Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308793 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3290 on: February 16, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »
I'm with you, though; not everything has to be a winning dish on Chopped.  Especially burgers; I actually like a burger with "normal" toppings (lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mayo, salt, pepper), and maybe grilled onions.  You go to some places and it's aioli this and craft that and... we've been eating burgers like above for decades, it's fine.
The thing is some of the fancy new burger trends are pretty good. Same with the fries.

What are you liking?  I'd like to try something good, but up here it seems to veer either to heavy - BBQ, fried onions, blankets of cheese - or to the fufu - guac, sprouts, melted tofu, elm twigs, and oak sticks (I'm kidding of course) - and I have little interest in that.  I'd be into a decent sauce, and some creative veggies, though.

Ever have an egg on your burger?  For someone that loves breakfast sandwiches as much as I do - ham or sausage, fried egg over medium, cheese, slice of tomato, salt and pepper on a fresh hard roll is my kinda morning - you'd think I would have, but never tried it.  Could go both ways for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3291 on: February 16, 2020, 09:38:29 AM »
Egg on a burger is pretty good.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3292 on: February 16, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
+1 for egg on a burger.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3293 on: February 16, 2020, 05:02:57 PM »
I can't do it.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3294 on: February 16, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
Ordering cheese on a veggie burger already confused waiters. Adding an egg would just overwhelm them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3295 on: February 16, 2020, 08:52:18 PM »
I wouldn't just order it extra, it would have to be the way it's made.  There's a burger place in Amsterdam near where I work that is geared to be more "American burgers" so they have a few varieties with different toppings.  NONE of them actually taste or feel like what you'd find in America, but their biggest burger (since I"m there for work and not paying..) has an egg on it.  It does work well when done right.  It's the only burger there I like.  I've seen it and had it in a few other specialty burger places in the US, but I don't see it normally on the menu and would never just request to add it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3296 on: February 17, 2020, 06:45:20 AM »
A nice sunny-side egg that's closer to medium than runny is just glorious on a burger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3297 on: February 17, 2020, 06:56:07 AM »
Most dining places where I live are primarily burger places, and honestly, even though most of these joints have some fairly creative recipes, the local TGIF still gets the patty and the fries correct most of the time, and for a slightly lower price. I like guac, creative aiolis and parm-loaded fries but these folks still don't get I'm not gonna go out every night and pick my very favorite burger out of 100 different burger recipes in town, I'm just gonna keep going to the most consistent place even if the sauce comes on the side and the burger doesn't have the fanciest name or the largest variety of picked vegetables.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3298 on: February 29, 2020, 10:42:26 AM »
Whenever a songs intro begins at the end of the last track, causing an odd intro of the song when imported.

I'm listening to the new The Night Flight Orchestra and the beginning of Carmencita starts before Taurus ends.

Although it does make you listen to the album in it's entirety as the tracks blend into each other.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3299 on: February 29, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »
I'm with you, though; not everything has to be a winning dish on Chopped.  Especially burgers; I actually like a burger with "normal" toppings (lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mayo, salt, pepper), and maybe grilled onions.  You go to some places and it's aioli this and craft that and... we've been eating burgers like above for decades, it's fine.
The thing is some of the fancy new burger trends are pretty good. Same with the fries.

What are you liking?  I'd like to try something good, but up here it seems to veer either to heavy - BBQ, fried onions, blankets of cheese - or to the fufu - guac, sprouts, melted tofu, elm twigs, and oak sticks (I'm kidding of course) - and I have little interest in that.  I'd be into a decent sauce, and some creative veggies, though.

Here are some suggestions for burger toppings that might work for you but, bear in mind, I love heavy-ass, bold flavors.

sautéed mushroom
grilled onion
grilled portobello
avocado (works A LOT better than guac since you're not signing up for a bunch of other flavors)
roasted red bell pepper (this is more of a home cooking option since I've never seen it available anywhere)
prosciutto (same problem as the red bell pepper)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3300 on: February 29, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »
Whenever a songs intro begins at the end of the last track, causing an odd intro of the song when imported.

I'm listening to the new The Night Flight Orchestra and the beginning of Carmencita starts before Taurus ends.

Although it does make you listen to the album in it's entirety as the tracks blend into each other.

I hate when this happens on live albums, when a talks about the upcoming song, but in producing the album, they leave that segment on the end of the previous track.  Van Halen / Right Here, Right Now has a lot of that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3301 on: February 29, 2020, 05:53:49 PM »

My Moving Pictures CD is the opposite of that.  Track #7 starts about 20 seconds before the end of Witch Hunt.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3302 on: March 02, 2020, 12:42:19 AM »
This reminds me of the fuckup when Opeth was recording Orchid and the end of Requiem ended up as a longer-than-intended intro for The Apostle in Triumph.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3303 on: March 02, 2020, 01:20:06 AM »
This reminds me of the fuckup when Opeth was recording Orchid and the end of Requiem ended up as a longer-than-intended intro for The Apostle in Triumph.

Yeah, but to be fair, with a lot of the transitions on Orchid, it wouldn't really be clear whether or not they're part of the same song if you didn't look at the track number on your music player. :lol

Still a great album though  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3304 on: March 02, 2020, 02:18:33 AM »
Oh, I adore that album. I was just citing the similarity. And really, I'm not sure there's an Opeth record in existence that doesn't have that ambiguous mishmash of riffs thing going on. They were my favorite band for 7 years and I'm still clueless as to what riffs are from which songs sometimes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3305 on: March 02, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »

I hate when this happens on live albums, when a talks about the upcoming song, but in producing the album, they leave that segment on the end of the previous track.  Van Halen / Right Here, Right Now has a lot of that.

Now that's interesting; I have been doing a project to rip my CDs/DVDs to a network drive, and since most of my DVDs are live, I have been going through and basically taking 90 minute videos and breaking them into individual songs.   And I have opted to keep the intros to the end of the previous song, for this reason:   If I want to hear, say, Run To The Hills, or Rock And Roll All Nite, do I want to hear two minutes of Bruce Dickinson yapping about feminine hygiene products (it's not before RTTH, but there's a bit on the Live After Death video where he mentions that) or Paul Stanley screaming at the top of his lungs "DEE-troit (because that's how it's pronounced in rock and roll) let me hear you!  We LOVE you, DEE-troit!" for a minute and a half?  Nope.   The one exception is the actual name of the song, especially if the band starts while the singer is saying the name.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3306 on: March 02, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
I actually like how the chit chat is at the end of the track of a live album too.  If I search for the song, I want to hear it, but when I listen to the full album, I enjoy hearing the chit chat so it makes sense to put it at the end of the track before it.  However the slight splits on CDs as Ben brought up is super weird and annoying.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3307 on: March 02, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
I actually like how the chit chat is at the end of the track of a live album too.  If I search for the song, I want to hear it, but when I listen to the full album, I enjoy hearing the chit chat so it makes sense to put it at the end of the track before it.  However the slight splits on CDs as Ben brought up is super weird and annoying.

I'm the same with the live albums. Although it is kinda annoying when they didn't split the song intro to be that songs track intro.

Yeah, but to be fair, with a lot of the transitions on Orchid, it wouldn't really be clear whether or not they're part of the same song if you didn't look at the track number on your music player. :lol

Still a great album though  :metal

:lol I didn't even know until I looked it up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3308 on: March 03, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
So in my new job I have to occasionally call dealers to get extra information to process quotes for people. These are quote request submitted by dealers..  Some have to be back within 15 minutes or an hour (or a day but those are low priority). I believe the dealers get a kick back for bringing us business.... Yet they always seem so annoyed when I call them to get more info to finish their quote. Like... The client's DOB or DL#...  And while on the phone I'll sometime ask for relevant info they may have that isn't necessary but may benefit the clients... Example does (Customer's wife,) who is also on the title on this ATV, have a Motorcycle license?

Dealer's response: "I don't see why that matters... This is a Side by Side, not an on road motorcycle...." in the most annoyed tone.

"but yes she has 5 years and has had an endorsement for as long as well"

... It was relevant. Just dropped their annual premium by $25. Asshole.

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: March 12, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »
So, the company van I drive, when you take the keys out of the ignition, the radio stays on until you open the door. I always find that unsettling. When I park, I take out the keys, get whatever stuff I need (tools, notes, my lunch...), take out the keys, and inevitably think "wait... why is the radio still on? Did I leave the keys in the ignition? Are the lights still on? Did I forget to do something?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3310 on: March 13, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
So, the company van I drive, when you take the keys out of the ignition, the radio stays on until you open the door. I always find that unsettling. When I park, I take out the keys, get whatever stuff I need (tools, notes, my lunch...), take out the keys, and inevitably think "wait... why is the radio still on? Did I leave the keys in the ignition? Are the lights still on? Did I forget to do something?"
My car does that too. Took me a long time to get used to it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: March 13, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »
Lots of cars do that now. My car has a push button start but with the car off the radio plays until I open the door, or if 5 minutes pass so battery doesn't die.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #3312 on: March 28, 2020, 12:52:55 PM »
Animated GIFs in forum signatures.

Is there a forum function to hide them from view?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3313 on: March 28, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
Yes there is. I turned off forum sigs a long time ago, too much strain on my eyes. With them off, it is so much easier to read through each post.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3314 on: March 28, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
I forget they even exist. I've had them turned off for years.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #3315 on: March 28, 2020, 02:02:46 PM »
Awesome, thanks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3316 on: March 28, 2020, 04:14:33 PM »
This is above mildly irritating.....jut don’t know where to put it.

About (2) months ago I went to my dentist and had a filling put in. He told me that once he start working on the tooth it was per needed a root canal. He filled I and said.....get a root canal ASAP.

So I did what most people do and ignored that advice cuz my tooth felt better. Fast Forward to this past Thursday night when that tooth started aching pretty bad. Rough night of sleep as I’m sure most know what a solid tooth ache feels like. Friday, called to see if I could get in to get an emergency root canal and was told nope.....soonest would be Monday.

So...yesterday sucked......last night sucked.....today is sucking and I’m sure I won’t sleep again tonight or tomorrow night. LOTS of worse things going on right now in the world and for other people so I keep reminding myself of that....but toothaches freaking suck.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: March 28, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »
You're on a helluva streak ... ignore a big piece of something in the road, and wreck your car.  Ignore your Dentist, and wreck your tooth - and now weekend.  Dude!  Luv ya and all... but git ur head out ur ass!

At least you CAN get in on Monday.  I do believe dental practices here were deemed non-essential.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3318 on: March 28, 2020, 05:15:15 PM »
You're on a helluva streak ... ignore a big piece of something in the road, and wreck your car.  Ignore your Dentist, and wreck your tooth - and now weekend.  Dude!  Luv ya and all... but git ur head out ur ass!

You ain’t lying. Questioning some of my decisions as of late.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3319 on: March 28, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Our local Wingstop is frustrating. Food is always great, but the customer service doesn't exist. Placed order (online or phone... Happens with both) , said it will be ready by X time (30 ish min after placing the order . I show up at X time and they hadn't even started the order. Tell me it's going to be another half hour. Uhh... OK. At this point the thing to do would be apologize and maybe offer me a small drink or something. Nope. Since we're social distancing, I go sit in car, come back half hour later and it's still not ready. They blame the rush of people ordering to go orders due to the state being pretty much shut down, but it was like this before this all started.

I'd feel better if there was some form of acknowledgment that I've been waiting for an order placed an hour ago... But nope.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: March 28, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
Our local Wingstop is frustrating. Food is always great, but the customer service doesn't exist. Placed order (online or phone... Happens with both) , said it will be ready by X time (30 ish min after placing the order . I show up at X time and they hadn't even started the order. Tell me it's going to be another half hour. Uhh... OK. At this point the thing to do would be apologize and maybe offer me a small drink or something. Nope. Since we're social distancing, I go sit in car, come back half hour later and it's still not ready. They blame the rush of people ordering to go orders due to the state being pretty much shut down, but it was like this before this all started.

I'd feel better if there was some form of acknowledgment that I've been waiting for an order placed an hour ago... But nope.

Dude, you live in California. This shit is the norm there. Zappa wrote a song about California businesses in 1977 called Flakes:lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:11 PM »
ANNNNND the food was legit cold when I got it home.

I live 2 minutes away. 5 if I hit the light red.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3322 on: March 29, 2020, 04:46:50 AM »
Sounds like you need a new place to get ur wings.

Edit: fixed an autocorrect.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:02:20 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3323 on: March 29, 2020, 05:00:26 AM »
Yea that's the plan.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3324 on: March 29, 2020, 12:01:59 PM »
Have you considered Red Bull?
fanticide.bandcamp.com