Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308348 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4340 on: October 14, 2020, 06:51:18 PM »
I know it makes me a curmudgeon, but kind of tired of the "2020 sucks" and "2020 can fuck right off" line of reasoning.   I guess it's a defense mechanism, but it doesn't make any sense to me.  Our circumstance is what it is, and we deal or we don't.

I think it's just a small talk way of coping.

That reminds me..when I was a store manager and I would greet the associates, I let everyone know straight off that when I ask them how's it going, there are two answers that were unacceptable:
1. Peachy, or ducky
2. Same old same old, or same shit different day
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4341 on: October 14, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
Shit Stads. Don't follow me on Facebook.   I posts funny shit about that subject all the time.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4342 on: October 14, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Don't follow me on Facebook. 

No problem! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4343 on: October 14, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »
You wouldn't know how to sign up you old fuck.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4344 on: October 14, 2020, 08:18:44 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4345 on: October 15, 2020, 07:18:10 AM »
Shit Stads. Don't follow me on Facebook.   I posts funny shit about that subject all the time.  Lol

Haha, nah, I'm just being crochety. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4346 on: October 21, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
I was on vacation all last week and I still didn't motivate myself to sort out my 4500+ song 'favorites' playlist on Spotify into more neatly organized mini-playlists. 2 weeks ago it was, "I'll have all the time in the world to finally do this!" And Monday came and I thought, "I'm not spending all day doing this!" Damn myself  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4347 on: October 21, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Probably more than mildly irritating...

Fucking political ads that are clearly premised on the notion that the viewer is an absolute moron.  Most specifically, ads for ballot initiatives that say little more than, "Don't be fooled by the SPECIAL INTERESTS behind Proposition 947!"  As opposed to the "special interests" that are opposing Prop 947?  What exactly are "special interests"?  Are there "less-than-special interests"?  Even worse is the fact that these ads wouldn't exist if they didn't work to some extent.

DOUG:  "Why aren't you voting for Prop 947, Bob?"
BOB:  "I saw this ad that said voting for 947 will ensure that babies start being born with octopus tentacles, and I sure as heck don't want that!"
DOUG:  "Umm...did you actually read the proposition?  Or the legislative summary?"
DOB:  "I don't have time for that!"

Election day can't come soon enough....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4348 on: October 21, 2020, 09:37:32 AM »
Probably more than mildly irritating...

Fucking political ads that are clearly premised on the notion that the viewer is an absolute moron.  Most specifically, ads for ballot initiatives that say little more than, "Don't be fooled by the SPECIAL INTERESTS behind Proposition 947!"  As opposed to the "special interests" that are opposing Prop 947?  What exactly are "special interests"?  Are there "less-than-special interests"?  Even worse is the fact that these ads wouldn't exist if they didn't work to some extent.

DOUG:  "Why aren't you voting for Prop 947, Bob?"
BOB:  "I saw this ad that said voting for 947 will ensure that babies start being born with octopus tentacles, and I sure as heck don't want that!"
DOUG:  "Umm...did you actually read the proposition?  Or the legislative summary?"
DOB:  "I don't have time for that!"

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4349 on: October 21, 2020, 10:15:17 AM »
 :lol

Perfect!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4350 on: October 21, 2020, 10:17:25 AM »

Word.

(Though, fair is fair; several of the Biden ads are world class.  No fear-mongering, just a plain-faced statement by someone you wouldn't expect to be making same.  Now, that's not to say that someone can't say they aren't therefore in their own way misleading, but still.  Not the typical ad with the picture of the opposing candidate looking like they're squeezing out a crap and doing something illegal all at the same time.)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4351 on: October 21, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4352 on: October 21, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
(Though, fair is fair; several of the Biden ads are world class.  No fear-mongering, just a plain-faced statement by someone you wouldn't expect to be making same.  Now, that's not to say that someone can't say they aren't therefore in their own way misleading, but still.  Not the typical ad with the picture of the opposing candidate looking like they're squeezing out a crap and doing something illegal all at the same time.)

I don't have any problem with candidate ads that say, "I'm great and here's why."  I can't stomach the ads that say, "Navin Johnson is terrible!  He didn't vote to provide funding for poor black children," when, in fact, the reason he didn't vote for that funding is because the bill in question also provided for the harvesting of those children's kidneys.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4353 on: October 21, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
I got an email from someone asking if I'm available at "3pm CST today."  Of course, we're still in DST, so...I really want to respond and then, when he hasn't called me at noon PDT, ask what's going on.  But I'll be nice....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4354 on: October 21, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
I got an email from someone asking if I'm available at "3pm CST today."  Of course, we're still in DST, so...I really want to respond and then, when he hasn't called me at noon PDT, ask what's going on.  But I'll be nice....

OMG... same here.  Someone sent me a note recently to meet at sometime EST, but I let it slide ... especially since I was pretty sloppy about that for a long time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4355 on: October 21, 2020, 02:56:37 PM »

OMG... same here.  Someone sent me a note recently to meet at sometime EST, but I let it slide ... especially since I was pretty sloppy about that for a long time.

If it had been someone I knew better, I'd have given him crap about it.  Oh well....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:49:33 AM by pg1067 »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4356 on: November 08, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
Person : *dies*

Someone online : :"OMG FUCK OFF 2020!!!!"

Yeah it's almost as if people are supposed to live forever...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4357 on: November 08, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »

:tup :tup :tup

Pretty soon, we're gonna get one a day...

" It used to be that every group in New New York wanted their own parade. Why, when I was a boy, we had a parade every day. Those were dark times."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4358 on: November 08, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
It's Alex Trebek's day today.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #4359 on: November 09, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »

Yeah, that...

I am so tired of the conception that the year has something to do with natural (or unnatural) occurrences, as if death and tragedy are novel occurrences that pick and choose when to concentrate themselves. This seemingly ubiquitous belief that our position in space and time is somehow making things worse bothers me, too. It's as if people believe the tick over to a new year actually changes the way the universe works.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4360 on: November 09, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »
Y'all are entirely missing the point of why people say that

It's not blaming the year for anybody's death so much as it is expressing how much the current year sucks and they want it to end and move on to what is hopefully going to be a better year next year without maybe losing as many beloved celebrities. Literally nobody thinks the year caused the death or is responsible for it
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4361 on: November 09, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »
I get that; but to me it sounds sort of... escapist.   Like "flipping the calendar" is going to make things magically better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4362 on: November 09, 2020, 10:36:57 AM »
Well, it might, in a very small personal way, to an individual. No different from when the clock hits midnight on January 1st and everyone celebrates as if literally anything has changed but the date. Today, class, we're going to learn about the word 'rhetoric' :) :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4363 on: November 09, 2020, 04:06:41 PM »
2021 has already gotten off to a more promising start...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4364 on: November 10, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
Y'all are entirely missing the point of why people say that

It's not blaming the year for anybody's death so much as it is expressing how much the current year sucks and they want it to end and move on to what is hopefully going to be a better year next year without maybe losing as many beloved celebrities. Literally nobody thinks the year caused the death or is responsible for it

:\

I'm doing that because, our beloved celebrities we know of who may die is gradually increasing. As we are hitting the era of when TV/Media Celebrity began to hits its uprising.

But yeah, the main point is giving themselves hope of a better new cycle, as that is what a year represents and cultures have different yearly cycles. It's the season of change ( :biggrin:)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4365 on: November 10, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
Irritating:

"this changes everything".   Really? <David Lee Roth voice> "I don't feel tardy!"
"the [insert something completely banal and useless] that we need!"   New network TV shows are starting up, and if I hear that in an ad one more time, I'm going to scream.   "The episode we need!".  No, I need a vacation, a stiff vodka, and a back rub, not your dumb show!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: November 10, 2020, 11:58:39 AM »
Irritating:

"this changes everything".   Really? <David Lee Roth voice> "I don't feel tardy!"
"the [insert something completely banal and useless] that we need!"   New network TV shows are starting up, and if I hear that in an ad one more time, I'm going to scream.   "The episode we need!".  No, I need a vacation, a stiff vodka, and a back rub, not your dumb show!

That reminds me of when you see commercials on TV - and literally anything cat related is " Purrrr-fect ! "

Or anything to do with outer space is " Out of This World ! "

And there are people who get PAID to come up with these slogans.

Honestly think i've seen each example used for over 1,000 different products.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4367 on: November 10, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
Irritating:

Pssshh. Suit yourself. My year has been boring as shit and I don't follow sports. I'm looking forward to the new season of Battlebots, premiering December 3 on Discovery Channel (8pm-10pm EST), more than anything else in life right now. I NEED it. I need some kind of return to the way things were in the before times.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4368 on: November 10, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »
Irritating:

Pssshh. Suit yourself. My year has been boring as shit and I don't follow sports. I'm looking forward to the new season of Battlebots, premiering December 3 on Discovery Channel (8pm-10pm EST), more than anything else in life right now. I NEED it. I need some kind of return to the way things were in the before times.

No, I hear you, I do.  It's more the idea that I'm being told what I need.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4369 on: November 10, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »
I've never used "essential" oils. Should I be dead ?

I've never seen Citizen Kane - which is a MUST see film - are the Police after me ?

The last time I watched a "must see" film it was " Y Tu Mama Tambien " and it was a sack of shit.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4370 on: November 10, 2020, 01:02:45 PM »

I've never seen Citizen Kane - which is a MUST see film - are the Police after me ?

The last time I watched a "must see" film it was " Y Tu Mama Tambien " and it was a sack of shit.

This makes absolutely no sense.  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4371 on: November 10, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
Irritating:

No, I hear you, I do.  It's more the idea that I'm being told what I need.

But you said that you're being told that it's the "episode WE need."  You're not being told that it's the "episode YOU need."  You're just not part of "we."

Ummm...perhaps it will come as a surprise to you, but many words in the English language have more than one meaning.  The word "essential," for example, has many more meanings than "necessary to the maintenance of life."  It could mean "necessary to" any number of things other than the maintenance of life -- e.g., Moving Pictures is essential to a true understanding of Rush as a musical act.  But even that's not it.  The #1 definition of "essential," according to Merriam-Webster, is "of, relating to, or constituting essence: inherent."  An essential oil is an oil that contains the essence of something -- e.g., lemon, spearmint, lavender, etc. -- and the word "essence" has nothing at all to do with being necessary to anything.

So...in your prior example, you decided that "essential" means "necessary to the maintenance of life," but in this example, "must see" (which is essentially a synonym for that definition of "essential") means only that you "must see" it or face criminal liability (or, since you capitalized "Police," maybe you're concerned that Gordon, Andy and Stewart will try to chase you down)?  Huh?  Do you have no concept at all of figurative speech?  "Must see" in the context of a movie means a movie that must be seen to have a full understanding of a genre or a base of knowledge of classic movies.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4372 on: November 10, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »

I don't think it is common any more, but I remember a time when anything new seemed to be touted as having "space-age technology."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4373 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:36 PM »

I don't think it is common any more, but I remember a time when anything new seemed to be touted as having "space-age technology."

Wow, that's far out!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4374 on: November 11, 2020, 03:24:05 AM »
wow a lot of people on this forum can't see an obvious joke