Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304855 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #910 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
I love the IDEA of watches and, like Chino, think they are (or can be) awesome, almost art.   My dad has a collection, including some pretty cool pocket watches.

Having said that, I haven't worn a watch regularly for DECADES.  I usually forget to put them on after a few days, and if I do remember, I ultimately end up destroying them and it makes me sad.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: September 02, 2017, 01:45:55 AM »
I suppose it's also just a habit for some people (like me). I'm not doing it for fashion purposes, it's just I'm used to have something heavy on my wrist and I check time on them constantly. On rare occasions I forget to put them on, I stupidly glance at my wrist like thirty times a day. I never use the phone to check the time.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #912 on: September 02, 2017, 06:15:45 AM »
I suppose it's also just a habit for some people (like me). I'm not doing it for fashion purposes, it's just I'm used to have something heavy on my wrist and I check time on them constantly. On rare occasions I forget to put them on, I stupidly glance at my wrist like thirty times a day. I never use the phone to check the time.

That's a good point. I don't usually realize how often I use my watches until I forget to put one on before leaving the house.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #913 on: September 02, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
I wear a run of the mill $20 dollar watch, but only to work since my job revolves around date and time of med administration, so its super useful. And since other people have gotten in trouble for constantly being on their phones, I find it easier/safer just to be able to look at my wrist rather than taking out my phone constantly.

But I don't wear it for fashion outside of work.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #914 on: September 02, 2017, 06:50:00 AM »
I wear a run of the $20mill dollar watch,

Change the position of one word & the entire meaning changes  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #915 on: December 01, 2017, 04:41:48 AM »
Having a cold, which led to having trouble sleeping the previous night which leads to being tired all day at work  :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #916 on: December 03, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
Having a cold, which led to having trouble sleeping the previous night which leads to being tired all day at work  :P

That was me most of this past week (although it was a sinus infection, not a cold). :censored :censored :censored

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »

That was me most of this past week (although it was a sinus infection, not a cold). :censored :censored :censored

I'm starting to get the feeling like I'm getting a sinus infection. Headache and really tired all of a sudden.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #918 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
That seems odd, but pogoowner has a good point.  Watches in general are for fashion these days.  No one needs a watch to tell time anymore.  My friends talk about their expensive watches a lot.  I'm not a fashion person so I'm not dropping thousands on a watch, but it's purely a fashion/wealth statement.  Im guessing the same would apply for the apple watch that doesn't work.
I have a Samsung smart watch that's incredibly handy. I discreetly check texts and notifications, I use the stopwatch a LOT (checking my Rubiks solve time), and other various applications from time to time. When I initially bought it, I was worried the novelty would wear off after two weeks. I was pleasantly surprised to find it that I use it regularly without forcing myself to.

Even for checking time, it's so much easier to raise my wrist than to dig in my pocket. Especially if I'm sitting.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #919 on: December 09, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
So this morning I go in to work. As I am making my way to the department I stopped by the little coffee shop in the building, and got a coffee for $1.29.

I get to the department and a co-worker starts nagging me and giving me crap because I went the to the coffee shop in the building and paid $1.29 and did not go to Wawa (a popular east coast convenience store) which is 5 minutes out of my way driving in, so I could have gotten a cup of coffee for 99 cents. 

I told the co-worker I just wanted to get to work and not have to make a separate stop. And that I manage my finances in a manner that 0.29 cents will not not break me.  But they just kept on going. I just ended up saying they were right and went on with my life.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: December 09, 2017, 02:07:40 PM »
That is annoying. Your post reminded me of my boss, there are many new places to eat opening around us. If we discover a new place that has good food it's automatically crap because he didn't discover it first.

He is the type of dude who has a guy for everything you may ever need in life, and his guy is the best.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #921 on: December 09, 2017, 02:14:38 PM »
5 minutes away from work is more than 29 cents in gas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #922 on: December 09, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »
5 minutes away from work is more than 29 cents in gas.

That is a concept lost on most people.

7-8 years ago, I had a few co-workers who were baffled as to why I would pay $40 a month for my gym membership.  I left another gym where it was $25 a month.

This was back when I worked out 4-5 times a week, without fail.

The $40 gym was literally next door to me.  The $25 gym was 10 minutes away.

The extra $15 I spent in the gym membership, I more than saved in gas at the time, plus on those days where I didn't feel like going, but knew I needed to, it was a lot easier to just go next door and bust out a quick one, instead of taking the time to the 20-minute round trip transit and make myself work out.

The concept was lost on my co-workers.  :lol :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #923 on: December 10, 2017, 07:34:09 AM »
^^^^ There was a girl I went to grad school with that absolutely could not understand opportunity cost. Also I may or may not have been engaged to this person.

But anyway, she would spend hours upon hours, days upon days studying for every single exam, regardless of the difficulty. And me on the other hand would go all out for the challenging exams and then would ramp down my effort for the easier exams. That way I could actually rest my body and mind throughout the semester, making pharmacy school not that bad. She on the other hand was wound so tight and fatigued so bad, she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown quite often. And she also was neglecting her 3 young kids while chasing perfection which I wasn't so happy about.

But regardless of all that relentless effort, she was always ended up with like a 90 and I would walk away with an 83 or something. Now keep in mind, we are in grad school. That's it, you graduate and you go to work. A so-so GPA like mine got the same exact degree as her slightly better GPA. I knew that I just needed to pass and I would win the war. But at the end of the day, she probably took years off her life with all the stress and worry, constantly running at redline to get those few extra points.

Sorry, this got longer than I expected,

TL:DR  Understanding opportunity costs makes a world of difference 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #924 on: December 10, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
(Post about someone spending too much time doing something)

Which ends with..

Sorry, this got longer than I expected, 

;D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #925 on: December 11, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »
I've been hearing a lot of ads on the radio lately for pawn shops encouraging people to trade in the jewelry and tools they're currently not wearing and using in order to have extra money for loved ones' Christmas presents.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »
First off, Wawa rules.  Second, don't even get me started about opportunity costs; I got into a fight once with a roommate who drove easily 15 miles out of his way to avoid a $1.00 toll.    My best friend also used to fight with his roommate about the phone bill in that way.  Pete would take an hour to sort out every call, every charge, and over the course of the year it maybe made a $25 difference.

Irritating:  well, I drove from CT to Atlantic City (and back) this weekend, so I'm sure you can imagine what my complaint is (hint:  we've had about four threads on this in the past year, and it does NOT rhyme with "urge").    Move, the fuck, OVER, for god's sake. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
Welcome to NJ and all the terrible clue less drivers, although I find a lot of them tend to have NY plates. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #928 on: December 24, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
(deleting this because I was way too harsh to someone in my post. The only reason I posted it was to let out (admittedly overreacted) anger, so now there's no need for this post to exist  :-\)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:58:43 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #929 on: January 08, 2018, 07:10:46 AM »
Job descriptions... Most are nothing by fluff in an attempt to sound professional. Just a bunch a jargon.

Position: Director

The [Removed] group is responsible for partnering with executive leadership to develop, prioritize, and execute initiatives that enhances top line growth and improves business efficiencies. The team executes the initiatives by partnering with the key stakeholders across Business Units and Functions, and by utilizing business evaluation frameworks, operational excellence methodologies, financial assessments, execution models, and customer & agent experience. The team acts as change agents and transformation leaders who execute and deliver the committed corporate goals and results.

The above description doesn't describe the job at all. That could apply to any director position on the planet. Loosely translated, it says "work with coworkers and others to increase revenue for the business". That's it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #930 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »
70's interior design aesthetic. It is just not for me

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #931 on: January 15, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
What's your favorite polls
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #932 on: January 15, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #933 on: January 15, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
Polls?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #934 on: January 15, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »

I don't get it  :\

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: January 15, 2018, 10:28:14 PM »
People who put all their designations, associations and such in their signature files. I just got an email from a realtor (name redacted) Bxxxxx Rxxxxx, CRS, GIPS, GRI, ABR, CDPE. All that crap is totally unnecessary. For instance: The Accredited Buyer's Representative (ABR®) designation is designed for real estate buyer agents who focus on working directly with buyer-clients at every stage of the home-buying process." Isn't that your goddamn job? Why would I work with an agent who only worked with me through part of the process?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:46 AM »
or Esquire

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: January 16, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »
or Esquire

The worse is "JD".   "JD" is the degree from law school, "Esquire" means you passed the bar exam somewhere.  So if you put "Cram Spectacular, JD", you're basically telling the world that you couldn't pass the bar exam. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »
My understanding is Esquire means nothing, you don't need any accreditation for it although typically used by lawyers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
My understanding is Esquire means nothing, you don't need any accreditation for it although typically used by lawyers.

In Great Britain, you are correct.  It's not a formal designation, like "POTUS", but in the States, it denotes "lawyer" and technically to be a "lawyer" you have to have passed the bar. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #940 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
Amen. It's getting really obnoxious
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #941 on: January 16, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
Plus 1 for me. Come on man.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: January 16, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »

In Great Britain, you are correct.  It's not a formal designation, like "POTUS", but in the States, it denotes "lawyer" and technically to be a "lawyer" you have to have passed the bar.

Well, yeah.  It's not formal which is why it's an irritating title IMO.  Anyone could use the title even if most people only use it as a lawyer since there's no legal recognition.  I just think the idea is dumb to use a somewhat meaningless title.  I'm sure there's more history surrounded to how it came to it's current use in the US (I read some of it's wikipedia page) I think it would make more sense to have some officially recognized title for lawyers, if one were to use a title at all. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #943 on: January 16, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
Plus 1 for me. Come on man.

I don't see anyone else regularly starting threads to try and generate discussion in General Music, which is the point of those threads.  The actual polls are a means to an end, the end being to chat about music.  Forgive me for trying to generate discussion about music on a music discussion forum.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #944 on: January 16, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
It’s the shear quantity of them Kev. You had 15 on page one of the GMD board at one point.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion