Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308036 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3570 on: May 22, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »
But seriously, aren't the two (a "statement" and "I like it") kind of intertwined?

Well...if the statement is, "I got this tattoo because I thought it would be cool," then sure.  That's pretty much the only statement I made/make with my one tattoo (a bass clef on my left upper arm).  Also, the statement that I saw when I hovered over the link you posted ("having tattoos . . . is a sign of low self esteem"), as a blanket statement, is preposterous on its face.

I've never seen any episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Ditto.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3571 on: May 23, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »
I have 2 tattoos, currently have teal hair, a beard, and at one time a single ear peircing. I used to dye my hair a lot in high school and the first couple years after high school, and just did again recently because I could (currently waiting for my place of work to call me back in to start again- as soon as they do I'm trimming my beard and my hair is going black).

At no time was any of this me saying "Fuck you" to the man.   Okay...  I bleached my hair (and shaved my goatee) back in 2011 when my ex and I broke up... And that was a fuck you to her since she was anti clean shaven and colored hair me).

Anyways my complaint of the day...

We get a lot of packages. USPS, FedEx, UPS, Prime... Usually at least one from each per day. The property we love on technically has 4 units on it. None of them are technically labeled as separate units (2 are attached to the main house, ours is attached to the garages). We have notes on all of out packages directing where to leave them (we even have a little table set up in front of our unit with a sign).

We set this up because we were losing packages left and right. They would be delivered to the wrong part of the property, or even left in crazy places (I've seen them toss packages under cars... Yea)

I just overheard our landlord telling out postal guy to just start leaving our packages out in the driveway instead of at our door and she'll "take care of them".  Then she went back into her house. So now I have to go out and hunt down our packages.  It wouldn't be a big deal... If it wasn't for the fact that we also get a lot of food delivery things like Dinnerly / Blue Apron etc... That get left out in the driveway for long periods of time.... With landlord and / or other tenants physically out there... And we discover them only afte they've been out in the sun for that period of time.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3572 on: May 23, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »

I purposefully wear a large beard.  It makes me look very intimidating.  Which is useful when I used to walk home from work in the middle of the night in my inner city.  Because of my size and beard, knew nobody would try to mess with me, which translates to me getting home safely to my family.

This reminds me of when I used to meet my cousin downtown for Blues games when he used to get season tickets and I'd go to a handful of games a season with him.  It's not the bad part of downtown, but because we were meeting there (since we live in completely opposite directions), I'd have a few blocks to walk by myself and I would always wear my Blues hoodie and actually put the hood on when doing the fast walk, figuring anyone would be less likely to mess with me. :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3573 on: May 25, 2020, 05:58:43 AM »
I hate mowing the lawn. I swear I can see the grass growing right now. It's getting long so damn fast! I want someone to genetically engineer a grass variety that grows to the ideal length and then just stops growing. No more mowing, still have natural grass.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3574 on: May 25, 2020, 06:03:38 AM »
I hate mowing the lawn. I swear I can see the grass growing right now. It's getting long so damn fast! I want someone to genetically engineer a grass variety that grows to the ideal length and then just stops growing. No more mowing, still have natural grass.

Word.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3575 on: May 25, 2020, 06:54:37 AM »
Spent 2 hrs yesterday doing that - on a riding mower.  We've got over an acre of property, which is mostly a grass field.  I don't collect the clippings as I go, so there's a lot for the jingle.kids to rake up cuz it's been growing so fast.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3576 on: May 25, 2020, 07:00:07 AM »
Monday is mowing day for me. Beats gathering fallen leaves when you have a lot of trees though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3577 on: May 25, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
I should have mowed the lawn this weekend but didn't.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3578 on: May 25, 2020, 07:16:52 AM »
Spent 2 hrs yesterday doing that - on a riding mower.  We've got over an acre of property, which is mostly a grass field.  I don't collect the clippings as I go, so there's a lot for the jingle.kids to rake up cuz it's been growing so fast.

Why would you collect the grass after you've already cut it?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3579 on: May 25, 2020, 07:31:31 AM »
Monday is mowing day for me. Beats gathering fallen leaves when you have a lot of trees though.
I need to mow again today even though I mowed on Friday. It's raining right now though, so not likely I'll be able to. It'll be  a jungle by the time I'm able to get to it again.

On the plus side, I bought a new mower that I'm comfortable having my older boys use, so they'll be taking over at least some of the mowing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3580 on: May 25, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
People who attack others on their social media posts. Especially when they could have just minded their own business. I've blocked 2 people who are members of a tribute band I used to support because they'd go on political rants on crap I or friends post.

I get having your own opinion. That's your right. But it cost you a group of guys who legit used to rant and rave about how awesome they are. Who have been trying to get to a show of there's (pre COVID) that isn't 3 hours away.

I mean... I sat next to this dude (by chance) at the last DT show I went to.

Oh well.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3581 on: May 25, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »

I won't... my kids will.

But, to answer the question, because the grass is so freaking long, it leaves huge clumps of it all over the place.  Clogs the yard, plus the dogs try and eat it which give them the shits.

#DogsStillBetterThanCats
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3582 on: May 25, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
I watch Food Network a LOT - Chopped, Guy's Grocery Games, Supermarket Stakeout, and World's Worst Cooks are the standouts, plus anything with Alton Brown - and it's amazing to me how much of a cliche the whole image thing has become.   I get it; because of the hours, because of the structure of the food industry it lends itself to that (it's not a 9-to-5 cubicle job) but I can't tell you how many episodes of Chopped start with a spiky, pink-haired person with an eyebrow ring and two full sleeves talking about what a "bad-ass" they are in the kitchen and end with Alex Guarnaschelli and Scott Conant sending them home in the first round for chewy pasta and a soupy risotto.
I'm not gonna get into the tattoo talk, just gonna say that the thing that mildly irritates me now is that I don't have Food Network anymore so I can't go on about what I saw on Chopped today. I need my fix of Alex and Scott sending people home too!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3583 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:03 AM »
Minor quibble, but I got mildly irritated this weekend over the repeated use of the "the ultimate sacrifice" euphemism.    Look, I think I understand the sentiment behind it (compassion), and I wouldn't say this literally anywhere else but here or to my family at the dinner table, but now, having a stepson currently serving in Afghanistan (and finding out his mission isn't EXACTLY as low-key as he told us), I had a couple moments this weekend where I felt it was taking the easy way out and actually showing a disservice to those that are doing the dirty work, doing things that need to be done. 

If they can actually die, we can at least say the word.   Acknowledge it for what it is.  Then again, it was a nice weekend and I started getting his house ready for his return (as of now he's going to self-quarantine for 14 days when he gets back in the end of the summer) and maybe I just want him to come home. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3584 on: May 26, 2020, 07:59:58 AM »

If they can actually die, we can at least say the word.   

https://youtu.be/MCaljpu1bW4?t=138
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3585 on: May 26, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »

I won't... my kids will.

But, to answer the question, because the grass is so freaking long, it leaves huge clumps of it all over the place.  Clogs the yard, plus the dogs try and eat it which give them the shits.

#DogsStillBetterThanCats

Maybe you should get animals that aren't so dumb they continually eat things that give them the shits. Or an animal that won't eat its own shit.  :lol

#DogsNeedSpecialEducation
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3586 on: May 26, 2020, 08:02:28 AM »
#catsneedmichelins

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3587 on: May 26, 2020, 08:07:41 AM »
#catsneedmichelins

I don't even understand this one  :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3588 on: May 26, 2020, 09:06:21 AM »
Minor quibble, but I got mildly irritated this weekend over the repeated use of the "the ultimate sacrifice" euphemism.    Look, I think I understand the sentiment behind it (compassion), and I wouldn't say this literally anywhere else but here or to my family at the dinner table, but now, having a stepson currently serving in Afghanistan (and finding out his mission isn't EXACTLY as low-key as he told us), I had a couple moments this weekend where I felt it was taking the easy way out and actually showing a disservice to those that are doing the dirty work, doing things that need to be done. 

If they can actually die, we can at least say the word.   Acknowledge it for what it is.  Then again, it was a nice weekend and I started getting his house ready for his return (as of now he's going to self-quarantine for 14 days when he gets back in the end of the summer) and maybe I just want him to come home.

I was really irritated by the fireworks throughout my neighborhood this weekend.  Yes, Memorial Day is different than it has been in years past, with most people staying close to home.  That doesn't mean that you have to blast off fireworks every night to entertain yourself.

What struck me is how blowing off fireworks is the exact opposite of how we should celebrate the day:  "Hey, let's honor dead soldiers by recreating the exact same sounds as the explosives that killed them!"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3589 on: May 26, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
Minor quibble, but I got mildly irritated this weekend over the repeated use of the "the ultimate sacrifice" euphemism.   

I may be a dick for saying this.....but I'm there with this whole medical worker=hero's thing as well.

I completely understand that those workers are in harms way.....I get it. But, it's also a job that they chose to do and that they've been in harms way since the day they took it. Like everything else.....what was a nice sentiment in recognizing those workers efforts and hours they were putting in has now been beaten to death enough to where the very mention of medical worker=hero makes me roll my eyes and want to scream. It shouldn't be that way but it is......advertisers and the media have ruined it.

Now more than ever......we're all in this together.......   :puke:

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3590 on: May 26, 2020, 10:34:33 AM »
Medical workers are heroes because without them a lot of people would die. Let's not get too cynical. Yeah not all of them are standing there with their fingers in a guy's throat as he's bleeding out, but they're heroes for helping people and being literally on the frontlines against deadly/new diseases in an area that's concentrated with sick people. That the media loves to sensationalize everything shouldn't let you lose sight of that :(

I don't think you're a dick, Gary, it's just a different perspective. Just my two cents is all.

Although, might as well throw another two cents in, "these uncertain times" annoys me. Just say it, nobody doesn't know about COVID-19 or what the pandemic is.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3591 on: May 26, 2020, 10:42:23 AM »
Medical workers are heroes because without them a lot of people would die. Let's not get too cynical. Yeah not all of them are standing there with their fingers in a guy's throat as he's bleeding out, but they're heroes for helping people and being literally on the frontlines against deadly/new diseases in an area that's concentrated with sick people. That the media loves to sensationalize everything shouldn't let you lose sight of that :(

I don't think you're a dick, Gary, it's just a different perspective. Just my two cents is all.

Although, might as well throw another two cents in, "these uncertain times" annoys me. Just say it, nobody doesn't know about COVID-19 or what the pandemic is.

Let me clarify more.....I completely agree with the sentiment behind medical workers being hero's. What I'm 'mildly irritated' at is the around the clock commercials, highway signs and sky lettering telling everyone they are. The media/advertisers have ruined a good thing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »
Huh. I don't particularly understand why you'd let that bother you, but I get the distinction.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3593 on: May 26, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
But contrast this with the other discussions about the dick weeds that are using masks for butt floss.  I've said this too many times now; we've become experts at the grand (but meaningless) gesture, and SHIT at the smaller, more crucial gestures.

Anyone here - including the medical professionals =  that wouldn't make this trade: "all the lawn signs and hearts in the window" for "everyone wearing a mask and staying 6' feet from their next closest human"? 

I get it, it's totally anecdotal and useless in terms of any analysis, but the house directly across the street:  big heart in the front window with a rainbow... and those stupid fuckerspeople spend all day Sunday in their side yard - about 25 of them - pounding beer, eating pizza and otherwise thumbing their nose at any and all seemingly not engaging in COVID-19 preventative measures.  Actually, one woman showed up with a mask, and a guy said something to her and she took it off, laughing, and that was the only mask I saw all day.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: May 26, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
Huh. I don't particularly understand why you'd let that bother you, but I get the distinction.  :metal

I don't either  :lol   I think this lock down/pandemic is getting to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3595 on: May 26, 2020, 11:03:47 AM »

I don't either  :lol   I think this lock down/pandemic is getting to me.

I think it's getting to a lot of us, and in different ways.  I find myself being very anti-social lately and while I'm aware of it and don't like it, I'm not feeling any motivation to change.  In fact, I feel little motivation for anything.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3596 on: May 26, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
I'm with you Cram; I spent the entire weekend around the house - cutting the lawn, spring cleaning, throwing stuff out - and I wouldn't have traded it for any barbeque or get-together. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3597 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
But contrast this with the other discussions about the dick weeds that are using masks for butt floss.  I've said this too many times now; we've become experts at the grand (but meaningless) gesture, and SHIT at the smaller, more crucial gestures.

Anyone here - including the medical professionals =  that wouldn't make this trade: "all the lawn signs and hearts in the window" for "everyone wearing a mask and staying 6' feet from their next closest human"? 

I get it, it's totally anecdotal and useless in terms of any analysis, but the house directly across the street:  big heart in the front window with a rainbow... and those stupid fuckerspeople spend all day Sunday in their side yard - about 25 of them - pounding beer, eating pizza and otherwise thumbing their nose at any and all seemingly not engaging in COVID-19 preventative measures.  Actually, one woman showed up with a mask, and a guy said something to her and she took it off, laughing, and that was the only mask I saw all day.   

Add fighter jet fly-overs and you've got it 100% correct.  I'd elaborate but we'd have to take it to the pissed off thread because it is more than mildly irritating to the healthcare workers I know and love.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »
I'm with you Cram; I spent the entire weekend around the house - cutting the lawn, spring cleaning, throwing stuff out - and I wouldn't have traded it for any barbeque or get-together.

Well my problem also extends to doing all that stuff.  I have plenty of things around the house I should be doing but I have no motivation, for anything really.  I pay someone to mow my lawn, but theres so muhc other yardwork I should be doing and yet I just let it all grow.  I have this audio cable across my basement floor to connect my TV output to my surround sound (so I can use my Roku on the speakers) and its been run across the floor for almost 2 months now where I can just run it properly through the ceiling... but I have no motivation.  I did finally clean my house yesterday as I was really getting fed up with the cat hair build up on the floors, but I should have done that awhile ago.  I could be doing so much more at work as well, but I feel like I'm just doing the bare minimum.  I very much feel like the stay at home stuff is affecting my mental health in terms of being productive and moving towards something.  I just feel so stagnant and uninterested in changing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3599 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »
Finally, my wish for people to see the benefits of antisocial, solitary behavior is being fulfilled!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3600 on: May 26, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
I very much feel like the stay at home stuff is affecting my mental health in terms of being productive and moving towards something.  I just feel so stagnant and uninterested in changing.

I think we're going to see a lot of that, both at the individual and the macro level.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3601 on: May 26, 2020, 11:50:37 AM »
Not to minimize any mental health issues that are obviously effecting many people but with the increase in alcohol and marijuana use, I wonder how much of the inability to feel motivated stems from that?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3602 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:19 AM »
Not to minimize any mental health issues that are obviously effecting many people but with the increase in alcohol and marijuana use, I wonder how much of the inability to feel motivated stems from that?

Based solely on my experience with clients? Very little. Almost all of my clients aren't drinking more than normal or smoking pot and they are all mostly feeling unmotivated. It's likely due (in a large part) to a lack of structure and so forth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »

Based solely on my experience with clients? Very little. Almost all of my clients aren't drinking more than normal or smoking pot and they are all mostly feeling unmotivated. It's likely due (in a large part) to a lack of structure and so forth.

I can only speak for myself, but I feel the lack of seeing an "end" to all this being something that bothers me.  Like why should I be motivated to stay home all summer?  I dont think it helps that I work and live alone so my human interaction is very little and while I'm not a people person, I think losing the already small amount of human interaction I did have is having some effect.  The one positive thing I have going is about staying in shape and I've been pretty good there through all this, I think that exercise does help me mentally. 

I will add that I have been drinking more than usual and maybe that plays a role here (it likely does) but my marijuana consumption has been the same or maybe even less (even with WFH, I hardly find myself using during the day even though I'm home). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3604 on: May 26, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »
Not sure if this belongs here or in the Coronavirus thread, but I am sick of watching shows with people on their computers talking to me. I get it. I appreciate the content, and many shows have done a great job keeping us entertained. I suppose it's necessary.

One of the sports talk shows I watch at night finally has one of the hosts IN THE STUDIO! About damned time.

I've been going to work every fucking day, and you mean to tell me that one or two hosts can't sit in a fucking studio and do a show??