Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309311 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2205 on: June 06, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
when you fart at work and you're not sure if it was dry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2206 on: June 06, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »

Or when you fart a bad one at work when you’re alone in your small work area and someone walks in.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2207 on: June 06, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
When people pee on the toilet seat and don’t clean it up when they’re done.

It's amazing how bad bathroom etiquette is even in the work environment

ESPECIALLY in the work environment.  I don't know if they live like that at home, or they just expect someone to clean up after them.  But it's worse.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2208 on: June 06, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »

Or when you fart a bad one at work when you’re alone in your small work area and someone walks in.

Gotta have steering winds at all times to disperse the green cloud.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #2209 on: June 06, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »

ESPECIALLY in the work environment.  I don't know if they live like that at home, or they just expect someone to clean up after them.  But it's worse.

Very true!  The floor around the urinals at work is always either wet with piss or sticky with dried piss.  This is in a professional office, mind you, with no public access.  I have two teenage boys at home who can aim way better than my adult colleagues, apparently.
PBR me ASAP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2210 on: June 06, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »

This is the crux of it. I hate knowing I work with people like this, but so many people in my office have the attitude that there are people in society that are "beneath" them. Not just in societal status, but in how they should be treated as a human being. Performing an action that, in their eyes, lets someone know their place is how they mentally get off.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: June 06, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »

This is the crux of it. I hate knowing I work with people like this, but so many people in my office have the attitude that there are people in society that are "beneath" them. Not just in societal status, but in how they should be treated as a human being. Performing an action that, in their eyes, lets someone know their place is how they mentally get off.

I was wondering if that was "it" like the reason why the bathrooms at work are a disaster.  I just don't get it, but to think you are above the cleaning staff is just lame.  I mean, sure maybe you make more but that type of mentality is such a crock of shit.  I have one friend who really rubs me off that he always thinks he's above everyone.  I don't get it.  That attitude is so douche. It's impossible to have an argument about anything with him either because he's always right. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2212 on: June 06, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
That's why I've come to appreciate the Japanese set up, AKA hole in the ground  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2213 on: June 06, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
I work from home. I relish the fact that I know I'm the one that does the most damage (visual, and scent-ual) to the toilet.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: June 06, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »

It really is

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #2215 on: June 06, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
  I have one friend who really rubs me off

Wow, that’s a good friend! ;D
PBR me ASAP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2216 on: June 06, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »

:lol

And that's mildly irritating?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: June 06, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
There are lubrications for that sort of thing.

We switched to an open office floor plan in a new building on Monday. 

My previous employer did that right after I left. My friends who are still there hate it. I imagine I would hate it as well. It sounds stupid and pointless, an HR/EVP-type idea on how to change things for the "better" when it doesn't affect them in any way. How do you feel about it?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: June 07, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »

:lol

And that's mildly irritating?

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2219 on: June 07, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »
I haven't been in an open floor plan for decades, and I HATE it.   At least being a lawyer I can make the claim that I have sensitive materials that aren't for public consumption, but that doesn't always work.  But I hate it; I spend a lot of time on the phone, negotiating, and sometimes the negotiations are pleasant discussions and sometimes they are not.  I can't be worried about whether my voice is carrying or not when I'm trying to make a point.   Playing "bad cop" while whispering kind of doesn't work. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2220 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
I went to a guy's home recently and he reconstructed the entire home to be open floor plan. You'd walk around the outer wall of the house to reach the bedroom, and it's totally open, no doors or anything. TV mounted on the stone wall, and behind that wall is an open shower. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

But in the workplace? Oh hell no.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: June 07, 2019, 09:32:05 AM »
Our office (which I don't work in) is all open floor.  No cubicles or offices anywhere.  Well, our new CEO might have an office, but the original founder and CEO did not, he worked on a bench like everyone else.  There's conference rooms and now they have like phone booths for conference calls or just your own calls for situations like Stadlers.

I don't really like it.  I find out office which is supposed to be such a cool space, there's a basketball court (well, it's like 1/3 of one) open kitchens with big store like fridges stocked that you can just grab whatever you want, baskets of snacks, you name it.  Supposed to be cool and friendly environment.

I just found that image on our website for hiring so it looks all fun and all.

However, I absolutely hate going to the office.  It's so eerily quiet in reality.  Everyone is in close proximity and no one is talking.  You have to go onto our chat app to see the people sitting next to each other chatting in the app and not in person.  It's weird, now it makes sense because those chats are "public" (within confines of the company obvi) so that the people on another floor can see what's happening, but it just feels so odd to me. 

I work remotely in our data center so I have a shared office here with my coworker.  I think everyone in the office would be jealous if they saw our set up here.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2222 on: June 07, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »

I'm marking my territory
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: June 07, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
I’d hate an open floor plan, one of the buildings in downtown has an open floor plan and I’m so happy they didn’t decide to move our team there.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2224 on: June 08, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »
When a restaurant advertises their Ribs as "Fall off the bone", but when you get it, its stiff, hard and unsatisfying.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: June 08, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
I don't know if it's a New England thing or not, but I know I tend to stay away from those places that advertise like that.   It always seems to whiff of desperation.   The best places are the ones that are head-down, focus on the food and let the rest take care of itself.

I know when I go to NYC, occasionally I will head down to Little Italy, and there are about 15 or so Italian places in that three block area around Mulberry Street.  Many of them have a guy out on the sidewalk holding a menu and "selling".   PASS.   I go to a place like Benito One, no consierge, just a couple staff, the owner and his - I think - son, and it's the best Italian I think I've ever had, for about $15 a plate.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: June 09, 2019, 08:38:29 AM »
ugh yea not a fan of the salesman on the street for restaurants when you are at a touristy spot like Little Italy's main street and also like Ocean Drive in south beach Miami although those are often attractive sales ladies, but still really annoying

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2227 on: June 10, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
When a restaurant advertises their Ribs as "Fall off the bone", but when you get it, its stiff, hard and unsatisfying.

I think advertising that your ribs "fall off the bone" is pretty much a guarantee that they'll be crap.

My irritating item of the day:  when someone sends you an email and then immediately calls you and says, "did you see my email"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: June 10, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
My irritating item of the day:  when someone sends you an email and then immediately calls you and says, "did you see my email"?

Related but in different positions: leaving somebody a voicemail and then they call back asking what you want and you ask, "Did you get my voicemail?" and they say something to the effect of no/I don't check my voicemail  >:(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: June 10, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
Related but in different positions: leaving somebody a voicemail and then they call back asking what you want and you ask, "Did you get my voicemail?" and they say something to the effect of no/I don't check my voicemail  >:(

I do that when my wife calls and leaves a VM only because I know her VMs go on way too long and I'd rather just get the condensed version straight from her.

getting back to open office plans for a sec.... one thing that bothered me about them was thinking about my last office job. In an 8 hour day I did an average of maybe 4 hours of actual work. The rest of that time was spent (mostly) here, other websites, listening to music, doing crossword puzzles, and staring off in to space. Of course I had to look as though I was busy, but as I did my job well and had the respect of my supervisors, I had some leeway. Regardless, based on the positioning of my desk and monitor, no one could see me posting here all day long, which was the way I wanted it. I don't want anyone able to see my screen at any given time throughout the day.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2230 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »

That's not just mildly irritating that's infuriating to me.   >:( >:( :censored :censored :censored :censored
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:05 PM »

I think advertising that your ribs "fall off the bone" is pretty much a guarantee that they'll be crap.

My co worker does this, except instead of calling he walks over to my desk and asks. He also asks me if I read any emails from the night prior, no I haven’t, when I leave at five my work phone goes off unless I’m on call. If there is an emergency everyone has my personal number.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2232 on: June 10, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »
People who insist that the only safe speed to drive in wet conditions is 5 mph.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: June 10, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »

I do this all of the time to my mom since she's pretty much the only person besides any business that leaves a voicemail and its always "call me" so I never listen to her voice mails, but I'll call her back and she'll ask and I'll say "no, I saw a missed call so I don't really need a voicemail to know to call abck, but did you say anything in the voicemail I should know"... "no"  and that's that  :lol  I don't think I'd call any other number back without listening to the voicemail though just because I most likely hvae no idea why someone is calling me otherwise.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2234 on: June 10, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »

I do that when my wife calls and leaves a VM only because I know her VMs go on way too long and I'd rather just get the condensed version straight from her.

This.  EXACTLY.  Outside of that context, what Kattleox described is truly obnoxious.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2235 on: June 11, 2019, 07:08:10 AM »

My co worker does this, except instead of calling he walks over to my desk and asks. He also asks me if I read any emails from the night prior, no I haven’t, when I leave at five my work phone goes off unless I’m on call. If there is an emergency everyone has my personal number.

There's a guy near me that does this. I don't personally work with him, but I hear him all day. Last week I heard the following over the course of 5 minutes.

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey _______, I just sent you an email. Take a look at it when you get a chance. Thanks."

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey _______, I just called your desk phone and you weren't there. Just thought I'd try you here. I sent you an email. Take a look at it for me. Thanks." 

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey _______. Sorry to call you at home. I just called your work cell and you didn't answer. Just thought I'd try you here. I sent you an email. Take a look at it for me. Thanks." 

Guy makes call and leaves voicemail: "Hey *wife of person he's trying to call". Sorry to bother you. I just called ________ three times and h didn't answer. Just thought I'd try you. Can you tell him I sent him a voicemail Thanks."   

I know the guy he was trying to get a hold of and I asked him about it on Friday. The guy making the call was trying to add the interns that are starting in two weeks to a user group. Nothing pressing. Nothing urgent. Nothing that's going to impact the company's stock price... and he calls the dude's wife trying to reach him. I'd be livid.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2236 on: June 11, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »
I'd be livid.

Wow...just wow.  That is beyond obnoxious.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
That's some low IQ shit

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: June 11, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: June 11, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »
I was once cc'ed on an email to an HR Manager with the subject "ZZZ Flight request for crew member..." I replied to the sender (a friend) asking if she dozed off at the when they started that email. She said the HR Manager sorts her email by the subject column from Z-A so if you want your email to appear at the top of her list you need to start your subject line with Zs.