Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 306880 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4620 on: December 07, 2020, 05:51:41 PM »
For the record my PMs are not full.  For once. 

:)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4621 on: December 07, 2020, 06:07:28 PM »
For the record my PMs are not full.  For once. 

:)

Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4622 on: December 07, 2020, 09:08:13 PM »
When some stubborn old bastard asks me to contact someone on Facebook to tell the other DTF'er his mailbox is full in DTF.

Any guesses? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stop being friends with Stadler on FB! Make him earn that!

He doesn't check FB.  I can attest to this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4623 on: December 08, 2020, 04:24:30 AM »
David Caruso on CSI: Miami.  Why am I watching this?  What has my life become?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4624 on: December 08, 2020, 07:03:00 AM »
When some stubborn old bastard asks me to contact someone on Facebook to tell the other DTF'er his mailbox is full in DTF.

Any guesses? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stop being friends with Stadler on FB! Make him earn that!

He doesn't check FB.  I can attest to this.

I feel like FB is the snake in the garden, holding an apple, and I am Eve.   I sometimes feel it's a deep dark hole that I'm best not dipping into.  DTF is my Facebook.  ;)   I'd be surprised if I have more than 25 posts total on Twitter; almost all are congratulatory to someone (the reply Marc mentioned was about PIZZA, and I'm pretty sure I told Gene Simmons I loved him at some point) though every once in a blue moon I'll drop a truth bomb that readers of P/R will recognize immediately. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4625 on: December 08, 2020, 07:11:04 AM »
My car is able to heat my seats and steering wheel, close its side mirrors, automatically open and close its trunk lid, show me a backup view when in reverse, deploy 8 airbags faster than I can blink, access satellites for radio, and allow me to control my phone with my voice.... yet, if I accidentally leave a dome light on overnight, my battery dies and I'm stuck with my thumb up my ass. How have automakers not figured this one out yet?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:46:55 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4626 on: December 08, 2020, 07:12:47 AM »
My car is able to heat my seats and steering wheel, close its side mirrors, automatically open and close its trunk lid, show me a backup view when in reverse, deploy 8 airbags faster than I can blink, access satellites for radio, and allow me to control my phone with my voice.... yet, if I accidentally leave a dome light on overnight, my battery dies and I'm stuck with my thumb up my ass. How have automakers not figured this one out yet?

Truth. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4627 on: December 08, 2020, 07:47:00 AM »

Truth.

Those lights should not be wired to an on/off switch like a living room light, but rather to a button like the ones that turns on my heated seats and resets every time the car is turned off. If the dome light is on when I turn the car off, just shut the thing off after 15 minutes if there's no one in the car (which it knows in order to determine what airbags to deploy).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:06:54 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4628 on: December 08, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »
 :lol that is pretty ridiculous when you think about it

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4629 on: December 08, 2020, 08:35:50 AM »
You know what else I'm stunned that auto manufacturers haven't figured out ... the "auto" setting on full headlights and HUD lighting.  Far too often I see vehicles with only the daytime running light system (ie, low level headlights only) in the pitch black of evening/night (ie, no rear lights).  Why is there nothing to alert the driver that the full lighting system isn't on when it's pitch black?  Like... the HUD lighting system should not be on unless the full exterior lighting is on.

Where's Captain Obvious on the engineering teams of these companies.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4630 on: December 08, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
You know what else I'm stunned that auto manufacturers haven't figured out ... the "auto" setting on full headlights and HUD lighting.  Far too often I see vehicles with only the daytime running light system (ie, low level headlights only) in the pitch black of evening/night (ie, no rear lights).  Why is there nothing to alert the driver that the full lighting system isn't on when it's pitch black? Like... the HUD lighting system should not be on unless the full exterior lighting is on.

It's probably part of their upsell. Automatic headlights on my Mini were part of an $800 bundle that also included automatic wipers and auto-dimming rearview mirror. Though, I'd argue with all the regulations around car and driver safety, I wouldn't mind seeing headlights that come on in the dark as being mandatory. The technology is there and it's super cheap compared to what it was 15 years ago. It should be a safety standard alongside seatbelts and airbags. I can't tell you how many times I've been on some back farm road and have had a ghost car appear out of nowhere.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4631 on: December 08, 2020, 09:07:28 AM »
You know what else I'm stunned that auto manufacturers haven't figured out ... the "auto" setting on full headlights and HUD lighting.  Far too often I see vehicles with only the daytime running light system (ie, low level headlights only) in the pitch black of evening/night (ie, no rear lights).  Why is there nothing to alert the driver that the full lighting system isn't on when it's pitch black? Like... the HUD lighting system should not be on unless the full exterior lighting is on.

It's probably part of their upsell. Automatic headlights on my Mini were part of an $800 bundle that also included automatic wipers and auto-dimming rearview mirror. Though, I'd argue with all the regulations around car and driver safety, I wouldn't mind seeing headlights that come on in the dark as being mandatory. The technology is there and it's super cheap compared to what it was 15 years ago. It should be a safety standard alongside seatbelts and airbags. I can't tell you how many times I've been on some back farm road and have had a ghost car appear out of nowhere.

I can't help but feel there's a hell of a story in there somewhere.   :) :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4632 on: December 08, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »

"It's a Ghost Car!"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4633 on: December 17, 2020, 04:33:28 PM »
Spinning off from a couple posts in the "made you happy" thread:

I can't be the only one in this position.

Probably 75-80% of the stuff in our garage is my wife's.  Our kids are almost 17 and 18 and we sure as shit ain't having more.  We have 3-4 rather large bins of baby clothes/shoes/stuffed animals.  These things haven't seen the light of day in over a decade.  I keep prompting my wife to get rid of at least some of this stuff.  ME: "What are you ever going to do with it?"  HER: "Look at it."  ME: "That's what photos are for, and we have tons of photos of the kids in most of the clothes."  HER: "Well...what about your one bin of old newspapers and Sports Illustrateds?"  ME: "ONE bin."

She also has a bunch of bins of bulletin board material from when she was a teacher.  She spent a ton of money on it, but she pretty clearly isn't going to teach again.  So...let's get rid of it!  NO!

Oh well....  Venting over.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4634 on: December 17, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you pg.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4635 on: December 17, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
We don't have any of that shit, but have at least 30 bins of toys... for the time if/when we ever become grandparents.  Plus, some of the toys might become "classics".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4636 on: December 17, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »
We don't have any of that shit, but have at least 30 bins of toys... for the time if/when we ever become grandparents.  Plus, some of the toys might become "classics".

As someone who has carried a couple bins of toys for "the grandkids" and/or "because they'll be classics" across, let me count 'em, five states. let me know how that goes for you.  :)

My ex and I were like John Myung and Dee Snider.  She threw EVERYTHING away, and I kept stuff.  I've pruned stuff over the years, but I still have a fair amount of stuff in my basement, in bins or on shelves.  My wife doesn't have a bunch of stuff, but she loves clutter and loves to be around stuff.   I can't even get to her desk chair; it's like the cockpit of the SR-71.  It's like a lesson in fung shoe or whatever it is in my house.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4637 on: December 17, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »

As someone who has carried a couple bins of toys for "the grandkids" and/or "because they'll be classics" across, let me count 'em, five states. let me know how that goes for you.  :)

My ex and I were like John Myung and Dee Snider.  She threw EVERYTHING away, and I kept stuff.  I've pruned stuff over the years, but I still have a fair amount of stuff in my basement, in bins or on shelves.  My wife doesn't have a bunch of stuff, but she loves clutter and loves to be around stuff.   I can't even get to her desk chair; it's like the cockpit of the SR-71.  It's like a lesson in fung shoe or whatever it is in my house.

I have no doubt how it's going to go.  But (for now), we have the space to store the stuff, and it's what mrs.jingle wants.  So, unless I want an argument and silent treatment, it's Lazy River time ... just go with the flow.  I've got enough to worry about when that flow is "Aunt Flo"  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4638 on: December 17, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »
Commercials.   Yet another in the "I'm going to surprise my spouse/partner with a car!"    Guy and girl - both INSANELY hot - are walking in the snow and he says "I got you something" and does a whistle.  This cute puppy comes running through the snow and jumps in her arms.  She's happy as a clam, and says "I got something for YOU!" and does a whistle.  This GMC one-ton pickup comes bounding over the snow (who's driving it?) and slides to a stop in front of him.  The commercial fades with him literally hugging the hood of the truck.   

It's GMC, because they have another where the insanely hot wife gets "his and hers" Apple-type watches, one red and one black, and the insanely hot husband says "I got something for YOU!" and they go out and there's two full size GMC pickups in the driveway, one red and one black.  Of course, SHE takes the black one ("that was mine!" he says feebly) and they live happy ever after. 

Ridiculous.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4639 on: December 17, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »

I have no doubt how it's going to go.  But (for now), we have the space to store the stuff, and it's what mrs.jingle wants.  So, unless I want an argument and silent treatment, it's Lazy River time ... just go with the flow.  I've got enough to worry about when that flow is "Aunt Flo"  :lol

No, I hear you; been there, done that. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4640 on: December 17, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
Commercials.   Yet another in the "I'm going to surprise my spouse/partner with a car!"    Guy and girl - both INSANELY hot - are walking in the snow and he says "I got you something" and does a whistle.  This cute puppy comes running through the snow and jumps in her arms.  She's happy as a clam, and says "I got something for YOU!" and does a whistle.  This GMC one-ton pickup comes bounding over the snow (who's driving it?) and slides to a stop in front of him.  The commercial fades with him literally hugging the hood of the truck.   

I've seen that commercial and I'm always wondering what the guy is thinking, who the fuck is driving the truck and how does my girl know him?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4641 on: December 17, 2020, 06:27:46 PM »
On this issue of hording, everytime I go to throw something away, my wife goes..."We should donate that."

WTF? I'm going to donate it to the dump!

We literally have old window shades (nice ones), but we're not using them. I was going to take them to the dump, and she's like, Let's donate that to Habitat To Humanity. OK, No fucking way!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4642 on: December 17, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »

It's GMC, because they have another where the insanely hot wife gets "his and hers" Apple-type watches, one red and one black, and the insanely hot husband says "I got something for YOU!" and they go out and there's two full size GMC pickups in the driveway, one red and one black.  Of course, SHE takes the black one ("that was mine!" he says feebly) and they live happy ever after. 

Ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEylCwkSxE
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4643 on: December 17, 2020, 07:00:18 PM »

I've seen that commercial and I'm always wondering what the guy is thinking, who the fuck is driving the truck and how does my girl know him?

HAHA!  I swear, I wrote "and is she banging him?" after "who's driving it" but figured it was crass.  But I'm right with you!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4644 on: December 17, 2020, 07:08:36 PM »
I've literally seen both of those commercials in the last 15 minutes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4645 on: December 17, 2020, 07:25:53 PM »
On this issue of hording, everytime I go to throw something away, my wife goes..."We should donate that."

I get this all the time. She is loathe to throw anything away. I ask her about how we should go about that, and she says she is to busy "to handle it now," "now" basically being "the school year" (she is a teacher) so this crap has to sit around till July.

As we are getting rid of our baby/infant/toddler stuff, I started posting on Offer Up, but was getting so little response it just wasn't worth it. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4646 on: December 17, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »

We literally have old window shades (nice ones), but we're not using them. I was going to take them to the dump, and she's like, Let's donate that to Habitat To Humanity. OK, No fucking way!

Must be a chick thing .... Mrs.jingle is the same.

I’ve taken stuff to Goodwill that they’ve said “pass” on. You know it’s crap when even they don’t think (or know) they can’t give it away.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4647 on: December 17, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
This hurts to the core on so many levels. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4648 on: December 18, 2020, 06:03:57 AM »
The stupid tiktok dance videos. I don't have tiktok, because I'm not 15, but they're infiltrating my instagram. So fucking obnoxious. Terrible dancing set to terrible songs for the most part. Can't wait for that trend to die.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4649 on: December 18, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »
Spinning off from a couple posts in the "made you happy" thread:

I can't be the only one in this position.

Probably 75-80% of the stuff in our garage is my wife's.  Our kids are almost 17 and 18 and we sure as shit ain't having more.  We have 3-4 rather large bins of baby clothes/shoes/stuffed animals.  These things haven't seen the light of day in over a decade.  I keep prompting my wife to get rid of at least some of this stuff.  ME: "What are you ever going to do with it?"  HER: "Look at it."  ME: "That's what photos are for, and we have tons of photos of the kids in most of the clothes."  HER: "Well...what about your one bin of old newspapers and Sports Illustrateds?"  ME: "ONE bin."

She also has a bunch of bins of bulletin board material from when she was a teacher.  She spent a ton of money on it, but she pretty clearly isn't going to teach again.  So...let's get rid of it!  NO!

Oh well....  Venting over.

It took my wife all of 2 days to fill the garage up with shit when we got our first house. We got into an argument where more-or-less told her I bought a house with a garage to keep my car in there and to make peace with it, I also pointed out that aside from Christmas decorations anything that goes into the garage never comes back out. 4 years later after having her car constantly in the driveway and getting into when it's cold/hot she finally realized the error of her ways and cleaned out her half of the garage to keep her car in there.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4650 on: December 18, 2020, 06:20:42 AM »
The stupid tiktok dance videos. I don't have tiktok, because I'm not 15, but they're infiltrating my instagram. So fucking obnoxious. Terrible dancing set to terrible songs for the most part. Can't wait for that trend to die.

This is my gripe across all of social media. I hate Twitter. I hate everything about it. I think it's a terrible platform. I like Instagram for the most part because it's typically just photos and videos. People don't really express their thoughts as much on that platform (at least those that I follow). Yet, it's slowly turning into a Twitter 2.0. I follow people that just upload screenshots of their Tweets to Instagram. Drives me nuts. If I wanted to see what was on your Twitter feed, I'd follow your Twitter feed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4651 on: December 18, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »

This is my gripe across all of social media. I hate Twitter. I hate everything about it. I think it's a terrible platform. I like Instagram for the most part because it's typically just photos and videos. People don't really express their thoughts as much on that platform (at least those that I follow). Yet, it's slowly turning into a Twitter 2.0. I follow people that just upload screenshots of their Tweets to Instagram. Drives me nuts. If I wanted to see what was on your Twitter feed, I'd follow your Twitter feed.

Add in that twitter now has "fleets" which is the same thing as Instagram/Facebook stories/Snapchat and all the social medias are slowly turning into the same app.  Personally, I like twitter the most because it's less personal to me.  Facebook is way too personal and I hardly use it anymore.  IG is solid, but I also just hardly use it.  Twitter however I am very active on and love how occasionally I'll even interact directly with musicians I like on there, never get that interaction on other social media.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4652 on: December 18, 2020, 09:34:54 AM »

I swear I don't understand like half of this very short post.   :lol

You're not related to Dennis Miller, are you?

Fortunately, when my wife finally decides to part with something, it's "get it into the trash and get it out of here!"

Ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEylCwkSxE

LOVE it!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4653 on: December 18, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »

I swear I don't understand like half of this very short post.   :lol

You're not related to Dennis Miller, are you?

This is why I write novels!  To be understood!   (Though I'd take the comparison to Dennis Miller any day of the week; I love the hidden references). 

Short version:  I tend to hoard, but keep stuff in boxes in the basement.  I have a hard time parting with things.  She doesn't hoard, but likes things very cluttered. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4654 on: December 18, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »

I scroll Instagram when i'm chilling in bed at night and it seems every single video. bar none. Has to have a song on it for some reason.

Also the absolute Vanity level on that app is beyond. To me - the worst human traits are vanity and arrogance. I think the more someone is clearly in love with themselves

- ironically the less attractive they are.