Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304861 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1120 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »
Yesterday was my daughter's middle school graduation ceremony (or, as they call it, "promotion").

Since I don't know why they use "promotion" instead of "graduation," I'm not sure if I find it irritating, but what I do find irritating is when 366 kids have to walk and have their names announced and the principal asks that folks hold their applause until everyone has been announced but 75% of the kids get huge whoops and shouts.  Most of the time I say "whatever," but occasionally, some group keeps it up long enough that it becomes difficult to hear the next kid's name (which I assume sucks for that next kid's family).

The other thing I found odd (but not rising to the level of irritating) is how many folks made a HUGE deal out of a middle school graduation in terms of massive bunches of balloons and flowers and money necklaces and what-not.  I was talking with one of my daughter's friend's mother, and she was saying, "I feel like the 'bad mom' for not having any flowers or anything."  I said we didn't get anything for our daughter either (and hadn't gotten anything for our son two years earlier) because it's just middle school, and 90+% of the kids will be attending the same high school next year (in the district where we live, six elementary schools feed into two middle schools, which feed into one high school).  It's nice to have a ceremony, but it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

In our district, the mascots for the two middle schools are Lions and Eagles, and the high school mascot is Griffins.  I don't know why, but I think that's vaguely clever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1121 on: June 14, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »

Since I don't know why they use "promotion" instead of "graduation," I'm not sure if I find it irritating, but what I do find irritating is when 366 kids have to walk and have their names announced and the principal asks that folks hold their applause until everyone has been announced but 75% of the kids get huge whoops and shouts.  Most of the time I say "whatever," but occasionally, some group keeps it up long enough that it becomes difficult to hear the next kid's name (which I assume sucks for that next kid's family).

First, congratulations to your daughter.  In my day, last day of school, the homeroom teacher handed out certificates to that class.  The way it should be.

Second, I'M WITH YOU.  Holy cow; it's not actually mildly irritating; it drives me BATSHIT CRAZY that so many people are "fuck the rules" like that.  I think it's so disrespectful and rude.  I've actually talked to my daughter about it and told her that out of respect for HER, and so that we don't embarrass HER we're not going to do that, but to not for a second think that we don't love her and aren't proud of her accomplishments.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: June 14, 2018, 02:39:08 PM »
The whole graduation thing is just irritating.  I didn't even want to attend my own graduation.  Sitting through all the names is just painful for everyone. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1123 on: June 14, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »

First, congratulations to your daughter.  In my day, last day of school, the homeroom teacher handed out certificates to that class.  The way it should be.

Second, I'M WITH YOU.  Holy cow; it's not actually mildly irritating; it drives me BATSHIT CRAZY that so many people are "fuck the rules" like that.  I think it's so disrespectful and rude.  I've actually talked to my daughter about it and told her that out of respect for HER, and so that we don't embarrass HER we're not going to do that, but to not for a second think that we don't love her and aren't proud of her accomplishments.   

Thanks!  Fortunately, my daughter uber secure in who she is so as not to worry about being part of the 25% who doesn't have someone screaming like an imbecile for her.  She's a seriously awesome person.  She also knows that mom and I follow the rules.

When I "graduated" from 8th grade (Roman Catholic school in 1981), our graduation ceremony was held in the church and was part of a mass, so there certainly was no whooping, but we did get our "diplomas" at the ceremony (I think I still have mine somewhere).  They didn't hand out the "diplomas" yesterday, and the principal made a point of saying that today was still a school day (albeit a half day) and that the kids needed to show up to receive the "diplomas."

By the way, this whole thing is the same mindset that causes Slayer fans to rip cushions off the seats and throw them around the arena and justify it by saying, "we were just having fun."

The whole graduation thing is just irritating.  I didn't even want to attend my own graduation.  Sitting through all the names is just painful for everyone. 

Ehh...I'm on the fence about it, but it'll be a bigger deal with high school graduation comes around (that'll be about 700 kids and will take place at the StubHub Center, which is where the Chargers are playing their home games while the new stadium is being built, so I'm REALLY not looking forward to that).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: June 15, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »

Ehh...I'm on the fence about it, but it'll be a bigger deal with high school graduation comes around (that'll be about 700 kids and will take place at the StubHub Center, which is where the Chargers are playing their home games while the new stadium is being built, so I'm REALLY not looking forward to that).

Certainly wasn't saying not to have them at all, just personally I found them boring and a bit too much.  However, the location and speeches can be interesting.  My high school graduation was at the PNC Bank Arts Center which is a big amphitheater that I frequent for many concerts including seeing Iron Maiden and Dream Theater there so I always find that cool, although the actual graduation itself was boring.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1125 on: June 15, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »
I find it annoying that schools feel the need to have graduation ceremonies for any grade other than actually graduating high school. Heck, graduating high school isn't really that big of an accomplishment much less kindergarten, 5th grade, 8th grade, etc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1126 on: June 15, 2018, 08:27:00 AM »
I find it annoying that schools feel the need to have graduation ceremonies for any grade other than actually graduating high school. Heck, graduating high school isn't really that big of an accomplishment much less kindergarten, 5th grade, 8th grade, etc.

I agree 100%.

High school was a joke. I slept or daydreamed through most of the classes and they handed me a piece of paper saying that I was present. High school felt more like daycare for teenagers and I couldn't wait to get free from it. Everyone was patting me on the back and all I could think about the whole time was "I didn't earn anything" and "I don't deserve this praise". Even most of college was joke.

What has happened to actual rights of passage? Working hard, overcoming adversity and earning what you have. It takes pressure to makes diamonds. I probably will never have a kid, but if I ever did, then these are the values I would instill in them. I have no desire to worship or put my child on a pedestal. I will prepare them for the harsh realities of this life and how to be an independent adult. Self esteem means nothing if there isn't anything to back it up.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1127 on: June 15, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »

I agree 100%.

High school was a joke. I slept or daydreamed through most of the classes and they handed me a piece of paper saying that I was present. High school felt more like daycare for teenagers and I couldn't wait to get free from it. Everyone was patting me on the back and all I could think about the whole time was "I didn't earn anything" and "I don't deserve this praise". Even most of college was joke.

What has happened to actual rights of passage? Working hard, overcoming adversity and earning what you have. It takes pressure to makes diamonds. I probably will never have a kid, but if I ever did, then these are the values I would instill in them. I have no desire to worship or put my child on a pedestal. I will prepare them for the harsh realities of this life and how to be an independent adult. Self esteem means nothing if there isn't anything to back it up.

Not to be an ass or anything, but if you treated high school (and college) like a joke, it's not really surprising that you feel that way.  Surely you can understand that it's very different for folks who take their education seriously, can't you?

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to "actual rites of passage" and then refer to "working hard, overcoming adversity and earning what you have."  Just because you didn't work hard or overcome adversity to get through high school or college doesn't mean others didn't do so.  And graduating high school is very much a "rite of passage."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1128 on: June 15, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1129 on: June 15, 2018, 06:53:57 PM »
Anyone have an employer who is pushing mindfulness and meditation to counter stress at work?  Don't get me wrong here, I think stress reduction and relaxation techniques can be very beneficial for long term health, but it is really starting to irk me that my boss/company is pushing this practice on staff.  I get that some people like it and that's fine.  But for me, it just makes me less productive and amotivated.  Like taking a nap would.

If our bosses want stress reduction and improved productivity I would think exercise would be much more effective.  But really, maybe they should just let us do our jobs and leave us the fuck alone if we are doing it well. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: June 15, 2018, 09:39:42 PM »
But really, maybe they should just let us do our jobs and leave us the fuck alone if we are doing it well.

Big fan of that approach. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1131 on: June 16, 2018, 08:04:04 AM »
I generally agree as well, although I am a big fan of naps. I only live 10-12 minutes from work and occasionally I will go home for lunch and take a 20-30 minute power nap.  I always feel more awake after that, but then again, I suffer from apnea, so any sleep is a good thing, even if it is just a quick nap.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1132 on: June 16, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
But really, maybe they should just let us do our jobs and leave us the fuck alone if we are doing it well.

Big fan of that approach.

Absolutely. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1133 on: June 21, 2018, 06:14:42 AM »
So I just saw the commercial to Jurassic World for like the hundredth time. Every time I see it, I think this looks so fucking stupid. And the dinosaurs look so fake. I think Japan did it better with Godzilla back in the day. Why is this movie even being made? To take dumb fucking people's money, that's why.

I didn't have an issue with the plot for the original movie/book. A research island with dinosaurs on it. OK...I'd never read that, but it's not the worst idea in the world.

But why make another one? Who fucking cares? It's just rewrapped garbage. Why on earth would anyone see this? The effects? Like I said, they look fake as hell, though I don't doubt it takes an enormous amount of talent and effort to put it together, but if it looks like ass, what good is it?

I can't believe people are going to fork over hard earned cash for this.

tl:dr
I hate when people try and steal my money because they assume I'm too dumb to realize it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1134 on: June 21, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
They are not stealing your money if you don't go.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1135 on: June 21, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
I've always found the JP movies to be reasonably entertaining. People want popcorn flicks. They're almost always formulaic and retreads of previous movies. Most people are fine with that. If you don't like it don't go. They're not stealing my money. I'm willing to pay knowing exactly what I'm getting myself into.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: June 21, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »
The original JP was a classic IMO.  As Hollywood does with all successful movies, they try to milk it.  I didn't hate the 2nd, but it was definitely a downward trend that continued with the third.  People loved the 4th, but I didn't care for it.  I have no interest in seeing another now.  Then again, I go to the movies maybe once a year if at all so I'm not really the target audience for movies anymore.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: June 21, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »
A couple people in my family are all doing backflips over Jurassic Universe or whatever the f--- it's called, and honestly I can't care less.  The first one was cool in a "wow, I've never seen THAT before!" kind of way, but the last one... pffft.  It doesn't help that I don't care about Chris Pratt or Dallas Bryce Howard or whatever her name is.   

Having said that, I took the kids to the Incredibles 2 in 3D... HOLY MACKEREL!    What a movie!  That was a quality flick on all levels.  I REALLY enjoyed that movie. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: June 21, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
I'm going to see JP this weekend. It's not going to cinematic masterpiece but it's something entertaining to watch while I eat popcorn, drink beers, and mentally check out for two hours.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:12 AM »
I'm with Reaper and Lordxizor.  Sometimes I just want an eye-candy movie.  When I go out to restaurants, sometimes it's Osso Bucco and a $50 bottle of wine, sometimes it's 5-guys and an orange crush.  Not everything needs to be a cinematic masterpiece for it to be enjoyable.  And sometimes, movies are so bad, they're good/funny.  Battleship comes to mind.  Loved that flick, knowing it was terrible.

Get off your lawn, Tim.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1140 on: June 22, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »
We're lucky Tim knows how to load music on an I-Pod!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
I'm with Reaper and Lordxizor.  Sometimes I just want an eye-candy movie.  When I go out to restaurants, sometimes it's Osso Bucco and a $50 bottle of wine, sometimes it's 5-guys and an orange crush.  Not everything needs to be a cinematic masterpiece for it to be enjoyable.  And sometimes, movies are so bad, they're good/funny.  Battleship comes to mind.  Loved that flick, knowing it was terrible.

No, no, I'm cool with that; I'm a huge fan of the Fast and Furious series, and I'm a sucker for the recent spate of Dwayne Johnson schlock films but JP itself does nothing for me.  I laughed my ass off at Girls Trip, and that was as low-brow as it gets.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: June 22, 2018, 08:28:38 AM »
Did you see Blocked?  God that was piss-my-pants funny.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1143 on: June 22, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »

No, no, I'm cool with that; I'm a huge fan of the Fast and Furious series, and I'm a sucker for the recent spate of Dwayne Johnson schlock films but JP itself does nothing for me.  I laughed my ass off at Girls Trip, and that was as low-brow as it gets.

I'd watch it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: June 22, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »
Only if it was directed by Michael Bay.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1145 on: June 22, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
Not gonna lie. I'd probably go see that, lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: June 24, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Id see that in a heartbeat.  Wouldn't even think twice (and funny enough, it's just plausible enough that I can see it happening.  For fuck's sake, Vin Diesel jumped a car from skyscraper to skyscraper!)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1147 on: June 30, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »
Definitely find it annoying when dealership websites do not take down sold vehicles, but have them just sitting there mixed in with the available models, so you are sifting through and and get excited, but then see that its sold.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1148 on: July 19, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
Extremely mild Facebook irritation here, but like herpes it always comes back no matter how hard I try to avoid them. Inspirational Facebook posts. You know, the longwinded ones about (usually single, working) motherhood, with the mom breaking down crying at least once in the story, talking about how everything is so difficult but it's all worth it in the end. Or the ones that have an image that sounds like a clickbait article, like "I don't help my wife" and then it's a long sappy post about how the man just helps around the house because he's not a slob and his wife is the spit and image of perfection. I dunno, man. It's all so corny.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »
Mild irritation?
- when people - usually girls, for some reason - pronounce "food" to rhyme with "feud". 
- when people add "super" to every adjective.  "I'm SUPER excited about seeing Candace Night next week."   "That's a SUPER great post, Stadler!"

Moderate, bordering on severe, irritation?
- the increasing tendency to over-hyperbolize everything.   Taylor Swift isn't just an average singer, she's the "worst singer in pop history".   Trump isn't just a polarizing President, he is "stunningly, transcendently incompetent!" 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1150 on: July 19, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »

- the increasing tendency to over-hyperbolize everything.   

Irony!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1151 on: July 19, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

- the increasing tendency to over-hyperbolize everything.   

Irony!

It's super ironic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: July 19, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »
You two are the worst posters in the history of forums.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1153 on: July 19, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »
 :heart

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1154 on: July 19, 2018, 01:01:15 PM »
You two are the worst posters in the history of forums.

I actually have a version of that tattooed on my lower back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com