Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308708 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #3150 on: January 01, 2020, 05:34:08 PM »
So?

Not drinking is also a choice. Why does that matter?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3151 on: January 01, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
This is a fascinating conversation for me, since I can easily take both sides.

If I'm hosting, I try to be a good host and have options. If I want friends that want to come back, I should have a menu that appeals to a broad audience.   If I'm a guest, I take what they serve.  If I want a special menu, I can throw the party next time.

I know one of things we're trying to teach my 12 year old - who would only eat cheeseburgers and pizza was he king of the Seven Kingdoms - that sometimes you have to eat that which isn't your first choice, and you don't always have the chance to order special off the menu.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3152 on: January 01, 2020, 06:11:33 PM »
Indeed.

I’m not saying we should be catered to and I definitely don’t make a big deal out of any of it.

But I’ve been to parties or functions where they’ll order like 8 huge subs or 7 pizzas and ALL of them have meat. A cheese pizza isn’t a ton to ask. A veggie sandwich isn’t also a ton. I’m not saying go out of your way to feed me. If I can’t eat, I can’t eat. Such is life. But if you’re ordering 7 pizzas, they don’t all need meat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3153 on: January 01, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
Indeed.

I’m not saying we should be catered to and I definitely don’t make a big deal out of any of it.

But I’ve been to parties or functions where they’ll order like 8 huge subs or 7 pizzas and ALL of them have meat. A cheese pizza isn’t a ton to ask. A veggie sandwich isn’t also a ton. I’m not saying go out of your way to feed me. If I can’t eat, I can’t eat. Such is life. But if you’re ordering 7 pizzas, they don’t all need meat.

I don't disagree with that at all. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3154 on: January 01, 2020, 06:15:37 PM »
Well then clearly I’m completely wrong. Dammit!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3155 on: January 01, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »
I've never heard of a pizza party that didn't have cheese pizzas.

I eat meat, but I only eat cheese pizzas. (I do like bacon pizza) (But I don't like pepperoni) Don't gum up my pizza with a bunch of shit on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: January 01, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »
If I were king, a pizza would only be able to qualify for that name if it had sauce, cheese, and one additional item on it. Sauce and cheese on crust shouldn't qualify as pizza.

I know one of things we're trying to teach my 12 year old...that sometimes you have to eat that which isn't your first choice, and you don't always have the chance to order special off the menu.

We are working hard on this with my 8 year old too. You need to start eating what we prepare for you, because when you go to a friend's house, and they make you dinner, you don't get to say "I don't care for that, what else can I have?"

I jokingly complain when a group will order one whole cheese pizza for one person, but what you typed is fair and reasonable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3157 on: January 01, 2020, 07:13:04 PM »
If I were king, a pizza would only be able to qualify for that name if it had sauce, cheese, and one additional item on it. Sauce and cheese on crust shouldn't qualify as pizza.

WAIT A MINUTE THERE, KING!

Cheese pizza, bro. Don't be a pizza snob.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3158 on: January 01, 2020, 07:18:05 PM »
Hey, hey hey!  What's this slanderous shit! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3159 on: January 02, 2020, 05:24:30 AM »

It would seem you haven't had a good quality margherita pizza before because a good sauce, cheese, and crust should hold on their own. I'm definitely a fan of toppings but a pizza is definitely the main three ingredients.

Question: would a pizza with half cheese only and half topping be only considered half a pizza?  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: January 02, 2020, 07:15:55 AM »
Bordering on pissed off (and a repeat compliant):  Drive-through abuse.   

Had to do a favor for my son who is in Afghanistan; he's got a couple cars that he wanted to sell before he deployed and couldn't.  So somehow, he (or his wife) got a buyer lined up.  The car had been sitting for a couple weeks (months now) and had to be possibly jumped, fueled, and tires checked.   Plus, I didn't want to bring a stranger to a single mom's house, so I agreed to prep the car, and drive it to a local gas station/Dunkin' Donuts to meet the guy.

I get up early, get dressed, but I'm stressed, because I really don't know how long this is going to take.  I have gas, I have a quick leak fix, jumper cables, title, bill of sale... and I stop for a quick coffee for the drive (it's about 20 minutes).   Two cars in the drive through: me, and the lady in front of me...     But what a lady, for fuck's sake.   Custom latte's hold the this, add the that.   Sandwich wraps, hold the this, add the that.  Wait, I meant add the THAT, hold the THIS.  Wait, on the drink, I need that half-caf chai latte with no cream to actually have cream...

GET OUT OF THE FUCKING CAR AND WALK IN FOR YOUR CATERING ORDER.   

Then, to add insult to injury, they get their two drinks and two bags of food (two people in the car) and the phone gets handed over.  Wait, have to unlock the screen, but it's passengers phone so it has to be passed. Then, due to her finely manicured nails, she drops the phone on the hand off as the guy is trying to scan it; thank god the clerk caught it.   Then - instead of the passenger doing this while the payment scheme was negotiated, THEN they have to go through the bags.    I finally pull up - this literally took almost 20 minutes, as long as my entire drive - and the kid looks at me and mouths "I'm sorry".     

As I left?  Easily 5 or more cars in the line (I couldn't count them all because they wrapped around the building).   Oh, and INB4 the "you could have gone in yourself", and that's very true, I could have.  I would have if I could have gotten out of the line once I realized I was in for a pound, not a penny, but I was locked in; curb on one side, new car behind me.  In any event, the metric at the drive through is QUICK.   There is a TIMER on those transactions.  One would think my transaction is the purpose for the drive through (at least one of them), not the custom catering order.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3161 on: January 02, 2020, 07:31:17 AM »
I'm totally with you Bill.  If you're ordering for more than 2 people, or $20, or 3+ handoffs between window and car, it's not drive-thru eligible order.  It's like the 10 items of less cashier at the grocery store.  Have some goddamn consideration for all the people you're inconveniencing because of your laziness.  Wouldn't you just love for a cashier to say "sorry, we can't accept that order at drive-thru, get out of the car and get your lazy ass inside".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3162 on: January 02, 2020, 07:49:57 AM »
Bills story is similar to one of the single largest issues that sends me into a tizzy every time......and that is people who do their banking at an ATM. If it's normal business hours and you're spending more than a minute or so at the ATM.....you need to go inside because you've now ruined the 'convenience' of the ATM for the rest of the public as you sit there for 10 minutes executing procedures that should be done inside.

Even after hours this bugs the  :censored out of me but I can understand it more. for me, ATM's are for a quick cash withdrawal.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3163 on: January 02, 2020, 08:35:56 AM »
I second the ATM one. I see it all the time and my rule is "if it takes more than 30 seconds, go to a teller". I understand the convenience of using an ATM but they should really strip down the features so it's a money retrieving system only.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3164 on: January 02, 2020, 08:45:28 AM »
I second the ATM one. I see it all the time and my rule is "if it takes more than 30 seconds, go to a teller". I understand the convenience of using an ATM but they should really strip down the features so it's a money retrieving system only.

The idea is that by having a machine that can do all that stuff, you need less people inside that require checks, healthcare, and days off. It also allows you to close the bank earlier and even for an entire day on the weekend. Also, there are a lot banks that don't have branches and will instead have one of these all-in-one ATMs in town. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's easier for the bank to just make 50,000 of the same machine, rather than 15,000 all-in-ones and 35,000 "money retrieving only" machines.

I don't like it, but I can totally understand why it's a thing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: January 02, 2020, 09:09:36 AM »

The idea is that by having a machine that can do all that stuff, you need less people inside that require checks, healthcare, and days off. It also allows you to close the bank earlier and even for an entire day on the weekend. Also, there are a lot banks that don't have branches and will instead have one of these all-in-one ATMs in town. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's easier for the bank to just make 50,000 of the same machine, rather than 15,000 all-in-ones and 35,000 "money retrieving only" machines.

I don't like it, but I can totally understand why it's a thing.

I get that the ATM isn’t just a cash withdrawal machine. But, during business hours if you’re not competent enough to operate the machine in a timely manner or have (15) different deposits/withdrawals etc etc to execute.....go inside to take care of your business.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: January 02, 2020, 11:07:25 AM »
Having worked a drive through before, I totally agree.  There is a timer and I'd hate when someone pulls up, didn't know what they wanted, waited for 5 minutes, and then placed a crazy order that would take 10 minutes to prepare... all while the clock kept ticking and the line got longer. 

Please go inside if you don't know what you want to take your time and look at the menu and then order your crazy meal.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3167 on: January 02, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
I'll toss another hat into the ring: people who bring their entire, full to the top shopping cart to the self checkout line.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3168 on: January 02, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
I'll toss another hat into the ring: people who bring their entire, full to the top shopping cart to the self checkout line.

What are they doing with the cart after?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: January 02, 2020, 05:20:33 PM »

What are they doing with the cart after?

:hat

but seriously, this was an issue this holiday season at my local grocery store.  It was really busy as expected but people decided to bring their full carts to self check out where there is a clear sign of 20 items or less.  Now I don't expect the people working there to count and make sure its exactly under 20, use of judgment makes sense, but a full cart is clearly breaking the rules and the people working the self checkout area should direct those people to the cashier lines.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3170 on: January 02, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »
The drive through food/ATM and self-check out irritants are all part and parcel of people who don't give a shit about anybody but themselves.  Rude, thoughtless, people are one of my hugest pet peeves.  I seriously have to talk myself out of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" sometimes.  But my mama raised me to be considerate and deep down I know that is a plus not a minus.  But still.   >:(

So we have this neighbor that is right behind our house.  We are on an upslope of a street so when you walk out on our back deck, you can literally look into his backyard and if his curtains are open, see into his family room.  We have trees that block this nicely in the summer/fall months but after the leaves are down, it's pretty much open.

So neighbor has a dog.  Dog is probably 3 or 4 years old.  He barks a bit but it isn't anything too bad.  Except when the neighbor goes somewhere and leaves him in the back yard.  Then he barks continuously and non-stop until his owner gets home.  So New Years Eve, I notice there are 4 dogs back there.  Dude must have some friends over who brought their dogs.  No biggie.  Of course, fireworks cause dogs to bark.  But by 1 am, things have settled down and we've gone to sleep.  Around 3 am, the dogs start barking and bark nonstop for over an hour.  FFS.  The sound carries like a megaphone into my bedroom.

New Years Day is a holiday for me.  So I resolve to get a nice nap in.  Well guess what?  This guy leaves the house from 10 am to 6 pm and those damn dogs are barking the ENTIRE FUCKING TIME.  No nap for me.

I write a note - not threatening but asking him to be considerate of the neighborhood - take it over to tape to his door and show up to find several notes from other neighbors too.  Go figure.

It's been quiet as a tomb over there for about 24 hours now.   :metal

Now I love dogs.  I love animals.  But why are some of their owners so fucking dense?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3171 on: January 02, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
People who are oblivious to their dogs barking all day are (obvious hyperbole coming) the worst.

An apartment where I lived years ago had these damn birds that chirped every morning around 5 am, and once they woke me up, there was no going back to sleep, so I just started turning on the A/C fan at full blast every night before I went to sleep and that took care of it.  I can sleep though that kind of white noise with no problem whatsoever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3172 on: January 02, 2020, 06:55:31 PM »
So I just read this story..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/deer-hunter-arrested-after-familys-pet-horse-is-shot/ar-BBYyAl2?li=BBnba9I

Some guy shooting at deer hits a family's pet horse by accident. The guy is charged. The horse survives.

But here's the kicker..
The horse's family sets up a GoFundMe page for the horse's medical expenses.

Are you fucking kidding me??

Go ahead and sue the guy. But set up a GoFundMe page? How shameful. I totally get if the lady gets cancer or something, but WTF?

They've reached their goal of $1500. They got their money, so there's that. But it just doesn't sit right with me. I just think that's lame. We've gone GoFundMe crazy IMO.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: January 02, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
I might side with the minority on the ATM issue.

I understand the convenience of using an ATM but they should really strip down the features so it's a money retrieving system only.

Depositing a check doesn't take more than 2 minutes, assuming you have your shit together. That is going to take a hell of a lot less time than going inside to talk to a teller. If I ran a bank I would say if you are depositing less than 3 checks, you are required to use an ATM, don't tie up my staff with something you can do with a machine in less than 5 minutes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3174 on: January 03, 2020, 06:43:41 AM »
Once my friend, my sister and I were sitting at the bench next to an ATM, glancing at a lady using it. Five minutes later, we glanced again, same lady. Two minutes afterwards, same story. We took a closer look at what she was doing, and saw she was trying to put a bus card in the ATM (it has a distinct color)  :lol Everyone has the right to have a brainfart in public, but that was pretty damn funny.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3175 on: January 03, 2020, 07:18:14 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/deer-hunter-arrested-after-familys-pet-horse-is-shot/ar-BBYyAl2?li=BBnba9I

Some guy shooting at deer hits a family's pet horse by accident. The guy is charged. The horse survives.

But here's the kicker..

Go ahead and sue the guy. But set up a GoFundMe page? How shameful. I totally get if the lady gets cancer or something, but WTF?

They've reached their goal of $1500. They got their money, so there's that. But it just doesn't sit right with me. I just think that's lame. We've gone GoFundMe crazy IMO.

I see no problem with that on the surface. A few years ago I kicked 5 bucks to a family whose dog was stabbed during a home invasion. But part of me thinks that if you can afford a horse, you could afford the $1500 in medical bills.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: January 03, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »

But here's the kicker..

I see no problem with that on the surface. A few years ago I kicked 5 bucks to a family whose dog was stabbed during a home invasion. But part of me thinks that if you can afford a horse, you could afford the $1500 in medical bills.

My brother started a 'Go Fund Me' page to try and raise $$ for his new dogs hip surgery.

I have not donated.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: January 03, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
I don't know; these things bring out the worst in ol' Stadler.  Part of me is:  it's a free country.  GoFundMe for whatever you want.  Cancer, horses, new sex toys to save the marriage.   It's my prerogative to donate or not, and no harm no foul.   But part of me believes this is a deeper issue, with ramifications.   What is this obsession with entitlement, that somehow 1) no harm should befall anyone, and 2) that if it does, we have an implied duty to take care of it for you?   I get all the arguments - most advanced society in the history of the planet, more resources/wealth than any society in the history of the planet, blah blah blah - but we're still human animals at the end of the day, and part of that existence is experiencing, dealing with, and processing hurt/pain/loss.   The courts are there to mete out justice when its deserved, but that's the rub: it's not always easy, cheap or free-flowing, as it should be. 

Then compare this with the other topics in this thread (and elsewhere on this board):  we've really become rather good at the grand, epic, bold gesture ("[Insert City/Person/Place] Strong!") but we've also gotten pretty progressively shitty at the little gestures, which are, in my view, the building blocks of a meaningful, coherent, strong interpersonal society.

(I'm a stats guy; I'd love to see the numbers on how many times someone has donated to a GoFundMe, or bought a "[Child's Name] Strong!" shirt, or participated in those stupid social media challenges (another post...) then within twelve hours flipped someone off on the highway, fucked someone over in the left hand lane, brought their 50 items to the self-check, deposited five third-party checks at the ATM, ordered five quarter-pounder meals (one with no onions, one with no ketchup, one with no mustard, one with no bun, and one with no burger) at the drive through....)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3178 on: January 03, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
I don't know; these things bring out the worst in ol' Stadler.  Part of me is:  it's a free country.  GoFundMe for whatever you want.  Cancer, horses, new sex toys to save the marriage.   It's my prerogative to donate or not, and no harm no foul.   But part of me believes this is a deeper issue, with ramifications.   What is this obsession with entitlement, that somehow 1) no harm should befall anyone, and 2) that if it does, we have an implied duty to take care of it for you?   I get all the arguments - most advanced society in the history of the planet, more resources/wealth than any society in the history of the planet, blah blah blah - but we're still human animals at the end of the day, and part of that existence is experiencing, dealing with, and processing hurt/pain/loss.   The courts are there to mete out justice when its deserved, but that's the rub: it's not always easy, cheap or free-flowing, as it should be. 

I agree with you and think pretty much in line, but I bolded what I did to try and explain where I was coming from in my dog donation. I think I've donated to 3 Go Fund Me pages.

One was for an inner city high school's robotics team in CT to get to nationals. As a former robotics member from another team in CT, it just felt right. They worked hard and earned their spot in nationals, and the only thing holding them back was that they come from a city where EBT is the primary method of buying goods. Every single one of my robotics trips was funded through donations, they were just in the form of standing outside grocery stores with cans or a fat check from the Siemon Company in Watertown. I was happy to help those kids get where they needed to go.

The second was for a Connecticut family who had their 14 year old daughter hang herself from the top bunk of her sisters' bunk beds. It was my best friend's niece and the family was too poor to afford a funeral. I gave them $25.

The third, and this where your bold bit comes in, is that I felt that even if the dog lived, the family already had to deal with a type of hurt and pain I'll hopefully never experience. The kids in that house are probably traumatized, and if keeping their dog alive could help them get through that shitty period in life, I'm happy to help. The horse being shot is an unfortunate accident, something that everyone experiences many times over in some way shape or form. But a home invasion that ended with kids seeing their dog in a pool of its own blood on the floor is a different circumstance, IMO. That's a notch above " processing hurt/pain/loss".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3179 on: January 03, 2020, 09:12:37 AM »
I have no problem with using a GoFundMe.  People have the option to give or not.  And, heck, it's a benefit to the guy who accidentally shot the horse as well, because if they recover all their losses through the GoFundMe, they have no damages to recover in a lawsuit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: January 03, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Chino, I get it; you certainly don't have to defend your choices to me (or ANYONE).  If anything it sounds like you've put the thought into it and at least are looking at it from a more nuanced position.   As I said, this is not a settled issue with me, as I also agree with Bosk's post above.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3181 on: January 03, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »
I have no problem with using a GoFundMe.  People have the option to give or not.  And, heck, it's a benefit to the guy who accidentally shot the horse as well, because if they recover all their losses through the GoFundMe, they have no damages to recover in a lawsuit.

Collateral source rule?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3182 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:38 PM »
He's not in California.  And even if he was, it has a lot of exceptions, so, to give the lawyerly answer, "it depends."  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3183 on: January 03, 2020, 12:26:58 PM »
I don't have an issue with gofundme's on the surface.  I do think some of them make me give a second glance though.  My friends always make fun of someone we were once friends with who started a gofundme for a new guitar because his was stolen, but then after that we all saw him in Europe on vacation on the same social media that he was using to spread his gofundme.  Like it does make me think negatively when the optics are bad.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3184 on: January 07, 2020, 06:29:41 AM »
I'm getting really tired of Youtube's mid-video advertisements. It's getting ridiculous. I watched a 12 minute video yesterday and it was interrupted three times with Youtube Ads. THREE! I used to sit and watch video after video, and it's at the point now where I am finding myself rage quitting Youtube binges because I'm sick of the interruptions.