Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309706 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2730 on: September 16, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
Wait....Gwen Stefani is Lady Gaga??

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2731 on: September 16, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2732 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »
So I turn on my computer and I see a headline

Celebs React To Sam Smith's Pronoun Change
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/celebs-react-to-sam-smiths-pronoun-change/ss-AAHgs3N?li=BBnb2gh

Apparently Sam Smith came out as "non-binary".

First off..I have two questions.
1. Who the hell is Sam Smith, and
2. WTF is "non-Binary"?

Anyway, there's a slideshow that follows of so called celebs social media messages.

Who the fuck are these people??
1st slide...Demi Lovato...yes, I have heard of her.
2. Jonathan Van Ness...WHO?? Looks like Dave Grohl in drag
3. Tess Holiday...WHO?? Looks like Adele ate..Adele.
4. Ryan Tedder...I'm sorry..WHO??
5. Lauren Jauregui....WHO?? Who is this??
6. JoJo...Ok..I have heard of her, but not in like 10 years I think.
7. Katherine Langford..Never heard of her. But Damn!

THESE are celebs?  :lol

You and I could be the same person.  "Non-binary"?  WTF??  :lol :lol

Do you have a dick?  If you do, you are a guy, if you don't, then you may be female.  I guess he's confused he looks kinda male but sounds like a chick.

Winner!

His wikipedia page has been completely scrubbed and all references to "him" are now "they".

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Do we need to call Rachel Dolezal black because she wants us to? Do we need to call Emile Ratelband* a 49 year old, because he wants us to? Don't things like "black" and "69 years old" have objective meaning?

Thank you!  If I can "identify" as a member of the other gender, I see no reason why I can't "identify" as someone of a different "race" or "age" or whatever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2733 on: September 16, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
If anyone has questions about non binary and wants to do more than mock it, feel free to message me. I did do a doctoral dissertation on it. Be happy to help.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2734 on: September 16, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »
Can't - won't - speak for anyone else, but I think there's a matter of degrees here and there's a matter of levels.   If someone well and truly has psychological issues to address involving their gender identification, then so be it, and that ought not be mocked.  While I'm not a doctor, I stayed in Holiday Inn Express last night, and I know that when I - or people close to me - have gone to licensed therapists to deal with serious psychological issues I can't recall even one time where that professional said "above all, make sure you go on social media and announce this to the entire world.  It will be healing."

I don't think I'm worlds off here in terms of relevance, but for various reasons I watched an episode (well, two, because it was continued) of The Doctors that focused on Aaron Carter.   And while I trust Travis Stork (and Judy Ho, a doctor in clinical psychology) to be professional and not do anything to harm their "patient", it was clear that the incessant need of Carter to have everything broadcast on TV and social media was a severe detriment to solving his issues of addiction and sexual identity (Carter appears to be struggling with his sexuality).   Finally, Ho offered to treat him for free but to do so off-camera and off-line.   

I think for me, there is the general identity politics issue, but also the personal one.  I think there's a point where dealing with the world's issues has to take a backseat to dealing with one's personal issues.  As they say, "put on your own life mask before offering to help your fellow passengers". 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:25:26 PM by Stadler »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2735 on: September 16, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
I agree with Eric. I don't know many trans/non-binary people personally, but I have no issue with calling people with pronouns/names they want to be addressed with. I mean, I'm a straight male so I don't know what it's like to feel that you're born to a wrong gender but at the same time, I don't want to be demeaning anyone's personal experiences just because I can't fully understand what's going on with their lives.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: September 16, 2019, 12:16:26 PM »
There's a hilarious bit in Dave Chappelle's new special about what if he was born black but inside felt Chinese
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: September 16, 2019, 12:24:23 PM »
I agree with Eric. I don't know many trans/non-binary people personally, but I have no issue with calling people with pronouns/names they want to be addressed with. I mean, I'm a straight male so I don't know what it's like to feel that you're born to a wrong gender but at the same time, I don't want to be demeaning anyone's personal experiences just because I can't fully understand what's going on with their lives.

But as some have written, that's great as far as it goes.  I was pretty clear that I would without question refer to a person as they wish to be referred.   I happen to know two transgender people personally and couldn't fathom doing anything differently. But I think there's at least one, maybe two, additional dimensions to this topic, and so there's a LOT more going on than that.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2738 on: September 16, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »
If anyone has questions about non binary and wants to do more than mock it, feel free to message me. I did do a doctoral dissertation on it. Be happy to help.

The point of my post wasn't to mock "Non Binary". It was to question what constitute celebrity these days, more of a grumpy old man post.

However, I have literally never heard of the term "non binary" until I read that article. Feel free to explain it, although I simply could google it..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: September 16, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »
That and the 5000 other things you're oblivious to.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2740 on: September 16, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
Wow!  If he's down to only 5,000, he has been one busy dude!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: September 16, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
 :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2742 on: September 16, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »
That's right. I even discovered a big celebrity yesterday and I PM'd Kingshmegland. He hadn't heard of him either. I felt so alive!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2743 on: September 16, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
Well yeah, Demi Lovato and JoJo (if she was a teenage pop star 15 years ago) were the only ones from that list I had ever heard about. And I doubt I have missed anything of importance by not knowing the rest.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2744 on: September 16, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »
That's right. I even discovered a big celebrity yesterday and I PM'd Kingshmegland. He hadn't heard of him either. I felt so alive!!!

True story.

I went to his link and realized I saw him on Jerry Seinfeld's Netflix show this season. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2745 on: September 16, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »

My wife and I have a thing:  an sports star isn't truly "famous" unless she's heard of him (or her).  For entertainment "celebrities," the reverse is true.  My guess is that most of these "celebrities" chime in about stuff like this in the hope of generating some publicity by riding the coattails of this "issue du jour" and the fact that the umpteen bazillion "media" outlets out there need to create artificial news to generate traffic.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2746 on: September 17, 2019, 09:33:52 AM »
I virtually guarantee you guys that if you typed "Sam Smith" into youtube, you'd recognize at least one of the songs. Maybe you thought they were sung by Adele, because Sam's voice is a dead ringer to hers  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2747 on: September 17, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »
Well, I know for me, I doubt I've ever heard a single song from Adele, so even if his voice is a complete dead ringer, I'm not sure that helps.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: September 17, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
Well, I know for me, I doubt I've ever heard a single song from Adele, so even if his voice is a complete dead ringer, I'm not sure that helps.

Rolling in the Deep? Someone Like You? Set Fire To The Rain? Skyfall? For reference:

Rolling In The Deep
- YouTube, 1.5 billion views
- Spotify, 573 million plays

Someone Like You
- YouTube, 1.3 billion views
- Spotify, 659 million plays

Set Fire To The Rain
- YouTube, 532 million views
- Spotify, 358 million plays

Skyfall (James Bond theme)
- YouTube, 367 million views
- Spotify, 109 million plays
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:48:02 AM by Kattelox »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2749 on: September 17, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
If you have been in the same room with a radio in the past 10 years, you've definitely heard Adele.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2750 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:15 AM »

Rolling in the Deep? Someone Like You? Set Fire To The Rain? Skyfall? For reference:

I know (and liked) Skyfall because of 007. However, any other song I heard from her has been whiny and annoying. I honestly don't think she's as great of a singer as others think.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »
Set Fire To The Rain is an incredible vocal performance, in my opinion.  (Rumor Has It is another favorite of mine).   

To me, Sam Smith's voice is way more reedy and thin than Adele's; I'm not the hugest fan of either, but I have a couple Adele songs on my iPod.   I would rather listen to a lawnmower hit an old sneaker than listen to Sam Smith.   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:48:09 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2752 on: September 17, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »

Rolling In The Deep

Someone Like You

Set Fire To The Rain

What does the number of YouTube/Spotify views/plays have to do with whether a particular individual has heard a song?  I've definitely heard the Skyfall song because (I think) I saw the movie (if I didn't, my wife did, so I've probably heard it when she's watched it), but I couldn't begin to tell you what it sounds like (for the most part, I think Bond songs suck hard).  I have no idea if I've ever heard any other Adele song or Sam Smith song, but I know darn well I've never clicked on one of her or his YT videos or played one of her or his songs on Spotify.

If you have been in the same room with a radio in the past 10 years, you've definitely heard Adele.

I haven't listened to a radio broadcast, other than in a car, for at least 20 years.  In the car, I listen to sports talk radio and broadcasts of sporting events, and I don't think Adele or Sammy-boy are being played on those.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2753 on: September 17, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »

Rolling In The Deep

Someone Like You

Set Fire To The Rain

What does the number of YouTube/Spotify views/plays have to do with whether a particular individual has heard a song?  I've definitely heard the Skyfall song because (I think) I saw the movie (if I didn't, my wife did, so I've probably heard it when she's watched it), but I couldn't begin to tell you what it sounds like (for the most part, I think Bond songs suck hard).  I have no idea if I've ever heard any other Adele song or Sam Smith song, but I know darn well I've never clicked on one of her or his YT videos or played one of her or his songs on Spotify.

chill, my man - it was just to show how popular her hits are, and that maybe he has actually heard her somewhere, in a grocery store, a commercial, wherever

imo Skyfall is one of the best Bond songs, and there's a certain dubstep remix (I can hear people groaning already, shut up) of it that is absolutely wonderful

also inb4 TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2754 on: September 17, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »
I don't even know what "dubstep" is and I don't want to listen to it.   :biggrin:

I just looked at a list of Bond songs, and there are maybe three I could tolerate (View to a Kill, For Your Eyes Only (Sheena Easton...mmmmm), and maybe one other).

And I don't think anyone was arguing that Adele isn't popular.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: September 17, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
I wasn't arguing that anyone was arguing that Adele isn't popular. AGAIN - I was saying he might have heard her songs somewhere.  :facepalm:  :lol

I do agree there aren't many good Bond songs honestly. But now I want to run through all of them and see how they rank. That's a good weekend activity!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2756 on: September 17, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
I wasn't arguing that anyone was arguing that Adele isn't popular. AGAIN - I was saying he might have heard her songs somewhere.

Then I don't really understand the point of referencing the YT/Spotify numbers.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: September 17, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »
I wasn't arguing that anyone was arguing that Adele isn't popular. AGAIN - I was saying he might have heard her songs somewhere.

Then I don't really understand the point of referencing the YT/Spotify numbers.

Popular music gets played in a lot of places. So he might have heard it somewhere. That's not me arguing whether or not Adele is popular, in fact it's an acknowledgement that she is already popular. The numbers are there to reinforce that they are indeed very popular songs and he might have heard them somewhere whether he knows it or not, partially because I am a numbers geek and partially because I thought bosk might appreciate seeing giant numbers associated with music he apparently has never heard.

Do I need to whip out charts and diagrams?  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: September 17, 2019, 10:54:20 AM »
Nobody Does It Better (Carly Simon) is one of my favorite songs of all time. and has legs (i.e. has a general popularity).
Live And Let Die (McCartney) has legs, even if it isn't one of my personal favorites.
The World Is Not Enough (Garbage) is one of my favorites, even if it doesn't have legs.
Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey) is widely regarded as a classic. 

Rolling Stone is generally shit (this couldn't be less true: "If there's one dirty secret that unites all Bond themes from the Nineties, it's that the songs ache to have been performed by Björk.") but this list is helpful:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/james-bond-movie-theme-songs-ranked-worst-to-best-154927/the-world-is-not-enough-garbage-148332/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2759 on: September 17, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Pretty sure I haven't heard those.  And, no, I haven't listened to radio in years (well, music radio, anyway).  It's a pretty outdated mode of listening to music for my tastes.  It's possible I may have heard something of hers somewhere.  But that does nothing to make her, and more on topic, Sam Smith, relevant in my world.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: September 17, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »
And, no, I haven't listened to radio in years (well, music radio, anyway).  It's a pretty outdated mode of listening to music for my tastes.
Same goes for me, but the same damn radio station is playing in every grocery store, cafe and mall I walk into.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: September 17, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
It's possible I may have heard something of hers somewhere.

Literally all I was saying, for the record :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2762 on: September 17, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
:evilmonkey:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: September 17, 2019, 11:48:06 AM »
A discussion of Bond themes might be worthyof its own thread. Either way I will chime in with my thoughts tonight.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2764 on: September 17, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »
Nobody Does It Better (Carly Simon) is one of my favorite songs of all time. and has legs (i.e. has a general popularity).
Live And Let Die (McCartney) has legs, even if it isn't one of my personal favorites.
The World Is Not Enough (Garbage) is one of my favorites, even if it doesn't have legs.
Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey) is widely regarded as a classic. 

Rolling Stone is generally shit (this couldn't be less true: "If there's one dirty secret that unites all Bond themes from the Nineties, it's that the songs ache to have been performed by Björk.") but this list is helpful:  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/james-bond-movie-theme-songs-ranked-worst-to-best-154927/the-world-is-not-enough-garbage-148332/

Live and Let Die is the other one I was thinking of.  And I'll give two  :tup :tup to this:  "Rolling Stone is generally shit."

It's possible I may have heard something of hers somewhere.

Literally all I was saying, for the record :)

A point that didn't need to be made and done with citation to numbers that had no relevance to the point.   :biggrin:

Said differently: when someone write, "I doubt I've ever heard a single song from Adele," citing scads of YT view and Spotify play numbers is a complete non sequitur.

And in yet another way:

:evilmonkey: