Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 304916 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2590 on: August 19, 2019, 01:48:15 PM »
It's funny seeing these young kids wanting to be youtubers.  THere isn't money out there for that.  The youtube money train left 5 years ago.  It'll be interesting if you can even create any content on it in 10 years with the way they are becoming more restrictive and less lucrative.  In fact, if you were to be able to make a living doing youtube, you should be concerned already for your future money because for one, google can do what they want with their youtube platform.  Meaning you could be out of a job for no good reason.  Also, if you need to enter the real work force from being a social media star, you will be entering with no skills to be hirable at all.  In fact, I think it's a legit issue for social media influencers who are finding themselves unable to afford their lifestyle and unable to turn their life style into a real career as posing for pictures or doing video reviews doesnt really prepare you for a job in the real world.

This is why I could never be a YouTube/Twitch streamer even though I honestly would LOVE to stream games all the time when I'm off work. Yeah it's a fun ride and you have an audience and you're playing games but knowing everything could just go away at the drop of a hat is terrifying. There's a guy I watch with a surprisingly small audience yet he manages to make a living, which is cool, but... what happens when it stops? He's been doing it almost a decade now. That's a decade wide gap in actual work (I don't view YouTubing as actual 'work'; most of the 'work' he claims to do is just busywork playing pretend and making up overly complex schedules for playing games on stream).

I've thought about buying some equipment to do a YouTube channel for playing piano but earning money wouldn't be a goal, it would just be for fun.

All of that said... I am absolutely 200% super jealous of people like Ninja who have made money hand over fist from doing that. Literally living the dream, that guy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2591 on: August 19, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »
I've said this before elsewhere but there are a couple ASMRtists I highly enjoy and listen to at night if I am having a hard time going to sleep. But I only like the soft speaking ones. The sounds, the whispering, the gibberish, the eating, all the rest I usually find atrocious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: August 19, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
Ninja doesn't look healthy to me.  I don't know, on one hand, it would be awesome to be a professional gamer.  You get to play games for a living how cool is that?  Well, you have to cater to your fan base, you say one wrong thing and you can be kicked off and publicly shamed for life, you have to stream every day, so meaning essentially 40 hours of gameplay a week, you're trapped in a room all day.  That gets old real quick. 

For me, its all about enjoying it for fun.  If I ever were to make a few bucks from youtube, I'd be happy (in fact, my goal when I started my channel would be to somehow make just enough money to support going to concerts.... not working out at all so far since my I've yet to earn a penny), but I'd be very very weary of making it anything more than "just having fun".  Youtube was much different even just then, less restrictive, I could advertise my original videos and get exposure, now it's impossible almost.  I feel like if you aren't big already, you will struggle to break through unless you are creative in a way no one else is, and it takes a lot of creativity and effort to get there.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2593 on: August 19, 2019, 02:06:11 PM »
It's funny seeing these young kids wanting to be youtubers.  THere isn't money out there for that.  The youtube money train left 5 years ago.  It'll be interesting if you can even create any content on it in 10 years with the way they are becoming more restrictive and less lucrative.  In fact, if you were to be able to make a living doing youtube, you should be concerned already for your future money because for one, google can do what they want with their youtube platform.  Meaning you could be out of a job for no good reason.  Also, if you need to enter the real work force from being a social media star, you will be entering with no skills to be hirable at all.  In fact, I think it's a legit issue for social media influencers who are finding themselves unable to afford their lifestyle and unable to turn their life style into a real career as posing for pictures or doing video reviews doesnt really prepare you for a job in the real world.

This is why I could never be a YouTube/Twitch streamer even though I honestly would LOVE to stream games all the time when I'm off work. Yeah it's a fun ride and you have an audience and you're playing games but knowing everything could just go away at the drop of a hat is terrifying. There's a guy I watch with a surprisingly small audience yet he manages to make a living, which is cool, but... what happens when it stops? He's been doing it almost a decade now. That's a decade wide gap in actual work (I don't view YouTubing as actual 'work'; most of the 'work' he claims to do is just busywork playing pretend and making up overly complex schedules for playing games on stream).

I've thought about buying some equipment to do a YouTube channel for playing piano but earning money wouldn't be a goal, it would just be for fun.

All of that said... I am absolutely 200% super jealous of people like Ninja who have made money hand over fist from doing that. Literally living the dream, that guy.

100% agree with that. I used to have a youtube channel in 2006-07? and some of my videos had healthy view count ( I had one comparing Kirk Hammet to Petrucci). I deleted all my videos and channel later on and regretted once I saw Youtube was going to start paying content creators.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: August 26, 2019, 07:46:29 AM »
Apartment neighbors who move their crap in at 1 AM and don't even attempt to be quiet. I have a townhome on the far end of the building so I'm only connected to one unit. Nobody's lived there for 6 months so it's been pretty darn peaceful tbh. I was almost asleep last night and then they showed back up to move their things in, apparently as loud as possible, and then I couldn't get back to sleep until almost 4 AM. Then I overslept and was almost late to work. I got no problem with people moving at night if they have to but holy heck dude at least make an attempt to not piss off both neighbors you've sandwiched yourself between. It got so bad my neighbor on the other side started chewing them out. And apparently they have a dog, which has yet to rear its drooling ugly head. Lovely.

At least it gave me a fine excuse to make bacon and eggs at 3 AM.  :facepalm: :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
Yea that sucks big time, I mean, if they have to move in at that time maybe because they just drove a far distance, so be it, but yea, be respectful as you can because these are your new neighbors you are pissing off and who wants to start off on the wrong foot like that? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2596 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
1 am?  WTF!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: August 26, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
My thoughts exactly. If it happens again I'm telling someone to STFU.  :lol

I was looking at a house to buy from a friend of my dad's. I even offered to clean it out and fix the roof if he would sell it to me for 40k, when he initially wanted 60k but that was ridiculous because there was soooo much cleaning and repair that had to be done. Well he didn't want to sell it to me. Turns out he just sold it to someone else... for 42k. Motherf----  :censored It was perfect for me too. Oh well. (That's one thing I love about living out here; I tell my east coast friends that I'm trying to get a house for that cheap and their jaws hit the floor because of the cost of homes over there. Whew!)

A mortgage on that place or one similar would be about half of my current rent. I cannot wait to get out of an apartment

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2600 on: August 26, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
I traveled this past week, so I have a lot to offer this thread...

First, the obligatory:  If you're in the left lane and moving the speed limit, not passing anyone, or, worse yet, texting, MOVE THE FUCK OVER.  Holy moly.   (And no, I'm not talking about the fine line cases, I'm talking about the obvious, "there are ten cars behind you, and plenty of room to move over" cases.)   At one point, this car was going LESS than the speed limit, sitting in the left lane, and a car behind her decided to pass on the right.  He was in the middle lane (I was already over in the far right lane, where I usually am) and we sort of went by together, just about.    I looked over, and the girl - looked up from her texting and - with her phone in her hand - flipped off the guy passing her, as if HE is in the wrong!   

Second, how hard is it to NOT stand around and crowd the gate when boarding a plane?  If you're Group 5, and they are boarding Group 1 or 2, why do you need to stand literally in the pathway to the gate?   

Third, I watched a woman put her suitcase in the overhead, then sit right below in that row.  She let one or two people pass, then stood up and pulled her suitcase out and moved it two rows BEHIND her.  So now when we unload, she either needs to push back to get her suitcase or wait until everyone goes past and go back and get it.  If it's the latter, I could care less, that's her business, but that's not usually how it works out.

Fourth, the drive through. I'm on the Mass Pike (I live in CT but flew out of Boston), and I decide I'd like a refreshing iced tea from McDonald's on the way home.  So I pull in behind a minivan.   They are ordering and I can see the guy gesturing out of the window at the order microphone.   He finally moves up and I notice before the screen resets, that the tab is "$62.95".    I order my tea - $2.00 plus or minus - and move up to the window.  He's paying, and I see money going back and forth, and him gesturing again.   Finally he moves up to the pickup window and as I pull up to the pay window, I see the kid putting change in the drawer and shaking his head. To make conversation I say "did that guy really order $62 worth of food?" and he says "yes, and all special order stuff."  I'm like, ugh.  I pay, and pull up.  The bag comes out.  Then SIX drinks.  Then I see a box container going back into the store and more gesturing.  Another bag, and then a few seconds later, a couple more of the box containers going back into the store.  Finally the dude in the window gestures for the van to pull up to the "Special Order Waiting" window, and the fucking guy pulls up half way.  So now I have my refreshing tea, but I can't get past this asshole to get out!  Finally I blew my horn, he moved up enough I could jockey around (with the use of reverse) and in a rare display (believe it or not I'm not a road rage kind of guy, at all) I rolled my window down, and yelled "go inside next time you lazy sacks!".  If you have a big order or a special order, be courteous and go inside (there were six people in the van; even if there was a handicapped or disabled person in the van they weren't ALL, that was clear.  The driver looked like a reasonably fit man in his mid-twenties). And it's not like Mickey D's is chock full of "allergens"; if there are pickles and you don't like pickles, pull them off.   Life will go on.  This isn't a $120 steak cooked to perfection.   As I swung around to leave, I noticed that a line that used to be two cars (me and the van) now stretched back into the parking area.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: August 26, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Preach on all of the above, although I don't understand, why did the lady move her suitcase further away?  I've had to put my bag further back due to space issues and I hate that because it is annoying for offloading the plane, but I don't understand purposely putting it there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: August 26, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »
Not to step on your toes, Stads, but all that reminded me of something. Went through Dunkin Donuts yesterday. Waiting for my delicious cappuccino, and I can see large cups sticking out of the chute on the garbage can at the end of the drive. On my way out, I see the entire chute is just crammed with cups. Made me laugh. Imagine being the last couple of people going through there just trying their damnedest to cram their cups into that chute instead of just holding onto it for another can. The frustration for whoever had to empty that can... lol.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: August 26, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
I also worked the drive through at Boston Market and can say it is truly frustrating to have people come through that way to order insane amounts of specialty orders.  I know for us back then, every drive through transaction was timed.  It's just not fair to compare that type of order to the typical drive through order.  Not much you can do but do your job, but I told myself after that job that I wouldn't abuse drive throughs like that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: August 26, 2019, 09:42:37 AM »
Preach on all of the above, although I don't understand, why did the lady move her suitcase further away?  I've had to put my bag further back due to space issues and I hate that because it is annoying for offloading the plane, but I don't understand purposely putting it there.

I have no idea.  None.  I was in the aisle going to my seat when I saw that, and didn't catch what happened later when we were de-planing.  Made no sense to me at all.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2605 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
First, the obligatory:  If you're in the left lane and moving the speed limit, not passing anyone, or, worse yet, texting, MOVE THE FUCK OVER.  Holy moly.   (And no, I'm not talking about the fine line cases, I'm talking about the obvious, "there are ten cars behind you, and plenty of room to move over" cases.)   At one point, this car was going LESS than the speed limit, sitting in the left lane, and a car behind her decided to pass on the right.  He was in the middle lane (I was already over in the far right lane, where I usually am) and we sort of went by together, just about.    I looked over, and the girl - looked up from her texting and - with her phone in her hand - flipped off the guy passing her, as if HE is in the wrong!   

Had a long road trip this weekend, and this came up a few times.  And I might be missing something or just not sensitive enough to how difficult it must be out there for truckers, but there seems to be a proliferation of trucks slowing traffic for extremely slow passes.  The highway in question is a LONG stretch of Interstate with only two lanes each direction.  Trucks must stay in the right lane, but are allowed to come into the fast lane for passing only.  The problem is, most trucks are going below the speed limit.  So what usually happens is, you have a LONG line of trucks going below the speed limit when one truck decides he wants to pass.  Since the passing truck takes FOREVER to accelerate, and even then, only accelerates to JUST BARELY above the speed limit, which is still WAY slower than the cars want to go, it takes several minutes for that truck to complete its pass and move back over, which then causes of huge glut of cars to pile up being, all growing very impatient.  That scenario happened over and over and over.  I don't get why a trucker needs to pass just to be able to go approximately 2 MPH faster than the trucks he is passing for, what, maybe 15 minutes until he comes to the next line of trucks going 2 MPH slower than he wants. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: August 26, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
You just described what I call "a chain of stupid f*cks" (long story how I came up with that name) for describing exactly what you said.  I road tripped to PA over the weekend and saw it many times.  What I never understood is why the passer doesn't just accelerate a bit more to make the pass quick before going back to their 1mph over the person they passed.  Does no one slow in the left lane ever look in their mirror to see the traffic they are creating?  It seems that way.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: August 26, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
@bosk1

My understanding is that the trucks are set to a maximum speed by company policy (insurance liability or because of fuel consumption metrics) and enforced by technology. The drivers are still expected to reach their destination at specific times plotted by logistic staff. Different freight companies have varying policies but best practices keep the road speeds similar but not exactly the same, thus you get these passing issues with big rigs. As you mentioned, it can occasionally be frustrating to us travelers but I've never known it to really have an effect on overall travel times.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2608 on: August 26, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
Some trucks have a computer set up that if they go over let's say 65 Mph the engine will not allow to go higher or if they do go over for a certain amount of time they are suspended by their company.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: August 26, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »
Yeah the Big Brother tech they have on semis and even work fans for like flooring companies and HVAC companies etc. is crazy. They know where you're at, how fast you're going, even how hard you brake, and a lot of those bigger companies set caps on your speed. The HVAC company I was at - the largest one in North America, mind - capped all the vans at a hard 70, and if you weren't treating the brake gingerly, you'd almost always get docked 'safe driving points' for 'hard braking.'

So for slow trucks I kind of cut them some slack because they have a lot of that BS to put up with

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: August 26, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »
I didn't know anything about that.  I see just as many trucks driving insanely to counter that in my mind, at least here in NJ.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: August 26, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
I know they're commonplace, but I don't know how common they actually are. I know just about every tow truck driver that comes through the shop, or delivery truck, complains about it at some point in the conversation though  :lol I totally believe there are drivers that don't have that stuff and just floor it, as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2612 on: August 26, 2019, 11:51:18 AM »
Measures/laws (e-logs) were put in place a couple of years back to where truck drivers can only driver a certain number of hours per day/week, which should make it safer since you won't have a driver who can barely stay awake trying to make 2,000 miles in 2 days, but on the flip side, you get drivers hauling ass down the highway at 80 MPH to make as much time as they can before their allotted hours per day end (assuming their companies allow it, which many still do).

As for moving in loudly at 1 am in the morning, yowza. That's like the guy who think it's cool to cut his grass with a loud mower at 5 am.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: August 26, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »
One of my college buddies had a next door neighbor that would cut her lawn in the middle of the night. She would wear one of those lights strapped to her head while she did it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2614 on: August 26, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
One of my college buddies had a next door neighbor that would cut her lawn in the middle of the night. She would wear one of those lights strapped to her head while she did it.

Shouldn't that have made it easy for someone to bust out a BB gun and clank one off her shin? :P

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2615 on: August 26, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
Every time Cram mentions working at Boston Market, I crave Meatloaf. The closest Boston Market to me is now... *googles* 55 MILES AWAY! >:(
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: August 26, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »
Every time Cram mentions working at Boston Market, I crave Meatloaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

If you meant the edible kind, I cannot recall ever in my life craving meatloaf. And I didn't know Boston Market was still around.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: August 26, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
I love meatloaf (and Meat Loaf, but we're talking about meatloaf). 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: August 26, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of boston market's meatloaf.  My coworker went there for lunch today and it smelled so much better than my oatmeal and bananas.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2619 on: August 28, 2019, 10:27:11 AM »
I was at a fast food place and went to use the restroom before leaving.  I walked to where they were located, and there were two.  One was marked as "women's," and the other was marked as "all gender restroom."

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this.  Are we just eliminating men's restrooms altogether...but keeping women's restrooms?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2620 on: August 28, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
We saw the same thing in La Jolla last week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: August 28, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
Huh, seen plenty of gender neutral bathrooms up here in woke Seattle, but never an absence of men's rooms.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: August 28, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »
My brother stopped by after taking his son to college and he noted the same thing at his son's college.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2623 on: August 28, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
Well, is an establishment only has two restrooms, and one of them has to be designated gender neutral, it's not like they are going to do a total remodel to add a third restroom.  A lot of places can't do that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: August 28, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
Well, is an establishment only has two restrooms, and one of them has to be designated gender neutral, it's not like they are going to do a total remodel to add a third restroom.  A lot of places can't do that.

True, but I can already see the page-long discussions over why they picked the men's restroom, the sociopolitical arguments over that and whether or not it's sexist, why the men's room and not the women's, etc. - interesting subject for sure.