Yeah I know this isn't timely, but whatever.  :P  I'd be fine with lordxizor's suggestion - keep daylight savings time all year.  We have it for most of the year now - sometime in March-November, so let's just keep it all year.  If they're not going to do that however, I absolutely do not want them to get rid of DST.  It's so much nicer having the sunlight longer in the evening.  It's totally worth losing an hour in the spring, and in the fall, I'm not complaining about an extra hour of sleep.  Jingle you can just keep some headphones near your bed and listen to Voyager from 5am to 6am every year until you realize how awesome they are and are chatting with Kattelox and I about your favorite Voyager songs. :)

Don't really care whether we stay on standard time all year or DST all year, just get rid of the time change.  I remember when my son was a baby.  He was born in May and was hyper-sensitive to schedule changes.  The the clocks changed when he was 5-6 months old, it was hell on us until he adjusted.  Nowadays, I don't have any problem with the "fall back," but the "spring forward" SUCKS.  I suppose if they want to move the time for the time change to noon on a Friday, that might be ok, but screwing folks out of an hour of sleep, even on a weekend, is just silly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2992 on: November 08, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
But it's done on a Saturday night/Sunday morning.  You don't have to lose an hour of sleep.  Just sleep an hour later the next day.  Or if you work Sundays, go to bed an hour earlier.  Or do it by the half hour.  Just because it's officially done at a certain time doesn't mean you can't work around it sooner if you need to.  People traveling between time zones that are next to each other seem to manage all the time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2993 on: November 08, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
Using a technology to be safer, knowing you'd still be a measure of safe without it, is one thing.  Completely relying on it and being lost without it is another.

Reminds me of that scene in The Mule where Clint Eastwood comes up on that car stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, and the younger dude driving it with his family is at a complete loss because he never learned how to change a tire and there is no reception for him to be able to Google it.  :lol 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2994 on: November 08, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Mildly irritating:  When you are just getting to know someone, and when you text them, they text back but don't address your question.  Like:
-Me:  Ur not a serial killer, right?
-Them:  lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2995 on: November 08, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
When someone whom I barely know sends me a text asking if I am serial killer.

*Nervous Chuckle*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: November 08, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »
Mildly irritating:  When you are just getting to know someone, and when you text them, they text back but don't address your question.  Like:
-Me:  Ur not a serial killer, right?
-Them:  lol

Without knowing context, this could be a nervous laugh  :lol

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2997 on: November 13, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
Why can't they ever cut my bagel/sandwhich all the way through.  >:(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: November 13, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »
After 16 years of coffee bliss Dunkin Donuts in my town has not put sugar in my coffee 3 times in the last 3 months.

I hate to sound like an old bastard but it's always the afternoon shift with the 20 somethings working.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2999 on: November 17, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
Why do they show the owners during an NFL game? Who fucking cares? They look like emperors sitting there.

I wonder if it's in the contract. Knowing the owners, it probably is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3000 on: November 18, 2019, 08:15:07 AM »
Jeff Lurie always looks like he just ate a bag of crap.   

Robert Kraft always looks like he's not sure if he ordered that next Scotch or not. 

He's not the owner, but they kept showing Ryan Pace (the Bears GM) during the game last night, and he looked like he was figuring out how to tell his wife that the vaca to Universal is off this year because he's going to be job-hunting during that week. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3001 on: November 18, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
I don't really mind the owner shots.  They are part of the game (in the grander scale of things) and seeing them reminds you of that.  Now, I don't think they should be showing them when there's something worth showing, but there's plenty of downtime during an NFL game to show them.  Now, those certain games where they just keep going back to them, that's annoying.  We don't see to see Jerry Jones on every 3rd down.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3002 on: November 18, 2019, 02:52:38 PM »
The rampant discontinuing of cosmetic products that encourages hoarding and excessive consumerism.

When it comes to makeup, I mostly have one of each item because they're purely utilitarian to me - except for lipstick. I like having a few different ones, just for variety's sake (right now I have three), and I generally won't buy one unless I've used something else up. That takes about three months of everyday use. However, within those three+ months, shit I'm eyeing often floats in and out of stores, with absolutely no warning that it's "limited edition".

I'm picky when it comes to lipsticks. There's a small range of colors I like to wear, and if every brand has, say, five different formulas of lipsticks with different properties, I might like one formula, and one color in it. Last night I was browsing to find one of the lipsticks I have on my tentative shopping list that fits both criteria, and boom, it's gone. 

Beauty industry, you will not get me. I refuse to pounce on stuff as soon as it's released because I'm afraid you'll discontinue the shiny thingy I like. I don't care if it's the color of the roses from the garden of Eden and formulated with ambrosia. Even if I didn't have the "use one up to purchase one"-rule, it takes me several months to read and compare reviews and see how the reviews "age" (say, maybe one of the reviewers noticed their lipstick changed its consistency within several months, or maybe something even better comes out, or whatever). I don't ~collect lipsticks~. I don't wanna waste money introducing consumable goods in unrecyclable plastic packaging into my makeup bag and my home unless I'm sure that's the best option out of everything on the market, and it takes time to determine that. I'll just go to the few brands who appreciate their returning customers enough to keep a reliable lineup of products for several years.

Shaking my fist really hard at Maybelline right now. "Maybe she's born with it - because that particular color's been out of production for a while" doesn't quite roll off the tongue but it's true.  :censored
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:21:17 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3003 on: November 18, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
This ^ reminds of Lush with their products. You never know what products are going to be axed.

(Not that I am a fan of Lush... but my other half was once obsessed passionate about their products)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3004 on: November 18, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
When you try and DYI some stuff in your house and it all goes to shit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3005 on: November 18, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »

Have you been reading my Face Book posts?  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3006 on: November 18, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »
So...I went and grabbed a burger at Carl's Jr. for lunch today.  There were three booths along one side of the restaurant the one in the corner was occupied by a single person, the middle one was not occupied, and the third one was occupied by a single individual.  The individuals in the two occupied booths were facing in the same direction.  I sat down in the unoccupied booth and sat in the same direction, so none of us were looking at each other.  Shortly after I sat down, the guy in the third booth left and was almost immediately replaced by a new occupant, who sat facing the opposite direction, such that he and I were essentially looking at each other the whole time.

Definitely mildly annoying.  It's like when you're peeing in urinal #1 of 4 and someone walks in and stands at urinal #2 (instead of the socially appropriate #3).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: November 18, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »

Have you been reading my Face Book posts?  :lol
it took my brother and I 3 weeks to build my portable shed for my lawnmower.  I posted it on Facebook.    :lol

It took forever!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3008 on: November 18, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
I built a portable shed, and a week after I finished a damn wind storm blew the fucking thing to pieces over my fence and into my neighbor's yard.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: November 18, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
Was is a metal frame?  I bought 4 50 pound bags of sand that is over the anchors in the ground.