Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 305011 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #945 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
Well, I think what happened there is a few posters who hadn't been on in a while posted in them all in the same day, thereby bumping like 10-15 threads like that on to page 1 at once basically.  I usually do one a day, which I don't think is that much, and they have been fairly popular.  I always say, if ideas for threads do not generate interest, I bail on them and go back to the drawing board, Wile E. Coyote-style. :lol :biggrin:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #946 on: January 16, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
What's your favorite polls
Amen. It's getting really obnoxious
Plus 1 for me. Come on man.

I don't see anyone else regularly starting threads to try and generate discussion in General Music, which is the point of those threads.  The actual polls are a means to an end, the end being to chat about music.  Forgive me for trying to generate discussion about music on a music discussion forum.

I forgive you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #947 on: January 16, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #948 on: January 16, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »

I don't see anyone else regularly starting threads to try and generate discussion in General Music, which is the point of those threads.  The actual polls are a means to an end, the end being to chat about music.  Forgive me for trying to generate discussion about music on a music discussion forum.

I forgive you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #949 on: January 17, 2018, 07:00:01 AM »
Those last couple sips of your coffee that are now luke warm/cold and have some grounds in them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: January 17, 2018, 07:49:30 AM »
When the songs I would have chosen are not listed in "what's your favorite" polls   :biggrin: :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #951 on: January 17, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »

Count me in as one that likes the polls.   It's at heart a music site.  I like music.   I like talking to my friends about music.  I'm not one that tries to "sell" my music to others, but it's interesting to hear what others think about songs I absolutely LOVE (or HATE).  If one doesn't like the thread/topic/idea, there are other threads to click on.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #952 on: January 17, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
"Working hard?"

When said by someone who assumes that I am not doing anything.

Mofo, I have barely had a chance to even think for the last 3 hours. Yes, I am outside leaning against the hood of my car because the cleaning crew are here and I HAD to leave the office for a few. I am still answering emails from my phone from one person I answer to whilst talking on the phone with some else who has shit they are asking of me.

Fuck off.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #953 on: January 17, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
"Working hard?"

When said by someone who assumes that I am not doing anything.

Mofo, I have barely had a chance to even think for the last 3 hours. Yes, I am outside leaning against the hood of my car because the cleaning crew are here and I HAD to leave the office for a few. I am still answering emails from my phone from one person I answer to whilst talking on the phone with some else who has shit they are asking of me.

Fuck off.

Arrggghhh!! Yes. Also dislike the,  "cushy job" comments.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
I am constantly called a slacker by people who are much bigger slackers than me at work.  It is kind of frustrating.  Because I work mostly alone and remotely, the assumption is that I'm not working, but the reality is far different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #955 on: January 17, 2018, 06:36:04 PM »

Count me in as one that likes the polls.   It's at heart a music site.  I like music.   I like talking to my friends about music.  I'm not one that tries to "sell" my music to others, but it's interesting to hear what others think about songs I absolutely LOVE (or HATE).  If one doesn't like the thread/topic/idea, there are other threads to click on.   

Exactly. There are many threads in General Music that I have no interest in, so I bypass them and move on to ones that might interest me. I get jingle's point about the other day when a bunch were bumped at once and they were all at the top, but by and large, it has not been like that.  Maybe I will get more clever with the thread titles. :biggrin:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #956 on: January 17, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »
Since we're in the mildly irritating thread and already talking about the polls: There are multiple subforums designated for different types of discussions or threads, and a long, ongoing series of polls like this obviously belongs in the "Polls and Survivors" subforum. It kinda bugs me that they are being posted in and being allowed to push down and drown out actual discussions taking place in General Music (let's face it, the majority of the "discussion" in those favourite threads is just people telling everyone what they voted for, hardly stimulating conversation).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #957 on: January 17, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
Since we're in the mildly irritating thread and already talking about the polls: There are multiple subforums designated for different types of discussions or threads, and a long, ongoing series of polls like this obviously belongs in the "Polls and Survivors" subforum. It kinda bugs me that they are being posted in and being allowed to push down and drown out actual discussions taking place in General Music (let's face it, the majority of the "discussion" in those favourite threads is just people telling everyone what they voted for, hardly stimulating conversation).

bosk1 has already made it clear that those kinds of threads (the way I do them) are fine in General Music.  Besides, if they weren't, I would do them at all, since the polls subforum doesn't get nearly as much traffic. I am not sure what is so hard about skipping over threads you aren't interested in. ???

Oh, and to be on topic, things I find mildly irritating: people trying to police the forum.  :biggrin:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #958 on: January 17, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »
At risk of being told off by bosk...him giving you an exception to that doesn't change the fact that the entire point of the Polls/Survivors forum is for poll series to be posted there. That's why Polls/Survivors exists, to have a place for all of that stuff to go so that it doesn't spam up General Music. Otherwise, that subforum would have no reason to exist. You might get even more traffic posting in General Discussion but you aren't posting them there, are you?

And at risk of being told off by bosk again (or more?), I think the only reason you're being allowed to do that is because you are Kev. I am positive that if I had made over a dozen polls in General Music in such a short time, they'd have been moved and I'd have been told not to post them there anymore.

Also I'm not trying to "police" anything, this thread is a place for people to voice what irritates them, and I am doing just that. Policing would be if I had replied to any of your favourite threads and told you not to post them in General Music. I did not do that, and I'm not telling you where to post or not to post even now; merely stating that where you currently are posting them irritates me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #959 on: January 17, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
But Bolsters, they are not polls in the traditional sense. They are basically icebreakers to spur discussion. I don't have any issue with them (I mean, except for the Beatles ones :D). There's been some pretty good back and forth, especially in the Duran Duran one, of all places.
Perhaps the OP could be more defined instead of simply picking "The top ...". Leave it more open ended maybe.

Either that or Bosk could simply open up a Kevshmev sub-forum.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #960 on: January 17, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
Funny, I was just thinking that about the Duran Duran thread; I was pleasantly surprised at what a good discussion came about in that thread. 

Note that most of these polls are not about artists discussed a ton already in General Music.  It is basically an excuse to talk about some of these artists a little more.  Like I have said before, if people didn't participate in them, I would stop doing them, but it seems like a lot of people enjoy them, thus I keep doing them. You can't please everyone, clearly.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #961 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
The only gripe I have with the favorites polls is that almost none of them apply to me.

CATER MORE TO MY TASTES KEV!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #962 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:49 PM »
The only gripe I have with the favorites polls is that almost none of them apply to me.

CATER MORE TO MY TASTES KEV!

You sick bastard! No one goes there! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #963 on: January 17, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
At risk of being told off by bosk...him giving you an exception to that doesn't change the fact that the entire point of the Polls/Survivors forum is for poll series to be posted there. That's why Polls/Survivors exists, to have a place for all of that stuff to go so that it doesn't spam up General Music. Otherwise, that subforum would have no reason to exist. You might get even more traffic posting in General Discussion but you aren't posting them there, are you?

And at risk of being told off by bosk again (or more?), I think the only reason you're being allowed to do that is because you are Kev. I am positive that if I had made over a dozen polls in General Music in such a short time, they'd have been moved and I'd have been told not to post them there anymore.

Also I'm not trying to "police" anything, this thread is a place for people to voice what irritates them, and I am doing just that. Policing would be if I had replied to any of your favourite threads and told you not to post them in General Music. I did not do that, and I'm not telling you where to post or not to post even now; merely stating that where you currently are posting them irritates me.

I'm with ya on all these points Dave.

Hey, I get trying to stimulate discussion... I did it a few years ago with my 'favorite singer' battles for different genres - which were .... wait for it .... POLLS in GMD.  But I spaced them out, when discussion died down on one or a few at a time, THEN is the time to start new ones.  It's like the discography discussion threads, or Top 50 lists, or roulettes... too much of any one thing at a time saturates the sub-forum, and drowns out other things.

And no one's trying to 'police' anything Kev... put on your big boy underoos and take the honest opinions of some of us that might seem less than glowing. ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #964 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
It's like 10 degrees here in St Louis, so my underoos are already on. :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #965 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
But Bolsters, they are not polls in the traditional sense. They are basically icebreakers to spur discussion.
It's a list of songs and you are asked to vote for your favourites of the song listed. If that isn't a "poll in the traditional sense" then what is? :P

Also if these were posted in Polls/Survvors instead, you could still post replies and have a discussion in the threads.

Note that most of these polls are not about artists discussed a ton already in General Music.  It is basically an excuse to talk about some of these artists a little more.  Like I have said before, if people didn't participate in them, I would stop doing them, but it seems like a lot of people enjoy them, thus I keep doing them. You can't please everyone, clearly.
I said it bugged me where you were posting them, I never said I wanted you to stop posting anything altogether or that I don't like the polls at all, I'm simply saying that it mildly irritates me that you post them where you do. I've even voted in almost all of them myself (not The Beatles ones as it happens :lol).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »
Funny, I was just thinking that about the Duran Duran thread; I was pleasantly surprised at what a good discussion came about in that thread. 

I thought that discussion devolved in to "If you listened to Duran Duran in high school, you probably liked boys."  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #967 on: January 17, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »

I thought that discussion devolved in to "If you listened to Duran Duran in high school, you probably liked boys."  :lol

uh oh  :\
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: January 17, 2018, 08:38:57 PM »
I beg to differ! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: January 17, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #970 on: February 01, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
Went to guitar center today at like 1pm. was in the market for a new bass to replace old squier beginner bass. Found a fender prescision bass that I liked and was like "oh, well I'll come back later and trade in my beginner base then buy the new one"

Come back at like 4pm. Go to the desk with the beginner base ready to trade it in. Look for the new one and see that its missing, but hear some dude playing a bass and of course its the one I was gonna buy. and this guy was going to town, fingering the shit out of it. It was like  seeing my girlfriend who is only mildly satisfied by what I can do, just screaming and moaning with pleasure from what this dude is doing. So, cut to the cashier dude looking at the beginner base and being like, "uh my bass tech says the truss rod needs to be slightly adjusted, I can't buy it in this condition", so of course I'm like thinking "well, go get a god damn allen wrench..."

So with the combination of the two things, I just said thanks anyway and left. I ended up giving the beginner bass to a friend and I may go back and buy the defiled bass, if he didn't take her home with him. We'll see.

TLDR  Guitar center blues  :millahhhh

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: February 01, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #972 on: February 02, 2018, 06:06:19 AM »
I find shopping at Walmart to be mildly irritating at the least. What a horrible store. I avoid it, but still end up there a few times a year. And I regret it every single time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:19:16 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #973 on: February 02, 2018, 06:14:36 AM »
Fuck the DMV.

So rather than just taking the change of address form to them (with my current license to surrender and a utility bill addressed to my new address) I have to go to a notary and get the form notarized. Hello red tape  :censored   Not that is the biggest deal in the world or anything. Its just really an unnecessary extra step as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #974 on: February 02, 2018, 06:34:34 AM »
Fuck the DMV.

So rather than just taking the change of address form to them (with my current license to surrender and a utility bill addressed to my new address) I have to go to a notary and get the form notarized. Hello red tape  :censored   Not that is the biggest deal in the world or anything. Its just really an unnecessary extra step as far as I'm concerned.

Damn. I changed my address last year and it took all of 6 minutes at a AAA location.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: February 02, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
Fuck the DMV.

Damn. I changed my address last year and it took all of 6 minutes at a AAA location.

I can do that online up here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: February 02, 2018, 06:57:28 AM »
My local DMV is fantastic, hardly ever a wait there (I think I am lucky in this regards, other DMVs I've gone to have been miserable).  Sure they can be a stickler for the IDs, but that's OK, I just never experienced needing a form notarized with them before which would of annoyed me as well.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #977 on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:00 AM »
My local DMV is fantastic, hardly ever a wait there (I think I am lucky in this regards, other DMVs I've gone to have been miserable).  Sure they can be a stickler for the IDs, but that's OK, I just never experienced needing a form notarized with them before which would of annoyed me as well.

If a form needs to be notarized for the DMV, there should be a notary at the DMV

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:45 AM »

If a form needs to be notarized for the DMV, there should be a notary at the DMV

Well maybe, but I'm sure that would come with a heavier cost than just going to your bank for free.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #979 on: February 02, 2018, 07:13:11 AM »
The CT DMV is the model for every DMV joke ever written.   I had no problems in Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, NC, Philadelphia, PA and Erie, PA.  Each stop had at least one address change; painless.   Funny thing, though; at three of the four I had to clear a tax lien from CT.  Never had to do that in ANY other state, ever.  Sometimes I like CT (and I keep coming back here) but sometimes it blows, and when it blows, it REALLY blows.

EDIT:   For those that have never been here, at the CT DMV - at least in Enfield, where I live - you get in line, talk to an agent, and they send to ANOTHER line, where you talk to another agent, who gives you a number and then you wait - usually from 45 minutes to as much as 3.5 hours - to talk to an agent.   Assuming your shit is in order, you're done, but they will not hesitate to say "oh, sorry, you need THIS form."