Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309276 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1820 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
Piling on the internet themed mild annoyances.... when I read how someone/something "broke the internet." On my news feed some I see gymnast did an apparently stellar routine, a ton of "big names" tweeted about it, including Jemele Hill and Jamil Smith (ahem) and this left the internet "broken."

Are Jemele Hill and Jamil Smith supposed to be "big names"?  I've legitimately never heard of either of them.

Far as I’m concerned, only one who broke the internet was Ralph.

:tup :tup

You sound old.

My wife and kids would agree.   ;D

There's only one Aquaman….and he wore orange! ;D

Word.

Yup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1821 on: January 16, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »
One thing that I find mildy irritating is pronunciation. More specific, pronunciation of spoken words in English, but not so much written words though. Sometimes it can get so bad I die a little.
Take for example the opening ceremony of the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2011 in Oslo, Norway. And the Chairman of the championship held a speech, what he said wasnt't bad actually, but rather HOW he said it.
I found it so irritatingly bad I actually felt physically ill during his speech. It is to this day the worst case of Norwegian accent layered atop English spoken words I've heard.

Oh god... I think I might be a grammar nazi, to a certain degree.  :eek  :lol
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1822 on: January 16, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
One thing that I find mildy irritating is pronunciation. More specific, pronunciation of spoken words in English, but not so much written words though.

Huh?  If you're pronouncing something, then it's necessarily spoken -- even if you're reading from something that's written.

Take for example the opening ceremony of the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2011 in Oslo, Norway. And the Chairman of the championship held a speech, what he said wasnt't bad actually, but rather HOW he said it.
I found it so irritatingly bad I actually felt physically ill during his speech. It is to this day the worst case of Norwegian accent layered atop English spoken words I've heard.

Are you supposing that we're going to be familiar with this rather obscure event?

What exactly is the problem you have with pronunciation and, specifically, what the Norwegian dude said (or how he said it)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1823 on: January 16, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Not sure I said this yet or not in this thread, but asswipes at gas stations who buy scratch offs.

I probably step inside an actual gas station once or twice (yay for paying with a credit card at the pump!), and I swear every single time I get stuck behind some degenerate buying 18 different scratch offs. :censored >:(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1824 on: January 17, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »
Not sure I said this yet or not in this thread, but asswipes at gas stations who buy scratch offs.

I probably step inside an actual gas station once or twice (yay for paying with a credit card at the pump!), and I swear every single time I get stuck behind some degenerate buying 18 different scratch offs. :censored >:(

Pointing through the plexiglass case "that one... no, that one, the one to the left" as if the difference between the games was the difference between life and death.  Of course, it's hard to select products for your customers while you're listening to your phone and texting at the same time....  <grumble, grumble>

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
One thing that I find mildy irritating is pronunciation. More specific, pronunciation of spoken words in English, but not so much written words though. Sometimes it can get so bad I die a little.

Oh god... I think I might be a grammar nazi, to a certain degree.  :eek  :lol

I can't really comment, since I probably have the highest "words I know" to "words I can pronounce correctly" ratio of anyone here.  My college friends and I meet every couple weeks or so and go to Capital Grill for a little guys night out.  We were sitting around the table and my friend Mike and I are the only two that really know anything about wine so we get to pick.  Everyone else but me is a brown liquor (bourbon) drinker, so when it came to me to order my meal I ordered the "NY strip au poivre with a Courvoisier sauce" and when I said "steak aw pwav with a cour-voo-say sauce" (it should have been "steak aw-pwah with a cur-vah-zee-ay sauce") two of my friends out loud said "You're a fucking idiot!".  The waitress tried her best not to laugh (not so much at me, but at the reaction I got) but I couldn't really blame her for losing it.

Most of my vocabulary is from reading, so many words I've had to muddle through; the problem with that is if I land on an incorrect pronunciation, I've compounded it by reinforcing the wrong pronunciation making it harder to get it right later.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:24:56 AM by Stadler »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1826 on: January 17, 2019, 08:17:58 AM »
I have words that my brain refuses to say correctly unless I consciously focus on the annunciation of every freaking letter. For example, the word "alpaca". I can not say that word without pronouncing it "al-pal-ca". For what ever reason, my brain thinks there's an extra L in there somewhere. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1827 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
I get the same way with foreign words that Americans....all together....pronounce incorrectly. I'm sure I'm guilty of it too, but since I know how these words are pronounced, I hate hearing them from Americans. Sauna being one. It's three syllables. Not two.

But the biggest ones are Middle Eastern ones. I get that Americans can't make certain sounds, and that's fine. But everyone is pronouncing Hummus, Pita (to a lesser degree), Tehina, Netanyahu, Iraq, Iran, and more words incorrectly. Although I've heard a good amount of people get Iraq and Iran pretty close.

Oh, also it's Mah-ZAHL Tove! Not MAH-zel Tahv. (for pronunciation). Even American Jews get this one wrong way too often.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1828 on: January 17, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
I have no idea what the correct pronunciation of those words are, but if you are saying Americans all together pronounce them wrong, then maybe that's just the way it is? 

For example, we call Germany, Germany, but Germans call it Deutschland.  Sure different words, but they mean the same thing.  You say Tomato, I say Tomato type of thing. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1829 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
I dunno.  I guess as I think through it, I'm a bit of a hypocrite in how and when I get peeved about pronunciation and when I'm willing to give a pass.  But there IS somewhat of a method to the madness.  I never (or VERY rarely) get the slightest bit irritated hearing an American mispronounce a foreign word they might not have good reason to know the proper pronunciation for, or a foreigner mispronouncing an English word.  This doesn't bother me at all:
I get the same way with foreign words that Americans....all together....pronounce incorrectly.
On the other hand, Americans pronouncing English words incorrectly drives me batty, especially when done with an air of indifference.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1830 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
I have no idea what the correct pronunciation of those words are, but if you are saying Americans all together pronounce them wrong, then maybe that's just the way it is? 

For example, we call Germany, Germany, but Germans call it Deutschland.  Sure different words, but they mean the same thing.  You say Tomato, I say Tomato type of thing.

I mean Germany and Deutschland are different words even with the same meaning. It's not a matter of pronunciation. For instance, in English the city I'm from is Jerusalem. In Hebrew, it's Yerusheliam. Similar, but I don't care that Americans say Jerusalem. It's the English version. Not a matter of pronunciation.

Hummus and hummus are the same word. But Americans are pronouncing it incorrectly, whether it's the Arab or Israeli pronunciation. And I don't like the idea that just because everyone is wrong, then it's suddenly fine.

The first U in hummus is pronounced more like OO mixed with a U. It's hard to write out, but easy to actually say. Pita has a hard T in there, not a D. Iraq is not pronounced Eye-rack. Iran is not pronounced Eye-ran. No matter how many people pronounce it that way. Etc. It just bugs me. I get people don't like being told they're doing it wrong, and it's easy to keep doing things the way you know, especially if everyone else is doing it that way too, but it still bugs me cause I know it's wrong.

Like I said, there's probably a million words I'm saying incorrectly. But if someone were to correct me, I wouldn't say "meh, I'll do what I want".  Unless it's Stadler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: January 17, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
Yea, different words I understand so it wasn't making my point, but tomato tomAto? they are both accepted as correct so i don't see why hummus or whatever other words also can't be considered correct pronounciatons considering we are a different location than where the word originates from (that's kind of more of the germany point).

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #1832 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:54 AM »

Are you supposing that we're going to be familiar with this rather obscure event?

What exactly is the problem you have with pronunciation and, specifically, what the Norwegian dude said (or how he said it)?
[/quote]

You don't need to know about the event either. It was just the first example I could think of since the World Ski Championships (including competitions in cross country skiing) is such a big part of Norwegian culture. Think of it this way, I would guess this sporting event is as important to Norway as the finals in the Stanley Cup or Super Bowl. But you could compare my reaction to a really, really bad cringe to get a sense of what I felt at the time.

I haven't really given much thought to what my problem with pronunciations is. But so far I've only seen it as a problem isolated to Norwegians, since I surprisingly have no issues with people from other nations speaking English with an accent of their own native language on top. But this doesn't happen all the time, some times when I hear other Norwegians speak in English I don't pay attention, and therefore don't react.
The more I think about it, the stranger it gets.  :facepalm: ::)

"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Online Adami

« Reply #1833 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »
Yea, different words I understand so it wasn't making my point, but tomato tomAto? they are both accepted as correct so i don't see why hummus or whatever other words also can't be considered correct pronounciatons considering we are a different location than where the word originates from (that's kind of more of the germany point).

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1834 on: January 17, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »

Pointing through the plexiglass case "that one... no, that one, the one to the left" as if the difference between the games was the difference between life and death.  Of course, it's hard to select products for your customers while you're listening to your phone and texting at the same time....  <grumble, grumble>

I see the lottery ticket thing more often at 7-11 or sundry shops in some office building.  In addition to what Kev mentioned, the people who really piss me off are those who feel the need to immediately scratch off their tickets and take up counter space without any concept that there are people in line behind them who want to put their crap down on the counter and check out.

Stadler's comment about the plexiglass pointing reminds me of when I worked at Baskin-Robbins 30-something years ago.  The cases had a narrow metal counter at the top that generally prevented the employees from seeing customers' hands when they would point, so we had to guess which of the four tubs someone was pointing at.  It got to the point that I would sometimes walk around to the other side of the counter to see the person was pointing at and then say, "oh, you mean mint chocolate chip," while pointing at the label.

You don't need to know about the event either. It was just the first example I could think of since the World Ski Championships (including competitions in cross country skiing) is such a big part of Norwegian culture. Think of it this way, I would guess this sporting event is as important to Norway as the finals in the Stanley Cup or Super Bowl. But you could compare my reaction to a really, really bad cringe to get a sense of what I felt at the time.

I haven't really given much thought to what my problem with pronunciations is. But so far I've only seen it as a problem isolated to Norwegians, since I surprisingly have no issues with people from other nations speaking English with an accent of their own native language on top. But this doesn't happen all the time, some times when I hear other Norwegians speak in English I don't pay attention, and therefore don't react.

I still have no idea what you're talking about.  You cited, as an example, an event -- which I understand to be prominent in Norway, but which is obscure most everywhere else -- but didn't tell us what happened at that event that you found irritating.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: January 17, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »
On the other hand, Americans pronouncing English words incorrectly drives me batty, especially when done with an air of indifference.

This, for me.  Especially when I've been corrected for pronouncing the words correctly.   "Forte" was originally pronounced "fort", and so that's what I sometimes do, and I've been corrected with the more common but less accurate "for-tay", and I usually say "ur" for "err", not the more common "air". 

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #1836 on: January 19, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »

I still have no idea what you're talking about.  You cited, as an example, an event -- which I understand to be prominent in Norway, but which is obscure most everywhere else -- but didn't tell us what happened at that event that you found irritating.
[/quote]

You know what, just scratch everything I have written about pronunciations, and I'll simplify it a bit.

One thing I find more than midly irritating is mispronunciation of English words, or having a really thick native accent when someone tries to speak English and they have no real justifiable reason to do so.

Happy now, pg1067?   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1837 on: January 19, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
One thing I find more than midly irritating is mispronunciation of English words, or having a really thick native accent when someone tries to speak English and they have no real justifiable reason to do so.

Happy now, pg1067?   

Not sure why my happiness is relevant.  I was just trying to understand what you were saying.

Online Adami

« Reply #1838 on: January 19, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
Isn't having an accent a justifiable reason to pronounce things with an accent?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #1839 on: January 20, 2019, 05:17:12 AM »
Isn't having an accent a justifiable reason to pronounce things with an accent?

Well, yes and no. The accent is part of anyones identity, so I can agree with you. And just enough of your own accent is ok when speaking English as your second language. But at the same time, when that accent becomes too thick it can potentially be bad imo. Especially when a person comes from a country with historically great skills at adopting a fluent English accent (i.e. sounding exactly like a person coming from for example any place in England.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1840 on: January 25, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »

This, for me.  Especially when I've been corrected for pronouncing the words correctly.   "Forte" was originally pronounced "fort", and so that's what I sometimes do, and I've been corrected with the more common but less accurate "for-tay", and I usually say "ur" for "err", not the more common "air". 

Well, but I think for most if not all of those examples, those are just different regional pronunciations, aren't they?

Going back to the general genre of Internet clickbait:  [picture of hot chick] + [clickbait headline that has nothing to do with said picture of hot chick] + [actual article probably has nothing to do with either the headline or the pic]
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1841 on: January 25, 2019, 07:24:09 PM »
Going back to the general genre of Internet clickbait:  [picture of hot chick] + [clickbait headline that has nothing to do with said picture of hot chick] + [actual article probably has nothing to do with either the headline or the pic]

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1842 on: January 26, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »
I find it doubly irritating that I almost fall for that crap every time. OOoo... a hot chick. I need to see what this is about!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1843 on: January 26, 2019, 03:07:11 PM »
I find it doubly irritating that I almost fall for that crap every time. OOoo... a hot chick. I need to see what this is about!

Ditto. I've now realized hot chick thumbnails are only in the article/video 10% of the time. Tops.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1844 on: February 06, 2019, 03:11:26 PM »
TSA

I understand you have a shitty job. I understand you deal with the public that most of the time doesn't seem to have a clue. I understand that you just went through a period where you weren't getting paid for your work.

But they need to be way more consistent with the rules and not get pissed off at people for asking questions or not knowing whether they should move or not.

I was going through the line at MSP the other day. I had a backpack with laptop and iPad in it, and obviously my shoes. I asked the agent. Do I need to put my iPad and laptop in separate bins? She rolled her eyes. "What do you think?"

I put them in separate bins and then proceeded to put my shoes in another bin and backpack in a separate bin. She comes back over and starts yelling at me for using four bins. Maybe next time she should tell me what I'm supposed to do instead of being incredibly rude.

The guy in front of me took his hat off and put it in a bin before going through the scanner. Same lady:

Hey! Hey! Hey! You need to take this with you through the scanner! What makes you think it needs to go through the conveyor belt.

My brother wore a hat and took his off and didn't get yelled at.

I was waiting to go through the scanner and all of a sudden the metal detector line opens up. I didn't want to move because I've learned if you make one wrong step, they'll be yelling at you.

So I don't move and the TSA agent goes: "C'mon what are you waiting for?" I go through the metal detector and he doesn't say anything when I go through so I stopped. I stand there and he too rolls his eyes: "Keep moving!"

I've had good TSA experiences elsewhere, but I've had more bad. I understand they have a shitty job, but stop yelling at the people that ask questions and start having consistency.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: February 07, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
I absolutely do not hesitate to see a supervisor in that case.   I rarely, if ever, get into personal confrontations in situations like that - my immediate response is usually some self-deprecating or interpersonal bonding humor - but if it's that blatant I have no problem in talking to a supervisor.  It's none of that reality TV nonsense about "being disrespected" or anything like that (I could give a shit, frankly) but rather a practical concern.  That's a customer service job, and the smoother they are the smoother the process is.  The smoother the process is, the SAFER the process is (though let's be clear: I'm in the camp that the TSA screening process is more show than go). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: February 07, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
Yea, but lets be honest, what does talking to the supervisor do for the TSA besides make you wait even longer?

At the end of the day, the TSA does a pretty bad job (not just in customer service, but in actually detecting bombs and guns) and I kind of just accept it, be nice and move along.  I've seen plenty of people get mad at TSA and none of it ever goes anywhere besides the person continuing to be mad and leaving to their flight.

I did get yelled at Monday morning, they had the dogs to sniff you so when that happens you don't need to take your shoes off, well I did anyway out of habit and I got yelled at by the TSA agent "I SAID DO NOT TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF!!!" OK whatever.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: February 07, 2019, 08:05:47 AM »
I agree with cram, talking to a manager will most likely just hold people up.

Of course TSA is a shit show. Most tsa employees make 30-40k a year to deal with thousands of people and apply arbitrary rules to a mass of people that rarely flies.

A lot of people go full retard at airports, just look at any gate that’s boarding and notice the mass of passengers in group 8 cluster around the gate when group 1 is called.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1848 on: February 07, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »
We could have a whole separate thread about obnoxious air traveling experiences!

My personal biggest pet peeve are the people (mostly women) who seem to think "one carry on and one personal item" means (1) a gigantic overstuffed suitcase that barely squeezes into the overhead compartment with significant force, (2) whatever bags can be attached to the aforesaid overstuffed suitcase, (3) a purse, (4) several small to mid-sized shopping bags, and (5) a jacket suitable for a polar expedition (despite the fact that the person is flying from Florida to southern California).  Inevitably, this same person is also wearing multiple sweaters and a scarf and wants to strip all of that off almost immediately after sitting down.

Pet peeve number 2 are folks with backpacks on only shoulder who don't seem to realize that wearing the back pack that way causes it to bounce off the aisle seat (which is where I almost always sit).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: February 07, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »
We could have a whole separate thread about obnoxious air traveling experiences!

My personal biggest pet peeve are the people (mostly women) who seem to think "one carry on and one personal item" means (1) a gigantic overstuffed suitcase that barely squeezes into the overhead compartment with significant force, (2) whatever bags can be attached to the aforesaid overstuffed suitcase, (3) a purse, (4) several small to mid-sized shopping bags, and (5) a jacket suitable for a polar expedition (despite the fact that the person is flying from Florida to southern California).  Inevitably, this same person is also wearing multiple sweaters and a scarf and wants to strip all of that off almost immediately after sitting down.

Pet peeve number 2 are folks with backpacks on only shoulder who don't seem to realize that wearing the back pack that way causes it to bounce off the aisle seat (which is where I almost always sit).

Add to that the people that dress as if "airplane" means "my bedroom an hour before bedtime, or 30 minutes after I wake up" and you have the holy trifecta of air travel. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: February 07, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
I think by and large TSA agents to a reasonable job all things considered. I have flown a couple times recently with a one year old and they have all been polite and accommodating.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: February 07, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »
I dont think people flying in PJs really bothers me unless its like dirty ad you are sitting next to me. I do wonder why some females fly in short skirts. I cant imagine that being comfortable but what do I know. Temps on planes are so varied, sometimes it's so hot and sometimes so cold. I always dress very neutral, pants and tshirt with a light jacket in my backpack if needed.

What I really really really cant stand are the people who try to be the first off the plane yet they are in the back. Wait your turn.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1852 on: February 07, 2019, 12:17:49 PM »
I used to think "what idiots" to the people who stand up as soon as a flight is over, then wait in the isle for 10 minutes while the plane empties.  Well I'm sure most of them are indeed idiots LOL, but the older I get, I do find I am looking forward to getting up out of that seat after 3-4 hours and stretching the legs/cracking the back.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: February 07, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »
Nothing wrong with standing and grabbing your stuff IMO, it's the ones who push their way through the aisle.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1854 on: February 07, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
Nothing wrong with standing and grabbing your stuff IMO, it's the ones who push their way through the aisle.

Oh yeah that’s a douhebag move, assuming they don’t have some type of emergency happening like a connecting flight leaving. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29