Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309462 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2380 on: July 10, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
I'm not sure which of the following is more irritating:  (1) when approaching a 3 or 4-way stop and someone just rolls through without coming close to stopping; or (2) in the same situation, when someone clearly stops first (and therefore has the right of way) but refuses to proceed.  Both of these happen all the damn time in my neighborhood, and I pretty much want to do violence every time it does.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2381 on: July 10, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »
when someone clearly stops first (and therefore has the right of way) but refuses to proceed.

This exact thing occurred this morning on my way to work. Not only did she arrive to the 4-way first, she was on the right, and she still wouldn't go. Ultimately, no harm done, just a little strange.

Given that just rolling through without stopping is illegal and not taking the right of way is just annoying, I'd have to do with the disliking running the stop sign more, personally.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: July 10, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
What's even more annoying is when you are waiting for the person to make their rightful move and don't, when you finally start to say fuck it and hit the gas, then they hit the gas so you stop and have the stare down again.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2383 on: July 10, 2019, 12:13:55 PM »
Speaking of driving peeves, I cannot stand when someone slows down to 2mph just to perform a turn. If the turn doesn't involve threading your car through a space the width of a pubic hair, I don't understand the need to slow to snail's pace to complete it.

Also, people who swing wide to the ride out of their lane to make left turns; you aren't kissing the apex of a turn on the Nurburgring, you're turning into Rite-Aid. Act like it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2384 on: July 10, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
The driving situations as listed above make me think of the times that someone pulls out in front of you or cut you off, and then wave at you as if you voluntarily let them in and did them a favor. No, you inconsiderate fuck, I merely braked from 20 to 0 in 10 feet to avoid running my car into your shit mobile.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2385 on: July 10, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
*waves at Snow Dog
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2386 on: July 10, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
Also, people who swing wide to the ride out of their lane to make left turns; you aren't kissing the apex of a turn on the Nurburgring, you're turning into Rite-Aid. Act like it.

YES!  I've never understood why folks do this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: July 10, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »
When it is warm out and raining. Hey weather, if you want to be warm, have the sun out and cut out the rain. If you want to rain, cool down the temperature!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2388 on: July 10, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:20 PM »
When your wife says out of the blue "Did you know the US soccer team makes a lot less money than the men's team?" and you have a split second to think real hard about how to respond.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2390 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:58 PM »
That should be an easy one (unless you actually didn't know) - "yeah, and it's bullshit!" :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: July 10, 2019, 11:13:10 PM »
Right. My 8 year old daughter actually brought it up too.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2392 on: July 11, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
Well, the ladies' team are now world champions and the men didn't even qualify for the next World Cup.  :biggrin: Also, they have generated more revenue in last three years than the men's team. I think there's a fair case to be made for hiking up the ladies' wages/bonuses.

E: The qualification for the next World Cup hasn't even begun yet. The men's team failed to qualify for 2018 Cup.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:22:54 AM by Ruba »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2393 on: July 11, 2019, 07:14:11 AM »
Ugh....honestly Megan Rapinoe has sucked any and all joy or pride that could have been gleened from that world cup victory right out of the atmosphere for me. Yet another athlete abusing their position to pimp a political and social statement. There's nothing more annoying to me than that.

Maybe they have a case for the pay, but Rapinoe and her egotistical swagger is accomplishing the direct opposite effect concerning getting it addressed.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2394 on: July 11, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
Humorless dickwads at work who can't stand when anyone else has any fun and feel the need to shit on any sort of spirited anything in the office.

Fucking Cannot Understand Normal Thinking

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2395 on: July 11, 2019, 08:17:30 AM »
Humorless dickwads at work who can't stand when anyone else has any fun and feel the need to shit on any sort of spirited anything in the office.

Related to this... when you start talking about something you're excited for and the other party in the conversation doesn't wish you a good time or anything positive, but instead craps on the experience.

Me: I'm going to Madison, WI next month.
Them: What for?
Me: Music festival, watch bands all day, play some arcade games, drink some beer.
Them: Ugh, that's such a long drive, no thanks. Why would you want to go up there? I can't STAND driving through Chicago blah blah blah etc. etc.
Me:  :yeahright :yeahright :yeahright Thanks for not understanding I like concerts and focusing on literally the most uninteresting aspect of that day's events...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2396 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »
That should be an easy one (unless you actually didn't know) - "yeah, and it's bullshit!" :)

The correct answer is...yawn...soccer?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: July 11, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »

The correct answer is...yawn...soccer?

My wife said, and I quote "If the sport was worth watching, both the men and the women would be paid more:lol  It's a non-starter for her.  I said "that's right... they need to grow a pair and play another sport"; I didn't realize the irony in what I'd said until later that night.

If you're winning at sport and winning at life, just keep winning!  Money is money ... "Heed my advice may you hear every word, don't sacrifice meaning for riches that burn"  or something like that.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: July 11, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »

Related to this... when you start talking about something you're excited for and the other party in the conversation doesn't wish you a good time or anything positive, but instead craps on the experience.

Me: Music festival, watch bands all day, play some arcade games, drink some beer.
Them: Ugh, that's such a long drive, no thanks. Why would you want to go up there? I can't STAND driving through Chicago blah blah blah etc. etc.
Me:  :yeahright :yeahright :yeahright Thanks for not understanding I like concerts and focusing on literally the most uninteresting aspect of that day's events...

Yea, it's really annoying but my mother is a huge downer for me with this.  Obviously, I'm not asking my mom to join me, but when she asks "what's your plan today?" "oh im going to a concert in the city" "by yourself" "yes" "WHY?!?!?!" every single time... is sitting home really a better option to some people than living your life?  I guess so for some, I met a 30 year old girl at a concert the other night, kept referencing her "mommy" and said her "mommy" warned her about strangers (we were talking about uber drivers, not about me although maybe she was also referencing me).  Made me think this girl probably hasn't left home much in her 30 years.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »

Yea, it's really annoying but my mother is a huge downer for me with this.  Obviously, I'm not asking my mom to join me, but when she asks "what's your plan today?" "oh im going to a concert in the city" "by yourself" "yes" "WHY?!?!?!" every single time... is sitting home really a better option to some people than living your life?  I guess so for some, I met a 30 year old girl at a concert the other night, kept referencing her "mommy" and said her "mommy" warned her about strangers (we were talking about uber drivers, not about me although maybe she was also referencing me).  Made me think this girl probably hasn't left home much in her 30 years.

Man I feel this so hard. It's like we have the same mom. lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2400 on: July 11, 2019, 11:06:45 AM »

Or... "Huh, I did know that.  And did YOU know that up until the last three years, men's merch outsold the women's, game revenue favored the men as well, the prize money for the men's WC is $400 million whereas the women's is $30 million, AND the salaries of both are governed by a collective bargaining agreement that hasn't been released to the public yet (though we do know that the men's salaries are PURELY incentive based (dependent on whether the player plays in a game, whether the team wins, and how the team does as a whole) whereas the women receive a base salary and a bonus on top based on the above factors)?"  But that's not quippy and doesn't sell papers, I guess. 

I'm with Gary on this one.  If all things are equal - and all things are rarely equal - they should be paid the same, no question, not up for debate.  But as I noted, things are rarely equal.   And I'm sort of done with Rapinoe's nonsense too.  (And before people chime in on "criticizing a woman", I don't watch the NBA at all anymore because of the exact same "show me the money" attitude and when players boycott the White House in ANY sport, I have the same criticisms.   I get the free speech argument, but that doesn't mean that I want to hear it. Not every moment in time has to serve your own personal politics.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: July 11, 2019, 11:18:30 AM »
I didn't follow woman's soccer and still don't so I haven't been following or cared about what's going on with that (although I'm glad they won, that's awesome) but what I do find mildly irritating is the politicizing of everything.  That's not meant to be a shot at these girls, just in general although I guess it applies here someway since it seems we can't just enjoy a nice national victory as a country.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: July 11, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »
I didn't follow woman's soccer and still don't so I haven't been following or cared about what's going on with that (although I'm glad they won, that's awesome) but what I do find mildly irritating is the politicizing of everything.  That's not meant to be a shot at these girls, just in general although I guess it applies here someway since it seems we can't just enjoy a nice national victory as a country.

This. The fact that EVERYTHING is now politicized is what’s driving me mad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: July 11, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »

This. The fact that EVERYTHING is now politicized is what’s driving me mad.

I've been trying to find the tapes of Mike Eruzione and Jim Craig boycotting the White House trip and calling attention to the unfair working conditions and lack of pay for being on the Olympic Hockey Team.  I know they must be out there somewhere.... 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: July 11, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »
I didn't follow woman's soccer and still don't so I haven't been following or cared about what's going on with that (although I'm glad they won, that's awesome)

Which is a whole other thing....I mean, there's like 3 maybe 4 women national teams that 'could' or 'should' win these tournaments each time. The USA has a strong team, Brazil, England...then there are some more cusp teams that are good not great that could win with a solid game. Even the team the USA played to win was pretty lucky to have been in the championship game.

My point is.....it's not like this was some ultimate...major....massive difficult thing to do. They were expected to win because the competition just isn't there in the womens stage yet.

Glad they won because 'yeah USA' and all....but a part of me wishes they had choked just to knock down some of those egos a bit. I get that winning that tournament is the pinnacle of their sport....but the level of competition just isn't there IMO for how overtly cocky they've been. Swagger, confidence and a touch of cockiness is fine and expected in these really good teams but there is a point where it can begin to have the opposite effect. It's reached that point in my eyes. Completely turned off by the Womens US National Soccer team at this point.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:00 PM »
I remember in the 90s the USWNT was pretty good, I can't remember her name, but there was a star player there too that got a lot of attention.  I don't believe they won, but I remember just being a big national story and everyone behind the team it seemed.  I don't recall, although there could have been, politicization of that team or anything, but compared to this year, it seems everyone just wants to argue instead of enjoy our national team.  Yea it sucks they aren't paid "equally" but by kicking ass and making money for sponsors hopefully they get what they are due.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »
I remember in the 90s the USWNT was pretty good, I can't remember her name, but there was a star player there too that got a lot of attention.  I don't believe they won, but I remember just being a big national story and everyone behind the team it seemed.  I don't recall, although there could have been, politicization of that team or anything, but compared to this year, it seems everyone just wants to argue instead of enjoy our national team.  Yea it sucks they aren't paid "equally" but by kicking ass and making money for sponsors hopefully they get what they are due.

Mia Hamm was the big one in the 90's.

And until the sport becomes a major draw they're not going to get paid what they 'believe' they should. Their predecessors made their livings off of endorsement deals and public gigs. I'm sure ol' girl Rapinoe will have her Nike contract inked before months end.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: July 11, 2019, 01:43:43 PM »
Yup, Mia Hamm, knew I would know it if I heard (or read) it

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2408 on: July 11, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »
I remember in the 90s the USWNT was pretty good, I can't remember her name, but there was a star player there too that got a lot of attention.  I don't believe they won

I don't follow (or like) soccer, but even I know this.  The USWNT burst onto the scene the late 90s with Mia Hamm as the star player.  The team won the World Cup in 1999 (which was held in the U.S.), with the lasting image being Brandy Chastain pulling off her jersey and doing a knee slide with just her shorts and sports bra.  Seems that the U.S. team also won in 1991, but I don't recall anyone knowing or caring about that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2409 on: July 11, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
This is the Uconn basketball problem.  Other than maybe Tennessee (who Geno Auriemma personally targeted as his nemesis) Uconn women's basketball went largely unchallenged for decades, and finally, in the last couple years, the sport has caught up.  And we're all better for it.   

But one of Geno's best and enduring traits was keeping his teams humble and focused, game to game.  I don't know a ton of the women that played for him, but 99% of them speak of him with what borders on reverence, and are, largely, very grounded.  He famously does not get along too well with the (old) men's coach (who elevated the men's program to national greatness) Jim Calhoun.   Calhoun was/is an EXTREMELY competitive guy and didn't like sharing the spotlight with Auriemma, but even Auriemma had to admit that Calhoun winning meant more to the school - monetarily (Auriemma would NEVER concede spiritually) - than his team winning did. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
I find it hilarious that a bunch of men are rabble rabble-ing about women asking for equal pay.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: July 11, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »
I find it hilarious that a bunch of men are rabble rabble-ing about women asking for equal pay.  :lol

But that's the point; I don't speak for anyone else here, but I am 100%, unequivocally in support of equal pay. It shouldn't even be an issue (though I recognize that it is).   However, we may or may not be actually talking about "equal pay".  Should Mike Anthony be paid as much as Ed Van Halen?

I think when it comes to sports in particular, the distinction is important.   Odell Beckham, Jr. catches footballs, and expects to be paid, as does Antonio Brown.    The Mara family (and the Rooney family) are not paying him to "catch footballs".  They're paying him to do what it takes to a) win Championships, and b) put fannies in the seats.  To the extent that is catching footballs, so be it, we're on the right page, but if it takes NOT catching footballs for that outcome, then we have a problem. So who should be paid more; Odell Beckham, Jr., or Julian Edelman? 

I'm all for equal pay, but equal pay doesn't necessarily mean "the exact same dollars and cents, with no context".   We have to agree on what it is that you're being paid for.  Now, I don't think the women's claim is specious, at all, but it's not the egregious gender slam that Megan Rapinoe (and, to be fair, others) are making it out to be.  It's complicated, and gestures like silent national anthems and skipping White House celebrations don't do justice to that complexity.

Chris Rock said it best:  Shaq is RICH.  The man PAYING Shaq is WEALTHY. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: July 11, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

But that's the point; I don't speak for anyone else here, but I am 100%, unequivocally in support of equal pay. It shouldn't even be an issue (though I recognize that it is).   However, we may or may not be actually talking about "equal pay".  Should Mike Anthony be paid as much as Ed Van Halen?

I think when it comes to sports in particular, the distinction is important.   Odell Beckham, Jr. catches footballs, and expects to be paid, as does Antonio Brown.    The Mara family (and the Rooney family) are not paying him to "catch footballs".  They're paying him to do what it takes to a) win Championships, and b) put fannies in the seats.  To the extent that is catching footballs, so be it, we're on the right page, but if it takes NOT catching footballs for that outcome, then we have a problem. So who should be paid more; Odell Beckham, Jr., or Julian Edelman? 

I'm all for equal pay, but equal pay doesn't necessarily mean "the exact same dollars and cents, with no context".   We have to agree on what it is that you're being paid for.  Now, I don't think the women's claim is specious, at all, but it's not the egregious gender slam that Megan Rapinoe (and, to be fair, others) are making it out to be.  It's complicated, and gestures like silent national anthems and skipping White House celebrations don't do justice to that complexity.

Chris Rock said it best:  Shaq is RICH.  The man PAYING Shaq is WEALTHY.

No, no, I get it, I'm just poking fun is all. I understand that the men's leagues make far much more money than the women's, ergo the men just... make more. Insofar as that goes, I see nothing wrong with it. I WISH I made as much money as some of those female athletes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2413 on: July 11, 2019, 05:45:07 PM »
The 2015 team was far more likable, with Carli Lloyd leading the charge.  It's like some don't realize that not everyone wants to get beat over the head with political and/or societal issues when it comes to sports.  I watch sports to be entertained..and stressed out and irritable when the Blues have playoff games :lol.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2414 on: July 11, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
I may be the only one, but I say good for them, and keep fighting.  And yes, I'm aware that there are nuances to the issue - many of which are addressed in the article that Ruba linked.  But as far as I'm concerned, their victory hasn't at all been ruined by their fight for equal pay.  They're using their platform now because now is that time that they have the platform.  If they inspire young girls to be athletes - that's awesome.  If they inspire them to be political and continue the fight for equal pay, that's awesome too.