Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308709 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3430 on: May 01, 2020, 03:13:29 PM »
I have tried out a bunch of music players for my phone, and finally settled one I am 99% happy with. The 1%? Sometimes when an album has more than one disc, it shows the discs out of order, ('Delicate Sound of Thunder disc 2' before 'Delicate Sound of Thunder disc 1', for example). It wouldn't be a problem, except the album title gets truncated if it is too long. For example, it will show 'Delicate Sound of Th', so I can't see which disc it is. And since it isn't always the one it should be, so I have to click on it to determine which it is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3431 on: May 07, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »
Not having to leave for work anymore means I'm home to witness a newfound annoyance with people who snooze their alarms.  And by snooze, I don't mean "Alarm goes off, turn it off, repeat x5". Rather, both my roommates have a near identical (chirp-bell) alarm that will repeat for at least 15 minutes while...they continue to hear it too? Are unable to because it doesn't wake them up? This process can and has gone on for an hour or more in the morning, starting up again just after I thought I was free.

It doesn't help that the house was built in the late '60s and has thin walls where there is no place free from that god-awful sound unless I wear headphones, but that's after it already woke me up from down the hall.  :\

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3432 on: May 07, 2020, 11:00:38 AM »
Not having to leave for work anymore means I'm home to witness a newfound annoyance with people who snooze their alarms.  And by snooze, I don't mean "Alarm goes off, turn it off, repeat x5". Rather, both my roommates have a near identical (chirp-bell) alarm that will repeat for at least 15 minutes while...they continue to hear it too? Are unable to because it doesn't wake them up? This process can and has gone on for an hour or more in the morning, starting up again just after I thought I was free.

It doesn't help that the house was built in the late '60s and has thin walls where there is no place free from that god-awful sound unless I wear headphones, but that's after it already woke me up from down the hall.  :\

Yeah....ummm....I'd have a serious conversation pretty quick with them. That's just disrespectful. If you're not gonna get up then don't set an alarm.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3433 on: May 07, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »

Yea, this is annoying and the best thing about my brother moving out last year.  I used to yell from my bed when it was bad and he'd finally get up.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3434 on: May 07, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
I've never understood not being able to wake up in the morning. I rarely even manage to sleep until the alarm goes off and then I keep it at the lowest volume I can. I'm awake within seconds.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: May 07, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »

Oh man. I've usually got two alarms, the second one goes 45 minutes after the first one, and that's it. I thought that was somewhat lazy approach, then I went and stayed at my friends' apartment at another city a few years ago.

His alarm goes off, he sets it to five minutes later, rinse, repeat for an hour and a half. 90 minutes of this. Fuck me. Obviously I didn't complain as I was staying at his apartment but this is just so alien to me. I can't imagine not even bothering to turn off the alarm. Wtf.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3436 on: May 07, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »
Why would you set an alarm 45 minutes apart?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3437 on: May 07, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
Wow, glad I'm not the only one.  :lol  The worst part of it, and why I haven't made a stink about it (yet...), is that it's really not that loud of an alarm. I'd rate it as an annoying drip of water from outside your window when it's dead quiet. In fact, here's the offending ringtone.

I only actually hear the 2 louder chirps and one bell at the end through the walls, which makes it all the more infuriating because now it doesn't flow rhythmically.  >:(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3438 on: May 07, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »
That would drive me insane!  I wake up before my alarm these days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3439 on: May 07, 2020, 05:39:15 PM »
When I was in college, I used to set an alarm for 3:00 a.m.  I'd turn it off and then go back to sleep - very contended with the knowledge that I had another four hours (or whatever) before I actually had to get up.  Every time I tell that story, I get looked at like I'm insane.  In retrospect it was weird, but I loved it at the time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3440 on: May 07, 2020, 09:52:09 PM »

I usually do as well, but I still hit the snooze on my alarm a few times (which no one can hear but me). My alarm is the intro to the live version of U2's Bad. The synths are an easy way to get woken up on the rare days where I don't wake up before the alarm kicks in.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3441 on: May 08, 2020, 01:41:07 AM »
Why would you set an alarm 45 minutes apart?

So I would wake up and think hey, I've got 45 more minutes to sleep, fantastic. :lol

I don't know, that's just something that works for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: May 08, 2020, 06:12:22 AM »
Gotta rant and get this out somewhere. We recently decided to paint the interior of the house. It's the color that came with the house when we built it, all one shade of off white. I hate painting, I did it for years when I ran the hotel and I don't want to do it again so I hired a pro that was highly recommended by our friends. Their work looked fantastic in the few homes that they've done. The first two days they painted the ceiling and the two guest bedrooms. Looks flawless, the wife and I are super happy. Yesterday they did the master bedroom and two bathrooms except the owner of the company didn't help out. One of his crews were here. Well the fucking rooms look like blind kids went in and painted. There is paint all over the carpet, paint all over parts of the ceiling that they painted the day before, they hung everything back on the wall while the paint was wet it stuck to the wale. The moldings have chunks of wood missing. I mean it's a night and day the difference between the guest rooms and the master.

I still have the majority of the house to be done, loft, living area, dining room + kitchen, and office. I called the guy yesterday and he said he'd come and fix it. I don't see myself allowing them to finish, he'd have to clean up all the shit they did yesterday and I also don't want any of his work crews over unsupervised by him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3443 on: May 08, 2020, 07:11:01 AM »

Me too.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3444 on: May 08, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »
Gotta rant and get this out somewhere. We recently decided to paint the interior of the house. It's the color that came with the house when we built it, all one shade of off white. I hate painting, I did it for years when I ran the hotel and I don't want to do it again so I hired a pro that was highly recommended by our friends. Their work looked fantastic in the few homes that they've done. The first two days they painted the ceiling and the two guest bedrooms. Looks flawless, the wife and I are super happy. Yesterday they did the master bedroom and two bathrooms except the owner of the company didn't help out. One of his crews were here. Well the fucking rooms look like blind kids went in and painted. There is paint all over the carpet, paint all over parts of the ceiling that they painted the day before, they hung everything back on the wall while the paint was wet it stuck to the wale. The moldings have chunks of wood missing. I mean it's a night and day the difference between the guest rooms and the master.

I still have the majority of the house to be done, loft, living area, dining room + kitchen, and office. I called the guy yesterday and he said he'd come and fix it. I don't see myself allowing them to finish, he'd have to clean up all the shit they did yesterday and I also don't want any of his work crews over unsupervised by him.

Jesus, Kay.  Brutal... just brutal.  Thankfully, the painters I hired a couple of months ago did a fantastic job.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3445 on: May 08, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »
Rub it in, man. Rub it in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3446 on: May 08, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »
When I was in college, I used to set an alarm for 3:00 a.m.  I'd turn it off and then go back to sleep - very contended with the knowledge that I had another four hours (or whatever) before I actually had to get up.  Every time I tell that story, I get looked at like I'm insane.  In retrospect it was weird, but I loved it at the time.

When I was younger, I'd hit snooze all the time.  When I was in university, I had a theory that if I could fall back asleep within 9 minutes, that was my body telling me I wasn't ready to get up.  I missed many a class under that premise.  One time, the alarm went off at 9am, and by 1pm, my alarm tapped out.  Must've had a 4 hour limit of hitting snooze.   :lol

Nowadays, rare is the morning when I can fall back asleep no matter when or how I wake up (which is usually when our older dog starts whining to be let out).  Hell, the other day I woke up at 3:45, and by 4:30 I said fuckit, might as well get up and start working while it's going to be quiet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: May 08, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »

When I was younger, I'd hit snooze all the time.  When I was in university, I had a theory that if I could fall back asleep within 9 minutes, that was my body telling me I wasn't ready to get up.  I missed many a class under that premise.  One time, the alarm went off at 9am, and by 1pm, my alarm tapped out.  Must've had a 4 hour limit of hitting snooze.   :lol

Nowadays, rare is the morning when I can fall back asleep no matter when or how I wake up (which is usually when our older dog starts whining to be let out).  Hell, the other day I woke up at 3:45, and by 4:30 I said fuckit, might as well get up and start working while it's going to be quiet.

I do this now but with not nearly as big of a gap. If I have to be up at 6 I'll set the alarm at 530 so I can hit that sweet sweet snooze

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3448 on: May 11, 2020, 07:15:24 PM »
Commercials that are trying to capitalizing on the Covid-19 pandemic. I just watched a commercial for cotton that tried to imply that cotton is making things better during all this. I'm sorry, but unless you are offering a service directly related to the pandemic, please leave it out of your commercials.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3449 on: May 11, 2020, 08:58:05 PM »
Yeah, I think covid saturation is starting to feed into covid fatigue which is contributing to people saying, "Eh, fuck it.  I'm going out."
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3450 on: May 12, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
Debt collectors.

Using some of the extra money I have to try to pay off some debt. They can call me several times a day.. yet when I wanna call them I have to jump through hoops.

I just wanna give you money, damnit!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3451 on: May 12, 2020, 07:49:51 PM »
Debt collectors.

Using some of the extra money I have to try to pay off some debt. They can call me several times a day.. yet when I wanna call them I have to jump through hoops.

I just wanna give you money, damnit!

Hmmm. Just wait til they call you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: May 12, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
I'd rather call them. Less likely to be scammed :lol

I got a hold of them after going through my credit monitoring company, getting nowhere... and then doing some google searching. Paid off this debt for half. It was small, but it's a start.

Currently working on a plan to fix my credit. Right now it's complete shit due to some bad decisions and immaturity back in 2012-2014.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: May 12, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
My stupidity has cost me tens of thousands of dollars over the years, both in real cash and potential lost earnings. I am grateful every single day I have not had to deal with any debt, debt collectors, credit issues, or anything of the sort. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3454 on: May 13, 2020, 07:42:38 AM »
It depends on the debt of course, and how old it is, but if possible, I pay the original debtor creditor.  As I said, sometimes it's too old and it's written off (and it's more hassle to accept the funds than it is to say no and force you to deal with the debt collector).  Also, negotiate.   This also depends, but if your credit is already in dire straits, it cuts their leverage.   Just, whatever deal you cut get it in writing. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:24:56 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3455 on: May 13, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
It depends on the debt of course, and how old it is, but if possible, I pay the original debtor creditor.  As I said, sometimes it's too old and it's written off (and it's more hassle to accept the funds than it is to say no and force you to deal with the debt collector).  Also, negotiate.   This also depends, but if your credit is already in dire straits, it cuts their leverage.   Just, whatever deal you cut get it in writing.

It's worth noting that, in a lot of cases, the original creditor no longer owns the debt.  A creditor may hire a collection agency to collect a debt on its behalf, or it may sell the debt to the collection agency.  In the former case, you can still pay the original creditor, but in the latter case, you can't (well...you CAN, but doing so won't satisfy the debt).

Also, adults (in the U.S.) should have at least a basic understanding of their rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3456 on: May 13, 2020, 10:25:25 AM »
Thank you; I knew it looked funny, but it didn't register.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3457 on: May 13, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »
Luckily I only have a few items of debt on my credit... 2 rather small, and one larger. I tracked down the larger and older of the small ones yesterday. Gotta figure out the other small one this week, and then start attacking the large one when I have the funds.

I also found a service that helps with your credit. It's not a magical service that waves a wand and POOF! but rather a secured loan... You pay a fee (like $35) to open it, and then make payments (starting at $25/mo) over the course of However long you want the service. They report each payment to your credit. At the end, you get a check with the amount you paid out, minus another like small fee.

3 months and no issues. I've already seen a measurable bump in my scores. I've also got a secured card coming. Slowly but surely I'm going to bump my credit score out of the "you're shit outta luck" range.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3458 on: May 13, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »
Thank you; I knew it looked funny, but it didn't register.

:tup  It's easy to do.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3459 on: May 13, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »
I've never understood not being able to wake up in the morning. I rarely even manage to sleep until the alarm goes off and then I keep it at the lowest volume I can. I'm awake within seconds.

I hate waking up early but when I have to, I always have two alarms set 5 minutes apart. Half the time I get up after the first alarm. I've never used Snooze.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3460 on: May 14, 2020, 05:42:26 AM »

I hate waking up early but when I have to, I always have two alarms set 5 minutes apart. Half the time I get up after the first alarm. I've never used Snooze.

For me it's 100% dependent on what my plans are for the day. If I wake up at 5am on a day I have to work, I'm miserable, and angry, and start the day in a bad mood. If I wake up at 5am on a weekend day off, I can't wait to get out of bed and start doing shit. The brain is a weird place.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3461 on: May 14, 2020, 06:38:53 AM »

For me it's 100% dependent on what my plans are for the day. If I wake up at 5am on a day I have to work, I'm miserable, and angry, and start the day in a bad mood. If I wake up at 5am on a weekend day off, I can't wait to get out of bed and start doing shit. The brain is a weird place.
This is true. I think one of the main reasons I've been waking up early (like 5 AM) since I've been working from home, is that it's the only time I get to be alone. It's not so bad being up before everyone else. I watch some stuff my wife wouldn't want to watch with me, clean up a little, get an early start on the work day. Not half bad really. It helps that my pregnant wife is ready for bed early every night so I just go to bed early too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:26 AM »
I've come to really value my weekends in that way.  I wake up early, sometimes as early as 7 am (historically, on a weekend, that's early for me) and go downstairs, make coffee.  Maybe even make some breakfast (big BIG fan of hashes).   Depending on the day and the weather, sit in the sun room with the birds and read or do puzzles (Games Magazine).  Other days I will go and get some PS3 time in, or do some of the editing on my ripping project (live albums that are full or nearly full shows I will edit the songs, or, if it's a multi-CD set, the two CDs, together; I will also break out "hidden tracks" to their own track, removing the silence).   Then, late morning or so, I start the rest of the day, going outside to work, do whatever projects I have, etc. etc.   This was before COVID, but made more important in the time of COVID. 

I find I start to get "mildly irritated" when that time is infringed upon.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3463 on: May 14, 2020, 08:31:42 AM »
I'm definitely sleeping much more with this stay at home stuff and on my work or off days, I find I am super sluggish to get out of bed.  Just no desire to start the day it seems as each day kind of just blends in and out of each other with nothing really on the horizon to look forward too. 

I did have to be at work for 7am today so I woke up super early and was surprised it wasn't an issue, probably because getting out and going to work is a nice change of pace from the boring stay at home life. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3464 on: May 14, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »

Whether getting up early for work or getting up early for something enjoyable, I always feel like Kyle Reese landing in that alley.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!