Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308339 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2800 on: September 19, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »
I should have known we were going to have a bad time when my gf ordered diet coke, and the server asked if pepsi was okay... so I asked, jokingly, for a diet RC cola and she had know idea what I was talking about.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2801 on: September 19, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
Kids run around like they own the place, endangering staff, patrons, and themselves, and Jay gets rung up on an assault charge.  :)   

It's a maxim in the hockey world:  the ref ALWAYS whistles the retaliation. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2802 on: September 19, 2019, 10:52:49 AM »
My beef for the day:  the super-annoying use of "super" as an adjective modifier.   And no, it's not my imagination.

What's even better is when "super" is used to modify "great."  "That's super great!"

That Applebee's story makes me want to kill those kids' parents.  I'd have lost my shit, so kudos to Jay for not doing so.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2803 on: September 19, 2019, 01:33:08 PM »
People that press the and buttons for the elevator, and then get upset if the elevator is not going the direction they are going.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: September 19, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
OH

and speaking of dogs...

We had our dog in the booth, in her doggy purse, who didn't make a goddamn peep the entire time.

Leave the dog at home dammit!

The manager at that place blows.

Maybe ite because I dont have kids but I'd rather have the dog in the restaurant then the kids may mentioned.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2805 on: September 19, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
Kids or no kids, dogs don’t belong in a restaurant. Unless it’s Pet Friendly or an actual registered service animal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: September 19, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
Re: The story about the kids in the restaurant: I am sure the restaurant did a quick risk assessment, evaluating who was likely to be provoked in to starting a massive online boycott campaign. Whatever they saw in you paled in comparison to the potential social media rage machine they saw in the eyes of the other parents.

If it was me, I would have wanted to say something (I know this for a fact because I am that guy who will say something) but wouldn't because it would just precipitate an argument with my wife about me "making a scene."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2807 on: September 19, 2019, 07:54:29 PM »
I hear you.  And I wouldn't have made a scene with the family.  But I would likely have quietly told the manager that their inaction in allowing another guest to ruin the dining experience of everyone around them had lost me as a customer for life, and then I would have left, whether my order was on the table or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: September 19, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
My point was that would be an acceptable loss to them, much more palatable than a potential social media APPLEBEES HATES FAMILIES, KIDS NOT WELCOME boycott.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2809 on: September 19, 2019, 08:20:56 PM »
After spending the last few days in Disney, I would love if a well established business would have the stones to have a "no kids" day every once in awhile. In the case of something like Disney at the very least a "no kids requiring strollers" policy would be good eniugh. Between them and the damn motorized scooters that absolutely nobody seems to know how to use it's a wonder more folks don't get killed in these types of places.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2810 on: September 19, 2019, 08:27:20 PM »
I've pushed my kids around Disney too many times to say in a carriage. And I must say that with so many carriages down there filled with kids, "Carriage Rage" is a real thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #2811 on: September 19, 2019, 11:34:54 PM »
Between them and the damn motorized scooters that absolutely nobody seems to know how to use it's a wonder more folks don't get killed in these types of places.

I've seen people take these urban assault vehicles on public transit escalators and attempt to steer them on / off in a patently unsafe way. I'm convinced this makes Darwin cry. (This is also one of the reasons why I take the stairs, if available).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2812 on: September 20, 2019, 06:22:48 AM »
I'll be one of those people at Disney with a stroller next week! It is frustrating yes, but when going to popular family places like this, you need to go into in expecting tons of kids, large crowds in general, lots of strollers, long lines, crabby kids at nap time and late at night, etc. If these things that you knew in advance will be there still annoy you, that's on you. You knew what you were getting yourself into. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to these place having an adults only event after 8:00pm from time to time. But Disney is unlikely to do that since probably 90% of the people there have small children.

On the flip side, it's super annoying when you have a stroller, and all of the non-stroller people try to sneak around you all the time in crowds. It actually makes the traffic flow significantly slower than if you just stay behind me. Trust me, I'm going as fast as I possibly can.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2813 on: September 20, 2019, 07:22:15 AM »
I've pushed my kids around Disney too many times to say in a carriage. And I must say that with so many carriages down there filled with kids, "Carriage Rage" is a real thing.

It absolutely is; just mingle around the plaza in the hour or so leading up to the fireworks display at the castle.  You can almost feel the rage building in the air.   The combination of kids (meaning adolescents) who just sit down in the middle of the sidewalk and the moms on a stroller death race to get to the back near "Main Street" so they can get to the parking lot the instant TinkerBell greases the wire, and it's like Noel and Liam Gallagher backstage at an awards show.  You know s*** is going to go down, you're just not sure where or exactly when.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:34:30 AM by Stadler »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: September 20, 2019, 07:33:29 AM »
I'll be one of those people at Disney with a stroller next week! It is frustrating yes, but when going to popular family places like this, you need to go into in expecting tons of kids, large crowds in general, lots of strollers, long lines, crabby kids at nap time and late at night, etc. If these things that you knew in advance will be there still annoy you, that's on you. You knew what you were getting yourself into. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to these place having an adults only event after 8:00pm from time to time. But Disney is unlikely to do that since probably 90% of the people there have small children.

On the flip side, it's super annoying when you have a stroller, and all of the non-stroller people try to sneak around you all the time in crowds. It actually makes the traffic flow significantly slower than if you just stay behind me. Trust me, I'm going as fast as I possibly can.

Yeah, I hear you, and I say this respectfully, because I've been there done that, but at some point the realization has to dawn that all travelers in that line are not equal.   I know for me, I was more often than not that guy you saw sitting on the concrete bench eating a box of popcorn, rocking my kid in the stroller.  I know, I know, we all pay the admission and all that, but honestly, I took the approach that it's my stroller, it's my responsibility.   If I saw people start to scream by me, unless it was just impossible to do, I tried to get out of the flow. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2815 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:54 AM »

Yeah, I hear you, and I say this respectfully, because I've been there done that, but at some point the realization has to dawn that all travelers in that line are not equal.   I know for me, I was more often than not that guy you saw sitting on the concrete bench eating a box of popcorn, rocking my kid in the stroller.  I know, I know, we all pay the admission and all that, but honestly, I took the approach that it's my stroller, it's my responsibility.   If I saw people start to scream by me, unless it was just impossible to do, I tried to get out of the flow. 
Sure, if it's obvious I'm slowing people down unnecessarily I do my best to stay off to the side.

My beef is when I'm two feet behind the person in front of me and going with the flow of traffic and people sneak around me to fill up that two foot of open space, and now I need to stop to rebuild the buffer so I don't run into people's ankles, slowing down everyone behind me just so that guy can go just as fast behind the people in front of me as he was behind me. Repeat a dozen times over the 5 minutes of being stuck in a traffic jam there's no way to get out of and it slows things down significantly. Just stay with the flow of traffic and we'll all make it through this together.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2816 on: September 20, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »
Hit the ankles. Trip ‘em if you can.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2817 on: September 20, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »
My point was that would be an acceptable loss to them, much more palatable than a potential social media APPLEBEES HATES FAMILIES, KIDS NOT WELCOME boycott.

Oh, I know.  I'm not saying that would change corporate's position in the slightest.  But I think there's still something to be said for that manager actually feeling the weight of having to deal with that decision in real time and knowing that it has consequences, even if the decision is out of his/her hands or even if he/she ultimately agrees with the calculus of "this is the lesser of two evils in today's world."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2818 on: September 20, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
Trying to buy clothes online (in this case armored motorcycle jeans no store has that I can try on)

Ordered size 30s and they were so tight I couldn't even get them on. Sent them back and ordered 34's. Just put them on and they are falling down  :facepalm:

So I guess I'll send them back again and try 32's lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2819 on: September 20, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »
Trying to buy clothes online (in this case armored motorcycle jeans no store has that I can try on)

Ordered size 30s and they were so tight I couldn't even get them on. Sent them back and ordered 34's. Just put them on and they are falling down  :facepalm:

So I guess I'll send them back again and try 32's lol

You have an armored motorcycle?!  That's cool!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2820 on: September 21, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »
I feel your pain on ordering clothes online. I usually buy multiple sizes and styles and send back what doesn't fit or I don't want.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: September 22, 2019, 06:39:54 AM »
That's what my wife does. She travels for work M-F so she doesn't want to spend time at stores. She'll order a bunch and return what she doesn't like.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2822 on: September 22, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
That's what my wife does. She travels for work M-F so she doesn't want to spend time at stores. She'll order a bunch and return what she doesn't like.

Being "asked" to work all weekend by phone on Friday night at 8pm when I was well into a nice case of beer. Then coming home today and being so tired i read a comment like this and wonder what does M-F mean.  She travels for work Mother-Fucker so ...    oh  Monday to Friday!

Lol. I need sleep.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: September 22, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
Jim Nance.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: September 23, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2825 on: September 23, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
 :lol

That F$%^&*^ toast card he carries with him! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2826 on: September 26, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
ESPN’s day shows asking and opining about how _____ should feel about _______.  “How should Melvin Gordon feel about his failed holdout?” Or, “How should LeBron feel about not being ranked the NBA’s #1 player any more?” I’ve got a better question: Who the hell cares? They’re grown adults. They can decide how to feel for themselves.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:08:14 PM by Snow Dog »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2827 on: September 26, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
<Deleted - accidental double post>

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2828 on: September 26, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »
ESPN’s day shows asking and opining about how _____ should feel about _______.  “How should Melvin Gordon feel about his failed holdout?” Or, “How should LeBron feel about not being ranked the NBA’s #1 player any more?” I’ve got a better question: Who the hell cares? They’re grown adults. They can decide how to feel for themselves.

Sounds about right, and it's lazy.

I was talking with a guy at work the other day about this general topic.  I don't ever turn on ESPN anymore unless it's carrying a game I want to watch.  And, with the exception of Mason & Ireland (and I don't know if that's a strictly SoCal show or if it's syndicated), ESPN's radio shows generally suck (although the guy I was talking with was extolling the virtues of the mid-day guy (whose name I can't recall).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: September 27, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »
People who talk during concerts.  Not music-appropriate "woo's!" or "Yeah, Steve!" or "Look at that ass!" (to me).   I'm talking conversations.

I went and saw Steve Hackett last night.  500 seat theater and I'm third row center.  Couldn't be better.   Except... this woman right behind me kept saying "So good!" during the songs - I don't mean once or twice at the end of each one, I mean almost like what you'd think was "Tourettes"*.  EASILY 75 times or more.  Okay, I can live with that, I guess.   But the set was an hour of a celebration for Spectral Mornings, and a hour and 15 or so of Genesis (he played the Selling England album in it's entirety, then ended with a supposed unrecorded song from Pete, Dance On A Volcano and Los Endos).   But at the break her and her friend refueled with wine and the other one basically just talked the entire second half of SEBTP.   That wonderful quiet part in Cinema Show as they build up to the Tony solo (played as a keyboard and clarinet duet; AWESOME, by the way)? "blah blah blah... So Good!... blah blah blah... So good!... "    Add to that two flash photos and drumming/tapping that was out of time to the song (Battle of Epping Forest is admittedly not the easiest song to tap along to but still).   

Didn't ruin the show or anything - it was very good, better than I hoped, not as good as it could have been - but certainly "irritating".  The guys next to me, when the show was over, turned to me and said "Wow! What'd you think?  That was SO GOOD." and sort of turned to the women, but they had already bolted while the band was on stage taking bows.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2830 on: September 27, 2019, 08:13:11 AM »
I found some footage from this concert...

Was it the lady in the dark blue or the light blue shirt?

Jeez Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: September 27, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
Dark blue, for sure. 

That photo isn't that far off, either.  This was one of the older and weirder crowds I've ever seen.  Usually the shows I go to like this - Jon Anderson, the Dregs, The Musical Box - are a mix, dudes with their kids, game wives up for a night out, etc.   This was a LOT of guys, and a lot of guys who might still live in their mom's basement.  I was easily on the low side of the age bell curve.

One dude actually had a "Foghat: Live!" t-shirt on, unironically. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2832 on: September 27, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
I am not a dick. That's what irritates me.

I'll explain later. I'm too pissed off at the moment.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2833 on: September 27, 2019, 10:44:10 AM »
Does somebody need a hug?

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2834 on: September 27, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
haha, no. That's not it.

I think you're either a dick or you're not. You just don't go through life half dick (Yeah, have at it Chad--a meatball there for ya! :lol)