Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308772 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3465 on: May 14, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »
Mornings and sunny days are the bane of my existence.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3466 on: May 14, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
I'm with you, I hate being a night owl who has to get up at 6:00 in the morning for work.  But why sunny days?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3467 on: May 14, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm with you, I hate being a night owl who has to get up at 6:00 in the morning for work.  But why sunny days?

I assume for the same reason he hates garlic, churches, and wooden stakes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3468 on: May 14, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
 :lol

The sun is too bright. I like cloudy days - plenty of sunlight, but not enough that you have to squint. The only benefit from that is that I get to wear sunglasses. A bright blue sky is soooo boring and oppressive to me; clouds are natural works of art, absolutely beautiful and make the sky so much more interesting to look at. Also if the sun is out it's likely to be really warm and I like feeling cool outside. In Illinois here if it's ever over 70 it's very likely to be humid, too, and I don't fare well in temperature over like, 70. 50-60 and rainy is my idea of a perfect, comfortable day. But above all else, I'm genuinely not happy on sunny, warm days - I am more likely to be in a foul mood on what most people would consider a 'beautiful day' but I am in a very chipper mood on those dreary ones. Always have been. SAD? I dunno. Always thought about getting one of those sunlight lamps.

The only non-obvious benefit of the sun is that I get to wear sunglasses outside because I am extremely awkward with what to do with my eyes when I pass strangers. Are they looking at me? Do I look at them? Are they thinking, "Why's this asshole looking at me?" Then I panic. Sunglasses, I can just stare straight ahead and not worry. I realize how absolutely insane this sounds. I get it.  :lol

I should just move to Seattle and/or a cabin in the woods, I know.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3469 on: May 14, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »
I don't think that's weird, I think those are good reasons.  I think finding ways to feel good inside are very important in this day and age.  And perhaps a little harder to come by than it used to be.

I used to live in Oregon, and there was hardly ever sun.  And the summers rarely got above 80.  And there are LOTS of places to go get a cabin in the woods.  It just might be your perfect place :).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:02:42 AM by Northern Lion »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: May 14, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
Maybe it's time to hit the Oregon Trail :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3471 on: May 14, 2020, 03:57:45 PM »
Black Flies.  They need to die.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: May 14, 2020, 04:07:53 PM »

You need to get yourself one of these, buddy!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3473 on: May 14, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Amen

Offline Adami

« Reply #3474 on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »

Black flies matter!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3475 on: May 14, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
Guys, it's Flies of Color.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: May 14, 2020, 06:11:54 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3477 on: May 14, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »
What are black flies specifically?

Couple years ago I turned on my AC after a week of not being home and DOZENS of drain flies shot up out of my air vent. The ducts were so old and neglected they didn't even exist anymore so my AC was just shooting air into the crawlspace. Those disgusting flies would like... disintegrate when smushed and leave a black smudge. Ugh. Awful bugs

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3478 on: May 14, 2020, 06:45:19 PM »

Flies that are black. WTF? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: May 14, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
They last about a month but they swarm you like no tomorrow.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3480 on: May 15, 2020, 04:21:30 AM »
Often times I'm working on stuff in the evening and I suddenly get great ideas or am doing cool stuff, but then I have to go to bed because I get tired and need to get up again the next morning. This annoys me, why do I 'always' get great inspiration at stupid times?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3481 on: May 15, 2020, 06:04:52 AM »

Flies that are black. WTF? :lol

No shit?! Wow! Smartass.  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3482 on: May 15, 2020, 06:49:13 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3483 on: May 15, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
Mildly irritating... when grown adults wish death upon an elected official (or anyone) and they get extremely mad at you for calling them out on such a despicable thing to say. Also walking it back with "that's just how I feel" and "I don't really mean it" simultaneously  :rollin I get people don't like politicians but DUDE...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3484 on: May 15, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
I find that particularly irksome, to be honest. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3485 on: May 15, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
I find that particularly irksome, to be honest.

Nah, I'm just a whiny bitch apparently.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3486 on: May 15, 2020, 08:12:33 AM »
Mildly irritating... when grown adults wish death upon an elected official (or anyone) and they get extremely mad at you for calling them out on such a despicable thing to say. Also walking it back with "that's just how I feel" and "I don't really mean it" simultaneously  :rollin I get people don't like politicians but DUDE...

That is really troublesome.  I've seen it too.  I'm one of those guys who dislikes almost all politicians, but I would never wish death on any of them.  Also, it seems to be equal on both sides of the isle.  I'm sure this has existed for a long time at some level or other.  But it seems to me to be more widespread now-a-days.  A very ugly part of our modern culture.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3487 on: May 15, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »

Awww, don't feel bad little buddy. I certainly wish death upon you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3488 on: May 15, 2020, 08:23:48 AM »

That is really troublesome.  I've seen it too.  I'm one of those guys who dislikes almost all politicians, but I would never wish death on any of them.  Also, it seems to be equal on both sides of the isle.  I'm sure this has existed for a long time at some level or other.  But it seems to me to be more widespread now-a-days.  A very ugly part of our modern culture.

It just seems to me to be the epitome of intolerance.  "I disagree with your ideology, and so you must die!"  Sounds like a bad James Bond movie. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3489 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »
[Serious] If Germans wished death upon Hitler as he was rising to power, would they have been in the wrong?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: May 15, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
[Serious] If Germans wished death upon Hitler as he was rising to power, would they have been in the wrong?

There is a vast difference between wishing death on someone like Hitler and wishing death on your governor because you don't like where he's from or some of his policies or how he's handling a pandemic. Governor Pritzker of Illinois didn't throw millions of people into death camps and pit the world against itself and posit a theory of a master race and racial supremacy. Come on, now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:00:58 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3491 on: May 15, 2020, 08:57:37 AM »

That's a good point, and as a hindsight is 20/20 thing, you're right.  But I think it's pretty hard to truly tell who will become a murderous tyrant and who won't until that actually happens.

Back on subject, I HATE BLACK FLIES, and would happily murder every single one of them if given the opportunity  :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3492 on: May 15, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »

There is a vast difference between wishing death on someone like Hitler and wishing death on your governor because you don't like where he's from or some of his policies or how he's handling a pandemic.

True, but you said " when grown adults wish death upon an elected official (or anyone)", which is what I was responding to.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3493 on: May 15, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »

And to complete the trifecta, "It was just a joke!" (which is often paired with, "gosh, lighten up and have a sense of humor").
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #3494 on: May 15, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
Along with "I'm just saying...."  or "No offense but.." [insert something personally offensive]

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3495 on: May 15, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »

Okay, Godwin.  :)

For me, and I recognize that it's just me, this fails on a pragmatic, legal, moral and philosophical basis:

- at that point he hadn't actually implemented any of his more odious ideas, and was merely a political rival;
- at that point he had not actually been charged with any crime, nor found guilty of any crime for which his death could have been justified, so this is basically implementing the death penalty with no due process;
- I'm anti-death penalty to begin with, so I don't think it's just for any human to take another's life with premediation.  Convictions are only good when they're difficult to implement, so this is one such case;
- one would have to know why one is advocating for his death, but this sort of makes my point:  if you're presumably killing him because he was wrong to commit genocide, that to me is potentially hypocritical.

Really, the only basis to justify killing him would be an alternate philosophical one; that is, regardless of the moral aspect, if you could take ONE life and in so doing save 50 to 60M*, then I guess it's math that has to be done.  I can't in good conscience apply that to a current politician here, even Trump.   The causation is not proximate enough. 

* A rough approximation of the European theater deaths - military and civilian - from WWII, a war assumed to be largely started by Hitler for purposes of this discussion.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: May 15, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »
Along with "I'm just saying...."  or "No offense but.." [insert something personally offensive]

Bless your heart.  :heart
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3497 on: May 15, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »

Okay, Godwin.  :)

For me, and I recognize that it's just me, this fails on a pragmatic, legal, moral and philosophical basis:

- at that point he hadn't actually implemented any of his more odious ideas, and was merely a political rival;
- at that point he had not actually been charged with any crime, nor found guilty of any crime for which his death could have been justified, so this is basically implementing the death penalty with no due process;
- I'm anti-death penalty to begin with, so I don't think it's just for any human to take another's life with premediation.  Convictions are only good when they're difficult to implement, so this is one such case;
- one would have to know why one is advocating for his death, but this sort of makes my point:  if you're presumably killing him because he was wrong to commit genocide, that to me is potentially hypocritical.

Really, the only basis to justify killing him would be an alternate philosophical one; that is, regardless of the moral aspect, if you could take ONE life and in so doing save 50 to 60M*, then I guess it's math that has to be done.  I can't in good conscience apply that to a current politician here, even Trump.   The causation is not proximate enough. 

* A rough approximation of the European theater deaths - military and civilian - from WWII, a war assumed to be largely started by Hitler for purposes of this discussion.

Absolutely.  Like I said earlier, hindsight is 20/20 and it seems now that it would have been better that Hitler was never been born, or died before he got power.  But no crime, no punishment.  Pre crime/thought crime will only lead further down the road to tyranny.  Then our society will be no better than the one he made.

I still hate black flies though, and for that matter mosquitos can go to Hell too!  :biggrin:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3498 on: May 15, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
Well I wish death upon everyone.  Technically we all die, so I’m not really wishing anything unusual or evil.  I mean it’s actually a good thing.... just ask the Highlander..... who wants to live forever?

That’s what I would say to anyone who wished death to anyone else.  I would say, “Right?  Even the Highlander knows you shouldn’t live forever.  Thank you for being thoughtful.”

People who haven’t watched Highlander and learned the valuable truth about immortality are the REAL irritating ones.....not the ones who wish death
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3499 on: May 15, 2020, 08:07:08 PM »
People who haven’t watched Highlander and learned the valuable truth about immortality are the REAL irritating ones...
Anyone who doesn't have an intrinsic need to watch a cheesy fantasy movie where a Queen song plays every five minutes is suspicious.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise