Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304838 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3325 on: March 29, 2020, 12:08:04 PM »
The wingstop the opened near work is absolutley terrible with timing.  Always a long wait even when there isnt a single other customer.  I stopped going there years ago because their service is such garbage... and the wings aren't worth the price or wait.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3326 on: March 29, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
The wingstop by were we used to live was horrible. We tried the one here down the street from our new place, and our first experience was good. Second was meh. Third good, and then every other experience was shit.

So.. New thing irritating me. Got a fruad alert from my bank. Called the automated system, who stated there were 2 attempts in Connecticut, and one in Brooklyn on my card.  Now I'm on hold to get it straightened out. The annoying thing is... They sent me like an 8 digit code via text that I had to enter while on the line with the automated system. The code was long enough that my almost dyslexic brain (I wouldn't be surprised if I was mildly dyslexic... But that's a whole other story) couldn't process it in one go. Especially since it gives you like 8 seconds to go pull it up and enter it. Had to call back, and then entered the wrong number. Then called back again and finally got it. I swear, I'm not committing fraud, I'm just slow :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3327 on: March 29, 2020, 08:10:00 PM »
Our local Wingstop is frustrating. Food is always great, but the customer service doesn't exist. Placed order (online or phone... Happens with both) , said it will be ready by X time (30 ish min after placing the order . I show up at X time and they hadn't even started the order. Tell me it's going to be another half hour. Uhh... OK. At this point the thing to do would be apologize and maybe offer me a small drink or something. Nope. Since we're social distancing, I go sit in car, come back half hour later and it's still not ready. They blame the rush of people ordering to go orders due to the state being pretty much shut down, but it was like this before this all started.

I'd feel better if there was some form of acknowledgment that I've been waiting for an order placed an hour ago... But nope.

I've never been to Wingstop.  Buffalo Wild Wings is pretty good, but I've never gotten takeout.

We got takeout today from Lucille's barbecue (Long Beach Town Centre location).  Ordered online to be ready at 12:30.  I got to the window around 12:25.  Got my food around 12:40-45 and was home in about 10 minutes.  Good stuff (even though they forgot the apple butter).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3328 on: March 29, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
Funny... Lucilles was on a list of places we wanted to try last time were were down in Long Beach.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3329 on: March 30, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
They sent me like an 8 digit code via text that I had to enter while on the line with the automated system. The code was long enough that my almost dyslexic brain (I wouldn't be surprised if I was mildly dyslexic... But that's a whole other story) couldn't process it in one go. Especially since it gives you like 8 seconds to go pull it up and enter it. Had to call back, and then entered the wrong number. Then called back again and finally got it. I swear, I'm not committing fraud, I'm just slow :lol

Fun fact!

Studies show that the human brain can store on average 7 things for quick recollection.

So if you're given an 8 digit code of 67952418, don't try and remember "6", "7", "9", "5", "2", "4", "1", "8". Instead, say it to yourself as "67", "95", "24", "18". It's easier for your brain to store 4 of something rather than 8.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3330 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
Funny... Lucilles was on a list of places we wanted to try last time were were down in Long Beach.

The barbecue is just good, not great.  They make these biscuits that are SOOO good.  They serve them with apple butter while you're waiting to order and for your meal.  If you're not careful, you'll fill up on the biscuits and not have room for the meal.  The garlic mashed potatoes are really good, and the rest of my family loves the mac and cheese.  The one thing they do that amuses me is that a full rack of ribs is $26 (made up number), but a half rack is around $23, so any time you order a half rack, the waiter will say, "are you sure you don't want a full rack for only a couple dollars more?"

Anyway, I fed the family of four for $52, and we had leftovers.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3331 on: April 01, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
My work computer's hard drive was ready to take a dump. So... cloned the disk to a new SSD. Figures - the install is borked afterwards. Infinite boot loop on both drives. So... talked it over with the boss. It's about time he gets a new setup anyway, so we're gonna put together a slick new build for him and I'll get his current one, which beats the piss outta the PC I've been using forever.

So when I'm not out in the shop, I'm essentially twiddling my thumbs. We have plenty of work, but it's bottlenecked at the moment, and the lack of foot traffic and phone calls is making this week crawl by.

Also, my wireless earbud case somehow shit the bed and won't charge the left earbud anymore. Piece of crap earbuds, honestly. Claimed 2 hours battery life at max volume but the last few weeks I'd be lucky to get an hour at full charge. My portable pair of wired buds are starting to short, too. Bah.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3332 on: April 01, 2020, 10:14:17 AM »

Also, my wireless earbud case somehow shit the bed and won't charge the left earbud anymore. Piece of crap earbuds, honestly. Claimed 2 hours battery life at max volume but the last few weeks I'd be lucky to get an hour at full charge. My portable pair of wired buds are starting to short, too. Bah.

I have earbuds by ENACFIRE and they're awesome.  They sound is killer, they block out 95% of the noise and they claim to have 8 hours battery life....I haven't tested that, but they last a long time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:41:17 AM by Grappler »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: April 01, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »

I have earbuds by ENACFIRE and they're awesome.  They sound is killer, they block out 95% of the noise and they claim to have 8 hours battery life....I haven't tested that, but they last a long time.

How much am I looking at spending? The pair I got was free (company gift) but I'm sure they're not high end. I really need something that will last at least 2 full hours, the battery is super important.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3334 on: April 01, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »
These are the ones that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/ENACFIRE-Cancellation-Headphones-Waterproof-Bluetooth/dp/B07VBMSY9Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=enacfire&link_code=qs&qid=1585759204&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3

There are some other models as well.  Most of the audiophiles stick with major brands, which pushes the pricepoint up past $100 or more.  You can find some pretty good ones for $50-$75. 

Snce they're noise cancelling, it took a little getting used to the feel and fit, as the earbud goes into your outer ear canal, but I was surprised at how much noise it blocked out.  I had some tunes going the other night on the lowest volume (I've never turned it up louder than 3 clicks, ever) and I couldn't even hear my kid crying and screaming.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3335 on: April 01, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
I've got two 'around the neck' knockoffs - one that is like those old LG HB models, and one that looks like the below.  They probably ran me about $20 4 years ago.  Still work great; still have hours and hours of battery time.

I also have a pair of Bose Soundsport headphones that I got for free a few years ago, and they are absolute shyte.  Battery length is crap, and it never knows how much charge it has.  I'll charge it until it's green, then turn it on and am given the audio cue "battery power at 30%".  :lolpalm:  I fuckin hate them.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3336 on: April 01, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »
Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but pretty done with the "60 Seconds of Solitude" (my local news, Fox61, does "61 Seconds of Solitude", because, why not?) segments.  All three local networks are doing it (about once an hour) and I just saw it on CNN, where they cut to rain falling in the rainforest for 60 seconds.  It's not serenity; I saw that, heard the rain, and panicked because my sunroof is open on my car.   Blood pressure spiked, and I banged my knee on the desk jumping up.  GTFO.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3337 on: April 01, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but pretty done with the "60 Seconds of Solitude" (my local news, Fox61, does "61 Seconds of Solitude", because, why not?) segments.  All three local networks are doing it (about once an hour) and I just saw it on CNN, where they cut to rain falling in the rainforest for 60 seconds.  It's not serenity; I saw that, heard the rain, and panicked because my sunroof is open on my car.   Blood pressure spiked, and I banged my knee on the desk jumping up.  GTFO.

You maniac.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3338 on: April 01, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »
 :lol

I saw one of them as well on CNN and was wondering wtf is going on, but it's better than a commercial.  However, the other noise in my house didn't make the moment of silence to really make a difference.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3339 on: April 01, 2020, 03:41:51 PM »
Grappler, thank you!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3341 on: April 06, 2020, 07:06:58 AM »
I find it irritating when people who are geniuses in one area of expertise, weigh in on other things and the media reports on it. I'm seeing lot of reports on software pioneers, financial experts, heck, even great actors' opinions on Covid-19 being reported on as if they matter. Let's stick with the opinions of people who study epidemics for a living please.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3342 on: April 06, 2020, 07:25:29 AM »
I find it irritating when people who are geniuses in one area of expertise, weigh in on other things and the media reports on it. I'm seeing lot of reports on software pioneers, financial experts, heck, even great actors' opinions on Covid-19 being reported on as if they matter. Let's stick with the opinions of people who study epidemics for a living please.

Bill Gates could run for any office on the planet - including Son of God, starting QB of the Patriots, and Head of the Jedi Counsel - and would win in a landslide.  You'd think he developed the polio vaccine and discovered the DNA helix instead of being a fast follower in the GUI race and an antitrust pioneer (nothing wrong with that, but spade, spade). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3343 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
Fast food restaurants that don't offer a burger without cheese as a menu item.

For example, "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is a menu item at McDonald's, but "Quarter Pounder" is not.  Similarly, at Wendy's, other than the "Jr. Hamburger," all of the menu items have cheese (e.g., the "Dave's Double" defaults as having two patties and two slices of cheese).

Of course, I can't order a "Quarter Pounder with no cheese, but there are two problems with that.  First, the average fast food employee seems to have trouble with the concept of ANY "special" orders, but the concept of no cheese on a "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" seems to be especially problematic.

Second, if I want EXTRA cheese on my burger, Wendy's is going to charge me 50 cents per slice.  However, if I want NO cheese, Wendy's isn't charging me a dollar less (50 cents per slice that I'm not getting).  By contrast, places like Five Guys and In-n-Out price their burgers based on what you get on them and don't charge you for cheese you aren't getting.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: April 06, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
Bill Gates could run for any office on the planet - including Son of God, starting QB of the Patriots, and Head of the Jedi Counsel - and would win in a landslide.

I disagree. He isn't even revered here, in the region he helped establish as a global technology center. Lots of people don't like him, many are tired of him telling us how we are all going to suffer economically, as if he knows what suffering economically even means. Hell if there was a state race here (mayor, governor...) between him and Paul Allen when he was alive, Allen would crush Gates. He bought the Seahawks, ensured they'd always been in Seattle, and hired the right guys and cut the checks to bring home a Championship. He also plays guitar, and seems more like one of us, bank accounts aside.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3345 on: April 06, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »
Bill Gates could run for any office on the planet - including Son of God, starting QB of the Patriots, and Head of the Jedi Counsel - and would win in a landslide.

I disagree. He isn't even revered here, in the region he helped establish as a global technology center. Lots of people don't like him, many are tired of him telling us how we are all going to suffer economically, as if he knows what suffering economically even means. Hell if there was a state race here (mayor, governor...) between him and Paul Allen when he was alive, Allen would crush Gates. He bought the Seahawks, ensured they'd always been in Seattle, and hired the right guys and cut the checks to bring home a Championship. He also plays guitar, and seems more like one of us, bank accounts aside.

No, I get it; I was being a little facetious. I've been seeing a lot of links and retweets of whatever his wisdom of the moment is, as if he knows something we don't.   Now, no doubt he knows PEOPLE we don't, but that's not the same thing. It's all well-thought out, and worth reading, but it's still one man's ideas, that's all.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3346 on: April 06, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »

reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbwR9J6-Yw
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3347 on: April 06, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
"New phone can't fit the old charger... this is your hero?  This the guy?"   :) :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3348 on: April 06, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »

No, I get it; I was being a little facetious. I've been seeing a lot of links and retweets of whatever his wisdom of the moment is, as if he knows something we don't.   Now, no doubt he knows PEOPLE we don't, but that's not the same thing. It's all well-thought out, and worth reading, but it's still one man's ideas, that's all.

To be fair, Bill Gates does know a lot about viruses.  After all, he’s been dealing with them since Windows 95.   ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3349 on: April 07, 2020, 08:07:45 AM »
 :tup :tup  Nicely done.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3350 on: April 07, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: April 08, 2020, 07:57:42 AM »
These are the ones that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/ENACFIRE-Cancellation-Headphones-Waterproof-Bluetooth/dp/B07VBMSY9Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=enacfire&link_code=qs&qid=1585759204&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3

There are some other models as well.  Most of the audiophiles stick with major brands, which pushes the pricepoint up past $100 or more.  You can find some pretty good ones for $50-$75. 

Snce they're noise cancelling, it took a little getting used to the feel and fit, as the earbud goes into your outer ear canal, but I was surprised at how much noise it blocked out.  I had some tunes going the other night on the lowest volume (I've never turned it up louder than 3 clicks, ever) and I couldn't even hear my kid crying and screaming.

They arrived way early - last night! Took a minute to get used to how they fit but once I got it I fell in love - they are SO comfortable. And the sound is amazing. Now the real test will be the charge. The case is awesome btw, and I fully charged it and the earbuds. It says 8 hours on the box. We'll see. The goal is for me to be able to make these last the whole work day, or at least long enough to swap over to my other cheapo pair to finish the day. Fingers crossed. Thanks for showing me these.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3352 on: April 08, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »
They arrived way early - last night! Took a minute to get used to how they fit but once I got it I fell in love - they are SO comfortable. And the sound is amazing. Now the real test will be the charge. The case is awesome btw, and I fully charged it and the earbuds. It says 8 hours on the box. We'll see. The goal is for me to be able to make these last the whole work day, or at least long enough to swap over to my other cheapo pair to finish the day. Fingers crossed. Thanks for showing me these.

Awesome!  I use them when I commute on the train.  90 minutes each way.  I recharge them during the day, but I've had them out on my desk and have used them at work at times and never have a problem with several hours worth of use.  I'm guessing that they'll last close to the 8 hours if used constantly for music.   

I'm glad you're happy with them.  Sometimes I have trouble getting the right one to connect, but if you put it back in the case and then pull it back out, it reconnects to the phone.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3353 on: April 08, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »
You know what I love is that they automatically power on and pair when I take them out. The other pair I had that broke, I'd have to manually power them on, and sometimes for whatever reason one of them would not sync with the other, then I'd spend several minutes horse-assing around with it until I got them to work again.

Unfortunately I literally just broke my phone so I'm screwed until I get it repaired and sent back. First time I've ever broken a phone, and it's now. My luck.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: But for the last few hours they've been a delight. Very loud, quality sound, and no indication that the battery was running out of juice. F yeah.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3354 on: April 23, 2020, 11:40:14 AM »
Interviewed for a job this morning. They causally threw out "We all work 9-10 hour days." These are salary positions mind you so they're not getting paid extra for those hours. Frankly I think that should not be legal. You should get paid extra for putting in more than 40 hours a week. My opinion is that people being willing to consistently working extra hours are just letting the company get away without having to hire additional people. Sorry, I'm not taking a 10% raise to put in 25% more hours. Good luck to you finding someone who wants to work that much while you're only paying the average rate instead of significantly more. There must be people willing to do it though.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3355 on: April 23, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »
Interviewed for a job this morning. They causally threw out "We all work 9-10 hour days." These are salary positions mind you so they're not getting paid extra for those hours. Frankly I think that should not be legal. You should get paid extra for putting in more than 40 hours a week. My opinion is that people being willing to consistently working extra hours are just letting the company get away without having to hire additional people. Sorry, I'm not taking a 10% raise to put in 25% more hours. Good luck to you finding someone who wants to work that much while you're only paying the average rate instead of significantly more. There must be people willing to do it though.

I generally work more than 40 hours per week on a salary.  It is what it is.  I can do the minimum and be really stressed out when I get busy and have too much work, or I can put in some extra time and stay caught up so that doesn't happen. 

To be fair and on the other side of the coin, I (and other salaried people) also get paid the same when it's slower.  I've had days where not much work came in and I was paid the same daily amount to surf the internet, or lately, play with my kids at home while keeping an eye on work. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3356 on: April 23, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »

Respectfully, and for conversational purposes only, I'd like to hear more.  I'm salary, and have been since... let's not dig too deeply, shall we, but let's say "decades".   I am not hired to give 40 hours, even if certain HR benefits are tied to that arbitrary "2080" metric. I'm hired to provide legal services and risk management consulting to my organization.  Some weeks that takes 35 hours, others that takes 55 hours.  The "55 hour weeks" outnumber the "35 hour weeks" by a wide margin, but not totally.   I need to be available when my clients need me.  If that client is here in NYC area, that's great (9 to 5, babay!).  If that client is in Missouri, well, my day is now 9 to 6.  If that client is in San Francisco, it could be 9 to 8.   My company is headquartered in France; oops, 9 isn't going to work, is it?   My day is also not crushing from start to finish (as 20749 posts will attest). 

Look, I don't want to be the guy that four other people in the organization are saying "where the hell is Stadler? What the hell are we paying him for if we can't get him when we need him?"   I can leave at any time if I don't like it. It's their company and I'm privileged to be able to receive a salary, and work out of the house, and bugger off to a dental appointment if need be.  If the trade off is I don't get to drop everything and bolt at 5, well, life is full of compromises. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3357 on: April 23, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »
I'm right there with Bill.  I'm not paid to work a certain number of hours, I'm paid to deliver an outcome (sales results).  Sometimes that's a 4-5 hour day, or a 12 hour day.  IMO, the 40hr week is antiquated for jobs based on outcome/output.  Certain jobs do necessitate a time-value measurement, and 40 hours was deemed as the acceptable "maximum" a century ago.  Nowadays, it's antiquated - at least in my profession.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3358 on: April 23, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
Maybe I've just been lucky that in 7 jobs since college I've never worked anywhere that extra hours were expected daily/weekly. Only once in a while when a deadline was coming up. Maybe my expectations are off, but if I get paid $100k at a job where I work 40 hours a week, I'd expect to get paid at least $125k for the equivalent job where I was expected to put in 50 hours a week. I'm going to stand by my assertion that if everyone is willing to volunteer extra hours to their company without getting paid more, they are letting their company get away with not hiring more people. Now, I'll give this company credit that they were up front about expectations in the first interview, so that was nice of them. I'm just not wired to want to put in extra hours apart from the occasional busy week. I haven't had to so far and have no desire to at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3359 on: April 23, 2020, 12:09:47 PM »
That is the life of a salaried employee.  I work at least 47 hours and contacted over my 2 days off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC