Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308071 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2870 on: October 08, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
well I'm on a diet so that won't make me care more about it  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2871 on: October 08, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
Ants.

Dealing with them at home... now been dealing with them at work. Thought I took care of them, but found a shit ton in out storage closet while cleaning it out. I'm debating on whether I should actually spray or just say 'fuck it', work around them, and leave them for the next suckers who wind up in here.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2872 on: October 08, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
Kars 4 Kids.

I'm sure the organization is wonderful, but whoever wrote and approved that god-forsaken jingle should be shot.

Seriously.

If I had a car to donate, I would find pretty much any other charity solely because of that stupid fucking jingle!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: October 08, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »
Kars 4 Kids.

I'm sure the organization is wonderful, but whoever wrote and approved that god-forsaken jingle should be shot.

Seriously.

If I had a car to donate, I would find pretty much any other charity solely because of that stupid fucking jingle!

Well, Cars for Causes was just ordered to shut down... fraud. They were only donating 5% of proceeds to charities instead of 70%...

So Kars for Kids is the go to now :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2874 on: October 08, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
I believe Kars 4 Kids goes to some Jewish school organization.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: October 08, 2019, 03:11:59 PM »
I believe Kars 4 Kids goes to some Jewish school organization.

I've heard that. Honestly as long as it is going to some form of good cause and not mostly in someone's pockets, I don't care :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2876 on: October 08, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
Kars 4 Kids.

Seriously.

Be thankful you don't have to listen to Jill Merriam commercials.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2877 on: October 08, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »
I don't know about that.  But THIS is the best commercial ever:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOWYe9TgaU
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2878 on: October 08, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
I don't know about that.  But THIS is the best commercial ever:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOWYe9TgaU

Yeah, but this is the "mildly irritating" thread.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: October 08, 2019, 08:33:29 PM »
Kars 4 Kids.

Seriously.

Have they changed their jingle a lot recently? I feel like it was the same for several years, and then I heard a new version, and then a short while later another new version.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2880 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:23 PM »

I love that tune. I burned it to my iPod.  ;)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: October 09, 2019, 05:10:43 AM »
Kars 4 Kids.

Seriously.

I haven't seen that ad but the "we buy any cars" ad on you tube is fucking hell.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2882 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »
Kars 4 Kids.

Seriously.

Have they changed their jingle a lot recently? I feel like it was the same for several years, and then I heard a new version, and then a short while later another new version.

Sometimes it's longer; sometimes it's shorter.  I think there might be different versions with different singers, but it's been the same basic jingle as long as I can remember.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2883 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
New one for today:

My kid is a high school sophomore and a member of the marching band.  Last was a regular booster meeting, and that was followed by a presentation relating to a possible trip to Italy for the 2021 Rome New Year's Parade.  The board meeting started at 7 and finished at 7:40.  We waited until 8 to start the Italy presentation because middle school parents were invited (since their kids will be freshman when the trip happens) and were told it would start at 8.  Ok, that's fine.

The guy starts the presentation with a 4-5 minute video, which was good.  He then launched into a lecture about packing and electrical converters/adapters and passports, which probably lasted 25 minutes.  Finally, the booster president asked him to move onto stuff that actually happens on the trip.  Keep in mind that we haven't actually committed to going on this trip yet, and he's talking about stuff that doesn't need to be discussed until 2-6 months before the trip.  I was about ready to walk out.

On the positive side, if we actually do this trip, it will be absofuckinglutely awesome!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2884 on: October 11, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
Hope I can articulate this well:

I see many folks complain about works of fiction (mostly movies and TV) because a character who is a member of a particular profession (e.g., a lawyer) or who falls into some group (e.g., is gay) exhibits some negative quality.  The complainer says something along the lines of the following:  "Feeling really sad about how my favorite show just depicted my profession.  They should be ashamed for making a [member of said profession] into a [negative qualities] person!"

I'm thinking, "WHAT?!"  They made a particular character have a particular quality, and the complainer extrapolates this as some sort of attempt to depict all persons of that profession/group as having that particular negative quality.  I've see things like this way too often for it to be a fluke, and it just baffles me that people think this way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2885 on: October 12, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
Kars 4 Kids.

Seriously.

Gotta love his lovely vibrato though.  :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2886 on: October 13, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
You know what I can't stand? Owners' Box shots during a football game. Seriously. Who fucking cares?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: October 14, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
Hope I can articulate this well:

I see many folks complain about works of fiction (mostly movies and TV) because a character who is a member of a particular profession (e.g., a lawyer) or who falls into some group (e.g., is gay) exhibits some negative quality.  The complainer says something along the lines of the following:  "Feeling really sad about how my favorite show just depicted my profession.  They should be ashamed for making a [member of said profession] into a [negative qualities] person!"

I'm thinking, "WHAT?!"  They made a particular character have a particular quality, and the complainer extrapolates this as some sort of attempt to depict all persons of that profession/group as having that particular negative quality.  I've see things like this way too often for it to be a fluke, and it just baffles me that people think this way.

Don't even get me started on this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2888 on: October 14, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
Typical lawyer response.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2889 on: October 14, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Kars 4 Kids.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzFxD1j6Ws
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2890 on: October 14, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »
If you're a football player and have hair hanging down to your ass, shouldn't you at least be good?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #2891 on: October 14, 2019, 07:46:41 PM »
Something I find mildly irritating is coming back after ten years and clicking "Show unread posts since last visit". Dang!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: October 15, 2019, 05:07:44 AM »
Why hello there Jen!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #2893 on: October 15, 2019, 05:14:31 AM »
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: October 15, 2019, 06:33:04 AM »
Typical lawyer response.

No, that would be "it depends."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2895 on: October 15, 2019, 10:08:27 AM »
Kars 4 Kids.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzFxD1j6Ws

Nope...just can't watch that (even if the kids' commentary might be interesting).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2896 on: October 15, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
Typical lawyer response.

That’s a typical old man response.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: October 15, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »
Typical lawyer response.

That’s a typical old man response.

Well, I'm both, so if anyone can use that, it's me!   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2898 on: October 16, 2019, 07:17:40 PM »
Commercials that are primarily made up of selfies and testimonial videos.   There's a new Disney commercial floating around up here that is brutal to watch for that reason. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2899 on: October 17, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
Commercials that are primarily made up of selfies and testimonial videos.   There's a new Disney commercial floating around up here that is brutal to watch for that reason.

I don't know that I've seen anything like that (or the particular Disney commercial referenced), but I have noticed a LOT more commercials with REALLY annoying music.  Apple/Iphone commercials seem particularly obnoxious.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2900 on: October 24, 2019, 06:07:17 AM »
Cost and portion sizes at restaurants.   

I went out to a place last night that my family and I go to every now and then. They make really good chicken alfredo and it's my go-to every time I go. They redid their menu. It wasn't a massive overhaul, but they changed a few things around, including the prices. The dish I always get went up $4, but I got it anyway.

Turns out, one of the changes they made was the portions. The plate of pasta I got was comically large. No joke, it had to be a pound and a half of pasta at least, plus the chicken. The waitress couldn't hold it with one hand. It was the same stuff as always, but with the menu change, you now get significantly more to the tune of four more dollars. My problem here is that it's just a ridiculous amount of food. I was stuffed to capacity and it honestly looked like I hadn't even started eating yet. I had to take the rest to go. Now I have to choose to either eat chicken alfredo for the next 3 days, or throw a bunch of perfectly good food away. 

/rant.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2901 on: October 24, 2019, 06:32:56 AM »
'Murica   :metal

:lolpalm:

No wonder 70% of the country is obese or morbidly obese.  I remember going to Disney for the first time with jingle.kids (circa 2006), and them each ordering a KIDS pizza for their dinner.  What arrived was the equivalent of what we'd call a Medium pizza up here.  There's no way *I* could have finished one order.  We quickly learned that mrs.jingle and I only needed to order 1 food item, and it would easily suffice for the two of us.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: October 24, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
We struggle with this a LOT.  My stepson is on the spectrum and has some anxiety and he's taken to assuaging that with food.   EVERY visit to the restaurant is always "Can I get the large? Can I get the double?"   We go to a burger place here in town and they just redid their menu; before, the standard order was a "single" and you could upgrade to a double for a small charge.  Now, they flipped it, kind of like Five Guys, where a "cheeseburger" gets you a DOUBLE, unless you specify the single.  WTF.

I don't need a restaurant to plan my meal proportions for me, but they don't have to make it harder, if you know what I mean.

I do plan sometimes to take stuff home - I work out of the house most often, so it's effective for me for lunch - but it's a nightmare with taking a family out. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: October 24, 2019, 08:28:16 AM »
Sometimes those large portions are great if you know about it and plan to take it home.  But yea, the portion sizes in the US are ridiculous overall and definitely contributes to the obesity in this country.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: October 24, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
Cram, I'm sure you can relate to this with all the travel you do, but it's the WORST when you're on the road. Even if you have a refrigerator in your room, it's still relatively useless.  I was in Florida couple weeks ago, and at a good BBQ place.  I got the best plate of pulled pork nachos you could ask for, ate half of it, at best, and had nowhere to go from there.   Just wasteful.  (I will sometimes ask for "half portion" or whatever; the problem then is that it screws up the pricing, so I risk paying full price for a half-plate of food.)