Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 309770 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1365 on: August 21, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
Snow Dog, there's nothing wrong with saying "Hey, I came in to buy some strings, but it's been a while and I want to check out the guitars. I'm cool, thank you."
That's what I would've said.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1366 on: August 21, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
Snow Dog, there's nothing wrong with saying "Hey, I came in to buy some strings, but it's been a while and I want to check out the guitars. I'm cool, thank you."
That's what I would've said.

And this is also true, especially the second time around. I just figured my first “Just looking,” would have been enough. It obviously wasn’t. I think the irritation came in where he literally asked me again five minutes later after I said I was good, but yes, a clearer response like this would have been better.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1367 on: August 21, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
I hate bothersome salespeople. Usually when they approach, I always state my intent and say that I will let them know if I have a question.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: August 21, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »
I have been watching the Little League World Series for 50 Years and have always been irritated that there is a US bracket and an international bracket.   If you want a fair tournament, have all teams be in a random draw.  If an American team makes the final, they earned it.

Don't hold your breath.

I find it amusing that Little League gets all the publicity when, in my opinion, the game played in PONY leagues is far superior in pretty much every way.  Kids who are 11-13 yo playing on 60' bases and 200' fences is ridiculous.

Dang I thought I was the only person that felt this way! I started playing baseball when I was 5 so I recall the progression of levels. Yes, playing Little League is like being in remedial math when the other kids your age are in trigonometry.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1369 on: August 22, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
If find the use of the acronym STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) to be irritating. It's like a classic one of these things is not like the other. STEM makes complete sense. All of them are related. Art is hugely important, I get that. But it has nothing to do with the desire to make kids better at STEM subjects. I don't understand why someone thought it was important to throw art in with them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:22:03 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1370 on: August 22, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
If find the use of the acronym STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) to be irritating. It's like a classic one of these things is not like the other. STEM makes complete sense. All of them are related. Art is hugely important, I get that. But it has nothing to do with the desire to make kids better at STEM subjects. I don't understand why someone thought it was important to through art in with them.

Because artists look at the world in ways that many others can't, especially engineers.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1371 on: August 22, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
I have been watching the Little League World Series for 50 Years and have always been irritated that there is a US bracket and an international bracket.   If you want a fair tournament, have all teams be in a random draw.  If an American team makes the final, they earned it.

Don't hold your breath.

I find it amusing that Little League gets all the publicity when, in my opinion, the game played in PONY leagues is far superior in pretty much every way.  Kids who are 11-13 yo playing on 60' bases and 200' fences is ridiculous.

Dang I thought I was the only person that felt this way! I started playing baseball when I was 5 so I recall the progression of levels. Yes, playing Little League is like being in remedial math when the other kids your age are in trigonometry.

When I was a kid, I played in a Little League from age 7-12.  After aging out of that league, some kids went and played "Pony-Colt" at a very nearby league, which had Pony and Colt level leagues (the "Pony" level being distinguished from the governing body, "PONY").  I don't believe the PONY league had kids playing at the younger levels because pretty much everyone in the area played at my Little League.  Anyway, I didn't realize until my own kid started playing baseball that not all "little leagues" were "Little Leagues":  that "Little League" was a governing body and that "PONY" was a different governing body (and that there's yet a third governing body:  "Cal Ripken"/"Babe Ruth").

My son played his last season of PONY ball in 2017 (he was 14 when the season started and turned 15 before it ended).  When he was 11/12, he was playing on 70' bases, and the fences were maybe 200' down the lines, but much deeper in the alleys and in centerfield.  At the 13/14 level, the bases were 80' (with some leagues having 90' bases), and the fences topped out just shy of 300'.  We were watching one of the Little League games this past weekend, and I said that I thought he and some of the kids he played with would have destroyed these Little League kids, and he just laughed.  I also may or may not have called one of the kids a "moron" for botching a rundown, which made my son laugh even more.  ;-)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1372 on: August 22, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
Changing the subject...

When people use a term of art, or a specific term, incorrectly to make a point that is not only NOT made, but purposefully excluded from the term of art. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1373 on: August 22, 2018, 04:09:30 PM »
Changing the subject...

When people use a term of art, or a specific term, incorrectly to make a point that is not only NOT made, but purposefully excluded from the term of art.

I just ran that through Google translate and put it on the Stadler to English settings, and my computer shut down.

WTf'nF did you say? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1374 on: August 22, 2018, 05:28:13 PM »
Changing the subject...

I just ran that through Google translate and put it on the Stadler to English settings, and my computer shut down.

I was wondering the same thing.  I have a feeling it's something more specific than the folks who say "literally" when they mean the exact opposite.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: August 22, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »
If find the use of the acronym STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) to be irritating. It's like a classic one of these things is not like the other. STEM makes complete sense. All of them are related. Art is hugely important, I get that. But it has nothing to do with the desire to make kids better at STEM subjects. I don't understand why someone thought it was important to throw art in with them.

I have (literally) never seen/heard the acronym STEAM.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: August 22, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
Changing the subject...

I was wondering the same thing.  I have a feeling it's something more specific than the folks who say "literally" when they mean the exact opposite.

You asked, so don't blame me, but I was referring to the mass of people screaming that "Donald Trump is now an "UNINDICTED CONSPIRATOR"".   

He is not.  That term means something, specifically, and it does not apply here.    He was specifically NOT named in the indictment of Michael Cohen, and was not at all identified as a conspirator.   If you don't know what the words mean, don't use them. 

Again, you asked. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1377 on: August 22, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
I agree with Stadler. I understand that some people just use some words incorrectly, and they don't know it.

As a therapist, a few that get me are anti-social, psycho and probably a few other mental health terms that people are misusing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1378 on: August 22, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »
Changing the subject...

You asked, so don't blame me, but I was referring to the mass of people screaming that "Donald Trump is now an "UNINDICTED CONSPIRATOR"".   

Oh...yeah, now that you say it, I can't believe I didn't get that in the first place.  :neverusethis:

Online Adami

« Reply #1379 on: August 22, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
It's usually a pretty safe assumption that if Stads is upset, it's either 1) Something social media related, or 2) Something about people who don't like Trump.

So, really, you had a 50/50 shot at assuming it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: August 22, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
I agree with Stadler. I understand that some people just use some words incorrectly, and they don't know it.

As a therapist, a few that get me are anti-social, psycho and probably a few other mental health terms that people are misusing.

You must see that a lot. 

Does it bother you when people refer to others as "narcissists" and "psychopaths" and such?  I know when I was in law school and for a short time after, it was almost impossible to watch lawyer dramas on TV, since very little of it was really that accurate.   I'm over it now, and would rather watch Kelly Giddish than critique fake lawyers on screen for all of five minutes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1381 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:13 PM »
Lyme disease in general, and its rapid expansion and increased prevalence

As an avid hiker that lives in PA, this really sucks. I've dealt with 3 ticks in my lifetime. 2 of which I was able to notice and remove the same day and without issue and one of them left the full blown bullseye rash which I had to take antibiotics for, so yeah. Not huge into this tick related illnesses becoming more widespread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
It's usually a pretty safe assumption that if Stads is upset, it's either 1) Something social media related, or 2) Something about people who don't like Trump.

So, really, you had a 50/50 shot at assuming it.

You're 50/50 right.   ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: August 22, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »

As an avid hiker that lives in PA, this really sucks. I've dealt with 3 ticks in my lifetime. 2 of which I was able to notice and remove the same day and without issue and one of them left the full blown bullseye rash which I had to take antibiotics for, so yeah. Not huge into this tick related illnesses becoming more widespread.

Read "Lab 257".   

Online Adami

« Reply #1384 on: August 22, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »

You must see that a lot. 

Does it bother you when people refer to others as "narcissists" and "psychopaths" and such?  I know when I was in law school and for a short time after, it was almost impossible to watch lawyer dramas on TV, since very little of it was really that accurate.   I'm over it now, and would rather watch Kelly Giddish than critique fake lawyers on screen for all of five minutes.

I usually let arm-chair diagnoses by random people go, simply because if it really bothered me, I'd go completely mad 50 times a day.

And don't even get me started on psychologists in movies/tv shows. Sometimes it's good and right on, but other times I almost want to turn off what I'm watching.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: August 22, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
Does it bother you when people refer to others as "narcissists"

And don't even get me started on psychologists in movies/tv shows. Sometimes it's good and right on...

What are some "good and right on" examples?

Online Adami

« Reply #1386 on: August 22, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »
Oh man, I'm terrible at that. Generally don't keep lists of that stuff in my head. I just remember a few times (not many) I watched something and thought....yes....that's how a therapist would do it. It's rare though.

I think one of the worst one that pops into my head was when Kumar was a therapist on How I Met Your Mother. That dude would get his license revoked....immediately.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: August 23, 2018, 02:35:32 AM »
what about Analyze This?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1388 on: August 23, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »

Read "Lab 257".   

I've always wondered about that. I've never been one for conspiracy theories, but the plum island one seems somewhat plausible. The coverage map radiates from a point of origin that is right where plum island is. And if that is the legit source of tick born disease, then I'm super pissed. Do that type of research in the middle of the ocean or something, not right next to NY ffs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: August 23, 2018, 04:24:56 AM »
Ugh, yea ticks are terrible.  I live in NJ which seems to be tick central from that map.  Had plenty of tick bites as a kid, but I don't play out in the woods so much as an adult so I haven't had many issues, but I did make this video for how to remove a tick (it's legit, but also kind of a joke) from the last time I found one on me and luckily it wasn't sucking on me for too long.

How to Remove A Tick cramx3 style (it's not one of my best videos, but you can a clear idea of whats going on here  :lol)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: August 23, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
Oh man, I'm terrible at that. Generally don't keep lists of that stuff in my head. I just remember a few times (not many) I watched something and thought....yes....that's how a therapist would do it. It's rare though.

I think one of the worst one that pops into my head was when Kumar was a therapist on How I Met Your Mother. That dude would get his license revoked....immediately.

Bull?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1391 on: August 23, 2018, 06:42:55 AM »
I like that show Bull but it bothers me that the man behind the show is Dr. Phil.  Analyze that. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: August 23, 2018, 06:46:05 AM »

Read "Lab 257".   

I've always wondered about that. I've never been one for conspiracy theories, but the plum island one seems somewhat plausible. The coverage map radiates from a point of origin that is right where plum island is. And if that is the legit source of tick born disease, then I'm super pissed. Do that type of research in the middle of the ocean or something, not right next to NY ffs.

I am literally in the blast radius.  I grew up in the New Haven, CT area, and while I'm not a huge beach guy, we went to Fairfield and up the coast (Madison, Clinton) for the beach.  I also lived on Block Island for a while, and to get there from where I was you sailed right by Plum Island (between Plum Island and Fisher Island).  I've been within a mile of that island maybe 100 times.  Obviously, no ticks in the open ocean, but still.   

There's never been any conclusive diagnosis - and the fact of the matter is, it doesn't change one thing - but my father has had severe rheumatoid arthritis since he was about 30 years old (it's rare to get it as bad as he has had it, at that young an age) and since the disease is primarily about an immune system gone awry, he was, shall we say, rather troubled by that book.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: August 23, 2018, 06:47:19 AM »
I like that show Bull but it bothers me that the man behind the show is Dr. Phil.  Analyze that. :lol

I find Dr. Phil fascinating.   Not the same way I find Ritchie Blackmore fascinating, but nonetheless.  I tape (DVR, whatever) his show every day, not so much because I like the guy, but, well, fascinating. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1394 on: August 23, 2018, 07:06:24 AM »

Bull?

Bull? Dunno it.

I also actively don't watch too many shows about therapists. Though, I did hear that In Treatment is pretty good. But like, I want my TV time and work time to be separate.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1395 on: August 23, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
Changing the subject...

He is not.  That term means something, specifically, and it does not apply here.    He was specifically NOT named in the indictment of Michael Cohen, and was not at all identified as a conspirator.   If you don't know what the words mean, don't use them. 

Again, you asked.

Ok.  I don't know anything about that particular situation, but I understand what you're talking about.

The problem (if it can be described as such) with what you're saying is that there are a lot of terms that have specific meanings in a particular field but have somewhat or very different meanings in common parlance.  The one that always bugs me is when people say they "copyrighted" or "trademarked" something.  No you didn't (at least not any time since 1978).  In a technical legal sense, "copyright" and "trademark" are not properly used as verbs.  However, in common parlance, when they are used as such, folks are typically talking about registering a copyright or trademark.

Another one is where folks refer to "cement trucks."  That's not what they are; they're concrete trucks, and concrete and cement aren't the same thing (although cement is an ingredient in concrete).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: August 23, 2018, 11:16:32 AM »
But the two examples you gave are either shorthand, or still convey the same meaning.  My example, the real meaning is exactly the OPPOSITE of what is being implied.    The DoJ, the prosecutors, and Cohen's team (for different reasons) took great pains to NOT name Trump in that indictment and plea.   It is not a coincidence, any more than it's a coincidence that you are alive and your heart is beating.   At least with "cement truck" there is a kernel of truth, and it's a matter of semantics (though as a civil engineer, I applaud your choice of example!!)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1397 on: August 23, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »
At least with "cement truck" there is a kernel of truth, and it's a matter of semantics (though as a civil engineer, I applaud your choice of example!!)

If you'd like, I could talk about rebar clearance and compressive strength and really get you going.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1398 on: August 23, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
:heybaby:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: August 23, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
Pardon me, I need a moment....    :)