Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307785 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4830 on: February 15, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »
I don't know that this actually rises to the level of "irritating," but the concept of "unboxing videos" might be the dumbest thing ever.

I'm irritated with the degree to which it seems everything is now a performance.   What's the harm - that's sarcasm - with opening that new item yourself and savoring that moment?   It's your joy, maximize it.

I was watching the Rush documentary this morning and as much as it was fun to watch the dinner sequence, I couldn't help but be reminded that there were cameras there.  I love Rush, I love the guys, I value their ethos, but I can't help but think that's NOT what it's like when there are no cameras around.  I don't care how much integrity you have, it's like the "watched pot"; it can't help but have SOME impact.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4831 on: February 15, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »
Always had a problem with my right ear. Not exactly the ear, it's the whole, um, ear system? Basically the chronic otitis of the right ear for the rest of my life. Like I can't expose my right ear to cold or get water into it. The doctors said I'll just have to go with it, there's nothing to be done.

So we had a few weeks of -20°C before and another week of that now, and despite being very careful (wearing headphones with a hat) my right ear is acting up. I can't chew without a mild/moderate painful sensation and really I hate when this happens.

And the closest doctor appointment available is next week. I'll manage as usual, but man, this is irritating.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4832 on: February 15, 2021, 11:26:00 AM »
I don't know that this actually rises to the level of "irritating," but the concept of "unboxing videos" might be the dumbest thing ever.

I don't mind them so much if its like unpacking a brand new guitar. As we all know that feeling of getting the package in the post and bringing it indoors and the anticipation and excitement.

Sure, but I don't give a rip about some rando doing it and think there's some amount of unjustified arrogance to think that others will care about you doing it.  Moreover, if it's something I might want to buy, seeing someone else opening the package will diminish things when I do it.

Obviously, I don't have to watch, but I still think it's dumb.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4833 on: February 15, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
I enjoy watching people open RC cars/trucks for the first time. I'm not going to purchase 99% of the models that get released, so it's not like anything is getting spoiled for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4834 on: February 15, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
Sure, but I don't give a rip about some rando doing it and think there's some amount of unjustified arrogance to think that others will care about you doing it.

Isn't that, like, the sole purpose of social media?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4835 on: February 15, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »
Sure, but I don't give a rip about some rando doing it and think there's some amount of unjustified arrogance to think that others will care about you doing it.

Isn't that, like, the sole purpose of social media?

Indeed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4836 on: February 18, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
Dialogs that follow the following form:

PERSON A:  [states subjective opinion]
PERSON B:  [states contrary opinion and cites objective facts]
PERSON A:  [doubles down on original subjective opinion but without any facts]
PERSON B:  You're allowed to have whatever opinion you like, but the facts don't really support it.
PERSON A:  But it's my opinion and it's my RIGHT to express my opinion!!!

Well...no shit!  I just don't understand why folks seem to take it as a personal offense when their opinions are challenged.  I know...this horse has long since left the stable (especially on the internet), but I will never not find it frustrating.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4837 on: February 19, 2021, 05:02:36 AM »

PERSON B:  You're allowed to have whatever opinion you like, but the facts don't really support it.

Well...no shit!  I just don't understand why folks seem to take it as a personal offense when their opinions are challenged.  I know...this horse has long since left the stable (especially on the internet), but I will never not find it frustrating.

Sounds like you were listening in on virtually every argument between me and mrs.jingle - or maybe just last night's. :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4838 on: February 19, 2021, 07:27:29 AM »

I was watching Married At First Sight the other night (don't laugh at me; it's a fascinating show) and two of the guys got into what was almost a fistfight.  And the one guy kept saying "You disrespected me! You disrespected me!" and it took a minute, but I realized that to him, "not honoring my opinion and sharing it as your own" was "disrespecting him".   The kid is young, 26, I think, so he'll someday learn his opinions don't mean shit, but it's scary that people will literally FIGHT to justify their opinions rather than face that they might not be accurate, or at the very least, universal.

You find it frustrating, but as I see it more and more on the internet and television, I'm growing more and more contempt for those people that form an opinion - often based on emotion, not fact - and wield it like "truth".   (This is also why I have a hard time with the phrase "MY truth"; it's too often a disguise for that opinion). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4839 on: February 19, 2021, 07:29:45 AM »
I just don't understand why folks seem to take it as a personal offense when their opinions are challenged.  I know...this horse has long since left the stable (especially on the internet), but I will never not find it frustrating.

It's worse when you mention you're not a fan of a band - and the other person insults YOU personally. Or they insult YOU because they don't like one of your fave bands...

:yeahright :yeahright

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4840 on: February 19, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »

I was watching Married At First Sight the other night (don't laugh at me; it's a fascinating show) and two of the guys got into what was almost a fistfight.  And the one guy kept saying "You disrespected me! You disrespected me!" and it took a minute, but I realized that to him, "not honoring my opinion and sharing it as your own" was "disrespecting him".   The kid is young, 26, I think, so he'll someday learn his opinions don't mean shit, but it's scary that people will literally FIGHT to justify their opinions rather than face that they might not be accurate, or at the very least, universal.

You find it frustrating, but as I see it more and more on the internet and television, I'm growing more and more contempt for those people that form an opinion - often based on emotion, not fact - and wield it like "truth".   (This is also why I have a hard time with the phrase "MY truth"; it's too often a disguise for that opinion).

Reminds me of this...
https://youtu.be/g2wpk8lPUQQ
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4841 on: February 19, 2021, 08:32:57 AM »
I just don't understand why folks seem to take it as a personal offense when their opinions are challenged.  I know...this horse has long since left the stable (especially on the internet), but I will never not find it frustrating.

It's worse when you mention you're not a fan of a band - and the other person insults YOU personally. Or they insult YOU because they don't like one of your fave bands...

:yeahright :yeahright

People just take everything to heart now. It's like any little things offends them. That bird shit on me, I hate the bird. That Rain drop splashed on my nice suit, I hate you rain. That person looked at me funny, I hate him now (That person actually has a lazy eye).

It's like people don't like being challenged. Once challenged, they become extremely defensive. And if anything starts challenging them more harder, they shun it until it goes away.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4842 on: February 19, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »
Also when people say there is such thing as a WRONG taste in music and poke fun at you.

That s**t winds me up no end... Like there are bands you're "not allowed" to like.

It's just music. It's air moving. it's frequencies vibrating etc. Listen to whatever the hell you want.

Like "  ;D oh you like U2 ? oh bad luck - I think less of you now "

cool. I'm an adult.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4843 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:21 AM »
Also when people say there is such thing as a WRONG taste in music and poke fun at you.

That s**t winds me up no end... Like there are bands you're "not allowed" to like.

It's just music. It's air moving. it's frequencies vibrating etc. Listen to whatever the hell you want.

cool. I'm an adult.

That actually makes me chuckle because it reminds me of when I was in high school and my friends and I were exploring what we did and didn't like in music.  We would say dumb stuff like, "If you like [name of some non-metal band], then you're not a true metaller!!!!"  I'm fairly sure that, at some point the following happened:

ME:  (thinking to myself after seeing some non-metal video on MTV)  "Hey...that's kind of a cool song.  Oh, wait, it's [e.g., Duran Duran].  They're not metal; I can't like that.  They suck!!!"

:lol :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4844 on: February 19, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »

cool. I'm an adult.

Except the Dave Matthews Band Doesn't Rock.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4845 on: February 19, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »

cool. I'm an adult.

That actually makes me chuckle because it reminds me of when I was in high school and my friends and I were exploring what we did and didn't like in music.  We would say dumb stuff like, "If you like [name of some non-metal band], then you're not a true metaller!!!!"  I'm fairly sure that, at some point the following happened:

ME:  (thinking to myself after seeing some non-metal video on MTV)  "Hey...that's kind of a cool song.  Oh, wait, it's [e.g., Duran Duran].  They're not metal; I can't like that.  They suck!!!"

:lol :lol

Yeah you see some comments sometimes like

" I f-ing hate Metallica - but the new song is really cool. Reload is still shit though "

Like they cannot compliment a band without an insult too or to let everyone know they still think they suck or that they still hate the popular band.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4846 on: February 25, 2021, 12:55:33 PM »
The royal "we."  Like when a waiter walks up to your table and says, "and how are we today?"  No, no.  You are not instantly part of this group.  You are apart from the group.  Do not insinuate yourself into the group.  Also, I find it irritating when people call me "brother." No.  There are three people in this world that are allowed to call me brother.  My brother, my sister, and Hulk Hogan.  That's it!! 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4847 on: February 25, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »
The royal "we."  Like when a waiter walks up to your table and says, "and how are we today?"  No, no.  You are not instantly part of this group.  You are apart from the group.  Do not insinuate yourself into the group.  Also, I find it irritating when people call me "brother." No.  There are three people in this world that are allowed to call me brother.  My brother, my sister, and Hulk Hogan.  That's it!!

<Stadler, thinking back to whether I ever called you "brother"....> 

:) :) :) :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4848 on: February 25, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »

<Stadler, thinking back to whether I ever called you "brother"....> 

:) :) :) :)

Haha!  We are all good, brother.  :neverusethis:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4849 on: February 25, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »
Drummers on Instagram who are more concerned with stick flips and playing as fast/hard as they possibly can - and not - playing tastefully for the song.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4850 on: February 25, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »
Drummers on Instagram who are more concerned with stick flips and playing as fast/hard as they possibly can - and not - playing tastefully for the song.

It’s Instagram. That’s the perfect place for the flashy stuff. No one goes to Instagram for tasteful content.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4851 on: February 25, 2021, 03:58:56 PM »
Yeah its like those YouTube vids of people smashing up expensive cars - because they know the views will pay for it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4852 on: February 25, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »

Lighten up, Brother Francis. :P :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4853 on: February 25, 2021, 04:34:50 PM »
Hey Guys  :D

I got a phishing scam email pretending to be DPD.
The email address was

sandraathome@hotmail.co.uk

so don't spam it with junk whatever you do.  ;) ;) ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4854 on: February 25, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »
Also, I find it irritating when people call me "brother." No.  There are three people in this world that are allowed to call me brother.  My brother, my sister, and Hulk Hogan.  That's it!! 

The company I work for, especially back in the day before multiple takeovers, had a culture where everyone called each other brother. I thought it was cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4855 on: February 25, 2021, 08:09:48 PM »
When someone calls me brotha I feel like I'm listening to Hulk Hogan. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4856 on: February 25, 2021, 08:12:22 PM »
When someone calls me brotha I feel like I'm listening to Hulk Hogan.

I would've never made that connection. Hulk had just started when I grew up stopped watching wrestling.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4857 on: February 25, 2021, 08:53:08 PM »
Jesus H. He said that in the 80's Tim. The 80's were good to you I'd guess. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4858 on: February 25, 2021, 08:57:37 PM »
Jesus H. He said that in the 80's Tim. The 80's were good to you I'd guess. Lol

Yes the 80's were outstanding!

And technically 1981 was apparently still part of the 80's. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4859 on: March 31, 2021, 09:53:16 AM »
This might be more than "mildly irritating," but here goes...

A couple Christmases ago, I needed to find some replacement bulbs for the strands of lights that we hang around the roof of our house.  I found these ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8092Z9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A1C1WJW919EU3R&psc=1 ) and put them in my cart.  When I tried to check out, I got a message -- without explanation -- that they could not be shipped to me.  I didn't give it much thought and figured it might be a glitch and tried again later.  Eventually, I learned that the overlords who run the Peoples' Socialist Republic of California won't allow incandescent bulbs to be shipped into the state.

Ok...

So...last week, I was looking for a new shower head.  I was going to go with something like this ( https://smile.amazon.com/Showerhead-Adjustable-Extension-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B07CVS2CWQ/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=shower+head&qid=1617205715&sr=8-16 ) but this time, this message appeared on the right side of the screen:  "This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location.  Please choose a different delivery location."  Ok...WTF?  Turns out the PSRC won't allow anything with a flow rate in excess of 1.8 gallons per minute.

>:( :censored >:( :censored >:( :censored >:( :censored

I'm assuming this is just a California thing, or do any of the rest of you live in places where the legislatures have nothing better to do than enact inane regulations like this?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4860 on: March 31, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »

A couple Christmases ago, I needed to find some replacement bulbs for the strands of lights that we hang around the roof of our house.  I found these ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8092Z9/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A1C1WJW919EU3R&psc=1 ) and put them in my cart.  When I tried to check out, I got a message -- without explanation -- that they could not be shipped to me.  I didn't give it much thought and figured it might be a glitch and tried again later.  Eventually, I learned that the overlords who run the Peoples' Socialist Republic of California won't allow incandescent bulbs to be shipped into the state.

Ok...

So...last week, I was looking for a new shower head.  I was going to go with something like this ( https://smile.amazon.com/Showerhead-Adjustable-Extension-Stainless-Pressure/dp/B07CVS2CWQ/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=shower+head&qid=1617205715&sr=8-16 ) but this time, this message appeared on the right side of the screen:  "This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location.  Please choose a different delivery location."  Ok...WTF?  Turns out the PSRC won't allow anything with a flow rate in excess of 1.8 gallons per minute.

I'm assuming this is just a California thing, or do any of the rest of you live in places where the legislatures have nothing better to do than enact inane regulations like this?

Nope, it's you!   :)   My state is bad, but not THAT bad.

Seriously, though, it's almost expected at this point that the automobile manuals I need have to have a separate section to cover California emissions standards.   I have no problem in transmittal of information; inform us about those things that we might do to make the world a better place, but this notion that they can actually prevent you from making your own reasonable choices is crazy to me.  The costs they are pushing out to the rest of the nation and the world in no doubt offset any of the benefits they are trying to achieve.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4861 on: March 31, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »

Ok...

Seriously, though, it's almost expected at this point that the automobile manuals I need have to have a separate section to cover California emissions standards.   I have no problem in transmittal of information; inform us about those things that we might do to make the world a better place, but this notion that they can actually prevent you from making your own reasonable choices is crazy to me.  The costs they are pushing out to the rest of the nation and the world in no doubt offset any of the benefits they are trying to achieve.

It's funny...the statement on the shower head almost invited me to have it shipped to a relative in another state who could then ship it to me.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4862 on: March 31, 2021, 10:31:54 AM »

Ok...

Right?  I am doing some home renovations, and I can’t even get lead paint and some asbestos insulation.  Why can’t I make my own reasonable choices?

But seriously, they are products that the State believes show negative impact on the environment, and restrict their sale.  Agree or disagree with that.....it is an individual’s prerogative for sure, but I think this is correctly  a “mildly irritating” issue, and not anything more.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4863 on: March 31, 2021, 11:47:12 AM »
Right?  I am doing some home renovations, and I can’t even get lead paint and some asbestos insulation.  Why can’t I make my own reasonable choices?

But seriously, they are products that the State believes show negative impact on the environment, and restrict their sale.  Agree or disagree with that.....it is an individual’s prerogative for sure, but I think this is correctly  a “mildly irritating” issue, and not anything more.

"Reasonable" being the key word, and there's a rather obvious difference between products that cause physical harm to humans and a shower head's flow rate (and yes, I know you're being facetious).  What's the rationale behind 1.8 gallons per minute?  1.5 gallons per minute would save even more water?  How about 1.2?

Not to get too far into the political, and I don't know when these regulations were enacted, but it's another example of Newsom and his cronies deciding they should make everyone's daily decisions -- rather than governing at the will of the people -- and the apparent mindset of the California Legislature that the state with the most laws on the books wins some sort of prize.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4864 on: March 31, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
Well if it makes any difference, here's a how to video my friend made while installing a shower head and removing the flow restrictor for my shower, I was the camera man for this while he did the work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7eCFSyE844 Honestly, the water pressure is amazing after removing that.