Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304904 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #1085 on: May 14, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »
Well mine is no where near my forum name here. 

King F. Shmegland
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1086 on: May 14, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
Chino. Can I interest you in a Tamiya Monster Beetle ?
(smirk) yup it still runs and I have back parts for most of it...
I'm kidding. She aint for sale.

Do you really have an original?

Yup. It has an aftermarket motor in it with a tad more pop. I would rate it's overall condition as....fair to good. But on the fair end. It's been driven and enjoyed not babied and kept on a shelf. I've got it all painted like an Ottawa Senators Hockey jersey. It gave a gas powered one a good run for it's money in a straight line...a little tippy on the corners.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1087 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »

Yup. It has an aftermarket motor in it with a tad more pop. I would rate it's overall condition as....fair to good. But on the fair end. It's been driven and enjoyed not babied and kept on a shelf. I've got it all painted like an Ottawa Senators Hockey jersey. It gave a gas powered one a good run for it's money in a straight line...a little tippy on the corners.

Nice. Are you active in the hobby? I didn't know there was another RCer on this board.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1088 on: May 14, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
This may have been brought up in this long thread but I've been noticing this a lot more. People who come out of a sidestreet/parking lot/etc and stick the nose of their vehicle 2-3 feet into the travel lane. I'm not talking between the white line and the other area itself but actually into the god damn travel lane. And these fuckers come up fast and then slam on the brakes "to look" but enough to cause someone like myself to swerve possibly into the lane on my left or into someone next to me. I have pretty good reflexes but damn do these people cause a ton of issues because they overjudge their stopping points so they themselves can get out.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1089 on: May 14, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »
This may have been brought up in this long thread but I've been noticing this a lot more. People who come out of a sidestreet/parking lot/etc and stick the nose of their vehicle 2-3 feet into the travel lane. I'm not talking between the white line and the other area itself but actually into the god damn travel lane. And these fuckers come up fast and then slam on the brakes "to look" but enough to cause someone like myself to swerve possibly into the lane on my left or into someone next to me. I have pretty good reflexes but damn do these people cause a ton of issues because they overjudge their stopping points so they themselves can get out.
Conversely, I hate it when you pull up in one of those situation and are forced to move a foot or two into the lane to see around parked cars or other obstructions in order to see if any cars are coming.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1090 on: May 16, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »

Nice. Are you active in the hobby? I didn't know there was another RCer on this board.

I would say "no". I can charge batteries, take it apart, put it back together and drive it. That's about as far as I go.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1091 on: May 29, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »
When people leave a voicemail, give a return number very quickly, and then hangup without repeating it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1092 on: May 29, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
When people leave a voicemail, give a return number very quickly, and then hangup without repeating it.

When someone applies for a job only to not set up their voicemail on their cellphone.   Kids, SET UP YOUR DAMN VOICEMAIL!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1093 on: May 29, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »

I hate that....  Same with folks who have difficult to pronounce or spell last names.  My name falls into that category, so my usual habit is to say my name at the beginning of the message and repeat and spell it at the end.

Unrelated:  It bugs me for some reason when folks apologize for things for which they shouldn't be apologizing.  The most recent example was when I went to the restroom this morning.  The door into the men's room is the standard heavy wood door that opens inward.  I was reaching for the door handle to open it when someone inside the restroom opened the door to leave.  I stepped to the side so he could do so, and he apologized to me.  I always want to say, "sorry for what?"  This happens all the time.

Slightly more annoying:  I was at the grocery store over the weekend.  One of the things I was there to grab was a half gallon of milk.  As I was approaching the refrigerated section, an older man got there first.  No problem there, but he parked his cart so that it blocked two doors and then proceeded to stand in front of door I wanted for a good 20-30 seconds.  Get the F*** out of the way!!!  It's like the old George Carlin routine where he admonishes someone for standing in front of the refrigerator while deciding what the person wants.  Take a freaking Polaroid and come back when you've figured it out.

Bonus third item is for the idiots who park their shopping cart on one side and then stand next to the cart so the entire aisle is impassible and then act surprised and annoyed when I say, "excuse me."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1094 on: May 29, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
For the record, I might have been that guy coming out of the bathroom. I say "I'm sorry" all the time.  I'm sorry for this post.

I also say excuse me; what I find irritating, is when people take it offensively, as if I was Steve Fucking Martin or I was calling them out.  NO.   I was literally saying "Please excuse my role in whatever the f*** this is right now".   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1095 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:52 PM »
Things I find mildly irritating - once again - people who hit the handicap button to open doors they easily could open themselves. These doors are VERY expensive to maintain, they break A LOT. So you're a germaphobe? So you just like pressing buttons? Smarten the fuck up. Some cripple is gonna come along and hit the button and because it's busted by able bodied folks who are lazy....well you get the idea.

Is this really a problem?  I think I've seen people FAR more often than not use the button rather than manually open the door for these types of doors.  And for good reason--they are usually a lot heavier than regular doors, and the auto-open mechanism often makes them VERY hard to open manually.  I ask sincerely because I've never heard that hitting the button causes any significant wear and tear that wouldn't be caused by manually opening the door anyway, and I don't recall ever seeing one broken/out of service. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1096 on: May 29, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
For the record, I might have been that guy coming out of the bathroom. I say "I'm sorry" all the time.  I'm sorry for this post.

I also say excuse me; what I find irritating, is when people take it offensively, as if I was Steve Fucking Martin or I was calling them out.  NO.   I was literally saying "Please excuse my role in whatever the f*** this is right now".

I usually go with what I hope is a friendly sounding "'scuse me" (even if what I want to say is "get the fuck out of my god damn way you idiot!").

The apologizing thing is more bemusing than it is annoying.  Of course, I've only recently become ok with people saying, "I'm sorry," when someone dies.  Previously, my thinking was, "why are you apologizing?  You didn't kill Bob, did you?!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1097 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
I try and say "Excuse me Ms." or "Excuse me sir" when I need someone to get the fuck out of my path. I like to think it sounds more polite.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: May 29, 2018, 02:52:38 PM »
Things I find mildly irritating - once again - people who hit the handicap button to open doors they easily could open themselves. These doors are VERY expensive to maintain, they break A LOT. So you're a germaphobe? So you just like pressing buttons? Smarten the fuck up. Some cripple is gonna come along and hit the button and because it's busted by able bodied folks who are lazy....well you get the idea.

Is this really a problem?  I think I've seen people FAR more often than not use the button rather than manually open the door for these types of doors.  And for good reason--they are usually a lot heavier than regular doors, and the auto-open mechanism often makes them VERY hard to open manually.  I ask sincerely because I've never heard that hitting the button causes any significant wear and tear that wouldn't be caused by manually opening the door anyway, and I don't recall ever seeing one broken/out of service.

Interesting.   My dad is handicapped (acute arthritis since about 30) and so has a handicapped sticker for his car, etc.   I know it's a pet peeve of his when cars park in the handicapped spots to "just run in for a minute".  He once took a picture of a police car parked in a handicapped spot to get a pizza once (not at all coincidentally, I got pulled over like four times in the next month).   I get it, not the same thing.   BUT, the building where my ten year old goes to see his doctor has one of those doors.  I tell him EVERY time not to hit the button because it's "not for him".   I just want him to recognize that it's there for a reason, that the handicapped symbol is there for a reason, and he should think about it before he hits the button.  Honestly, it's not hurting anyone if he does (not like taking one of a finite number of parking spots) but it's about awareness.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1099 on: May 29, 2018, 03:17:20 PM »
No, I get the parking space thing.  People have no right to those unless they have a legitimate placard (but don't get me started on the fact that CA law mandates so many of those spaces that you legitimately see half a dozen or [more frequently] MORE sitting unused at even the busiest times).  But the door issue doesn't seem similar to me--especially where there is only ONE door, and it is a power door like that so the only choice is to hit the button or open it manually.  I know they aren't ALL like this, but the exit door from the secured area in my building is one of those.  And that particular door is EXTREMELY hard to open without hitting the button.  I'm not a small dude, and I have to put my weight into it to get it to move, and even then, it opens VERY slowly because of the resistance.  On the flipside, if you hit the button, it just opens right up, no problem.  So as a result, people almost always use the button.  Again, I realize that not all of them are like that.  But for whatever reason, the mechanism on this door makes it take longer and take WAY more physical exertion to open it without using the button.  And it is the ONLY exit door from the secured area.  So I've never even thought twice about using the button on that one.

That said, I do generally get the idea of "this isn't meant for you, so don't use it."  I guess I would apply that to situations where, for instance, there is more than one door, and one of them is the disabled-access power door.  Unless there is a reason to use that door in that specific situation, I wouldn't even use it and would use one of the regular doors for that same reason--that power door is meant for a specific use, which isn't mine.  But if I did need to use it, I wasn't aware that using the button was an issue, especially for doors that have issues like what I mention above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1100 on: May 29, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »

Interesting.   My dad is handicapped (acute arthritis since about 30) and so has a handicapped sticker for his car, etc.   I know it's a pet peeve of his when cars park in the handicapped spots to "just run in for a minute".  He once took a picture of a police car parked in a handicapped spot to get a pizza once (not at all coincidentally, I got pulled over like four times in the next month).   I get it, not the same thing.   BUT, the building where my ten year old goes to see his doctor has one of those doors.  I tell him EVERY time not to hit the button because it's "not for him".   I just want him to recognize that it's there for a reason, that the handicapped symbol is there for a reason, and he should think about it before he hits the button.  Honestly, it's not hurting anyone if he does (not like taking one of a finite number of parking spots) but it's about awareness.

Stadler, that's funny. I kind of feel the same way. Kind of like be respectful of the people that need to use it. Whenever I had to return a Mart Cart back into the store from the lot, I'd always walk it in, unless it was one of those that you had to sit in to operate.

The Lovely Mrs TAC works at an elderly facility, and frankly, these doors are so freaking heavy you almost have to push the button. Even when I do open the door manually, I feel like I'm about to bust the mechanism.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1101 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
High Humidity.  Its brutal today

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: May 30, 2018, 08:30:33 PM »
I left Florida thinking humidity couldn't get any worse, that is until I moved to North Carolina.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: May 31, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
I left Florida thinking humidity couldn't get any worse, that is until I moved to North Carolina.

Well the Florida humidity was terrible and when I got back to NJ I realized NJ is just as bad  :lol  The whole east coast is terrible I guess with humidity.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: May 31, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
I am from the PNW and have lived here my whole life and did not travel much growing up. In August I flew to Virginia to attend college, and when I got off the plane I thought I was going to die. I had never felt humidity like that before.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1105 on: May 31, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
This might be more than mildly irritating.  Something smells in my kitchen and I can't fucking figure it out.  I'm starting to think some small animal may have died under the floor.  I'm one of those people who has a hyper sense of smell.  The rest of my family can barely smell it.  It is making me nauseated.  And crazy trying to figure out where it is coming from.  I have literally sterilized every square inch of my kitchen.   :huh:

I think we may need to sell the house. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: May 31, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »
This might be more than mildly irritating.  Something smells in my kitchen and I can't fucking figure it out.  I'm starting to think some small animal may have died under the floor.  I'm one of those people who has a hyper sense of smell.  The rest of my family can barely smell it.  It is making me nauseated.  And crazy trying to figure out where it is coming from.  I have literally sterilized every square inch of my kitchen.   :huh:

I think we may need to sell the house.

Haha.  I don't know where you live, but where I am (the Northeast), that smell is not that uncommon.  The good thing:  it's usually a mouse or a chipmunk, and is gone in 3 to 5 weeks.  By the time you get the house listed, and on the market, it's likely going to be gone.   :).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1107 on: May 31, 2018, 07:54:44 PM »
My entry for the day: companies whose hold music is the same 20-second clip on an endless loop. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1108 on: June 01, 2018, 05:48:28 AM »
People in cities that ride bicycles on crowded sidewalks

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1109 on: June 02, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
Student loan interest is driving me mental

It seems like everytime I make a payment, when I come back to make another payment, the total amount is right back up to where it was originally. I'm still at $124,000...

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1110 on: June 04, 2018, 06:19:10 AM »

It seems like everytime I make a payment, when I come back to make another payment, the total amount is right back up to where it was originally. I'm still at $124,000...

My girlfriend is paying upwards of $600 a month and only like $110 goes to principle.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: June 04, 2018, 06:27:25 AM »

My girlfriend is paying upwards of $600 a month and only like $110 goes to principle.

I've seen student loan payment vouchers that list minimum payments that are interest only (my youngest son).
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1112 on: June 04, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »
Yeah, I actually sat down the other day and actually calculated how much was interest and its almost half  :omg:

So a lot of my monthly payment of $1440 is going right out the window. I'm think I'm gonna go into starving artist mode for a little while and put all my financial effort into getting these loans down, otherwise the interest will eat me alive.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1113 on: June 04, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
Gas stations that have audio and/or visual advertising at the pumps that you cannot turn off.  I was at one in Michigan that had a full a/v presentation that there was no way to mute or turn off in any way, shape or form.  I just wanted to fill up and go!  Instead, I was yelling at it "MAKE IT STOP! HOW DO YOU TURN THIS OFF?!?!?" 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1114 on: June 04, 2018, 07:12:55 AM »
Gas stations that have audio and/or visual advertising at the pumps that you cannot turn off.  I was at one in Michigan that had a full a/v presentation that there was no way to mute or turn off in any way, shape or form.  I just wanted to fill up and go!  Instead, I was yelling at it "MAKE IT STOP! HOW DO YOU TURN THIS OFF?!?!?"

Those drive me nut. The pumps near my parents' house are terrible. You squeeze the trigger and 15-20 seconds of a commercial plays before fuel actually starts flowing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1115 on: June 04, 2018, 07:20:52 AM »

I miss the god damn early 90's so much. It was so much more quieter back then. I too can't stand the gas station TV, advertising screens. Just leave me the hell alone for the few mins I am pumping gas.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: June 04, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »

I miss the god damn early 90's so much. It was so much more quieter back then. I too can't stand the gas station TV, advertising screens. Just leave me the hell alone for the few mins I am pumping gas.

You and me both.   My (old; I left there because they were sheisters) dentist has TV sets screwed to the ceiling so you don't have to miss even a MINUTE of The View!   

It's amazing; I wonder if some of these kids can even manage a half and hour with their own thoughts.   I once sat in a concrete stairwell by myself for six hours (for work; I was a security guard) with nothing but my thoughts and a metal foldup chair.   I tell people that and they're like "whoa, dude, what did you DO?  Did you go crazy???" and I'm like, no, actually, it was peaceful.  It was relaxing.  I wrote two songs.  I thought through some issues I was dealing with at the time (I was in college).    Yeah, I was craving a drink for most of it (I was in college), but it wasn't like "torture" or the end of the world.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: June 04, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

This makes me feel happy that I don't pump my own gas (even though I probably would just rather, but I think this is the first time I've heard about a negative to doing it yourself)

Yeah, I actually sat down the other day and actually calculated how much was interest and its almost half  :omg:

So a lot of my monthly payment of $1440 is going right out the window. I'm think I'm gonna go into starving artist mode for a little while and put all my financial effort into getting these loans down, otherwise the interest will eat me alive.

Yea, knowing how much going to interest makes it a hard pill to swallow.  If you could even just save a little more to put towards the principle it will help a lot down the road.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1118 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
I think the gas station companies have upgraded to video without a mute option after seeing how many of the audio players had smashed mute buttons.  I wonder how that seems to be a better solution than just maybe, I don't know, removing that nonsense altogether.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1119 on: June 06, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
When people make polls asking what their favorite album is by X artist...

But leave the best album off of the poll.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"