Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307713 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1295 on: August 14, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »
This right here is why I don't hate all posts made that involve children doing things.

https://v.redd.it/1wwb0zdtz2g11

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1296 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:44 PM »
Off topic from kids for a moment...

Going to the gym straight from work, taking a treadmill run that felt like death, going home, and as soon as I pull in my driveway, remembering I left my fucking gym bag in the locker back at the gym. On the complete other end of town.

Oh, and treadmill running deserves a special mention too all of its own.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »
I like running but running on a treadmill is the worst. Time moves so slowly on it.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1298 on: August 15, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
I like running but running on a treadmill is the worst. Time moves so slowly on it.

Yeah.....I run quite a bit.....and the treadmill is a last resort....always. Nothing beats running outside and to take it a step further.......Trail Running is for me the most enjoyable way to run.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1299 on: August 15, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

Yeah.....I run quite a bit.....and the treadmill is a last resort....always. Nothing beats running outside and to take it a step further.......Trail Running is for me the most enjoyable way to run.

Treadmill is last resort for me too. Got no choice though since Southern Oregon is too smoky for any outdoor heavy exertion, plus I’m now signed up for the California International Marathon, so I have to train and get some mileage somehow...

I have mixed feelings about trail running. I like it overall, but if the trail has a lot of mud or rocks/roots/stuff for me to trip over or twist my ankle on, I don’t really enjoy it. When I’m running, I just want to go, not worry about where I should place my foot every step. I want to zone out and just get in a rhythm, get where I’m going ASAP. Trail running requires way more concentration and is much slower for me, but the views are also much better. So it’s a mixed bag for me. I prefer road running in general, but a trail run is good for mixing things up if I’m in the mood.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1300 on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
The only way I was able to get myself to consistently run was buy putting a treadmill in the house. That to me is far preferable than going to a gym and much more enjoyable than running outside. I throw on a concert and it goes by in no time.

Also, this summer has been so disgustingly humid, you'll be standing in a puddle of sweat simply by standing still outside. I'll run in the AC please.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: August 15, 2018, 11:37:07 AM »
I'm with you Chino. I can't run more than one block outside without wondering what the hell I am doing. There isn't much enjoyable about running on a treadmill for me but running outside is just a drag all the way around.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1302 on: August 15, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »
I have mixed feelings about trail running. I like it overall, but if the trail has a lot of mud or rocks/roots/stuff for me to trip over or twist my ankle on, I don’t really enjoy it.

Outside of the mud.....the rock/root/ terrain challenge is why I like trail running so much. I like the 'focus' trail running takes as standard 'road' running bores me to death.

Plus, trail running is SO much more of a workout. So the 5 Mile loop I run at a local State Park is 'only' 5 Miles but it's a kick butt workout to boot....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1303 on: August 15, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
The only way I was able to get myself to consistently run was buy putting a treadmill in the house. That to me is far preferable than going to a gym and much more enjoyable than running outside. I throw on a concert and it goes by in no time.

Also, this summer has been so disgustingly humid, you'll be standing in a puddle of sweat simply by standing still outside. I'll run in the AC please.

Me too.  Throw on a DVD and I was off and, well, running.   :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1304 on: August 15, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »

We better take it to the fitness thread before we're chastised for going off topic.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1305 on: August 15, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to relax in my recliner.   Geez! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1306 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »

We better take it to the fitness thread before we're chastised for going off topic.   :biggrin:

... there is a fitness thread?

Online pg1067

« Reply #1307 on: August 15, 2018, 10:06:27 PM »
Keeping with the theme of the thread, I find it more than mildly annoying when people job in the middle of the street.  GET ON THE F**KING SIDEWALK!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1308 on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
Joggers/runners on the road are annoying... but don't get me started on bicyclists on the road....
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1309 on: August 15, 2018, 10:46:57 PM »
Agreed there as well. I will always use a sidewalk on a busy road. Running around my neighborhood is a different story since it’s a small subdivision with not much traffic, but even then I’m not dead center in the road.

As for the transition into irritations while driving, I’ve been thinking about this one since it’s happened a lot lately. I’m all for going your own speed that you’re comfortable with, and if someone wants to pass, get out of the way. What drives me bonkers is driving on two lane roads behind someone doing the speed limit or lower (I usually cruise 5-10 mph over), but once a passing lane comes up, they turn into Jeff fucking Gordon (or if they’re a woman, fucking Danica Patrick) and speed up to 20 over just to stay in front and lead the charge. Then once the lane merges, it’s back to their previous pace. Like, pick a damn speed and stick with it, would ya?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1310 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
I think we've had this argument here before, but I'm fine with 5-10 mph over, I'm guilty of 15 over, but when people want to go 20-25 mph over the speed limit, that get's a bit ridiculous and unsafe.

Another driving thing that annoys me. Light turns green and everyone takes their sweet time to let off the brake and get going and getting back up to speed.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1311 on: August 15, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
I think we've had this argument here before, but I'm fine with 5-10 mph over, I'm guilty of 15 over, but when people want to go 20-25 mph over the speed limit, that get's a bit ridiculous and unsafe.

I also agree, and I almost never do that except when passing on two lane roads to get by and get the fuck back over. But if someone is coming up behind me that fast and starts riding my ass because they want to go 20-25 over, I’m moving over for them, even pulling off the side. Otherwise, I feel it creates an even more dangerous situation with someone’s impatience possibly causing them to make bad decisions and pass into oncoming traffic. Once they’re past me, we can each go our own desired speeds and he’s no longer a potential threat to my safety.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1312 on: August 16, 2018, 05:22:46 AM »
I typically will do 65 in a 55 and I will do it in the slow lane so the speed demons can pass if they want. That typically works pretty well. I do hate when people tailgate me in the slow lane and refuse to pass. That drives me mental.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1313 on: August 16, 2018, 05:44:06 AM »
CT highways are a complete free for all. Speed limits don't exist during morning and evening commutes. I'll regularly do 80 in the middle lane and get passed on both sides. I kind of like it that way.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1314 on: August 16, 2018, 06:23:11 AM »
Another driving thing that annoys me. Light turns green and everyone takes their sweet time to let off the brake and get going and getting back up to speed.

I'm of the exact opposite belief - there's no need to stomp on the gas and accelerate from 0-40 in the space of 20 feet, just because people behind you expect that.  Especially when I have my kids in the car.  I'm not going to slam them back in their car seats just because some guy behind me wants to stomp on his gas pedal.  I'm all for accelerating at a regular, gradual rate until I get to the speed limit/5mph over.

If we're on driving irritations - people who stop a full car length past the white line.  We all learned to stop behind the line....now you're blocking the view of someone trying to turn right, just because you feel that the line doesn't apply to you.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1315 on: August 16, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
It seems like in MN that the right lane is for people wanting to go the speed limit or just a few mph over. Which sucks for the left lane, because it leave 2/3 of the drivers wanting to use it with speeds varying from 5 over to 15 over. But with the right lane going clearly slower, it is a huge pain to get right and let cars pass because you have to slow down and it get's difficult to get back left. So what ends up happening is you get a lineup of cars going behind someone going 2-3 mph faster than the right lane when most people want to go 5-10 mph faster. It may take 10 minutes for an opening big enough for the front guy to get over without having to immediately slam on the brakes. Or they're just oblivious to the line behind them, or don't care.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: August 16, 2018, 06:45:30 AM »
Joggers/runners on the road are annoying... but don't get me started on bicyclists on the road....

I hate bicyclists. I hate how they will pick and choose which road laws they follow.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: August 16, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »

I'm of the exact opposite belief - there's no need to stomp on the gas and accelerate from 0-40 in the space of 20 feet, just because people behind you expect that.  Especially when I have my kids in the car.  I'm not going to slam them back in their car seats just because some guy behind me wants to stomp on his gas pedal.  I'm all for accelerating at a regular, gradual rate until I get to the speed limit/5mph over.

If we're on driving irritations - people who stop a full car length past the white line.  We all learned to stop behind the line....now you're blocking the view of someone trying to turn right, just because you feel that the line doesn't apply to you.

No need FOR YOU.   I find no need to take off the line like I'm John  Force either, but here's the thing:  there are cars behind you.   I'm not doing it "for me", I'm doing it because someone behind me may have somewhere to go. A job interview.  Doctor's appointment.   Baby being born.    Drinks with that hot dude from work.   Sometimes the urgency of the first car is the difference between 2 or 3 cars getting through the light (and now you're adding 5 or more minutes to the ride).   Look, I get it; you want to get there earlier, leave earlier, and in a perfect world we'd all be able to do that.   But the world isn't perfect, and that's not how life works.  "Man plans, God laughs".    So I do my part to not make their life any more stressful or ridiculous than it needs to be.  I get the f*** out of the way.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: August 16, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
Well there is a nice middle ground of just paying attention and hitting the gas enough to get the traffic behind you moving.  I drive a Civic, it's not beating anyone off the line so you can't expect me to bust ass for no reason, but I most certainly ain't looking to waste mine or anyone elses time when the light hits green. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1319 on: August 16, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »

No need FOR YOU.   I find no need to take off the line like I'm John  Force either, but here's the thing:  there are cars behind you.   I'm not doing it "for me", I'm doing it because someone behind me may have somewhere to go. A job interview.  Doctor's appointment.   Baby being born.    Drinks with that hot dude from work.   Sometimes the urgency of the first car is the difference between 2 or 3 cars getting through the light (and now you're adding 5 or more minutes to the ride).   Look, I get it; you want to get there earlier, leave earlier, and in a perfect world we'd all be able to do that.   But the world isn't perfect, and that's not how life works.  "Man plans, God laughs".    So I do my part to not make their life any more stressful or ridiculous than it needs to be.  I get the f*** out of the way.

This. There are lights I get stuck in every afternoon that I watch change 5, 6, sometimes 7 times. Nothing is worse than seeing some asshole not paying attention and sitting at a dead stop, only allowing 3 or 4 cars through the light by the time he/she realizes what they've done. My blood boils when I see a light turn green and you see 30 foot gaps open up between the cars as they start rolling. Why can't we all just accelerate at a relatively similar speed? You don't need to let a box truck-sized opening form between you and the car in front of you. If we all worked together, a lot more of us could make it through each green.Maybe I'm just biased or sour because I spend roughly 25 full days a year sitting in traffic (typing that out just made me really, really sad), but it doesn't seem like a hard concept.

I can't remember for the life of me which state it was, but years ago when I drove down to Florida, we were somewhere that had a row of blindingly white LEDs running across the red light on the traffic light. Starting about 5 seconds before the light would change to green, that white strip in the red light would start strobing. It'd let everyone in line know it was time to get moving and the light was about to turn green. I thought it was genius. I wish every light had them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:16:08 AM by Chino »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1320 on: August 16, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »

I hate bicyclists. I hate how they will pick and choose which road laws they follow.

I'm really bipolar on this. On one hand I realise they're the weakest on the road and we should mind their safety, BUT everytime they suddenly switch into pedestrian mode and literally jump from their lane to the crossing stripes ten feet from my snout I go Falling Down.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »
Well there is a nice middle ground of just paying attention and hitting the gas enough to get the traffic behind you moving.  I drive a Civic, it's not beating anyone off the line so you can't expect me to bust ass for no reason, but I most certainly ain't looking to waste mine or anyone elses time when the light hits green.

And of course there is reason involved.  I have a car that can get to it off the line (my BMW) and a car that is like a battleship (my Dodge pickup truck).   I don't think I'm saying to leave rubber and smoke at the intersection; just be aware.  What's the new buzzword?   "Be mindful".  I know that's not the exact meaning of the phrase, but it fits.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1322 on: August 16, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »

I'm really bipolar on this. On one hand I realise they're the weakest on the road and we should mind their safety, BUT everytime they suddenly switch into pedestrian mode and literally jump from their lane to the crossing stripes ten feet from my snout I go Falling Down.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:44:36 AM by Snow Dog »

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1323 on: August 16, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »

Oh lord.  I'm not saying that I'm purposely delaying another driver.  I'm just driving appropriately for what I feel is correct, which also means that it is not my responsibility to accomodate every single car behind me if they're in a hurry.  If they want to get around me in a passing lane, so be it.  I've been in that place of racing to a hospital in with my wife in labor in the passenger seat, and while I drove as fast as I could, I never drove like I needed to run another car off the road to get where I'm going.

From my perspective, taking off at a stop light/sign like a drag racer to immediately reach the speed limit is wholly unnecessary, and I'm not going to do that with my kids or anyone else in the car, regardless of how the cars behind me think *I* should be driving. 

I used to zip around in my car until I had a very near miss - a driver in an Escalade turned left in front of me in an intersection while I was doing at least 50 in a 40 zone.  I turned to the right just enough to avoid a head-on collision at 50mph and the entire side of my car scraped across his front end.  After that scare, I became a very, very defensive driver.  So I could care less if the guy behind me feels the need to stomp on his pedal - I know what it's like to nearly be in what could have been a very serious or life-threatening accident and I have no need to put myself in that position again because someone else thinks I should drive differently.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: August 16, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
I can't remember for the life of me which state it was, but years ago when I drove down to Florida, we were somewhere that had a row of blindingly white LEDs running across the red light on the traffic light. Starting about 5 seconds before the light would change to green, that white strip in the red light would start strobing. It'd let everyone in line know it was time to get moving and the light was about to turn green. I thought it was genius. I wish every light had them.

I've seen this in Europe.  It's like a yellow light for green, lets you get ready to move.  Great idea IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1325 on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
Isn't that what the other guy's yellow means? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1326 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
Please.  Everyone.  Don't get Stadler going (any more than he already has).  I don't think I can handle a third go-around at this.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1327 on: August 16, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »
Please.  Everyone.  Don't get Stadler going (any more than he already has).  I don't think I can handle a third go-around at this.

I apologize, because I think I was the catalyst for this the last time driving came up.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: August 16, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »

Well, I might have to.  Misunderstood again.  I pretty clearly said that no one has to take off at the line like they are John Force (he's a famous drag racer if that reference went by anyone).   I just argue with the notion that "I have no responsibility to any other driver".  I have EVERY responsibility to every other driver.   I share the road.   Therefore I share the rights to the road.   NO ONE - least of all me - says we all need to operate at top speeds at all times, or to operate unsafely.   But be aware that how YOU drive impacts other drivers.   That's all.  Pretty simple.    Sometimes I'm the fastest on the road, sometimes I'm not.   But I WILL pull over and let someone go - without a dirty look, without the finger, without a "f*** you" - if someone wants to go faster.  I don't believe I can or should - explicitly or implicitly - control other drivers to the extent I don't have to.   

It's far less about "driving fast" than it is about being aware.  I guess I just don't understand that mentality of not caring about controlling someone else.  Sometimes it's necessary and no one is arguing that; I'm talking about the times that it's not NECESSARY, but rather the easy way out.    It BLOWS MY MIND how you can drive along side someone on the highway for miles and miles and they never once ever look in the mirror, look around them or observe what other drivers are doing.    How can you possibly expect to safely operate a 4,000 lb. vehicle hurtling down a strip of concrete at 60 miles per hour if you don't know what's around you??  I say the same thing to the line of kids at the mall walking at their own pace while I'm trying to get to meet my wife at the store.  Or the moron standing at the counter at McDonald's trying to decide between the Big Mac or the Quarter Pounder, even though that choice has been available for over 50 years at this point.   

Online pg1067

« Reply #1329 on: August 16, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »
but once a passing lane comes up, they turn into Jeff fucking Gordon (or if they’re a woman, fucking Danica Patrick)

Your comma usage ruins my fantasy!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung