Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309859 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2905 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:13 AM »
Well I care a bit less on work travel as I'm not paying for the food.  It sucks to waste it at times, but it doesn't hurt so much when it doesn't come from my pockets.  I actually almost always get a large meal on my first day so I can stock my hotel fridge with some food just in case I get hungry while in the hotel and not feeling like going out. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2906 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »
I find my long posts to be mildly irritating. My apologies to everyone who has to read them.  :lol

Happy Friday Eve!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2907 on: October 24, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
We struggle with this a LOT.  My stepson is on the spectrum and has some anxiety and he's taken to assuaging that with food.   EVERY visit to the restaurant is always "Can I get the large? Can I get the double?"   We go to a burger place here in town and they just redid their menu; before, the standard order was a "single" and you could upgrade to a double for a small charge.  Now, they flipped it, kind of like Five Guys, where a "cheeseburger" gets you a DOUBLE, unless you specify the single.  WTF.

I don't need a restaurant to plan my meal proportions for me, but they don't have to make it harder, if you know what I mean.

I do plan sometimes to take stuff home - I work out of the house most often, so it's effective for me for lunch - but it's a nightmare with taking a family out.
I've been seeing that down here, as well. Doubles are the default. The problem is that depending on the patty size doubles can throw off the entire balance. Anything more than a half pound screws it all up.

And yeah, travel can be a bitch with that. My problem is that I usually don't get to the hotel until after dinner, and I usually eat late on the road. Plus I always take breakfast someplace nice when I'm on the road, so there's really no point when I want to eat leftovers. I generally plan to only spend about 2 waking hours at a hotel. Pizza or a cold sub is about the only thing that works.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2908 on: October 24, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
(I will sometimes ask for "half portion" or whatever; the problem then is that it screws up the pricing, so I risk paying full price for a half-plate of food.)

Which ends up being the case one way or the other.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2909 on: October 24, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
It seems that Christmas season begins a week before Halloween now. Gets earlier every year. Gotta love a country where capitalism is more holy than Christ.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2910 on: October 24, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
That shit is a bit more than mildly irritating if you ask me. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2911 on: October 24, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
It seems that Christmas season begins a week before Halloween now. Gets earlier every year. Gotta love a country where capitalism is more holy than Christ.

This Wal Mart DC I work at just announced they are working Thanksgiving.  We always had it off before because they did.  Now I'm asking my employees to work half shifts so at least they can eat with their families.

Corporate greed wins again.  Families go fuck off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2912 on: October 24, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »
Cram, I'm sure you can relate to this with all the travel you do, but it's the WORST when you're on the road. Even if you have a refrigerator in your room, it's still relatively useless.  I was in Florida couple weeks ago, and at a good BBQ place.  I got the best plate of pulled pork nachos you could ask for, ate half of it, at best, and had nowhere to go from there.   Just wasteful.  (I will sometimes ask for "half portion" or whatever; the problem then is that it screws up the pricing, so I risk paying full price for a half-plate of food.)

Haha funny, cause I have to warm my leftovers in the Lobby.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2913 on: October 24, 2019, 02:06:09 PM »
Portion sizes are definitely out of control.  I think it was Rich and Charlie's I ate at years ago where I felt like I had eaten quite a bit of the pasta I had ordered, but it looked like I had barely made a dent.  :lol :lol

Dinner salads (the ones that come before a meal, not ones you order as your meal) are like that as well more often than not these days.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2914 on: October 24, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
My lunch was a grain bowl from a salad place in the local mall here.  Could only eat half of it.  Thing was huge, but I saved it and will probably eat it later tonight.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2915 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »

This Wal Mart DC I work at just announced they are working Thanksgiving.  We always had it off before because they did.  Now I'm asking my employees to work half shifts so at least they can eat with their families.

Corporate greed wins again.  Families go fuck off.

Fuck that noise.

There should be no reason for your guys to have to work on Thanksgiving.  I get that there are certain jobs where it's unavoidable (I have had 1  Christmas or Thanksgiving off in the last 7 years), but that's out of necessity, not greed.

You should just give them all the day off anyway and tell the powers you answer to that they all called out sick :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2916 on: October 28, 2019, 11:40:11 AM »
As of today, people in my office have begun putting up Christmas decorations.   

Assholes.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2917 on: October 28, 2019, 12:03:34 PM »
As of today, people in my office have begun putting up Christmas decorations.   

Assholes.

My GF's Dad's GF already has 1 Christmas decoration on their lawn.

Along side their Halloween decorations. I think she's trolling.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2918 on: October 28, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »
With that avatar, I'm not sure how seriously to take Chino's post.

:) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2919 on: October 28, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »
With that avatar, I'm not sure how seriously to take Chino's post.

:)

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: October 28, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
What I find mildly irritating is people who get greatly irritated by when people start putting up Christmas stuff.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2921 on: October 28, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
I know people who put up their decoration as early as September.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2922 on: October 29, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
Something I find more than mildly irritating but not enough to reach 'pissed off' status: organizing my digital music collection and trying to keep it in line with what's in my physical collection and on my hard drives for local storage.

Before I sold my PC, I took out my music drive for safekeeping since all my physical albums are ripped straight to that. But it was also synced with my Spotify, so months later, I'm finally going through band by band and deleting the grayed-out bands on my desktop Spotify app (all the local files that are no longer synced) and replacing them with what's on Spotify. However, then I run into the problem of certain artists not being on Spotify, or sometimes specific albums and especially my favorite demos/B-sides/bonus tracks are nowhere to be found. So now after I go through the hundreds and hundreds of artists cherry picking my favorite songs for my 'favorites' playlist (which is a massive playlist of all my favorites from any and all genres), I then have to hook my old hard drive up to my laptop and sync the remainders to that - after I go through once again to figure out what is not on Spotify.

So while I replace all the local files on my Spotify with what's on the service, I'm keeping a log of everything that's *not* available to sync later. Digital organization is such a PITA, but I can only afford to continue buying records from my most favorite artists, so I'm neck deep in the digital era of music collections and frantically searching for a way to keep my head above water. And this is especially annoying considering some artists on Spotify tend to shuffle their available catalog around for seemingly no good reason (Stratovarius for example only has certain records up there and it seems to change every few months, wtf!) :censored
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2923 on: October 29, 2019, 09:48:41 AM »
Along somewhat similar lines as Katt's post, I find it highly annoying when the music player app on my phone automatically updates.  There are several levels to that.  First off, auto updates for no good reason just annoy me anyway.  If an app works just fine, I don't need it to update and hog more memory for features I'll never use.  But the bigger annoyance is that, for some reason, whenever it updates, it resets the "sort" function and lists all the songs on an album in some random order OTHER THAN album order.  And since the user interface is something they seem to want to change with every update, it always takes me awhile to figure out how to get the songs sorted properly again.  I honestly don't even understand WHY this would possibly happen.  Why would any track order other than album order be the default sort, and why would the sorting feature seemingly be in a completely different place every time the app updates?  Makes no sense to me at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2924 on: October 29, 2019, 09:53:29 AM »
Any multimedia device, software or program that does not have as default and main setting a "play a folder" option is the spawn of Satan and their developers are to be considered inane people who work against the common good of humankind.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: October 29, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »
Maybe you need a new music player app?

I use the basic Play Music that comes on android phones and have never experienced that issue before.  Although I've lately had an issue where I put my mp3s onto my SD card and my phone sees them but the Play Music app does not.  I was able to fix this new issue by first importing the MP3s into windows media player on my PC or into itunes on my work laptop and then onto my phone and the app was able to recognize them.  Weird.  I had not had this issue ever before as drag and drop from my PC to my phone always seemed to just sync up with the app on its own.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: October 29, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »
I rarely listen to music straight from my device, but when I do it's usually Google Play. And I have a lot of issues with phone music management so that's a PITA for me. Hell I still use Winamp on my computers with a custom skin from like 2002 that I refuse to get rid of. I don't like modernity!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: October 29, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »
Along somewhat similar lines as Katt's post, I find it highly annoying when the music player app on my phone automatically updates.  There are several levels to that.  First off, auto updates for no good reason just annoy me anyway.  If an app works just fine, I don't need it to update and hog more memory for features I'll never use.  But the bigger annoyance is that, for some reason, whenever it updates, it resets the "sort" function and lists all the songs on an album in some random order OTHER THAN album order.  And since the user interface is something they seem to want to change with every update, it always takes me awhile to figure out how to get the songs sorted properly again.  I honestly don't even understand WHY this would possibly happen.  Why would any track order other than album order be the default sort, and why would the sorting feature seemingly be in a completely different place every time the app updates?  Makes no sense to me at all.

Would it be an issue with the metadata in the music files themselves? Or is it literally just organizing them in a nonsensical manner? That's such a pain in the neck either way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2928 on: October 29, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »
I dunno.  When I got my last phone, I was having major issues with the default app, so I tried a few others and stuck with the one that seemed to work best.  Now on a newer phone, I've been having issues with it whenever it updates.  It seems to do that with all my albums.  I just tried the Play Music app after reading Cram's post.  Here's what's interesting:  For The Astonishing, it lists the songs alphabetically, and I cannot find an option ANYWHERE in the app to change that.  But for all other albums, the songs are listed in the correct album order.  So that suggests that maybe there is a metadata issue with the TA songs.  But that doesn't explain:  (1) why Pi resorts to different sortings every time there is an album update, or (2) why Play Music's sort option is either hidden where I can't find it or simply doesn't exist.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2929 on: October 29, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
I don't know of any sort options in the app either.  Does make me thing its a meta data issue as in there maybe is no track # in the meta data for that particular album?  I just looked and mine is sorted fine.  Occasionally it mixes both discs together and I have to manually modify the meta data to seperate the discs as two albums. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2930 on: October 29, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
I don't know that I have the specific problems listed here, but word to your mother on the complexity of sorting/managing digital media.   

I might have more music to choose from (arguable whether that's a good thing or not) but in terms of ease and logic, I am in no way, shape or form better now than I was in 1990 with a crate of records/CDs/cassettes. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: October 29, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »
I've spent 3 hours re-organizing my Spotify by re-adding the bands from my local drive and I'm not even done with the Es yet. Ugh.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2932 on: October 29, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »
Any multimedia device, software or program that does not have as default and main setting a "play a folder" option is the spawn of Satan and their developers are to be considered inane people who work against the common good of humankind.

Ha! I used to have that same opinion (and feel like it's been discussed here before). I've since gotten over that as I've now digitized all my music and tagged them property - or at least to my liking.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2933 on: October 29, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
I've spent 3 hours re-organizing my Spotify by re-adding the bands from my local drive and I'm not even done with the Es yet. Ugh.

I can't deal with that.  When my 160gb I-Pod dies I'm fucked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2934 on: October 29, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
Wait a sec... TAC noob question here.... what does Spotify have to do with music you have on your portable device?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: October 29, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
You can link your music to the app.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2936 on: October 29, 2019, 09:03:52 PM »
I get the occasional weird looks from people when I say I never use Spotify.  And then get even weirder looks when I tell them I have 5,000 songs on my iPhone, all of which are HQ mp3's uploaded from my hard drive (almost all of which were either ripped from CD's I own or stuff I bought digitally).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: October 29, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »
Why? I have music stored on my phone. I listen to Spotify when I want (and am able) to stream something I don't own. Why would I link them?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: October 29, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
You can stream your full catalog through the app.  I'm just an old bastard that doesn't want music on my cell.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: October 29, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
Huh, I never would have thought of that. I don't see the benefit for me, so never would have thought of that.