Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308765 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3185 on: January 07, 2020, 06:48:12 AM »
If you watch the videos on your cellphone you only get ads at the beginning of the video (At least oh Iphone).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3186 on: January 08, 2020, 01:35:15 PM »
So I have NO IDEA where to put this so I'll just put it here. I'm not really all that irritated, but more so WTF??

Remember these old CD boxes?

And how it was such a waste of cardboard?

Well, I just got 5 cd's delivered from Amazon today in this:

It's a 19x14x3.5 inch box!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3187 on: January 08, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
I shit you not, I received that same sized box only to receive a single pack of velcro that could fit in the palm of my hand. Drives me nuts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3188 on: January 08, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
Compare that with ordering something from China; I ordered a couple crimp-on wire connectors - two - and it came in a paper envelope that was maybe 2" square.  How that didn't get lost somewhere in transit is beyond me.   

TAC, you get anything good?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3189 on: January 08, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
As an engineer who regularly works on cost reduction projects, this drive me up the wall. I'm sure Amazon has determined that it's only worth having X number of box sizes as options and if you don't fit in one size (or if they happen to be out of a size), you go up to the next size regardless of how oversized it is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3190 on: January 08, 2020, 01:43:21 PM »
Compare that with ordering something from China; I ordered a couple crimp-on wire connectors - two - and it came in a paper envelope that was maybe 2" square.  How that didn't get lost somewhere in transit is beyond me.   

TAC, you get anything good?

So I just went on a Motorhead kick..(see The Cool Thread!) I have most of their stuff, but nothing of the 10 album run from Bastards to The World Is Yours.

Just blew the rest of my Christmas Amazon $$ on 6 of them. The 6th is coming tomorrow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3191 on: January 08, 2020, 01:45:14 PM »
As an engineer who regularly works on cost reduction projects, this drive me up the wall. I'm sure Amazon has determined that it's only worth having X number of box sizes as options and if you don't fit in one size (or if they happen to be out of a size), you go up to the next size regardless of how oversized it is.

I remember reading an AMA or something on Reddit with an Amazon Employee and he said it has more to do with how the truck will be filled rather than what the product fits best in. A computer decides how to optimally load the truck and a larger box might ... Oh fuck it. I'm just going to Google it.   

Heh, found it:
https://www.simplemost.com/amazon-pack-small-items-big-boxes/

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3192 on: January 08, 2020, 01:46:33 PM »
That makes a lot of sense actually. I always assumed there was a reason. Just never had the interest to Google it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3193 on: January 08, 2020, 01:47:50 PM »
When I used to work in a warehouse, it would upset me whenever we had a truck delivery, receive a box slightly bigger than that one and get only a bag of guitar picks inside or 1 pack of strings  :censored

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3194 on: January 08, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »

I remember reading an AMA or something on Reddit with an Amazon Employee and he said it has more to do with how the truck will be filled rather than what the product fits best in. A computer decides how to optimally load the truck and a larger box might ... Oh fuck it. I'm just going to Google it.   

Heh, found it:

The guy that delivered it was driving a car smaller than a fucking Yugo. :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3195 on: January 08, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »

Heh, found it:
*snip*

It's about the trucks leaving the Amazon Processing Warehouses, not what they leave a USPS or UPS branch in.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3196 on: January 08, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »
Yeah, I got that. I just found the size of the actual delivery vehicle ironic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3197 on: January 08, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I know someone who did or does still, work in an amazon boxing factory.  The boxers don't choose the box at all, it's provided automatically through the software as already stated. 

Also TAC, I do hope there were those cushioner things in that box  :lol  I actually don't recall noticing this issue myself but to me, that just means I'll have a bigger fire on the weekend.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3198 on: January 08, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
Yes it had a giant pillow pack in it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3199 on: January 08, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »

Who would EVER want to fuck in a Yugo?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: January 08, 2020, 03:46:28 PM »

https://www.dreamt

Look, it was college, and I was drunk at the time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3201 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »
Seems Tick isn't the only tech challenged fogey. What kind of link is that? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: January 08, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »

Funny, I try not to order anything from China but do on occasion (sometimes accidentally) and yes they don't waste any space with their packaging.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3203 on: January 08, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
The extreme volume difference in movie. Turn volume way up to hear the dialogue. Turn volume way back down when the sound effects or music kick in. It's super annoying when we're trying to watch movies at a fairly low volume after the kids go to bed.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3204 on: January 08, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »
The extreme volume difference in movie. Turn volume way up to hear the dialogue. Turn volume way back down when the sound effects or music kick in. It's super annoying when we're trying to watch movies at a fairly low volume after the kids go to bed.

I used to have this problem big time with certain streaming services. I adjusted the "center" setting on my surround sound, as well as changed the audio out setting on my PS4 to dynamic or something like that. Took care of it right away.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3205 on: January 08, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
PS4?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3208 on: January 09, 2020, 06:16:17 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3209 on: January 09, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »
Am lost.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: January 09, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »
Haken
It's in every thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3211 on: January 09, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »

I used to have this problem big time with certain streaming services. I adjusted the "center" setting on my surround sound, as well as changed the audio out setting on my PS4 to dynamic or something like that. Took care of it right away.

The first Lord of the Rings movie came out about half way through my wife's first pregnancy.  The second came out when my son was about seven months ago, and the third came out about a month before my daughter was born.  I can remember trying to watch the second and third movies while my son was napping.  We were constantly grabbing for the remote to turn the volume up or down.  I don't remember this issue with other shows or movies, but I'm sure it happened.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3212 on: January 09, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: January 09, 2020, 01:27:43 PM »
Seems Tick isn't the only tech challenged fogey. What kind of link is that? :lol

I have no idea how that got there.  :)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3214 on: January 10, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »
I find it irritating that for services we pay someone for that we are asked to provide a rating for (like Uber and stuff like that) that the expectation is that satisfactory service gets a 5 star rating (assuming a scale of 1-5). To me, if the person does the bare minimum of service (for Uber this would be getting me to my destination without any drama), they should get 3 stars. 4 and 5 reserved for being for when someone goes above and beyond. But we're expected to give 5 stars all the time unless something goes wrong. How can we reward those who bust their ass to do a great job if service that is just satisfactory is given 5 stars?

This is being said by someone who has a Rover dog sitting business and is very pleased with his 4.9 star rating. So I am a giant hypocrite of course. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3215 on: January 10, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »
 :lol

I feel like I've given so many bad uber drivers 5 stars just out of habit.  I usually forget to rate until my next drive and then just hit 5 stars to get past the screen.  I wish I didn't have to rate.  I don't want to ruin peoples jobs.  I've given bad ratings for the truly bad experiences, but it's just annoying to not be able to opt out.  Anyway, I have a 4.86 uber rating and use it a lot.  I'm proud of that.  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3216 on: January 10, 2020, 06:53:07 AM »
I usually give 5 star out of habit as well. The only times I give 4 or less is for bad/unsafe driving.

I never thought of it but you are right, an average uber ride will get 5 stars but I guess that's why they have the "Compliments" which I usually do it for clean cars and if they are playing rock music  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3217 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »
I think the whole star rating system is flawed AF.

I have read FAR too many reviews that read something like, "So I ordered coffee after dinner, and the coffee came in a regular cup with saucer, not a large mug like I'm used to having.  They should tell you this in advance.  I wasted my money.  Three stars!"

That second part is almost an entry of it's own: "They should tell you."   There are some people in this world that literally have to be told EVERYTHING in advance and give their blessing, otherwise the world is just not turning in the right direction for them.   Life doesn't work that way.   These people would survive all of about nine seconds in a holocaust. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3218 on: January 10, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
:lol

I feel like I've given so many bad uber drivers 5 stars just out of habit.  I usually forget to rate until my next drive and then just hit 5 stars to get past the screen.  I wish I didn't have to rate.  I don't want to ruin peoples jobs.  I've given bad ratings for the truly bad experiences, but it's just annoying to not be able to opt out.  Anyway, I have a 4.86 uber rating and use it a lot.  I'm proud of that.  :lol

If you give too many low ratings, doesn’t Uber stop picking you up?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3219 on: January 10, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »
I'm not sure, but I could see that being the case.