Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309811 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2240 on: June 11, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
I was once cc'ed on an email to an HR Manager with the subject "ZZZ Flight request for crew member..." I replied to the sender (a friend) asking if she dozed off at the when they started that email. She said the HR Manager sorts her email by the subject column from Z-A so if you want your email to appear at the top of her list you need to start your subject line with Zs.

What the deuce? What's the logic behind that?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2241 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
I was once cc'ed on an email to an HR Manager with the subject "ZZZ Flight request for crew member..." I replied to the sender (a friend) asking if she dozed off at the when they started that email. She said the HR Manager sorts her email by the subject column from Z-A so if you want your email to appear at the top of her list you need to start your subject line with Zs.

Probably one of those "quippy", seemingly clever LinkedIn posts.  "This one trick that winners use!" or whatever. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2242 on: June 11, 2019, 11:12:18 AM »

Probably one of those "quippy", seemingly clever LinkedIn posts.  "This one trick that winners use!" or whatever.

"17 ways to manage your Inbox so simple you'll wonder why you aren't doing them already!"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: June 11, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
HAHAHA, Chad!  That's probably the one!  I swear that article is out there! 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2244 on: June 11, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
HAHAHA, Chad!  That's probably the one!  I swear that article is out there!

To that end, clickbait is mildly irritating.  It's dressing up a pig with a catching title.  We're all on to you, you dumbass blog-style marketers.  It used to be majorly annoying, but since we're on to it now, I don't get baited and am only annoyed at having to read/sift thru the headers.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2245 on: June 11, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
So I'm walking on 1 of about 20 treadmills. There are about 17 open to the right of me before you get to the next person and this lady decides to use the one right next to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »
So I'm walking on 1 of about 20 treadmills. There are about 17 open to the right of me before you get to the next person and this lady decides to use the one right next to me.

:lol acceptable is she is  :hat

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: June 11, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »

Well, look at you.  :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2248 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2249 on: June 11, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »
I can only kind of relate. My gym is a little private gym in a strip mall in a (usually empty) plaza. On one side of the entrance there are floor-to-ceiling glass panels letting in all the sunshine, and 4 treadmills lined up perfectly in that section. I will not get on the treadmill if there is not at least one empty treadmill between me and another person, and if there is, I'll go to the other side of the entrance - it has a solid wall in front of its arc trainers and one treadmill, but is usually emptier. And if I'm on a treadmill and someone gets on the one next to me, I get nervous and tense. I live in a small town so I'm not used to sacrificing personal space. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: June 11, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
I find gym etiquette to be quite odd personally.  I'm not in any shape to really talk, but I have an exercise bike and some dumbells with a bench and mat in my basement so that when I do want a work out, I don't need to be subjected to the social experiment of working out fairly publicly.  Now, for those who love working out, it makes sense, but the things my friends talk about in the gym just make me cringe sometimes.  Like people all taking pictures and the attitudes and disrespect with sharing equipment.  Probably some of it is over blown, but the gym is not my scene.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2251 on: June 11, 2019, 01:41:15 PM »
I find gym etiquette to be quite odd personally.  I'm not in any shape to really talk, but I have an exercise bike and some dumbells with a bench and mat in my basement so that when I do want a work out, I don't need to be subjected to the social experiment of working out fairly publicly.  Now, for those who love working out, it makes sense, but the things my friends talk about in the gym just make me cringe sometimes.  Like people all taking pictures and the attitudes and disrespect with sharing equipment.  Probably some of it is over blown, but the gym is not my scene.

That stuff sucks, and I hate whenever I run into someone I know at the gym. They want to talk, they want to lift together, and I'm just like, no. I prefer to do everything solo at the gym. If I was a powerlifter lifting super heavy weights I'd need a spotter, but for everything I do I go solo. Listening to some of the gym rats in there bro it up and grunt like they're taking a pineapple up the ass is embarrassing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2252 on: June 11, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
Out of Office replies to e-mails that read something to the effect of "I'm out of the office with limited access to emails or my phone"

No....no, you don't have limited access. Maybe in some rare case if someone is backpacking in the Rockies.....but....in this day and age with smart phones, wifi etc etc....you don't have limited access.

Now, I don't have an issue with you taking a vacation day/week...whatever. Just don't lie about having limited access. My out of office reply always says the same thing  "I'm out of the office on PTO and will return on _____"    I make sure to arrange things with co-workers if I need to or have a plan in place....but I never BS and say I have limited access because it's not true. I'm reading the emails and listening to the voice mails....I'm just not responding because I'm off work folks.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: June 11, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Out of Office replies to e-mails that read something to the effect of "I'm out of the office with limited access to emails or my phone"

No....no, you don't have limited access. Maybe in some rare case if someone is backpacking in the Rockies.....but....in this day and age with smart phones, wifi etc etc....you don't have limited access.

Now, I don't have an issue with you taking a vacation day/week...whatever. Just don't lie about having limited access. My out of office reply always says the same thing  "I'm out of the office on PTO and will return on _____"    I make sure to arrange things with co-workers if I need to or have a plan in place....but I never BS and say I have limited access because it's not true. I'm reading the emails and listening to the voice mails....I'm just not responding because I'm off work folks.

Who knows? That S&M dungeon they're in might have wifi jammers.  You never know.  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2254 on: June 11, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »
I just find that as being someone who is polite and not turning away work completely.  I don't know, it doesn't bother me.  I don't even put an OOO notice on my email, I put it in our calendar and I'm not here, if you ping me or email me, I may or may not see it but I'm very unlikely to respond unless it's something I really can and need to help with.  That's just me though. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: June 11, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
I had that debate with my boss; he ALWAYS puts an out of office note up, and I never did.  For him, it's a remnant of being in a law firm and (later) in a corporate office, so he would do that to let those that might want to "walk in" to his office have notice.  Now we both (largely) work out of our home offices, so it's not really necessary.

I also don't carry the work phone 24-7 like I used to, though, so I will sometimes put it up in order to buy a day or so. "I'm out of the office Tuesday, June 11, returning Wednesday, June 12, and will reply to your message at that time. If you have an emergency before then, please call El Barto at 555-867-5309."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: June 11, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »
I just find that as being someone who is polite and not turning away work completely.  I don't know, it doesn't bother me.  I don't even put an OOO notice on my email, I put it in our calendar and I'm not here, if you ping me or email me, I may or may not see it but I'm very unlikely to respond unless it's something I really can and need to help with.  That's just me though.

Sure, I get it. But...for me...it's almost like apologizing for taking off work. Like, creating an excuse why you won't respond right away but giving you the option to respond. IMO there's no need to explain anything other than 'hey, I'm off until ____, I'll be in tough then'.  It's the phrase 'limited access' that I think bugs me because one thing our society is...is NOT limited access. It's actually the opposite.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: June 11, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
Some people just treat work and view work differently than others.  I'm cool saying fuck off work, it's my day don't bother me.  Some aren't.  I have the entire month of September off because after 5 years here I've earned a 3 week sabatical as per company policy. My one friend said he wouldn't use it if he had one because it looks bad to management.  I think he's an idiot, but hey that's the way he thinks about work.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: June 11, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
Some people just treat work and view work differently than others.  I'm cool saying fuck off work, it's my day don't bother me.  Some aren't.  I have the entire month of September off because after 5 years here I've earned a 3 week sabatical as per company policy. My one friend said he wouldn't use it if he had one because it looks bad to management.  I think he's an idiot, but hey that's the way he thinks about work.

Yeah. My brother and I work for the same company, he runs the warehouse and I work in the 'corporate' office part. He NEVER takes off days because of some sense of 'duty' or that he thinks the place will crumble without him. Me, I'll use my vacation days as I see fit. I have no issues detaching from my job. I don't do it irresponsibly....I make sure when I'm taking off that measures are in place on my projects to where things are 'handled'. But, I think you have to use your time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: June 11, 2019, 02:21:24 PM »
It's policy so I can't see being harmed negatively from taking your time off.  My team is so pinched on personal, I kind of love it when shit hits the bed on my off days and it shows how unmanned we are.  Last year I took two weeks off to go to Florida and while I was gone, they had to fly in my coworker from LA to handle all the extra work that came in while I was gone.  So ridiculous.  I am curious what happens this September.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: June 11, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »

That stuff sucks, and I hate whenever I run into someone I know at the gym. They want to talk, they want to lift together, and I'm just like, no. I prefer to do everything solo at the gym. If I was a powerlifter lifting super heavy weights I'd need a spotter, but for everything I do I go solo. Listening to some of the gym rats in there bro it up and grunt like they're taking a pineapple up the ass is embarrassing.

Let's lift together
Right now

Maybe it's limited access because I just may or may not give a fuck about answering that? Like I've read your e-mail, I know it's there, but I have limited access because I'm currently sitting in a bar in another country and I can't be bothered answering the whole thing? I think it doesn't have to be strictly technically limited access. Like my hand is holding a beer tankard and can't reach for the phone. I don't know.

Granted, I'm playing the devil's advocate because I just usually turn off my phone for my vacations, especially when I'm abroad. In 2017 it was hilarious, I told all my superiors I'll be available from Monday to Thursday and then I'll be boarding a plane Friday morning and don't even try to call me then, my phone will be turned off. Then I'm literally walking up the ramp to the plane and I get a call from my boss. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2261 on: June 11, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »

I think many used the "limited access" phrase because it sounds nicer than "I am off work and ain't checking or replying to a damn thing till I am back in the office." :lol :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2262 on: June 11, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
I don't know, I certainly experience limited access from time to time.  For example, a hotel that doesn't have wifi. Or the wifi is so bad it takes 30 minutes for my emails to even load. I remember a hotel that only had wifi in the lobby. That certainly counts as limited access - when I'm on vacation I check in when I can, but don't necessarily have access 24-7.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2263 on: June 11, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »
Kind of like on DTF when someone says "Check your PM's", like there isn't a (1) next to My Messages.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
When a restaurant advertises their Ribs as "Fall off the bone", but when you get it, its stiff, hard and unsatisfying.

I think advertising that your ribs "fall off the bone" is pretty much a guarantee that they'll be crap.

My irritating item of the day:  when someone sends you an email and then immediately calls you and says, "did you see my email"?

My co worker does this, except instead of calling he walks over to my desk and asks. He also asks me if I read any emails from the night prior, no I haven’t, when I leave at five my work phone goes off unless I’m on call. If there is an emergency everyone has my personal number.

There's a guy near me that does this. I don't personally work with him, but I hear him all day. Last week I heard the following over the course of 5 minutes.

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey _______, I just sent you an email. Take a look at it when you get a chance. Thanks."

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey _______, I just called your desk phone and you weren't there. Just thought I'd try you here. I sent you an email. Take a look at it for me. Thanks." 

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey _______. Sorry to call you at home. I just called your work cell and you didn't answer. Just thought I'd try you here. I sent you an email. Take a look at it for me. Thanks." 

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey *wife of person he's trying to call". Sorry to bother you. I just called ________ three times and h didn't answer. Just thought I'd try you. Can you tell him I sent him a voicemail Thanks."   

I know the guy he was trying to get a hold of and I asked him about it on Friday. The guy making the call was trying to add the interns that are starting in two weeks to a user group. Nothing pressing. Nothing urgent. Nothing that's going to impact the company's stock price... and he calls the dude's wife trying to reach him. I'd be livid.

Lol do you work at the company I do, my coworker has been struggling with ad groups for interns for the past two weeks :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2265 on: June 11, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »
Ok...here's a new one.

I have a friend who is an agent with one of the major national insurance companies.  I have a renter's policy through her and previously also had my family's auto policy through her, but we've been with another company for the past several years because it's several hundred dollars a year cheaper.  Every once in a while, she checks in and I tell her it's still not close.  She typically points out that they have better customer service, and I tell her that (1) I've had satisfactory/good claim experience with the current insurer, and (2) it's 98% about the premium (and the current insurer is not exactly some fly-by-night company).

All that is fine, but yesterday, she sent me a new quote through the company server (i.e., not just an email saying, "hey, we can cover you for $X per 6 months period").  I noticed it and, it not being any sort of priority for me, I figured I'd look at it over the weekend (and I doubt it will be any better).  Barely 24 hours later, I got a follow up email saying, "So...is [current company] still beating us?"  She's a friend, so the tone of the email was fine, but for fuck's sake, I'll get back to you when I get back to you.  I know your job is to sell insurance, but don't bug me!  Of course, if she starts calling or texting or contacting the wife, then I may give her a figurative slap on the wrist....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2266 on: June 12, 2019, 07:03:18 AM »

:lol acceptable is she is  :hat

Unfortunately that was not the case. Grandma age.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2267 on: June 12, 2019, 08:15:20 AM »

This cannot go unappreciated.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: June 12, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »
All it needs is the final panel where Mr. Blue Shirt says, "I vape."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2269 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »
All it needs is the final panel where Mr. Blue Shirt says, "I like Power Windows."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: June 12, 2019, 08:19:36 AM »
All it needs is the final panel where Mr. Blue Shirt says, "I like Power Windows."

:tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: June 12, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »

:tup

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2272 on: June 14, 2019, 12:35:00 AM »
I’m picking up my in-laws from a small town airport, and the drop off/pick up area is four lanes across. You are only supposed to pick up, of course, from the far right lane. There’s one couple with their car parked in the lane second from the left, and they’re standing behind this car making out. What the hell?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: June 14, 2019, 06:35:40 AM »
Dude, don't get me started; the drop-off at Bradley in Hartford is a Darwin-esque steel cage match.   Some of these people have literally no shame (I don't mean about making out, I mean about just doing what they please regardless of the signs or flow of traffic) and apparently no sense of general safety and well-being.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: June 14, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
Usually the cops show up quickly in EWR if that happens, and it does.  A lot of airports have waiting areas just outside the airport terminal area.  It's used for Uber to wait there to get a pick up call, but if you can find these spots, it's good for picking up your buddy who's waiting for his luggage but told you he'd be ready 15 minutes ago.