Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308648 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #4305 on: October 09, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »
My childhood was mostly VHS tapes. I was watching Mrs. Doubtfire when I was 4.  :lol :lol

I watched the premiere of Mork & Mindy a month before my 11th birthday and, at the time, didn't know what a VHS tape was!

Now get off my lawn, you whippersnapper!

Speaking of Mrs. Doubtfire, this is awesome:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ckv_Dz-Sio

But lets be honest.  You were young for most of it.  You weren't engrained to sit down at this exact time, with the family to watch one episode.

I can still remember...you got M*A*S*H on Monday, Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley on Tuesday, CHiPs, Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Saturday.  Don't remember the rest of the week, but I'd page through the TV Guide to figure out what I was doing every night.  Miss an episode and you have to wait weeks for reruns.  Miss the rerun and you were fucked.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4306 on: October 09, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »
Mash was my dad's show.  I remember watching the final episode with him.  I think it was 1983.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4307 on: October 09, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »
I remember loving TGIF on Nickelodeon as a kid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4308 on: October 09, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
:lol

But lets be honest.  You were young for most of it.  You weren't engrained to sit down at this exact time, with the family to watch one episode.  It's funny how spoiled we are these days.  Everything at the tips of our fingers in seconds.

And if you missed it, YOU MISSED IT.  No reruns until summer, no on demand, no Youtube... 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4309 on: October 09, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
Come on guys!

dst

DST

DST!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4310 on: October 09, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4311 on: October 09, 2020, 12:28:00 PM »

But lets be honest.  You were young for most of it.  You weren't engrained to sit down at this exact time, with the family to watch one episode.  It's funny how spoiled we are these days.  Everything at the tips of our fingers in seconds.

And if you missed it, YOU MISSED IT.  No reruns until summer, no on demand, no Youtube...

I can sort of relate to that actually. When I was growing up there was this block of animation on Cartoon Network called Toonami, and at that time, for years it ran from 3-6 PM central time. Some of the shows they played ran very long arcs, like Dragon Ball Z, and even though they'd play an episode a day, if you missed it, you'd have to wait sometimes months to see that episode again (because once they reached the end of the dubbed episodes that were available, they would recycle the schedule and start the entire show from the beginning - meaning you'd be waiting something like 200+ days to see the episode again in DBZ's case). And that's not factoring in potential delays getting the new stuff dubbed for America. That sucked... but when the newly dubbed episodes arrived, holy f, it was an event every day for me and the boys for like 2 months straight. So they wouldn't just play random episodes, they would follow the show's episodes chronologically, to keep the story consistent.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4312 on: October 09, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »
When people bitch and moan about not being able to watch an entire season of a show and have to wait a whole week for another episode. Man. There's an endless ocean of content out there and you complain 'cause you're all about instant gratification. I for one like waiting a week and spending that week thinking about the episode I just watched and theorizing what's going to happen next and spending time dwelling on the plot and characters. You binge watch a whole season in a day or two and it's so much harder to concentrate on moments from episode 2 because you're on episode 8 that same evening. Grinds my gears

I'm actually GLAD that Star Trek Discovery and Picard were weekly. If All 13 episodes were available at once - i'd watch all 13 in one day then have to wait an entire year or more for new episodes.

This way - one episode a week - when the series is over - you're actually three months closer to a new series.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4313 on: October 09, 2020, 12:34:09 PM »
 :angry: :angry: :angry:

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS ?

When I shift without using the clutch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4314 on: October 09, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »

I still remember watching the final episode of Fresh Prince of BelAir with my family.  I know I'm not as old as you, but I still remember my childhood of being engrained with watching TV shows at certain times, and you better not miss it because there was no DVR or ondemand.  You'd have to catch the re-air, which required finding the right time to sit in front of the TV still.  You'd have to look at the TV Guide magazine to figure this stuff out.

True but as a kid you would watch by your dad's needs mostly.  Today, When you pick, you have cart blanch every night.

Right, because the idea of having a TV in every room was flat abSURD.   One TV in the main room. MAYBE a second one in the basement or my parents bed room.   13 channels, but not really; 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13 at my house, and 2 were repeats (2 and 3 were CBS, 7 and 8 were ABC.  NBC was 4, but the local affiliate was on 30, which we didn't get very well.   5, 9 and 11 were local NY stations (I forget what 5 was but Wonderama was on it, 9 was WOR and had the Mets, and 11 was WPIX and had the Yankees).  Channel 13 was PBS out of NJ, and had Sesame Street and Electric Company.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4315 on: October 09, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »
I can sort of relate to that actually. When I was growing up there was this block of animation on Cartoon Network called Toonami, and at that time, for years it ran from 3-6 PM central time. Some of the shows they played ran very long arcs, like Dragon Ball Z, and even though they'd play an episode a day, if you missed it, you'd have to wait sometimes months to see that episode again (because once they reached the end of the dubbed episodes that were available, they would recycle the schedule and start the entire show from the beginning - meaning you'd be waiting something like 200+ days to see the episode again in DBZ's case). And that's not factoring in potential delays getting the new stuff dubbed for America. That sucked... but when the newly dubbed episodes arrived, holy f, it was an event every day for me and the boys for like 2 months straight. So they wouldn't just play random episodes, they would follow the show's episodes chronologically, to keep the story consistent.

I remember when I was 9 or 10, I was waiting for a DBZ episode to start and 10 minutes before starting there was a blackout on my town. I called my grandma who was a 30 minute walk away from me, and she had electricity!. I ran to her house just to make sure I wouldn't miss the episode and I made it 1 minute before it started :coolio  :hat
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4316 on: October 09, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
You guys had it nice. Up here in the Northwest, we had 4(ABC), 5(NBC), 7(CBS), 9(PBS) and then 11 and 13 were local stations. I think there was also a UHF station, but I rarely watched it.

I do remember the elaborate tin foil decorations needed to try and enhance the signal on my rabbit ear antenna when I wanted to watch 13 (which was out of Tacoma instead of Seattle)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4317 on: October 09, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »

That's another pet peeve:  I watch King Of Queens* at night; it's an hour block of two back-to-back episodes.  There are seasonal arcs to the show, but the block doesn't follow that.  So for example, the 11:00 o'clock ep is a part one of two, but the 11:30 show isn't part two, it's another episode from another season.  Part two doesn't come until 11:00 the next night.  Minor point (first world problems) I know, but it does disrupt the flow. 

* Almost every episode has at least one scene where either my wife or I look at the other and say "wow, that's us/you." 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4318 on: October 09, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »
I WAS MY DAD'S REMOTE CONTROLER BEFORE I THERE WAS REMOTE CONTROLERS!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4319 on: October 09, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »
Right, because the idea of having a TV in every room was flat abSURD.   One TV in the main room. MAYBE a second one in the basement or my parents bed room.   13 channels, but not really; 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13 at my house, and 2 were repeats (2 and 3 were CBS, 7 and 8 were ABC.  NBC was 4, but the local affiliate was on 30, which we didn't get very well.   5, 9 and 11 were local NY stations (I forget what 5 was but Wonderama was on it, 9 was WOR and had the Mets, and 11 was WPIX and had the Yankees).  Channel 13 was PBS out of NJ, and had Sesame Street and Electric Company.

We had the three networks:  CBS was 2, NBC was 4, and ABC was 7.  3, 8, 10 and 12 were just static.  5 (KMPC and then KTLA), 9 (KHJ), 11 (KTTV) and 13 (KCOP) were local, unaffiliated stations.  And then you had UHF channels:  52 and 58, I think.  I got a small, black & white TV in my room sometime after I turned 10 or so (but I'd still watch all the first-run stuff on the "big" TV with my mom).  You'd turn the mail dial to "U" and then dial in the specific UHF station on a secondary dial.  I remember Angels games being on 5, and the Dodgers were on 11.  Occasionally, I'd catch a Kings or Lakers game on 9.  The UHF stations had reruns of stuff like McHale's Navy and F-Troop and old cartoons after school.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4320 on: October 09, 2020, 01:09:30 PM »

You wanna talk about it?

Take a seat....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4321 on: October 09, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »

You wanna talk about it?

Take a seat....

He boast about it to this day.  LOL

One thanksgiving, 10 years ago I went down to my old bedroom in the cellar.  I heard him yell to me.  I ran upstairs and when I got their he says, "Can you change the station Joe?"

He lets out a huge laugh.  Son of a bitch! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4322 on: October 09, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »

You wanna talk about it?

Take a seat....

He boast about it to this day.  LOL

One thanksgiving, 10 years ago I went down to my old bedroom in the cellar.  I heard him yell to me.  I ran upstairs and when I got their he says, "Can you change the station Joe?"

He lets out a huge laugh.  Son of a bitch! :lol

HAHAHAHAHA.   I think that's why we have kids; for moments like that.    I'll bet he was waiting for opportunity to arise for weeks or months!     :) :) :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4323 on: October 09, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »
He still chuckles when I tell that story.  LOL

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4324 on: October 09, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »
I remember one time when I was a little kid my dad made me take out the trash, and he would heckle me from the kitchen window. I remember one day he got me with a really, REALLY heavy bag of trash and he was making me laugh so hard I couldn't carry it. I think it was when he called me Santa Claus that made me give up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4325 on: October 09, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »
You guys had it nice. Up here in the Northwest, we had 4(ABC), 5(NBC), 7(CBS), 9(PBS) and then 11 and 13 were local stations.

Ah, memories!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4326 on: October 12, 2020, 07:26:07 PM »
Mildly irritating:  commercials that have the "click clack" of a keyboard, or a mouse clicking.  GTFO.  I spent money on a mouse so I didn't have to listen to that stupid click. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4327 on: October 13, 2020, 06:58:01 AM »

This.  Also, cliffhangers.  It's bad enough waiting week-to-week (and few shows were so serialized as they are now), try waiting 4 months with a massive cliffhanger!  Also, no pausing TV.  If you had to take a piss, or do something (get snacks), it had to be done in the commercial break.  Commonly heard phrase in those days "Hurry, commercial break is over"... followed by frantic footfalls throughout the house as someone came sprinting back to the TV room.

Back on the topic of the dude taking a squirt not-on-mute.   :facepalm:  On the rare occasion that I can't break away from a call, but my teeth are floating ... I triple/quadruple check to ensure I'm on mute.  That's just brutal of the guy - and an quite likely an embarrassment that won't pass anytime soon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4328 on: October 14, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »
I know it makes me a curmudgeon, but kind of tired of the "2020 sucks" and "2020 can fuck right off" line of reasoning.   I guess it's a defense mechanism, but it doesn't make any sense to me.  Our circumstance is what it is, and we deal or we don't.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4329 on: October 14, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
I know it makes me a curmudgeon, but kind of tired of the "2020 sucks" and "2020 can fuck right off" line of reasoning.   I guess it's a defense mechanism, but it doesn't make any sense to me.  Our circumstance is what it is, and we deal or we don't.

Let me add to the "tired of" list:

In these unprecedented times
In these uncertain times

So tired of those phrases...... :tdwn

Offline Adami

« Reply #4330 on: October 14, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »

In these uncertain times

Why?

I mean, if you want to get super specific and semantic about it, these aren't unprecedent in the long run of history. But for every person alive today outside of some select few? These are unprecedented times.

And of course they're uncertain times.

Where is the empathy? or is this just code for "people should shut the hell up and never complain about things"?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4331 on: October 14, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »
None of this stuff bothers me, this is the life we've been given and if we can joke about "fu 2020" then I think we are for the better, personally.  Some of those phrases do get annoying but that's just because of the repetition of hearing them so often, not because of the actual meaning behind them.  Kind of like anything else, you hear it enough you'll get sick of it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4332 on: October 14, 2020, 10:26:48 AM »
My only quibble with those phrases is that they're overused crutches that a lot of folks seem to think they need to throw into what they say/post for no useful reason -- as though "more so now than ever" is going to go over folks' heads.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4333 on: October 14, 2020, 10:28:08 AM »

I find that more funny than irritating. It's as if it'll all go away when the clock strikes 12 on 1/1/21.

I can see how it's irritating though, when people use it as an excuse for things going bad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4334 on: October 14, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
Where is the empathy? or is this just code for "people should shut the hell up and never complain about things"?

I can't speak for the two posters you quoted, but it is entirely possible to have empathy and want people to shut up and quit complaining.  Empathy does not necessarily preclude a desire to not enable negativity.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4335 on: October 14, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »

In these uncertain times

Why?

I mean, if you want to get super specific and semantic about it, these aren't unprecedent in the long run of history. But for every person alive today outside of some select few? These are unprecedented times.

And of course they're uncertain times.

No that's not it at all. Those phrases are so overused. I stream a radio station when I work and every other commercial seems to use these phrases and have been since March. But, wow, did you super-duper analyze my post.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #4336 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
I didn’t analyze anything. I was honestly asking. The answer you gave was no. So it’s cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4337 on: October 14, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »

I can't speak for the two posters you quoted, but it is entirely possible to have empathy and want people to shut up and quit complaining.  Empathy does not necessarily preclude a desire to not enable negativity.

That's where I was parked.   It's not about "empathy"; it's about this twitter way of dealing with things that seems so pervasive in our society. It's like we're increasingly incapable of dealing with the reality that's in front of us, and that's scary to me.    Death has been with us for a while now (what, at least a coupled decades, right?) so I'm more speaking to what seems to me an escapist way - figuratively or literally - of distancing from that. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4338 on: October 14, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
I have compassion and empathy - for those who deserve it. But if you told me that you have the Covids and you think you got it at a party you were at and didn't wear a mask and did not socially distance, I would do a Dave Chappelle on yo ass and walk away.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4339 on: October 14, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »

Well, I wouldn't say if this year should fuck off or not, but it definitely sucks as pretty much everything I planned for this year got postponed to the next year or I guess even 2022. :) It's such a stark contrast for me too, as 2019 was probably the best year of my life so far.

I deal with it, I do, but it still sucks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.