Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307090 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2765 on: September 17, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
No, I want the last word.  :loser:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2766 on: September 17, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2767 on: September 17, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »
Well, I know for me, I doubt I've ever heard a single song from Adele, so even if his voice is a complete dead ringer, I'm not sure that helps.

Rolling in the Deep? Someone Like You? Set Fire To The Rain? Skyfall? For reference:

Rolling In The Deep
- YouTube, 1.5 billion views
- Spotify, 573 million plays

Someone Like You
- YouTube, 1.3 billion views
- Spotify, 659 million plays

Set Fire To The Rain
- YouTube, 532 million views
- Spotify, 358 million plays

Skyfall (James Bond theme)
- YouTube, 367 million views
- Spotify, 109 million plays

What does the number of YouTube/Spotify views/plays have to do with whether a particular individual has heard a song?  I've definitely heard the Skyfall song because (I think) I saw the movie (if I didn't, my wife did, so I've probably heard it when she's watched it), but I couldn't begin to tell you what it sounds like (for the most part, I think Bond songs suck hard).  I have no idea if I've ever heard any other Adele song or Sam Smith song, but I know darn well I've never clicked on one of her or his YT videos or played one of her or his songs on Spotify.

chill, my man - it was just to show how popular her hits are, and that maybe he has actually heard her somewhere, in a grocery store, a commercial, wherever

imo Skyfall is one of the best Bond songs, and there's a certain dubstep remix (I can hear people groaning already, shut up) of it that is absolutely wonderful

also inb4 TAC

WUT? You have no faith bro!

I know Adele. Rolling In The Deep and Set Fire To The Rain are GREAT songs! Someone Like You BLOWS! Someone else sings that too, right? A male voice?

I just checked and I'm not familiar with Skyfall.

A few years back, we were at another family's house for dinner, and they had a CD playing. I literally recognized like every song, but I had no idea who it was, so I asked, and it was Adele. Seems I've heard all of these songs over my work intercom for years, but never knew who it was.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2768 on: September 17, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
It seems you made your point three ways, using Images & Words.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2769 on: September 17, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
Hello - Metal Cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQUJMBH8uE

To some, this might be a more enjoyable than the original.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: September 17, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
TAC knows iCarly and Adele but nothing else from after the GHWB administration. I will never figure you out!!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2771 on: September 17, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
Hello - Metal Cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQUJMBH8uE

To some, this might be a more enjoyable than the original.

That's...actually pretty good.  :lol

He's got a really good cover of the Cranberries' Zombie as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:46:39 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: September 17, 2019, 09:17:05 PM »
Trying to figure out what counts as a "view" on YouTube. Do you have to watch the whole thing? A specified portion of it? Does just clicking it count? Finding the answer resulted in more reading than I wanted to undertake.

I have this conversation all the time with my friend who likes modern pop music, particularly hip hop. He will say "I guarantee you have heard this song!" and then is flabbergasted when he plays something for me and I tell him I haven't. He doesn't get that the song just never would have had any chance to enter my consciousness in any way.

TAC knows iCarly and Adele but nothing else from after the GHWB administration.

What the hell is an iCarly? Is that an Apple peripheral?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2773 on: September 18, 2019, 06:13:11 AM »
When you update an app or program and its now less easy to use and less functional  :P

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: September 18, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »
Trying to figure out what counts as a "view" on YouTube. Do you have to watch the whole thing? A specified portion of it? Does just clicking it count? Finding the answer resulted in more reading than I wanted to undertake.

Yea, I think it's a complicated answer that youtube doesn't want to provide.  But from my understanding, once the video loads not just clicked, but once it starts playing, that counts as a view if it's under 300 views.  Once it's over that, another algorithm goes in place to determine a view.  My guess is the video, doesn't matter where in the view, needs to be viewed for a few seconds at least.  That's just my guess, but in general, anything is pretty much a view under 300 views.  They need to have some system like this in place to prevent ad fraud. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: September 18, 2019, 09:36:04 AM »
I have a friend who's a good guy but he just can't be 'fun' about anything. Guy did a decent cover at karaoke and he's overthinking everything related to singing karaoke as if he's going in the studio to do a cover of early 90s JLB. Life has many doors! Have FUN sometimes! Not everything needs to be a big deal! </rant>

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2776 on: September 18, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
I've been sitting on this rant for a while now, and then I see this news article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/proposed-bill-could-penalize-massachusetts-dog-owners-who-pretend-pets-are-service-animals/ar-AAHu21l

:clap: Massachusetts

I work in a major chain supermarket and what's with people bringing their fucking dogs shopping? Leave the fucking dog at home!
Missing a dog while you do errands does not automatically make it a comfort dog. My heart truly goes out to people who need this service, it really does, but business owners are so scared to tell someone to get rid of their dog for fear of being social media shamed for discrimination.
A service dog should have an orange vest and a fucking license plate!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2777 on: September 18, 2019, 10:13:11 AM »
With you on that.  100%.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2778 on: September 18, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »
Same.

I once had a client who forged documents to make her dog a service animal. Pissed me off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2779 on: September 18, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
Personally I enjoy seeing dogs.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2780 on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
Full agreement here too.  Had a patient last year whose "service dog" looked full on like the "pomeranian" in The Big Lebowski.  Nothing about it was a service dog except the leash that supposedly declared it as such.  The greasy little rat did nothing but whine and pace the room as I evaluated its owner, even jumping on my pant legs several times.  I generally don't take well to small dogs anyway, but I wanted to punt the little fucker to the other end of the clinic.  It even barked at other people as the patient was standing at the counter scheduling more appointments (which she thankfully didn't attend).  Service animal, my ass...

It's too bad, too, because it's shit like what has been described above and by others which spoils things for the people who truly have hardship and need actual service animals.  It only makes it harder on them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: September 18, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
Full agreement here too.  Had a patient last year whose "service dog" looked full on like the "pomeranian" in The Big Lebowski.  Nothing about it was a service dog except the leash that supposedly declared it as such.  The greasy little rat did nothing but whine and pace the room as I evaluated its owner, even jumping on my pant legs several times.  I generally don't take well to small dogs anyway, but I wanted to punt the little fucker to the other end of the clinic.  It even barked at other people as the patient was standing at the counter scheduling more appointments (which she thankfully didn't attend).  Service animal, my ass...

It's too bad, too, because it's shit like what has been described above and by others which spoils things for the people who truly have hardship and need actual service animals.  It only makes it harder on them.

And not that far removed from this idea: the people that have medical cards and brag about being high as f*** all over social media.

Online Adami

« Reply #2782 on: September 18, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Personally I enjoy seeing dogs.

Oh me too. But you don’t fake having a service animal. That’s not cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: September 19, 2019, 06:46:55 AM »
My beef for the day:  the super-annoying use of "super" as an adjective modifier.   And no, it's not my imagination.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: September 19, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
My beef for the day:  the super-annoying use of "super" as an adjective modifier.   And no, it's not my imagination.

Motion to replace all usage of 'super' with 'turbo'

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2785 on: September 19, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »

My wife does this, and while it does grate on me, I’ve become fairly numb to it. What bugs me more, though, is when I catch myself doing it. It just sounds immature to me, I guess.

What, like, bothers me more is like when people, like, use the word “like” like a hundred times in, like, the same sentence. Like, that’s super annoying...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: September 19, 2019, 07:37:52 AM »
It's annoying in the moment, for sure, but for me (and I don't expect others to share this) it's part of a bigger irritation:  everything is so hyperbolic these days.   If I hear someone on TV say "this changes EVERYTHING!" again I'm going to puke.   Dying changes everything.   Losing a leg in a logging accident changes everything.   Having your Bachelor candidate pick his nose on a date does not change "everything".   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2787 on: September 19, 2019, 08:04:35 AM »
This reminded me of the story from last year, someone trying to take a flight with a peacock, claiming it was an emotional support animal  :lol

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/airplane-mode/emotional-support-peacock-denied-flight-united-airlines-n842971
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #2788 on: September 19, 2019, 09:25:44 AM »
everything is so hyperbolic these days.

Heh
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:37:23 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2789 on: September 19, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »
everything is so hyperbolic these days.   

It’s super hyperbolic.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2790 on: September 19, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
So yesterday evening my GF and I went to Applebees to take advantage of a burger promo.  It was about 6:00 PM. We were seated in a booth next to an Asian family (Man, wife, 2 kids ages 5-7), who also had some other dude with them.

Well, the entire meal, the kids are screaming, running around the restaurant, climbing on things (tables, the little island with the register near the bar, etc). At one point they were literally hanging upside down off of railing set up along a ramp leading down into the bar, as well as LAYING ACROSS THE STEPS that lead down into the bar area (Like 2 steps down). One of them also kept coming to our table, crawling underneath it, and a few times just smacked my girlfriend in the arm.

We asked our server if she could ask the family to please keep their kids under control. Bare minimum keep them from fucking hitting us and disturbing out meal. She said she wasn't comfortable doing so and would bring us the manager. She also asked if WE made any effort to speak with the parents, making it seem like we're just complaining to complain. I flat out told her that if I have to go over and say something, I'd probably get kicked out of the restaurant, as I was pretty irritated. She just gives me a look and walked away.

Manager comes by several minutes later. We explain what's going on (which we shouldn't have to have done...as they were still fucking running around). She refused to speak to them, basically saying "Kids will be kids", and pretty much made us look like we are just a young couple who hate kids. The only thing she did was just offer to give us a discount off our bill (basically gave us our beverages for free). She made it seem like she was afraid of repercussions if she did anything about it.

At this point, I just made a point to loudly commentate on what the kids were doing. I also said loud enough for the parents to hear that if one of the little brats came up to our table again and touched us, I would yell at the kid.  The mother kept locking eyes with me and giving me dirty looks. Lady,  IDGAF. I am trying to enjoy my now cold burger.  There was legit a point where the mother was actually sitting there FILMING THE KIDS WITH HER PHONE while they climbed on railing and was smiling and laughing.

We totally don't mind kids. I get it, going to a place like that at dinner time, there are going to be kids. There were kids all over the restaurant but NONE of them were acting like that. Why the fuck were these parents allowing this to happen? I don't get it. This is why I hate people.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
^ I live in a different world.   If I ran around like that, I would have had my ass beat (perhaps figuratively, perhaps literally).  I never hit my kid, but had that been my kid, I would have told her to stay within our booth, and if she didn't reasonably honor my request (which wouldn't have been a request), kiss [TV/Polly Pockets/play-dates/all of the above] good bye for a reasonable time.   

A public restaurant is not your living room, and I don't think I'm a curmudgeon for thinking that way.  (Hell, when my wife and I take our grandson out - he's now 2 yrs. 5 mos. - we even pick up the floor around his high chair, at least the big stuff.) 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2792 on: September 19, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »
There is a difference in 'kids being kids' by crying because they're hungry and the food isn't there yet.....being 'ancy' and what not sitting down at a table. But, you do things to keep them busy (coloring books/actually talk to them to distract them etc etc) until the food comes or whatever.

What you've described Jay sounds like to me a failure of parenting. Seems to me these kids probably do whatever they want with no consequence. Were my kids to have behaved like that for a few seconds they'd have been reprimanded.....if they continued after that....well, actually....they never continued after being told to stop because they've been raised with consequences.

Again, 'kids will be kids'.....to a point. What you endured wasn't kids being kids.....it was lazy parenting.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2793 on: September 19, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
Couldn't have said it any better than Bill or Gary.

If only there were Darwin awards for parents, these parents might have found a way to be repeat winners.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »
And what made things even worse... I ordered my burger w/out pickle.

It came with pickles. I should have thrown them at the little fuckers.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2795 on: September 19, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
I work in a major chain supermarket and what's with people bringing their fucking dogs shopping? Leave the fucking dog at home!

I agree that the market is no place for a dog that isn't a legit service animal.  However, dumbass people won't leave their dogs at home, they'll leave them to die in their hot cars.  I'd rather deal with dogs in the supermarket than see dogs die because their idiot owners left them in the car in the parking lot.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
OH

and speaking of dogs...

We had our dog in the booth, in her doggy purse, who didn't make a goddamn peep the entire time.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2797 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
Manager comes by several minutes later. We explain what's going on (which we shouldn't have to have done...as they were still fucking running around). She refused to speak to them, basically saying "Kids will be kids", and pretty much made us look like we are just a young couple who hate kids. The only thing she did was just offer to give us a discount off our bill (basically gave us our beverages for free). She made it seem like she was afraid of repercussions if she did anything about it.

Managers have bosses and Applebees has policies about these things.  If you are so inclined, I'd aim a little higher up the food chain with my complaints.  Maybe some better trainings on customer service is in order.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2798 on: September 19, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »
OH

and speaking of dogs...

We had our dog in the booth, in her doggy purse, who didn't make a goddamn peep the entire time.

Leave the dog at home dammit!

The manager at that place blows.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2799 on: September 19, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »
I should have thrown them at the little fuckers.

That would get you reprimanded.....perhaps even a time out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind