Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309625 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2345 on: June 27, 2019, 01:07:46 PM »
Mildly irritated that there isn't an OUTRAGE! thread

Well...there is a "pissed off" thread.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53922.0
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #2346 on: June 30, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
Drug commercials. They’re all the same.

*Sad, depressing music as subject victim talks to the camera*

“I was having trouble with _______, and when my doctor said I had _______, I was devastated. I felt hopeless...”

*Music becomes more uplifting*

“...But then I found out about ________.”

*Subject victim shown doing various random activities such as golfing, mowing the lawn, walking the dog, playing an instrument, gardening, playing bocce, blowing out birthday candles, etc. Voice over simultaneously going through side effects, advisories, and other things to cover their ass so they don’t get sued*

*Subject victim closes it out*

“Talk to your doctor about _______ and start living your life. Today!”

*Mention of pharma company as their logo swirls onto the screen*

*End commercial*

Nearly every time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2347 on: July 01, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
You forgot to mention that the effects/advisories, are usually rattled off by a professional auctioneer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2348 on: July 01, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
Annnnd sometimes the quick blurb about not being able to pay for your prescriptions and their discount plan.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2349 on: July 01, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
You forgot to mention that the effects/advisories, are usually rattled off by a professional auctioneer.

And that every side effect actually seems worse than whatever you already have.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2350 on: July 01, 2019, 09:13:03 AM »

And that every side effect actually seems worse than whatever you already have.  :lol

"Migrainitol may cause dizziness, diarrhea, growth on tongue, kidney failure, cancer, stroke, and sudden death. Ask your doctor before use."
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2351 on: July 01, 2019, 09:36:09 AM »

*Sad, depressing music as subject victim talks to the camera*

“I was having trouble with _______, and when my doctor said I had _______, I was devastated. I felt hopeless...”

*Music becomes more uplifting*

“...But then I found out about ________.”

*Subject victim shown doing various random activities such as golfing, mowing the lawn, walking the dog, playing an instrument, gardening, playing bocce, blowing out birthday candles, etc. Voice over simultaneously going through side effects, advisories, and other things to cover their ass so they don’t get sued*

*Subject victim closes it out*

“Talk to your doctor about _______ and start living your life. Today!”

*Mention of pharma company as their logo swirls onto the screen*

*End commercial*

Nearly every time.

You forgot the main part!   "Moderately good song from the 70's/80's completely redone by a Manhattan Transfer cover band, and with the drug title cycled in for a main part of the lyric."        "ABC - Trefigy!" or "O- O- O- Ozempic!"

The Eloquis ones are particularly annoying.  "I accept that I can't play two hour sets anymore".... dude, you're playing in broad daylight on the back of a flatbed truck.  It's not like you were playing in the E Street Band.   

Sorry I got carried away.   I think I need Wytensin!   :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: July 01, 2019, 09:39:29 AM »
HAHAHA. Spot on, Stadler. Still better than the "Are you gellin'?" Dr. Scholl's commercials.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2353 on: July 01, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »

I asked my cardiologist what she thinks of the prescription drug ads and whether she constantly has patients coming in and asking to be prescribed "Drug X" because they saw a commercial.  She said the biggest problem she has noticed is that some of her patients have stopped taking vitally important drugs without consulting her solely because of the list of side effects mentioned on the commercials.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2354 on: July 01, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »
When I was getting my MBA, the Marketing professor argued that the Big Pharma advertising directly to the populace and encouraging them to "ask your doctor" may be the single greatest marketing "idea" in history.   Because it singularly put doctors in a bad spot.  They are supposedly out of the realm of commerce, "do no harm", and all that, but a huge part of that is the patient's confidence in their provider.  So if you see that commercial, and go in to the doctor, first, the worst thing possible for the doctor is that they don't know about that drug.  Second worst is that it doesn't fit in the over-all treatment plan, and so now the doctor isn't in the position of giving GOOD advice, the doctor is in the position of defending advice that on it's face looks out of date and ineffective.   Of course, Pharma wants above all to be helpful, so they countered that by sending young attractive sales people out to the doctors with free samples and literature to get them on board. ;)   

To my mind, it's one of the more detrimental and damaging innovations we've seen, and in my view has contributed to both the high cost of healthcare but also the position of power occupied by Pharma for the past couple decades. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2355 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:23 AM »

I asked my cardiologist what she thinks of the prescription drug ads and whether she constantly has patients coming in and asking to be prescribed "Drug X" because they saw a commercial.  She said the biggest problem she has noticed is that some of her patients have stopped taking vitally important drugs without consulting her solely because of the list of side effects mentioned on the commercials.

Think about how much these commercials cost and then remember who ends up footing the bill for these drugs.  Also doctors and compensated for promoting certain drugs that cost a lot more then their generic of another drug that can do the same and cost less.  As a patient we have to speak up to find out there is alternatives.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: July 01, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »

"Migrainitol may cause dizziness, diarrhea, growth on tongue, kidney failure, cancer, stroke, and sudden death. Ask your doctor before use."

Don't forget anal leakage.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: July 02, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »

Think about how much these commercials cost and then remember who ends up footing the bill for these drugs.  Also doctors and compensated for promoting certain drugs that cost a lot more then their generic of another drug that can do the same and cost less.  As a patient we have to speak up to find out there is alternatives.

Ugh yea.  For a bit, I delivered salads and I would deliver big catering orders to hospitals for the sales ladies hosting a drug lunch to get their product in the hands of doctors.  Always beautiful women too.  And I remember a couple years ago, going to my doctor, and I needed a prescription to lower my uric acid levels to combat my gout.  I knew I needed allopurinal and she prescribed me something else.  She said it was newer and better.  Cool...... turns out it also cost a fortune even with decent insurance and then when I told her it was unaffordable she put me on the drug I expected which cost like 1 dollar and it did it's job.  I was pretty annoyed by the whole situation and felt like it was totally a sales pitch instead of just giving me the best product per dollar.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: July 02, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »
lol US healthbusinesscare

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: July 02, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2360 on: July 02, 2019, 01:53:57 PM »

Ugh yea.  For a bit, I delivered salads and I would deliver big catering orders to hospitals for the sales ladies hosting a drug lunch to get their product in the hands of doctors.  Always beautiful women too.  And I remember a couple years ago, going to my doctor, and I needed a prescription to lower my uric acid levels to combat my gout.  I knew I needed allopurinal and she prescribed me something else.  She said it was newer and better.  Cool...... turns out it also cost a fortune even with decent insurance and then when I told her it was unaffordable she put me on the drug I expected which cost like 1 dollar and it did it's job.  I was pretty annoyed by the whole situation and felt like it was totally a sales pitch instead of just giving me the best product per dollar.

I once went to my GP and had the following conversation: 

Me: I know this is probably frowned up, but my good friend has been prescribed Vyvanse. I've always had trouble reading and retaining information. My friend gave me a few days worth and I can tell that it helps a lot.
Doc: Do you know what dosage he gets?
Me: Yes. 50s.
Doc: Do you think that'd be good for you?
Me: Could I do 60s?
Doc: Sure *proceeds to fill out script*

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: July 02, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »
Why am I still amused at "I used to deliver salads"?    :)   I'm not making fun of it, but it just struck me as funny.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: July 02, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
 :lol I also worked at a pet store and washed cars at a dealership.  Had quite a few different jobs when I was younger although I'm most proud of my Boston Market days

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2363 on: July 02, 2019, 04:04:28 PM »
:lol I also worked at a pet store and washed cars at a dealership.

When I first read this, I read it as "washed cats."   :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: July 02, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
That would be the worst job ever. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: July 02, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »

I once went to my GP and had the following conversation: 

Me: I know this is probably frowned up, but my good friend has been prescribed Vyvanse. I've always had trouble reading and retaining information. My friend gave me a few days worth and I can tell that it helps a lot.
Doc: Do you know what dosage he gets?
Me: Yes. 50s.
Doc: Do you think that'd be good for you?
Me: Could I do 60s?
Doc: Sure *proceeds to fill out script*

My adderall perscription was tougher to get :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2366 on: July 09, 2019, 01:36:25 PM »
With regard to movies, shows, and other entertainment in this day and age, I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the overall approach to spoilers and theories posted all over the Internet.  I guess these are sort of two separate things.  But the former really is starting to go beyond "mildly irritating" for me. 

I'm fairly loose in one sense when it comes to spoilers.  If you go to a site where you know a given topic is discussed, I feel like it's completely on you if it gets spoiled.  Even here, although I fully support not putting spoilers in thread titles and having "no spoiler" threads, I'm not about to mandate that every post with a potential spoiler get put in tiny font.  If you don't wanna know what happened in the latest Marvel movie, yeah, we'll be courteous and not allow spoilers in thread titles and will want people to be respectful and put "SPOILER" warnings on things that should have spoiler warnings.  But if you go into the Marvel thread, you should expect discussions of whatever the latest Marvel thing is, some of which may contain spoilers. 

That said, there should NOT be spoilers just randomly spread all over the frickin' place with no warning.  But if you go anywhere on the Internet these days, you are likely to run into spoilers in LOTS of places where you don't expect to find them.  And even where you see just headlines or YouTube video titles or what have you that claim to be "spoiler free," there are often hints that give away major spoilers anyway.  It just seems like if you don't see a movie or TV show in the first couple of days after its release (if that long), you are guaranteed to have it spoiled unless you can find a way to completely avoid the Internet, all social media, etc.  And that isn't realistic.  It really pisses me off.

The specifics of where this rant is coming from:  I have not yet seen Spiderman or Stranger Things 3.  (I will likely see Spiderman tonight.)  But I have seen ALL KINDS OF THINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE that have revealed actual spoilers for both, and it is not been on sites where there is open discussion.  I have avoided any direct discussion, and STILL have unintentionally run into things.  People are just so inconsiderate and in such a hurry to broadcast to the entire earth how current they are.   :censored 

I could say more, but this is already a LOT longer than I intended.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2367 on: July 09, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »
How do you not know what's going to happen in Spiderman already?

And no I have not ever, will I ever see a Spiderman movie.

But what's going to happen is that Spidey is going to fight a bad guy. The bad guy is going to have Spidey on the ropes, and just when you thing he won't make it, he springs from the trap to defeat the bad guy.

And the movie will close with a line that will tease the next lame movie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: July 09, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
How do you not know what's going to happen in Spiderman already?

And no I have not ever, will I ever see a Spiderman movie.

But what's going to happen is that Spidey is going to fight a bad guy. The bad guy is going to have Spidey on the ropes, and just when you thing he won't make it, he springs from the trap to defeat the bad guy.

And the movie will close with a line that will tease the next lame movie.

"hurrr I haven't seen any comic movies but they're lame and predictable" - That's what you sound like. There's actually a lot more that happens in the new Spidey flick that's pretty big and important for the MCU. But you wouldn't care because you haven't seen any of them yet want to call them all lame...  :tdwn

Speaking of what I find mildly irritating...  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2369 on: July 09, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
What's MCU?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: July 09, 2019, 01:51:17 PM »
Typically I agree, don't shit on something you don't know about, but my big thing as to why I don't care for the super hero movies is kind of because exactly of what TAC said... I've seen some too, but none in the last 5 or more years because the formula gets boring.  Having said that, with the unanimous praise for lots of these movies I'm sure they've moved onto better plots since I last saw one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: July 09, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: July 09, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »
What's MCU?

Tim, you sound like Trump.  Stop hazing anything you have no background on. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2373 on: July 09, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
I'm being a bit facetious about my take, obviously.

But I honestly don't now what MCU is.

Typically I agree, don't shit on something you don't know about, but my big thing as to why I don't care for the super hero movies is kind of because exactly of what TAC said... I've seen some too, but none in the last 5 or more years because the formula gets boring.  Having said that, with the unanimous praise for lots of these movies I'm sure they've moved onto better plots since I last saw one.

To me, Cram, it's basically like watching the same movie over and over again. But that's me. I watch sports every night. A lot of people find that dumb. One team wins and another loses. Blah blah.

What's MCU?

Tim, you sound like Trump.  Stop hazing anything you have no background on. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
TAC, learn to have fun and watch some Spiderman.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2375 on: July 09, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »
Do they still sing the song at the beginning?

"Spiderman, Spiderman
Does whatever a spider can
Spins his web, any size
Catches Thieves, just like flies
Look out, here comes the Spiderman"

From total memory mofo!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: July 09, 2019, 02:02:36 PM »
It doesn't have words but it's used in this one. Best theme song ever  :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: July 09, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
Why am I still amused at "I used to deliver salads"?    :)   I'm not making fun of it, but it just struck me as funny.

At least he delivered them instead of tossing them... perhaps he tossed them before he delivered them.  :biggrin:  I'm actually surprised that I got to that joke first... maybe that says something about my neural pathways?

There used to be a website that allowed you to check your doc's participation in such tossing... I mean schemes... I mean things; if I'm not mistaken, pharma reps log their expenses and I remember this report being a good thing.  Seems like I got the link from Last Week Tonight.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the US one of the only countries that allows pharma to actually advertise?

What's MCU?

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: July 09, 2019, 03:05:32 PM »

At least he delivered them instead of tossing them... perhaps he tossed them before he delivered them.  :biggrin:  I'm actually surprised that I got to that joke first... maybe that says something about my neural pathways?

I tossed salads at Boston Market and delivered them at Salad Works  :biggrin:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2379 on: July 10, 2019, 08:27:28 AM »
When CSRs send back jobs with the absolute bare minimum of any modicum of information and then end the email with "let me know if you have any questions."

All that does is express that you know you haven't provided enough information and that I will certainly be bothering you again for more info (how about a reference number, job specs, a client name, and any sort of reference to what exactly we are to be designing and producing). How about you just save us all the hassle and do the complete amount of work the first time rather than just shoving it out your outbox and brushing your hands clean.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche