Author Topic: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2  (Read 308620 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that I find mildly irritating v.2
« Reply #2310 on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »
Holidays. Specifically, what Google considers a holiday. There is a setting where you can turn on US holidays on your calendar, which I have so I don't have to put them in. But then I see Tax Day, which is just the day taxes are due, not a holiday; Easter Monday, which I don't recall ever hearing about in Catholic school; Black Friday, which is a marketing and colloquial term;. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, which again are neither nationally recognized holidays, or even days which many people casually recognize as a holiday. In short, I do not need or want these days highlighted on my calendar as "Holidays."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2311 on: June 19, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
How about Vlasto Day?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2312 on: June 20, 2019, 02:00:03 AM »
People who are all like "People have worse problems." Yeah, they do. But it doesn't make my problems any less valid. Saying stuff like that helps no one.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2313 on: June 20, 2019, 07:35:42 AM »
You're in ICU with an antibiotic-resistant leg infection that won't stop spreading and a fever of 104.6? At least you have a hospital. There's some poor kid in Africa that would just die.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2314 on: June 20, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
You're in ICU with an antibiotic-resistant leg infection that won't stop spreading and a fever of 104.6? At least you have a hospital. There's some poor kid in Africa that would just die.

That just reminded me of something I've come across. And here comes some inside baseball hospital stuff.

Imagine you come into the ED with some wild MRSA infection. Ideally you want an IV antibiotic ASAP. So the doctor orders a one time dose, because they aren't sure you are gonna get admitted yet. So say for instance its ordered around 2pm. Takes 10 to 15mins to make and then gets there maybe 5 to 10 mins later after it gets made.

Now in the meantime, the doctor decided to admit you and you are now just waiting for a room (A process that could take over an hour or hours). Despite there still being a 2pm order, you are now labeled an "Admitted" patient and now ED nurses just assume stuff will get hung on the floor (when you are transferred to a room). So you have this crazy MRSA infection, and you should have gotten an IV antibiotic shortly after 2pm, but now might not get it until 3:30pm or later.

Stuff like that happens all the time.

TLDR  hospitals aren't as safe as you might think

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2315 on: June 20, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
Imagine you come into the ED with some wild MRSA infection. Ideally you want an IV antibiotic ASAP.

Actually, no.  ED isn't an infection at all.  You only need a blue pill, not an antibiotic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2316 on: June 20, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »
Dying in the ER of a combination ED and MRSA while you slip through the administrative cracks is perhaps slightly more than "mildly irritating".

:) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2317 on: June 20, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »
Mildly irritating:  when folks use acronyms that aren't commonly known without explaining what they stand for.  :-\
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: June 20, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
Mildly irritating:  when folks use acronyms that aren't commonly known without explaining what they stand for.  :-\

It's even worse if you're not a native speaker. I usually just skip these kind of conversations whatsoever. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2319 on: June 20, 2019, 12:05:04 PM »

Don't go to the DT side of the forum. It got to the point where I had no idea what anyone was talking about because no one can type out 2-3 word song titles anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: June 20, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »

An older guy I work with constantly uses acronyms that probably people int he 70s didn't know.  I told him stop because I end up having to google everything he says and even then the google results don't match what he tells me.  I think this guy did/does too much drugs.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: June 20, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
Conclusion: people on the DT side of the forum do too much drugs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2322 on: June 20, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
:1967:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: June 20, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »

or are old fogeys, but we already know that is the non DT side  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2324 on: June 20, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »

90% of DT-side is n00bs.  Eventually, everyone migrates over to GD/GMD.  At least, the cool people do.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: June 20, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »

90% of DT-side is n00bs.  Eventually, everyone migrates over to GD/GMD.  At least, the cool people do.   :biggrin:

Or migrated over to NJ for Progstock last year  :biggrin:

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2326 on: June 20, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »

And what if you started on the right side of things here in GD in the first place? ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2327 on: June 20, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

Or migrated over to NJ for Progstock last year  :biggrin:

Just for you baby.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2328 on: June 20, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »
Just got a call that I missed but they left a voicemail, saying that it was my health insurance and they have some new health service promotion or some non sense. Keep in mind its like 9 oclock at night...

so either

A) its scammers (I could hear people laughing and talking in the back ground, real smooth guys)

Or

B) my health insurance thinks its ok to call me at 9pm about non important things

Either way, mildly irritating

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: June 20, 2019, 06:59:36 PM »

And what if you started on the right side of things here in GD in the first place? ;)

That's the coolest of the cool!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2330 on: June 25, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »
I imagine this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I just got out of the restroom at work.  It has four stalls.  Right before I left mine, two people came in, which left 3 of the 4 stalls occupied.  As I was washing my hands, one guy started playing music on his phone (I assume it was his phone) and then started singing along with it!  I literally exclaimed, "what the fuck?!" as I walked out.  Had I still been in the stall, I might have been tempted to do some violence.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2331 on: June 25, 2019, 12:47:53 PM »
Masking the sound of taking a shit because many feel uncomortable. Heck, I would thank him. Better that than hearing his bowel movement. But to each their own.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2332 on: June 25, 2019, 12:48:11 PM »
People who No-Show for interviews.

Dude was so eager over the phone.

Well, I guess there is a reason you have no work history on your resume for the last year, besides a  very brief stint delivering food.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2333 on: June 25, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »
People who No-Show for interviews.

Dude was so eager over the phone.

Well, I guess there is a reason you have no work history on your resume for the last year, besides a  very brief stint delivering food.

You should've told him to bring a hamburger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: June 25, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
Masking the sound of taking a shit because many feel uncomortable. Heck, I would thank him. Better that than hearing his bowel movement. But to each their own.

If his singing was loud enough to cover his bowel movement sounds, that's got to be one really interesting bathroom to be in  :lol

I think it would annoy me too, I'd rather hear the shit hit the water unless this guy was an actual singer who sounded good while clearing his asshole  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2335 on: June 25, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
Its frustrating. We have ads up on Craigslist / zip recruiter / whatever (I don't have control over that), and they all  say resumes are required for consideration. I received 6 responses last week. 3 of them included resumes. 2 of the resumes were from people who we will not hire for reasons (one worked here 2x and ghosted us 2x, the other has set up interviews several times and not shown up). This dude was the only one who looked semi promising.

I even responded to every other email basically introducing myself and asking for a resume before we discuss setting up for an interview (which I have never done before. Usually if there is no resume, I just skip over).

I shouldn't expect much if the person is responding to the ad with "I am interested have guard card and car call me 555-5555 my name is mike"

I imagine this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I just got out of the restroom at work.  It has four stalls.  Right before I left mine, two people came in, which left 3 of the 4 stalls occupied.  As I was washing my hands, one guy started playing music on his phone (I assume it was his phone) and then started singing along with it!  I literally exclaimed, "what the fuck?!" as I walked out.  Had I still been in the stall, I might have been tempted to do some violence.

Should have just gotten all 3 stalls to sing Bohemian Rhapsody together. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2336 on: June 25, 2019, 02:08:41 PM »

If his singing was loud enough to cover his bowel movement sounds, that's got to be one really interesting bathroom to be in  :lol

I think it would annoy me too, I'd rather hear the shit hit the water unless this guy was an actual singer who sounded good while clearing his asshole  :lol

Lol, more power to ya, I'll take the horrid singing rather than his butt metal growls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2337 on: June 25, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
This is why I don't shit in public, right here. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2338 on: June 25, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »
This is why I don't shit in public, right here.

This is why there are stalls, right there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: June 25, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
 :lol

I never liked shitting in public restrooms, until I went to college and it felt like I had no choice since the dorm bathrooms might as well been the public restroom at a gas station.   Got past that fear/disgust real quick.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2340 on: June 25, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
Sometimes, the call of nature is just too strong. I prefer my own porcelain, but sometimes there is no option.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2341 on: June 25, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
Relevant video. NWS. But it is hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexjlM-jjEc

#2 in public is only for the most dire of emergencies. Hell I've held a piss so long just so I could save it for the privacy of home that I couldn't walk straight by the time I pulled up in the driveway. That's not healthy at all, but whatever, public restrooms are the worst thing ever.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2342 on: June 27, 2019, 10:59:06 AM »
So some woman was just convicted of killing her baby by getting shot in the stomach - but it's ok if a doctor cuts it out instead???? WTF with this insanity

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2343 on: June 27, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »
So some woman was just convicted of killing her baby by getting shot in the stomach - but it's ok if a doctor cuts it out instead???? WTF with this insanity

You know this is the "mildly irritating" thread, right?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2344 on: June 27, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »
Mildly irritated that there isn't an OUTRAGE! thread