Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307092 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4970 on: April 23, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Do we say DTF or the DTF?

There is a comedian, Tom Papa that adds the "The" in front of everything.  It's hilarious. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4971 on: April 23, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
The lol.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4972 on: April 23, 2021, 10:40:37 AM »
Along the grammar lines, over the 13 years I’ve lived in Oregon, in asking what one does for a living, a truck driver, without fail, says he/she “drives truck.” Not “drives a truck,” or “I’m in trucking.” It’s always “I drive truck.” I’d never encountered that phrase in the nearly 30 years I lived in Utah. And I thought it might be a regional thing here, but my wife who grew up in Wisconsin has said that same phrase as well. It perplexes me why they don’t include the “a” in there, but oh well. Whatever.

YES!  That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4973 on: April 23, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
Ask her!  Why did she say that instead of THE States?   Does Brady play in the Super Bowl, or play in Super Bowl?

I'm not sure I could explain WHY it matters, but the obvious distinction is that "States" is plural, while "Super Bowl" is singular.  One says, "I got A migraine" but, when referring to the plural, one says, "I get migraines" (no article).

By the way, do you say, "I'm going to Wal-Mart" or "I'm going to the Wal-Mart"?

Respectfully, I don't think it's as simple as singular/plural.   I think Harmony is closest with respect to "migraine", but with the States thing... we don't say "going to NCAA's" when talking about your local college basketball team making the tournament, it's "THE NCAA's".  And same for "playoffs".  Did the Pats make THE playoffs, or just make playoffs? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4974 on: April 23, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »

There is a comedian, Tom Papa that adds the "The" in front of everything.  It's hilarious.

He's hilarious.  I will sometimes do that as a joke, particularly with Lady Gaga; it was a running joke in Philly that we'd call her THE Lady Gaga.  I think I annoyed Bosk one time by repeated referring to Mother Love Bone as "THE Mother Love Bone" (since it's a lyric in one of the songs). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4975 on: April 23, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
Ask her!  Why did she say that instead of THE States?   Does Brady play in the Super Bowl, or play in Super Bowl?

I'm not sure I could explain WHY it matters, but the obvious distinction is that "States" is plural, while "Super Bowl" is singular.  One says, "I got A migraine" but, when referring to the plural, one says, "I get migraines" (no article).

Respectfully, I don't think it's as simple as singular/plural.   I think Harmony is closest with respect to "migraine", but with the States thing... we don't say "going to NCAA's" when talking about your local college basketball team making the tournament, it's "THE NCAA's".  And same for "playoffs".  Did the Pats make THE playoffs, or just make playoffs?

You didn't answer my question about (the) Wal-Mart.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4976 on: April 23, 2021, 12:56:55 PM »

Oh, yeah:  Honestly?  Both.   I've said both.  When referring to the store generally, "Wal-mart".  As in "don't worry, when we get to your dad's we can get beach balls at Wal-mart".    When referring to the one over on Rte. 5 near me, "the Wal-mart".   As in "goddamn it, I have to run to the Wal-mart to get underwear.  There's a hole in my one good pair."  I will say that it's not 50-50; more often than not it's "Wal-mart". 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4977 on: April 23, 2021, 01:22:06 PM »

Oh, yeah:  Honestly?  Both.   I've said both.  When referring to the store generally, "Wal-mart".  As in "don't worry, when we get to your dad's we can get beach balls at Wal-mart".    When referring to the one over on Rte. 5 near me, "the Wal-mart".   As in "goddamn it, I have to run to the Wal-mart to get underwear.  There's a hole in my one good pair."  I will say that it's not 50-50; more often than not it's "Wal-mart".

I've never heard anyone -- outside of someone poking fun at southerners -- say, "I'm going to the Wal-Mart."  Nor have I ever put or heard someone else put "the" before Target.  I wouldn't say, "I'm going to the Target," but I would say, "I'm going to the Target on Katella."

The more examples we look at, the more I become convinced this is just one of those linguistic quirks that makes English such a special language.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4978 on: April 23, 2021, 01:33:42 PM »
I would never in a million years say "I'm going to the Target".   There's no real rhyme or reason.  As kids we would go to Woolworth's and I would never EVER say going "to the Woolworth's", nor would my grandmother.  But she would absolutely say "going to the A&P" and so would I.  It makes no sense, but it was what it was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4979 on: April 23, 2021, 01:38:09 PM »

I thought you were dying. Are you typing this from afterlife or THE afterlife?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4980 on: April 23, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »
I'm sure I've put "the" in from of Walmart but only under the specific condition of making a distinction between the Walmart in Brockton and the Walmart in Rehoboth.   Same for the Target in Mansfield or the Target in Stoughton.   Otherwise I don't say "I'm going to the Walmart"

This discussion reminds me of this interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RiHHs1HYzE

:rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4981 on: April 23, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm sure I've put "the" in from of Walmart but only under the specific condition of making a distinction between the Walmart in Brockton and the Walmart in Rehoboth.   Same for the Target in Mansfield or the Target in Stoughton.   Otherwise I don't say "I'm going to the Walmart"

Hey I know all those places! And I agree. "The" is usually used before the store name to define which town we're going to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4982 on: April 23, 2021, 05:25:47 PM »
But over on the east coast its take 101 to 60 to 17

This just sounds like a vague maths problem. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4983 on: April 24, 2021, 07:51:24 AM »
But over on the east coast its take 101 to 60 to 17

This just sounds like a vague maths problem. :lol
YEEEESSSSSSS lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4984 on: April 26, 2021, 06:51:20 AM »
"Hospital" is another one, and that seems to be a regional thing; the British are prone to say "I was in hospital".   "Stadler was in hospital".   I would never think of saying anything other than "Stadler was in the hospital."    "Stadler, do you need to go to the hospital?"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4985 on: April 26, 2021, 06:58:49 AM »
"Hospital" is another one, and that seems to be a regional thing; the British are prone to say "I was in hospital".   "Stadler was in hospital".   I would never think of saying anything other than "Stadler was in the hospital."    "Stadler, do you need to go to the hospital?"

What are your thoughts on math vs maths?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4986 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:08 AM »

"Math" is the word I would use when speaking to my boss, a job interviewer, or my step son.   "Maths" is what I would use if I was trying to impress a woman in a bar with my slick, quirky sense of humor.   

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #4987 on: April 26, 2021, 04:05:44 PM »

"Math" is the word I would use when speaking to my boss, a job interviewer, or my step son.   "Maths" is what I would use if I was trying to impress a woman in a bar with my slick, quirky sense of humor.

Maths is a weird one, but understandable since it’s short for mathematics. I’d never use the word “maths” but I get it, at least.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4988 on: April 26, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »

I think I'm the opposite. I generally say "maths" (because I live in a country where that's the norm) but sometimes I'll say "math" in a joking context because it just sounds funnier to me.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4989 on: April 28, 2021, 08:07:34 AM »
When technology designed to make working together easier becomes more difficult. At work we used to have all of our files on the network, so people could go in, open a spreadsheet, add their things, save and close. Now some forms are on the network. Others are available in Teams. Others are on sharepoint sites. I swear there are others too. It's so annoying not to know where to look for stuff anymore.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4990 on: April 28, 2021, 08:21:09 AM »
When technology designed to make working together easier becomes more difficult. At work we used to have all of our files on the network, so people could go in, open a spreadsheet, add their things, save and close. Now some forms are on the network. Others are available in Teams. Others are on sharepoint sites. I swear there are others too. It's so annoying not to know where to look for stuff anymore.

True, too many systems gets confusing on where to find things.  Just recently in our work chat, they had to clarify the email that was sent out for Teams and Skype being decommissioned had nothing to do with us, as only a subset of the company uses those apps for chat, we use Slack and that's not changing, in 2021.  It's like wait, why are so different groups in the same company using different services for the same primary purpose (work chat).  Why do we make things more complicated than they need to be?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4991 on: April 28, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »
So we were in Boston this morning for my wife's eye doctor appointment. We had talked about going to Faneuil Hall to buy my son a birthday present (he loves anything Boston). So we drive from Mass Eye And Ear over to Government Center to try and find a place to park. Now my wife refuses to park in a parking garage and pay those rates. She's like, lets just look for a spot. I fucking drive around for 20 minutes. I could've picked up a tourist and charged them for a tour of downtown Boston. Of course we drive by (maybe) 8 parking garage entrances in the process. And then after 20 minutes of so, I get the "Your driving is giving me a headache" comment. :facepalm: :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4992 on: April 28, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
The life of a married man.  I feel your pain. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4993 on: April 28, 2021, 04:24:29 PM »
So we were in Boston this morning for my wife's eye doctor appointment. We had talked about going to Faneuil Hall to buy my son a birthday present (he loves anything Boston). So we drive from Mass Eye And Ear over to Government Center to try and find a place to park. Now my wife refuses to park in a parking garage and pay those rates. She's like, lets just look for a spot. I fucking drive around for 20 minutes. I could've picked up a tourist and charged them for a tour of downtown Boston. Of course we drive by (maybe) 8 parking garage entrances in the process. And then after 20 minutes of so, I get the "Your driving is giving me a headache" comment. :facepalm: :lol

Trying to save you money.  Sounds like a good woman to me.  :biggrin:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4994 on: April 28, 2021, 07:28:24 PM »
Id rather pay $40 for an uber or a garage than drive around looking for a parking spot

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4995 on: April 28, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
There is a razor thin line with me when comes to deciding between paying an exorbitant parking garage charge and driving around forever looking for a free parking spot.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4996 on: April 28, 2021, 08:19:11 PM »
It would've been $20-$25.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4997 on: April 29, 2021, 07:17:20 AM »

Yup.  Been there (in fact, just two weeks ago in Florida).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4998 on: April 29, 2021, 07:41:02 AM »

My wife is going through "The Change" So she said something to me in poor taste and right away she apologized.  I let her know my meter was at high and it needed to stop right away.  It took a lot not to lose it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4999 on: April 29, 2021, 08:54:14 AM »

My wife is going through "The Change" So she said something to me in poor taste and right away she apologized.  I let her know my meter was at high and it needed to stop right away.  It took a lot not to lose it.

So she thinks Power Windows blows too?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5000 on: April 29, 2021, 09:00:25 AM »
 :lol

Actually, she loves it.  Though Tim she is more of a metalhead.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5001 on: May 14, 2021, 07:43:48 AM »
My iMac has been in the repair shop since I last posted ! Hopefully all fixed now. The screen kept turning itself off and PRAM reset wouldn't sort it out.

Apparently they needed to "reflow" the graphics card and I needed a new screen.

For any PC fanatics - It's a 10 year old imac and this is literally my first issue with it :tup

Oh yeah and I still hate dogs barking ;D I had a lot of doggy cuddles this week - and that's fine. I just wish they didn't bark.

And contrary to popular belief - all the Chihuahuas i've ever met have been really quiet and friendly. Not like their rep at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5002 on: May 26, 2021, 07:30:43 PM »
People who do not use their turn signals.

Hit a 4-way stop earlier with me and the car directly across from me on the other side of the road the only two in sight. He got to the stop sign a good second or two before I got to mine, but no blinker, so we both went about the same time, and of course he suddenly throws his blinker on to turn left and throws him arms up like, "I had the right of way, why did you go?" Uh, because your blinker wasn't on and I didn't know you were turning, asshat. :lol  Fortunately, I am not prone to road rage or reacting to silliness like that in public, so I gave a quick two-handed shrug like, "didn't know you were wanting to turn," and kept going. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5003 on: May 27, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »
Thats super annoying, they just changed the intersection near my house to now be a 4 way stop, instead of 2 way, and the confusion of people is beyond ridiculous for such a simple concept.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5004 on: May 27, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »
Thats super annoying, they just changed the intersection near my house to now be a 4 way stop, instead of 2 way, and the confusion of people is beyond ridiculous for such a simple concept.

It reminds me of an ant that gets it's path disrupted.

The person's usual routine is disrupted, and if they don't know how to quickly adapt, they'll get confused. The adaptation of an ant is to find a way around that disruption and back onto the path.

A person should be able to quickly adapt and understand.

It's the routine of a person that is changes. And I'd they don't like to deal with change, or can't handle change, then they'll have a harder time adapting. I have no idea how or why people just suddenly become dumbfounded when change to their routine suddenly occurs.

If you read the signs on the roads, you would know what is coming up ahead. If you know the rules of driving and what to do in these situations, you can adapt. But, not many people know these rules, and what to do when in these situations that you run into while driving on the road.

Driving Education needs to make a come back in Schools, because over here, people just dont know how to handle situations or why you can't just suddenly stop and make a U-turn in the middle of the street...

Or why you need to use your blinker. I sometimes wish I had a bumper car so when someone doesn't use it and decided to suddenly turn, I could hit them and say, "I didn't know you where turning, I didn't see no blinker."

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD