Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 307026 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3220 on: January 21, 2020, 04:22:04 PM »
Two things for today, both relating to commercials I heard on sports talk radio while at lunch today:

1. The increasing proliferation of complete bullshit advertising.  There are two commercials in particular.  The first started showing up sometime in mid-spring last year.  These commercials were touting a company that did solar power conversions and essentially said, "you'd better do it because 2019 is going to be the HOTTEST YEAR EVER and your electric bills will be through the roof if you don't switch over to solar!!!"  These commercials ran until at least October and maybe into November.  All the while, southern California had one of the mildest summers in recent memory.  And not that converting to solar is a bad thing, but I'm sure that some folks fell for this "the sky is falling" nonsense.  The other commercial is all about how "blankety-blank phone company snuck a bunch of fees onto my bill!!!"  Oh...so you mean that you were charged for stuff that was clearly spelled out in your contract that you didn't bother to read?  Mind you...this isn't about consumer phone service.  Rather, the commercials I'm talking about are for BUSINESS phone service.

2. The increasing proliferation of personal injury attorney advertising.  There have been times where, in the span of a lunch hour, I hear "Sweet James," "I-Accident Lawyer," "Super Woman/Super Lawyer," "The Accident Guys," "Jacob Emrani" (apparently he couldn't think of a silly nickname for himself), and probably a couple others I can't remember.  Even worse than the "lowest common denominator" advertising (i.e., all insurance companies are 100% evil), a couple of these clowns are even starting to get live air time during the shows.  They're spending so much money on advertising that they can insist on getting time on the actual programming -- ostensibly to talk sports, but their knowledge is no better than mine.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3221 on: January 22, 2020, 03:08:50 AM »
Two things for today, both relating to commercials I heard on sports talk radio while at lunch today:

1. The increasing proliferation of complete bullshit advertising.  There are two commercials in particular.  The first started showing up sometime in mid-spring last year.  These commercials were touting a company that did solar power conversions and essentially said, "you'd better do it because 2019 is going to be the HOTTEST YEAR EVER and your electric bills will be through the roof if you don't switch over to solar!!!"  These commercials ran until at least October and maybe into November.  All the while, southern California had one of the mildest summers in recent memory.  And not that converting to solar is a bad thing, but I'm sure that some folks fell for this "the sky is falling" nonsense.  The other commercial is all about how "blankety-blank phone company snuck a bunch of fees onto my bill!!!"  Oh...so you mean that you were charged for stuff that was clearly spelled out in your contract that you didn't bother to read?  Mind you...this isn't about consumer phone service.  Rather, the commercials I'm talking about are for BUSINESS phone service.

2. The increasing proliferation of personal injury attorney advertising.  There have been times where, in the span of a lunch hour, I hear "Sweet James," "I-Accident Lawyer," "Super Woman/Super Lawyer," "The Accident Guys," "Jacob Emrani" (apparently he couldn't think of a silly nickname for himself), and probably a couple others I can't remember.  Even worse than the "lowest common denominator" advertising (i.e., all insurance companies are 100% evil), a couple of these clowns are even starting to get live air time during the shows.  They're spending so much money on advertising that they can insist on getting time on the actual programming -- ostensibly to talk sports, but their knowledge is no better than mine.

"hit by an Uber or Lyft? They carry BIG INSURANCE!"

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3222 on: January 22, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
So I've been stuck working Graves at an account where we make coffee in the mornings for the residents. 6 of those big industrial dispensers, filled using one of those industrial double brewers.

Well almost every morning, it will randomly decide to overfill. It usually fills it at about 7/8ths full, but for some damn reason it just doesn't stop. So I either need to stay there and babysit it, or run the risk of a mess. Well I got busy prepping other things for the morning coffee, was away from it for 60 seconds and BLAM. Coffee everywhere. Every. Single. Day. I'm cleaning up coffee.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3223 on: January 22, 2020, 07:28:20 AM »
So I've been stuck working Graves at an account where we make coffee in the mornings for the residents. 6 of those big industrial dispensers, filled using one of those industrial double brewers.

Well almost every morning, it will randomly decide to overfill. It usually fills it at about 7/8ths full, but for some damn reason it just doesn't stop. So I either need to stay there and babysit it, or run the risk of a mess. Well I got busy prepping other things for the morning coffee, was away from it for 60 seconds and BLAM. Coffee everywhere. Every. Single. Day. I'm cleaning up coffee.

Baby sit it one day and start a stop watch on your phone. Determine how long it takes to get 7/8s full, and whenever you make it, just set a timer and walk away. Come back when your alarm goes off and manually shut down the machine.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3224 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:46 AM »

Here on the east coast, it's a different subject, but same idea.   It drives me CRAZY when I hear that.   It gives me herpes when they predicate their entire business model on that concept of the "they're trying to SCREW YOU OVER!" mindset.  If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to take out an ad for "Personal Responsibility".

The big one here is Carter Mario, who sells the idea that he was a wrestler in college, and was therefore "born to fight".  The funny thing, there are two others - Trantolo and Trantolo, and The John Haymond Law Firm - and they actually take shots at each other about who is the legit motorcycle rider.  Seriously.    One of Carter's ads was him sitting on a motorcycle on the edge of a cliff, saying something like "if you're in a motorcycle accident, you want a guy that knows what cutting a line means, and knows the difference between a flat head and a pan head!" He later said something like "I've been in a motorcycle accident, and I know what you're going through!"  (These are not direct quotes, but rather paraphrases of dialogue intended to get the general picture out there).   It's almost comical.

The daughter of the principal at the Haymond Law Firm was a school mate of my daughter for a while, and in person he was a very nice unassuming man, but in the ads, he's portrayed as a macho MC club member. :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: January 22, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »
Or I just light it on FIRE and never look back.

I'll do that next batch I make. I really think the machine isn't properly maintained (by the property staff), and they need to replace it and the dispensers (which are in bad shape as well. Obviously been dropped many times). The place charges people $4k+ /mo in rent. I think they can afford to upgrade the machine.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:42:43 AM by JayOctavarium »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: January 22, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »
This guy I grew up with and was never too close with but close enough to consider a "friend" although we haven't spoken in like 10 years now... anyway, he is a lawyer in Miami and created an instagram account for his new firm he started and then started advertising with this account.  The images and wording were ridiculous.  One was a picture of the twin towers on 9/11 and said something like "if you've been wrongly injured, call me" which my group of friends all loved laughing at.  Like how absurd? One of my friends recently saw him and brought up his advertising to which he said he hired someone to do social media marketing for the law firm and stopped once others had said something to him about it  :rollin  I have no idea if that was true, but kind of funny how it wasn't just my group of friends thinking how ridiculously over the top this lawyer's ads were.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3227 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »
"hit by an Uber or Lyft? They carry BIG INSURANCE!"

I see we listen to the same stuff.  I read that in the voice from the commercial.

The big one here is Carter Mario, who sells the idea that he was a wrestler in college, and was therefore "born to fight".  The funny thing, there are two others - Trantolo and Trantolo, and The John Haymond Law Firm - and they actually take shots at each other about who is the legit motorcycle rider.  Seriously.    One of Carter's ads was him sitting on a motorcycle on the edge of a cliff, saying something like "if you're in a motorcycle accident, you want a guy that knows what cutting a line means, and knows the difference between a flat head and a pan head!" He later said something like "I've been in a motorcycle accident, and I know what you're going through!"  (These are not direct quotes, but rather paraphrases of dialogue intended to get the general picture out there).   It's almost comical.

In initially read this as John Hammond law firm, and that took my mind to a completely different place.   :lol

I think we only have one motorcycle-specific guy here (which is a little odd since CA is one of the few states that allows motorcycles to split lanes).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3228 on: January 23, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
I hate the very thin line between moving through the world quickly and efficiently in bad weather conditions and moving so quickly that I endanger myself by falling on my ass or eating pavement.

I got good shoes, most people just wear their sneakers in the winter, I have proper winter boots with great grip on ice and proper hiking shoes with great grip for rainy weather too. I'm not *too* clumsy or distracted. But it seems like I fall and injure myself once every year when ice or a lot of rain is involved. Today I scrapped my chin and I'm sporting a fat lip. I really can't be bothered to walk like a grandma three months per year, but I guess I have to do it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: January 23, 2020, 12:11:30 PM »
Milena,

Just move to Southern California and you'll never have to deal with it :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:59 PM »
I hate the very thin line between moving through the world quickly and efficiently in bad weather conditions and moving so quickly that I endanger myself by falling on my ass or eating pavement.

I got good shoes, most people just wear their sneakers in the winter, I have proper winter boots with great grip on ice and proper hiking shoes with great grip for rainy weather too. I'm not *too* clumsy or distracted. But it seems like I fall and injure myself once every year when ice or a lot of rain is involved. Today I scrapped my chin and I'm sporting a fat lip. I really can't be bothered to walk like a grandma three months per year, but I guess I have to do it.

My friend and I are both fast walkers and we have a competition each winter/spring for who falls the most during the winter. Last year I won 3:1 I think, if you can call it a win. :lol We're yet to score this season as we only had a few days when the temperature stayed below 0C.

It's all fun until one of us breaks something and then it isn't.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3231 on: January 23, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
Nah, living where the air hurts your face is worth it  :lol

My friend and I are both fast walkers and we have a competition each winter/spring for who falls the most during the winter. Last year I won 3:1 I think, if you can call it a win. :lol We're yet to score this season as we only had a few days when the temperature stayed below 0C.

It's all fun until one of us breaks something and then it isn't.
Put me in the running, currently 1:0:0 for me and I'll let you know if I fall again  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: January 23, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
Milena,

Sure but you'll have a whole lot of other shit to deal with.  :biggrin:

I don't know if its global warming or not but it certainly seems my winters in NJ have been less and less harsh.  Really haven't gotten much snow at all this year to make this an issue for me anymore, but I certainly can relate from my experience in college where I walked a lot in ice and snow.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3233 on: January 25, 2020, 02:34:32 PM »
Seems like it is not possible anymore to walk in or out of somewhere without someone asking you about a donation or whatever.  You get the damn "would like to round up to the nearest dollar to donate to such-and-such charity?" question at random restaurants nowadays (I donate monthly to St. Jude's, so I will never feel guilty about never doing the round-up thing), and today I was leaving the gym and there were two people with a table with something right inside the door who were impossible to avoid, and when one of them tried to stop me, I gave the quick "sorry, I am in a hurry" answer and bolted.  Can I just leave the gym all sweaty without being harassed about God-knows-what?  It is considered assault if it happens again and I drag my hand across my forehead and fling sweat at them? :P

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3234 on: January 25, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »
I've grown confident enough to just say "no thank you" and not feel guilty about it. Part of the reasoning is that I know my 41 cents ain't going towards the charity at all, just the overhead that charity has.

I have a driving scenario that has come up twice recently and while I can definitely see the flip side of it I do find it alarming. Basically me and the car in front of me both want to make left hand turns into the same parking lot. The cars coming towards us are a bit away but not comfortably far enough so there's a bit of a window for both of us to turn in and be fine. So the car turns left into the parking lot and, for some reason, either slows way down or completely stops sort of halting my left hand turn into the oncoming traffic lane. There was no reason for them to slow way down to a crawl or stop as turning into the parking lot (which is completely clear of cars) directs you to drive straight before heading to your destination so they're sort of putting me at risk by not navigating the entrance correctly. I do understand the other side of it which is that I need to take this scenario into account if I want to be 100% comfortable turning right behind them but deep down I feel that maybe they need to have some awareness that someone else is behind them and could get creamed if they don't just drive an extra 10 feet forward.

So yeah, mildly irritating even if some fault is with me. I just want some more spacial awareness from other drivers, man.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3235 on: January 25, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
That actually happened to me today, in fact.  It was an on-ramp for the highway, and after the oncoming car were about 15 more cars.  Not terribly proud of this, but I actually turned too, sort of to the left of the car in front of me (because that's where the most space was) pulling along side, then when we were clear of oncoming traffic, I slowed to let them go. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3236 on: January 26, 2020, 05:13:32 AM »
That actually happened to me today, in fact.  It was an on-ramp for the highway, and after the oncoming car were about 15 more cars.  Not terribly proud of this, but I actually turned too, sort of to the left of the car in front of me (because that's where the most space was) pulling along side, then when we were clear of oncoming traffic, I slowed to let them go.

No shame in that whatsoever.  Although, you were on the left... you should've passed him.    :P :D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: January 27, 2020, 07:47:44 PM »
The US Holidays settings in Google calendar. I like having this as an option, and have it turned on, but I am mildly irritated by their definition of "holiday." I really only want them on my calendar only when it's a national holiday, when government offices and schools are generally closed. St Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo... those bug me a little as they are specific to a culture, but I get that they are ingrained in America society I'll give them a pass. But Tax Day? That's not a damn holiday, that's just the day tax returns are due. Black Friday? Christmas Eve? Since when are these "holidays?" I don't need them flagged on my calendar.

tl;dr... make it so I can have each "holiday" as optional on my calendar. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3238 on: January 28, 2020, 05:59:30 AM »
The US Holidays settings in Google calendar. I like having this as an option, and have it turned on, but I am mildly irritated by their definition of "holiday." I really only want them on my calendar only when it's a national holiday, when government offices and schools are generally closed. St Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo... those bug me a little as they are specific to a culture, but I get that they are ingrained in America society I'll give them a pass. But Tax Day? That's not a damn holiday, that's just the day tax returns are due. Black Friday? Christmas Eve? Since when are these "holidays?" I don't need them flagged on my calendar.

tl;dr... make it so I can have each "holiday" as optional on my calendar. 
Totally Agree

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3239 on: January 28, 2020, 06:51:18 AM »
Was just telling someone recently how I never celebrate St. Pattys Day or Mardi Gras.  I don't need an excuse to drink like a holiday.  In fact, I almost never drink on these days in protest of how stupid these "holidays" have become.  In college it was designated "State Pattys Day" and the bars opened at 7am for all day drinking.  I always thought that was lame and didn't participate.  I'm not even anti partying, just felt these holidays turned into drinking contests and it kind of becomes dumb IMO.  I couldn't care less about them and get em off my calendar too.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3240 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
Mildly irritating.... Most of the time, I'm surprisingly ok with the open office plan.  But a colleague of me seems to have difficulty controling the volume of his voice when he is annoyed...and he's being annoyed on the pone with a vendor.  So I've been chased into a huddle room to try to do my work.   >:(
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: January 28, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »
Was just telling someone recently how I never celebrate St. Pattys Day or Mardi Gras.  I don't need an excuse to drink like a holiday.  In fact, I almost never drink on these days in protest of how stupid these "holidays" have become.  In college it was designated "State Pattys Day" and the bars opened at 7am for all day drinking.  I always thought that was lame and didn't participate.  I'm not even anti partying, just felt these holidays turned into drinking contests and it kind of becomes dumb IMO.  I couldn't care less about them and get em off my calendar too.

I haven't gone out on a New Year's Eve in years; I call it "amateur hour".  Same with Mardi Gras; I sometimes go out on St. Patty's day, but that's more a history thing with my friends (there's a parade in Hartford we've been going to for years), not a celebration of the holiday itself. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3242 on: January 28, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »
Trying to do anything on the designated holidays is always a pain in the ass. Its overly crowded and uncomfortable. If I'm going out, its not gonna be on a more chill night.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3243 on: January 31, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »
We haven’t seen the sun in Minnesota in 11 days. Usually I don’t care, but it’s been cold and snowy most days, or gloomy and cloudy. Three days ago, it just hit me. I’m tired, sad, and just not excited for anything. I’m feeling lazy. I need to get some sun in my life! Apparently we’re supposed to see the sun tomorrow, so I guess I’m finally excited about something!

I’m going to New Orleans on Monday and it’s supposed to be raining the entire time there as well. I can’t catch a break
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3244 on: January 31, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
I am not sure going from one failure of an NFL town to another is going to boost your spirits  :biggrin:

Just be sure to get a damn fine cup of chicory coffee when you are in New Orleans, Special Agent Cooper!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3245 on: January 31, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »
Oh man, I forgot all about Cafe Du Monde. I love a good beignet and cup of chicory coffee. It’s a business trip so I wasn’t really thinking about that. Looking forward to it!

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3246 on: January 31, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »
I have not traveled much, but Cafe du Monde is my #1 most overrated placed I've visited in my vacation travels. But then I don't like coffee. And the beignets were... ok, I guess? I enjoyed just about every other aspect of my visit to MSY more. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3247 on: January 31, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
Well, when I was there three years ago it was for business as well. One of our grocery distributors has their trade show there every three years—rotating between MSY, Atlanta and Nashville (so much fun, would go back again). So I’ve never gone out much. When we went there last time, right when we got there, we were told to travel in big groups and to not stray because one of the reps got mugged and beaten on his way to Bourbon Street. So, nobody was really interested in doing much. And we didn’t have much free time anyway, so Cafe Du Monde was our only “touristy” thing. I liked it, so that’s what I remember.

Any recommendations?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: January 31, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »
There are tours for just about anything, and I enjoyed the couple we went on. I recall the prices were reasonable. We took one on the cemeteries and another through the French Quarter, I don't remember if there was a specific topic/theme. We also took one through the Garden District, which I didn't enjoy as much, though it was cool seeing the residential architecture. We found the buses a convenient way to get around.

Humorously, my wife was the one that really wanted to go. So we booked the trip, and then right before we left we found out she was pregnant, and eventually got the associated sickness. So she ended up not eating or drinking much at all, much to her annoyance.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3249 on: February 01, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »
I'm in NYC on a business trip.  On Wednesday, I caught the first period of the LA Kings game on NBCSN.  It was the first event at Staples Center since Kobe Bryant died, so they did some pregame stuff.  That's fine, but was I found awfully irritating was when the play-by-play guy (don't know who it was) twice referred to Staples Center as "the house that Kobe built."  Seriously?!  I'm sure it won't happen, but I really hope the hyperbole around this tragedy stops very soon.

I'm also finding myself increasingly irritated with the term "passed."  Kobe Bryant and Neil Peart didn't "pass."  They died, and using a euphemism doesn't make it any better.  And yes, I know I'm somewhat mimicking George Carlin with this one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: February 02, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
You going to be in NYC still on Thursday?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3251 on: February 02, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
There are tours for just about anything, and I enjoyed the couple we went on. I recall the prices were reasonable. We took one on the cemeteries and another through the French Quarter, I don't remember if there was a specific topic/theme. We also took one through the Garden District, which I didn't enjoy as much, though it was cool seeing the residential architecture. We found the buses a convenient way to get around.

Humorously, my wife was the one that really wanted to go. So we booked the trip, and then right before we left we found out she was pregnant, and eventually got the associated sickness. So she ended up not eating or drinking much at all, much to her annoyance.
We’ll have to look into some of these. If I remember, there’s a WWII museum in downtown as well. It’s a fun place to go, just gotta find the time to get out on this trip
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3252 on: February 02, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »
You going to be in NYC still on Thursday?

Nope.  Flew home today.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: February 03, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »
I have not traveled much, but Cafe du Monde is my #1 most overrated placed I've visited in my vacation travels. But then I don't like coffee. And the beignets were... ok, I guess? I enjoyed just about every other aspect of my visit to MSY more.

I'm a big fan of NO, go there a lot, and even got married there back in the day.  I do two things whenever I'm there, circumstances allowing:   Oysters at ACME, and a beignet.   Never gets old, to me. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: February 03, 2020, 07:17:58 AM »
Well, when I was there three years ago it was for business as well. One of our grocery distributors has their trade show there every three years—rotating between MSY, Atlanta and Nashville (so much fun, would go back again). So I’ve never gone out much. When we went there last time, right when we got there, we were told to travel in big groups and to not stray because one of the reps got mugged and beaten on his way to Bourbon Street. So, nobody was really interested in doing much. And we didn’t have much free time anyway, so Cafe Du Monde was our only “touristy” thing. I liked it, so that’s what I remember.

Any recommendations?

I've heard stories too; my ex-wife was on a work trip there, and one of her colleagues got mugged outside of the Harrah's on Canal Street.  It's like any city; you have to be aware and take care.  I'm a friendly, "talk-to-anyone" kind of guy, but I put on a healthy dose of "skeptical" when I go and don't talk to people on the street.

If you're in the Quarter, I'm a huge fan of ACME Oyster House, I'm always partial to Emeril's NOLA restaurant, and you can't go wrong if you look up the places that get mentioned on the Food Network (especially Guy's Grocery Games and Diners, Driveins and Dives).   The Warehouse District is good for food as well.   I don't do a lot of the touristy stuff, though I do visit the antique stores on Royal when I can.